RoN Thrones & Patriots patches

thread, I've recently dusted off and installed RoN and its expansion
(Thrones & Patriots). Both the base game and the expansion require
patching after install, and I can't find the patches anywhere. I
finally gave up and clicked "Search for Update" in the game itself, and
it took AN HOUR to download the 10Mb patch for the expansion.

I don't know if that was the server giving low priority to an old game
or what, but it's not acceptable. 10Mb should take me about 2 mins to
download, and even that would be painful if I reinstalled it every few
months.

Surely someone has, by now, distributed the latest patches in
stand-alone format? (These are "patch 4" for Ron and "patch 2" for
T&P.) Can anyone help me find them?

Also, do I need to update RoN if T&P is already fully updated? I don't
think I could stand another hour ...

CC
9 answers Last reply
More about thrones patriots patches
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    I can't really comment on the patching for RoN.

    However, my first - and usually only - stop for updates is always
    http://www.patches-scrolls.de/

    They currently have Rise of Nations 1.03.08 standing at 10MB with
    several mirror sites.

    Regards,

    -von Schmidt
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Yes, that's right, that's RoN "patch 3", which seems to be the last
    released as a stand-alone patch. I simply can't believe that customers
    are expected to waste their bandwidth downloading patches every time
    they reinstall. I do not know another game where you have to do this -
    every other game I own has the patches available (on patches-scrolls or
    elsewhere).

    CC
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    magnate wrote:

    > thread, I've recently dusted off and installed RoN and its expansion
    > (Thrones & Patriots). Both the base game and the expansion require
    > patching after install, and I can't find the patches anywhere. I
    > finally gave up and clicked "Search for Update" in the game itself, and
    > it took AN HOUR to download the 10Mb patch for the expansion.

    It sounds like you just had bad luck with a faulty network connection. I
    recall the download being closer to 2 minutes, as you suggest later.

    > I don't know if that was the server giving low priority to an old game
    > or what, but it's not acceptable. 10Mb should take me about 2 mins to
    > download, and even that would be painful if I reinstalled it every few
    > months.

    AFAIK and in my experience they are not lowering your priority you just
    had a bad connection. Hopefully temporarily.

    > Also, do I need to update RoN if T&P is already fully updated? I don't
    > think I could stand another hour ...

    You do not. If T&P is patched you're ready to roll.

    1) Install RON
    2) Install T&P
    3) Patch T&P
    4) Destroy the enemy

    That's how I did it and it worked for me!

    Hope this helps.

    - General Sheldon
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    My bad: I didn't realise your issue with the patches was the lack of
    standalone files instead of location.

    I'm pretty sure that Diablo2 forced you to update online for a while,
    although all it's patches are standalone now.

    -von Schmidt
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Actually, when you click on "Search for Update" it saves patch4 to your
    harddrive. (I cant remember where as it's been a long time since I played
    this game). You need to find the location and then save that file. Next time
    you install, you can simply run that file and it will update the program.

    I assume it's the same with T&P but I never bought that, so I cant be sure.

    Richard

    "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Yes, that's right, that's RoN "patch 3", which seems to be the last
    > released as a stand-alone patch. I simply can't believe that customers
    > are expected to waste their bandwidth downloading patches every time
    > they reinstall. I do not know another game where you have to do this -
    > every other game I own has the patches available (on patches-scrolls or
    > elsewhere).
    >
    > CC

  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    rlsuth wrote:
    > Actually, when you click on "Search for Update" it saves patch4 to your
    > harddrive. (I cant remember where as it's been a long time since I played
    > this game). You need to find the location and then save that file. Next time
    > you install, you can simply run that file and it will update the program.
    >
    > I assume it's the same with T&P but I never bought that, so I cant be sure.

    I thought of this too - it saves a 10Mb file called "patch.rtp" in the
    RoN install dir. So I've saved that for the next time I install, but
    how will I go about using it? It's not associated with any particular
    application, nor is it executable.

    Any tips appreciated. I'm sufficiently curious that I might do an
    uninstall and reinstall to check it out.

    CC
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote

    > So I've saved that for the next time I install, but
    > how will I go about using it?

    Dug out my old back-up CD and found my notes:

    1 - Click the start button and select "Run".

    2 - Type in "cmd" and press enter. This will bring up the command prompt
    window. (For Win9x users, select the command prompt from the start menu)

    3 - Type in "cd\" and then "cd X", where X is the location of the main Rise
    of Nations folder on your system.
    (Eg. cd Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations)

    4 - Once in the root folder for Rise of Nations, type
    "rise /patch patch.rtp /p". The patch should then begin to install.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On 26 Sep 2005 01:45:09 -0700, von Schmidt wrote:

    > I'm pretty sure that Diablo2 forced you to update online for a while,
    > although all it's patches are standalone now.

    No, Blizzard has always offered standalone patches for D2 on ther FTP
    server.

    M.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    rlsuth wrote:
    > "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk> wrote
    > >
    > > So I've saved that for the next time I install, but
    > > how will I go about using it?
    >
    > Dug out my old back-up CD and found my notes:
    >
    > 1 - Click the start button and select "Run".
    >
    > 2 - Type in "cmd" and press enter. This will bring up the command prompt
    > window. (For Win9x users, select the command prompt from the start menu)
    >
    > 3 - Type in "cd\" and then "cd X", where X is the location of the main Rise
    > of Nations folder on your system.
    > (Eg. cd Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations)
    >
    > 4 - Once in the root folder for Rise of Nations, type
    > "rise /patch patch.rtp /p". The patch should then begin to install.

    Yay! Many thanks - will try that tonight,

    CC

PC gaming Download Games Video Games