Moving from Sonar to Samplitude

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
March 15, 2005 8:52:37 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I've been with Cakewalk since the DOS days and this is a somewhat sad
moment for me, but I have decided to move over to the dark side of
Samplitude and for many a good reason.

1. MIDI is not important to me. I play the tune, if I screw it up I
have the chops (keyboard) to play it again. Cut/paste notes, drawing
dynamics etc is simply a total waste of time for a player with decent
chops.
For example Mike Post did much of his TV scoring real time, no MIDI at
all.

2. Sonar's layout/screen has become a jumble of a mess. I don't know
what kind of monitors you gals are using, but I have a 21 inch Sony
(not a flatscreen) and I can barely see all the buttons and stuff.

3. File management is a disaster.

4. Total, in program editing/tracking/mastering/burning. Samplitude
does it, Sonar doesn't or doesn't make it easy.

5. Lastly I have had Sonar 4P screw up 2 recent projects by
interjecting noise, kind of like overloading, into tracks at random
and for no reason at all. I have also had the audio engine just decide
to cut out at verious times for no reason at all. I am running a P4
3.0GHZ with 2 gig of memory and 8 10krpm SCSI drives so I know power
is not the problem. I use a Delta 1010 WDM and I have no problems with
Soundforge/Audtion/Cubase or Samplitude, only Sonar so I know that
Sonar is the problem. FWIW I had no troubles with 3.0.

I'm really not sure where Cakewalk is headed, but like I said, I tried
Samplitude and I am hooked on it. There are some quirks for sure and
the learning curve is steep, but I find that I can generally firgure
things out and with the excellent help system I have been doing pretty
good.

Good luck to all of you,.
Sharon
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:58:14 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

why is Samplitude the "dark side"? It's a superlative product made by
a quality company.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 2:28:15 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Sharon who?
Sharon, I've been playing guitar for about 40 years. I have a few "CHOPS" I
use midi a lot. As stated before, why trash the program here, go to the
samplitude site and post this, it fits there." 8 10k rpm scsi drives? OK,
you win the most hard drives contest, hands down!
Sharon who?
Frank L

<sharon_wizard@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been with Cakewalk since the DOS days and this is a somewhat sad
> moment for me, but I have decided to move over to the dark side of
> Samplitude and for many a good reason.
>
> 1. MIDI is not important to me. I play the tune, if I screw it up I
> have the chops (keyboard) to play it again. Cut/paste notes, drawing
> dynamics etc is simply a total waste of time for a player with decent
> chops.
> For example Mike Post did much of his TV scoring real time, no MIDI at
> all.
>
> 2. Sonar's layout/screen has become a jumble of a mess. I don't know
> what kind of monitors you gals are using, but I have a 21 inch Sony
> (not a flatscreen) and I can barely see all the buttons and stuff.
>
> 3. File management is a disaster.
>
> 4. Total, in program editing/tracking/mastering/burning. Samplitude
> does it, Sonar doesn't or doesn't make it easy.
>
> 5. Lastly I have had Sonar 4P screw up 2 recent projects by
> interjecting noise, kind of like overloading, into tracks at random
> and for no reason at all. I have also had the audio engine just decide
> to cut out at verious times for no reason at all. I am running a P4
> 3.0GHZ with 2 gig of memory and 8 10krpm SCSI drives so I know power
> is not the problem. I use a Delta 1010 WDM and I have no problems with
> Soundforge/Audtion/Cubase or Samplitude, only Sonar so I know that
> Sonar is the problem. FWIW I had no troubles with 3.0.
>
> I'm really not sure where Cakewalk is headed, but like I said, I tried
> Samplitude and I am hooked on it. There are some quirks for sure and
> the learning curve is steep, but I find that I can generally firgure
> things out and with the excellent help system I have been doing pretty
> good.
>
> Good luck to all of you,.
> Sharon
March 16, 2005 3:06:52 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Just because someone can't play the keyboard well says nothing about
their ability as a composer or a musician. There are other midi
controllers besides keyboards, for one, secondly some of my favorite
music was made by people without "chops"... and I'm not talking about
MIDI.

Al
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 5:44:40 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

What exactly you are looking for here is not clear, as you've already made
up your mind. But I can add a few things not to try to change your mind,
but just to see how another long time Cakewalk/Sonar user thinks:

1. Firstly, MIDI isn't necessarily for people without "chops". I have fine
keyboard skills and use a multitude of MIDI functions for orchestration,
such as doubling lines, retrograding lines, transposing, patch changes,
expression changes, ADSR changes, etc. MIDI is a language, a protocol, a
set of tools for a composer. Since composition has little to do with
"playing chops", particularly in non-pop complex music, MIDI functions serve
composers quite well. If your idea of composition is to play something and
then overdub, well, then that is your idea.

2. Sonar has one of the cleanest, most flexible screen layout possibilities
imaginable. Cakewalk has improved it every year. Do you know how to set
up layouts and use hotkeys to switch quickly between views? It sounds like
you don't.

3. File management is as easy as on any computer program. Before Sonar,
the cryptic names of audio files was annoying, but Sonar got rid of that
problem. How hard can it be to manage audio files? They're all in whatever
folder you want them in and you just back them up when done recording onto a
CD or DVD.

4. I don't see how Sonar can interject noise into an audio project. There
very most likely is a wrong setting, a feedback loop, a synth that has a
stuck note, or some other issue. I've used Sonar for 3 CD projects without
a problem.

5. Every software program has bugs and quirks, aside from the learning
curve. You may find you are completely happy with Samplitude for the audio,
but I'm not sure you understand how to exploit MIDI. Then again, you may
find quirks in Samplitude that annoy you too. Good luck.

Jerry Gerber
www.jerrygerber.com

"Sharon" <sharon_wizard@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been with Cakewalk since the DOS days and this is a somewhat sad
> moment for me, but I have decided to move over to the dark side of
> Samplitude and for many a good reason.
>
> 1. MIDI is not important to me. I play the tune, if I screw it up I
> have the chops (keyboard) to play it again. Cut/paste notes, drawing
> dynamics etc is simply a total waste of time for a player with decent
> chops.
> For example Mike Post did much of his TV scoring real time, no MIDI at
> all.
>
> 2. Sonar's layout/screen has become a jumble of a mess. I don't know
> what kind of monitors you gals are using, but I have a 21 inch Sony
> (not a flatscreen) and I can barely see all the buttons and stuff.
>
> 3. File management is a disaster.
>
> 4. Total, in program editing/tracking/mastering/burning. Samplitude
> does it, Sonar doesn't or doesn't make it easy.
>
> 5. Lastly I have had Sonar 4P screw up 2 recent projects by
> interjecting noise, kind of like overloading, into tracks at random
> and for no reason at all. I have also had the audio engine just decide
> to cut out at verious times for no reason at all. I am running a P4
> 3.0GHZ with 2 gig of memory and 8 10krpm SCSI drives so I know power
> is not the problem. I use a Delta 1010 WDM and I have no problems with
> Soundforge/Audtion/Cubase or Samplitude, only Sonar so I know that
> Sonar is the problem. FWIW I had no troubles with 3.0.
>
> I'm really not sure where Cakewalk is headed, but like I said, I tried
> Samplitude and I am hooked on it. There are some quirks for sure and
> the learning curve is steep, but I find that I can generally firgure
> things out and with the excellent help system I have been doing pretty
> good.
>
> Good luck to all of you,.
> Sharon
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:48:42 AM

Frank L wrote:

> I've been playing guitar for about 40 years.

You know you have only been playing 39 1/2 years. Be Honest. <g>

PapaNate
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:48:43 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Yeah, I know, but I wanted it to be an even number.
Frankl

"PapaNate" <nospamagain@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Frank L wrote:
>
>> I've been playing guitar for about 40 years.
>
> You know you have only been playing 39 1/2 years. Be Honest. <g>
>
> PapaNate

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 8:31:27 AM

Stephanie wrote:

> I really think you need to grow up a little bit papanate.

The point I was making which you seemed to misunderstand is that the software any
person chooses to use has little or nothing to do with the level of
professionalism coming from them. Or If something appears and sounds amateur, it's
most likely the operator and not the product these days.

PapaNate
March 16, 2005 8:31:28 AM

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 05:31:27 +0000, PapaNate wrote:

> Stephanie wrote:
>
>> I really think you need to grow up a little bit papanate.
>
> The point I was making which you seemed to misunderstand is that the software any
> person chooses to use has little or nothing to do with the level of
> professionalism coming from them. Or If something appears and sounds amateur, it's
> most likely the operator and not the product these days.
>
> PapaNate

Ok, I missed your point then.
I agree with that totally.
Steph
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:00:55 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In news:4237C4B0.A7177F46@nc.rr.com the killer robot PapaNate
<nospamagain@nc.rr.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

>> I really think you need to grow up a little bit papanate.
>
> The point I was making which you seemed to misunderstand is that the
> software any person chooses to use has little or nothing to do with
> the level of professionalism coming from them. Or If something appears
> and sounds amateur, it's most likely the operator and not the product
> these days.

So a DAW is just a tool?

<Lynyrd Nimmoy>

If I had a hammer . . .

</Lynyrd Nimmoy>

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to reply by email.
_______ _____ ___ _____ ____

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In news:YJWdnSQ9n_RLIKrfRVn-pQ@adelphia.com the killer robot "Frank L"
<frankl6224@IHATESPAMadelphia.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

>>> I've been playing guitar for about 40 years.

>> You know you have only been playing 39 1/2 years. Be Honest. <g>

> Yeah, I know, but I wanted it to be an even number.

That's odd.

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to reply by email.
_______ _____ ___ _____ ____
/ ___/ / / __/ |/ / |/ / _ )/ __ \
/ (_ / /__/ _// / / _ / /_/ /
\___/____/___/_/|_/_/|_/____/\____/
Glennbo These go to eleven
Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:37:51 AM

Glennbo wrote:

> So a DAW is just a tool?

Well from a Glennbo perspective...more like a conduit. <g>

PapaNate
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 9:38:24 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

> You know you have only been playing 39 1/2 years. Be Honest. <g>
>
> > Yeah, I know, but I wanted it to be an even number.
>
> That's odd.

Bada Bing! LOL!
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:19:56 AM

"Jerry Gerber" <jerrysgerber@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:s4NZd.9749$oO4.2200@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> 1. Firstly, MIDI isn't necessarily for people without "chops".

I can barely play a C scale on a keyboard and NOT with both hands at once,
and MIDI is absolutely essential to my compositions and has been for decades.

Steve
March 16, 2005 10:19:57 AM

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:19:56 +0000, Steve Karl wrote:

> "Jerry Gerber" <jerrysgerber@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:s4NZd.9749$oO4.2200@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>
>> 1. Firstly, MIDI isn't necessarily for people without "chops".
>

> I can barely play a C scale on a keyboard and NOT with both hands at once,
> and MIDI is absolutely essential to my compositions and has been for decades.
>
> Steve

And I'll bet they sound that way,
Sorry.....
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:59:10 AM

In article <Xns961B999C16BBrownShoesDontMakeIt@68.12.19.6> vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss@cox.net writes:

> So a DAW is just a tool?

What else? Even if it wrote music for you, it would still be just a
tool.

March 16, 2005 4:59:50 PM

"Frank L" <frankl6224@IHATESPAMadelphia.net> wrote in message
> Stephanie,
> What you mean to say is "YOUR" midi tracks sound lifeless, Mine don't,
> because I understand music and midi composition. Midi is just another
> tool, in the right hands it's great, obviouisly in your hands it's not. I
> have heard some classical piano players that sounded more robotic than any
> midi piece. So please think before you speak and make such broad
> uninformed statements.
> Frank L

I have to agree. I guarantee I could put up some MIDI tracks that can't be
told from "live" musicians. For those interested in strings and knocking out
quick, realistic files check out: http://www.synful.com/. Be sure and listen
to the "User Demos" (and not just the ones Synful shows on front). Better
yet download the fully functioning demo and try it.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 5:33:34 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

The entity known as PapaNate, posted:

>> So a DAW is just a tool?
>
> Well from a Glennbo perspective...more like a conduit. <g>

Hehe, I just press record and then play some stuff. I'm sure I could
use any DAW sofware that has a record button on each track, and some
FX that can be plugged afterward in for mixing. I used to use a six
foot tall Ampex, and it's interface was fairly similar to Sonar. Arm
a track, record, lather, rinse, repeat. ;)

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email

_______ _____ ___ _____ ____
/ ___/ / / __/ |/ / |/ / _ )/ __ \
/ (_ / /__/ _// / / _ / /_/ /
\___/____/___/_/|_/_/|_/____/\____/
Glennbo These go to eleven
Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 8:10:40 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> In that case, why haven't I seen a decent scrub control since the Orban
> Audicy was discontinued?

Not liking the GUI or not understanding the help files as the poster stated has
nothing to do with professional standards of a software package.

How does a scrub tool or the lack there of make any program less professional?

PapaNate
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 8:40:33 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

The entity known as PapaNate, posted:

> How does a scrub tool or the lack there of make any program less
> professional?

How would you know where to cut the tape on the splicing block without one?

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email

_______ _____ ___ _____ ____
/ ___/ / / __/ |/ / |/ / _ )/ __ \
/ (_ / /__/ _// / / _ / /_/ /
\___/____/___/_/|_/_/|_/____/\____/
Glennbo These go to eleven
Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:28:57 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

You didn't understand what I wrote. MIDI is a tool. Just as a Stradivarius
violin or a Steinway B piano will not make you a great musician, MIDI won't
either. You bring a high level of musical imagination and ability to these
tools or you don't. MIDI can be used by skilled pianists or by those who
don't play a note on the keyboard. Compositional ability isn't the same
thing as playing ability, which accounts for so many improvising players
misunderstanding the potential of MIDI in composition.

Jerry Gerber
www.jerrygerber.com

"Steve Karl" <nospam@noway.com> wrote in message

> "Jerry Gerber" <jerrysgerber@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >
> > 1. Firstly, MIDI isn't necessarily for people without "chops".
>

> I can barely play a C scale on a keyboard and NOT with both hands at once,
> and MIDI is absolutely essential to my compositions and has been for
decades.

> Steve

Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:43:00 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi agin and bye agin

"Sharon" <sharon_wizard@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've been with Cakewalk since the DOS days and this is a somewhat sad
> moment for me, but I have decided to move over to the dark side of
> Samplitude and for many a good reason.
>
> 1. MIDI is not important to me. I play the tune, if I screw it up I
> have the chops (keyboard) to play it again. Cut/paste notes, drawing
> dynamics etc is simply a total waste of time for a player with decent
> chops.
> For example Mike Post did much of his TV scoring real time, no MIDI at
> all.
>
> 2. Sonar's layout/screen has become a jumble of a mess. I don't know
> what kind of monitors you gals are using, but I have a 21 inch Sony
> (not a flatscreen) and I can barely see all the buttons and stuff.
>
> 3. File management is a disaster.
>
> 4. Total, in program editing/tracking/mastering/burning. Samplitude
> does it, Sonar doesn't or doesn't make it easy.
>
> 5. Lastly I have had Sonar 4P screw up 2 recent projects by
> interjecting noise, kind of like overloading, into tracks at random
> and for no reason at all. I have also had the audio engine just decide
> to cut out at verious times for no reason at all. I am running a P4
> 3.0GHZ with 2 gig of memory and 8 10krpm SCSI drives so I know power
> is not the problem. I use a Delta 1010 WDM and I have no problems with
> Soundforge/Audtion/Cubase or Samplitude, only Sonar so I know that
> Sonar is the problem. FWIW I had no troubles with 3.0.
>
> I'm really not sure where Cakewalk is headed, but like I said, I tried
> Samplitude and I am hooked on it. There are some quirks for sure and
> the learning curve is steep, but I find that I can generally firgure
> things out and with the excellent help system I have been doing pretty
> good.
>
> Good luck to all of you,.
> Sharon

March 18, 2005 12:28:11 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 15 Mar 2005, Stephanie <ben_was_a_rat@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I too am not a big MIDI user so I refrain from commenting on MIDI.

You should have stopped right there.

> I prefer to play parts live and get a live feeling instead of
> playing with the cut and paste tools and getting a robotic,
> lifeless track. MIDI died in the 80's with the DX7 sound and
> should remain there. Just my opinion.

MIDI has nothing to do with robotic and lifeless, or with sounding like
a DX7. You seem to be confused about what MIDI is and does.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 6:48:40 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

The entity known as Nil, posted:

>> I too am not a big MIDI user so I refrain from commenting on MIDI.
>
> You should have stopped right there.
>
>> I prefer to play parts live and get a live feeling instead of
>> playing with the cut and paste tools and getting a robotic,
>> lifeless track. MIDI died in the 80's with the DX7 sound and
>> should remain there. Just my opinion.
>
> MIDI has nothing to do with robotic and lifeless, or with sounding like
> a DX7. You seem to be confused about what MIDI is and does.

Hehe, every one of my midi tracks sounds more like drums than a DX7. ;)

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email

_______ _____ ___ _____ ____
/ ___/ / / __/ |/ / |/ / _ )/ __ \
/ (_ / /__/ _// / / _ / /_/ /
\___/____/___/_/|_/_/|_/____/\____/
Glennbo These go to eleven
Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
March 18, 2005 6:48:41 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 18 Mar 2005, Glennbo <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss@cox.net> wrote in

> Hehe, every one of my midi tracks sounds more like drums than a
> DX7. ;)

Well, there you have it, a perfect example! You obviously pay a lot of
attention to your drum track, and it pays off, because they sound very
alive.

If things sound robotic and lifeless, it's not an inherent fault due to
use of MIDI. The problem is the player/programmer. If you're using
elecronic instruments, and if you were to play them live and capture
the MIDI output, I doubt whether a listener could tell the difference
between the original audio output of the instrument and the MIDI
recording played back through that same instrument.

MIDI doesn't have to be cut 'n paste 'n quantize. And even if you do
it, that doesn't necessarily make it sound robotic.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:38:25 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Glennbo <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss@cox.net> had a hissy fit and proceeded to
hunt'n'peck news:Xns961D63CE18574BrownShoesDontMakeIt@151.164.30.42:

> Hehe, every one of my midi tracks sounds more like drums than a DX7. ;)

That's because you cheat! =;)

--
Elmer Tiberius Fudd <--He's dim, Jed...
remove STUPIDITY to reply, however, STUPIDITY was engaged when send button

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:28:11 -0600, Nil wrote:

> On 15 Mar 2005, Stephanie <ben_was_a_rat@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> I too am not a big MIDI user so I refrain from commenting on MIDI.
>
> You should have stopped right there.
>
>> I prefer to play parts live and get a live feeling instead of
>> playing with the cut and paste tools and getting a robotic,
>> lifeless track. MIDI died in the 80's with the DX7 sound and
>> should remain there. Just my opinion.
>
> MIDI has nothing to do with robotic and lifeless, or with sounding like
> a DX7. You seem to be confused about what MIDI is and does.

Aside from that, a properly programmed and played FM synth like a DX7 can
be a very expressive instrument. Check how Brian Eno uses his (and still
does). In my opinion, things went downhill after sample based synths
appeared, which while sounding more 'realistic', limited the range of
sounds and expression enormously. You can never affect the fundamental
nature of a sample in real time in the same way that pure synthesis makes
possible. (Though admittedly my v-synth can do some damm cool stuff.)

It takes skill and practice to get great results out of FM, but that ain't
always a bad thing. Unfortunately, that meant most people stuck with the
presets. Once you 'get it' though, anything from the most vicious blips
and basses to big warm pads are possible.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:55:56 PM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

The entity known as Elmer Tiberius Fudd, posted:

>> Hehe, every one of my midi tracks sounds more like drums than a DX7. ;)
>
> That's because you cheat! =;)

Hehe, if only I had the chops to play reel drums. ;)

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email

_______ _____ ___ _____ ____
/ ___/ / / __/ |/ / |/ / _ )/ __ \
/ (_ / /__/ _// / / _ / /_/ /
\___/____/___/_/|_/_/|_/____/\____/
Glennbo These go to eleven
Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 9:59:18 PM

philicorda wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:28:11 -0600, Nil wrote:
>

>>On 15 Mar 2005, Stephanie <ben_was_a_rat@yahoo.com> wrote in
>>

>>>I too am not a big MIDI user so I refrain from commenting on MIDI.
>>
>>You should have stopped right there.
>>

>>>I prefer to play parts live and get a live feeling instead of
>>>playing with the cut and paste tools and getting a robotic,
>>>lifeless track. MIDI died in the 80's with the DX7 sound and
>>>should remain there. Just my opinion.
>>
>>MIDI has nothing to do with robotic and lifeless, or with sounding like
>>a DX7. You seem to be confused about what MIDI is and does.
>

> Aside from that, a properly programmed and played FM synth like a DX7 can
> be a very expressive instrument. Check how Brian Eno uses his (and still
> does). In my opinion, things went downhill after sample based synths
> appeared, which while sounding more 'realistic', limited the range of
> sounds and expression enormously. You can never affect the fundamental
> nature of a sample in real time in the same way that pure synthesis makes
> possible. (Though admittedly my v-synth can do some damm cool stuff.)
>
> It takes skill and practice to get great results out of FM, but that ain't
> always a bad thing. Unfortunately, that meant most people stuck with the
> presets. Once you 'get it' though, anything from the most vicious blips
> and basses to big warm pads are possible.

Completely agree. I love my TX816. If you treat it like one big synth (8
seperate "partial" per sound, each with a lot of control via key vel,
note etc) you end up with wonderful and highly inspirational sounds.
I think it was the last of the true synths before Sample based synthesis
came along.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 6:20:31 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In news:Xns961D9C4BBAB58nilch1@216.196.97.136 the killer robot Nil
<rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

>> Hehe, every one of my midi tracks sounds more like drums than a
>> DX7. ;)
>
> Well, there you have it, a perfect example! You obviously pay a lot of
> attention to your drum track, and it pays off, because they sound very
> alive.
>
> If things sound robotic and lifeless, it's not an inherent fault due to
> use of MIDI. The problem is the player/programmer. If you're using
> elecronic instruments, and if you were to play them live and capture
> the MIDI output, I doubt whether a listener could tell the difference
> between the original audio output of the instrument and the MIDI
> recording played back through that same instrument.
>
> MIDI doesn't have to be cut 'n paste 'n quantize. And even if you do
> it, that doesn't necessarily make it sound robotic.

I also like having access to things like the Native Instruments B4 organ,
because having a Hammond and a Leslie in my room with two sets of drums
http://members.cox.net/glennbo/Drumz.jpg would be just a bit too crowded.

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to reply by email.
_______ _____ ___ _____ ____
/ ___/ / / __/ |/ / |/ / _ )/ __ \
/ (_ / /__/ _// / / _ / /_/ /
\___/____/___/_/|_/_/|_/____/\____/
Glennbo These go to eleven
Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
March 19, 2005 6:20:32 AM

> I also like having access to things like the Native Instruments B4
> organ, because having a Hammond and a Leslie in my room with two
> sets of drums http://members.cox.net/glennbo/Drumz.jpg would be
> just a bit too crowded.

The keyboard player in an old band of mine used to use a Hammond B-
something organ and a Fender Rhodes. This is when synthesizers were
just becoming available, so the Rhodes was about the most portable
keyboard you could get at the time. I can hardly believe we schlepped
those hogs around like we did.

I'm going to jam with this guy I met recently who is a Hammond organ
collector and repairman. He's got 14 of them!

Several months ago I played with this guy who used a light, portable
keyboard hooked up to a laptop running, among other things, NI B4. It
sounded pretty damn good!
March 19, 2005 6:20:32 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 18 Mar 2005, Glennbo <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss@cox.net> wrote in

> I also like having access to things like the Native Instruments B4
> organ, because having a Hammond and a Leslie in my room with two
> sets of drums http://members.cox.net/glennbo/Drumz.jpg would be
> just a bit too crowded.

p.s. - I dig the hot rod flame job. All you need is a Big Daddy Roth
decal on there somewhere and you're good to go.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 9:07:33 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In news:Xns961E728C34EEnilch1@216.196.97.136 the killer robot Nil
<rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

> The keyboard player in an old band of mine used to use a Hammond B-
> something organ and a Fender Rhodes. This is when synthesizers were
> just becoming available, so the Rhodes was about the most portable
> keyboard you could get at the time. I can hardly believe we schlepped
> those hogs around like we did.

Sounds like my old band from the 70s and 80s. We lugged around a bunch
of heavy keyboards and two Leslies. The guitar player had one too.

> I'm going to jam with this guy I met recently who is a Hammond organ
> collector and repairman. He's got 14 of them!

Organfreak? ;)

> Several months ago I played with this guy who used a light, portable
> keyboard hooked up to a laptop running, among other things, NI B4. It
> sounded pretty damn good!

The B4 is the best B3/Leslie simulation around, and it take *zero*
space, but you gotta have midi to use it. I use the Leslie part of it
all the time on guitars and vocals.

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to reply by email.
_______ _____ ___ _____ ____
/ ___/ / / __/ |/ / |/ / _ )/ __ \
/ (_ / /__/ _// / / _ / /_/ /
\___/____/___/_/|_/_/|_/____/\____/
Glennbo These go to eleven
Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 9:08:21 AM

Archived from groups: cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In news:Xns961E7F891C24nilch1@216.196.97.136 the killer robot Nil
<rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

> p.s. - I dig the hot rod flame job. All you need is a Big Daddy Roth
> decal on there somewhere and you're good to go.

Here's a better pic of that kit.

http://members.cox.net/glennbo/Drums/Drums.jpg

--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to reply by email.
_______ _____ ___ _____ ____
/ ___/ / / __/ |/ / |/ / _ )/ __ \
/ (_ / /__/ _// / / _ / /_/ /
\___/____/___/_/|_/_/|_/____/\____/
Glennbo These go to eleven
Non-Linear Sound http://www.soundclick.com/glennbo
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/jambits
March 19, 2005 10:20:09 PM

.. . . "Big Daddy Roth" . . . . Jesus . . . thanks for reminding me.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:47:05 -0600, Nil
<rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:

>On 18 Mar 2005, Glennbo <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss@cox.net> wrote in
>
>> I also like having access to things like the Native Instruments B4
>> organ, because having a Hammond and a Leslie in my room with two
>> sets of drums http://members.cox.net/glennbo/Drumz.jpg would be
>> just a bit too crowded.
>
>p.s. - I dig the hot rod flame job. All you need is a Big Daddy Roth
>decal on there somewhere and you're good to go.

--

Monroe
March 20, 2005 4:48:42 PM

On 19 Mar 2005, Monroe <minburn1@telus.net> wrote in
news:o tuo31t0gvieq109rce31296ob2bihd9he@4ax.com:

> . . . "Big Daddy Roth" . . . . Jesus . . . thanks for reminding me.

Rat Fink lives!
!