F$C America-roaming 100% of the time

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
January 30, 2005 6:03:43 PM

I've got a friend that temporarily relocated in Kanab UT 84741 area. He
was in the Denver market not roaming at all.

He loaded up his motorhome, signed up for
F&C America, and was on his way to Arizona.

Problem is he stopped in Kanab UT for the past few months. He was
unaware (until I informed him) that he was only suposed to roam 50% of
the time.

I looked at his online invoices and, WOW, he's been roaming 100%, using
an average of 650 of his 850 peak mins a month! He has not one "home"
(Sprint) minute.

How long can he get away with this?
Will they call to warn him? Or just take the roaming feature off of his
account?

I was thinking of doing an ESN swap, his phone and my phone. That way
he could roam on my account for a while, while I rake up some non roam
mins in the Denver market for him. (Denver is his home market)

Temp solution, I know, but maybe he'll soon be in a Sprint home market.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 30, 2005 8:12:02 PM

In article <41FD59BF.28A6AD0E@stu.net>, stu@stu.net says...
> I was thinking of doing an ESN swap, his phone and my phone. That way
> he could roam on my account for a while, while I rake up some non roam
> mins in the Denver market for him. (Denver is his home market)

He should have received a warning with the first bill that had that kind
of roaming usage. Subsequent use in that manner should have caused the
F&CA add-on to be removed.

However, an "ESN SWAP" will *not* alter the usage on this account. If
you are simply talking of handing the phones over to each other, that'll
work. But, if you have Sprint PCS program HIS number into YOUR phone,
and vice versa, then the usage stays on the account, not on the phone.

--
RØß
O/Siris

Wonder what it costs Sprint. A customer that roams 650 min a month (all
peak) on verizon or cellular one? They charge us $.40 or so a min, but what
does the roaming partner charge Sprint?

O/Siris wrote:

> In article <41FD59BF.28A6AD0E@stu.net>, stu@stu.net says...
> > I was thinking of doing an ESN swap, his phone and my phone. That way
> > he could roam on my account for a while, while I rake up some non roam
> > mins in the Denver market for him. (Denver is his home market)
> >

> He should have received a warning with the first bill that had that kind
> of roaming usage. Subsequent use in that manner should have caused the
> F&CA add-on to be removed.
>
> However, an "ESN SWAP" will *not* alter the usage on this account. If
> you are simply talking of handing the phones over to each other, that'll
> work. But, if you have Sprint PCS program HIS number into YOUR phone,
> and vice versa, then the usage stays on the account, not on the phone.
>
> --
> RØß
> O/Siris
> -+-
> A thing moderately good
> is not so good as it ought to be.
> Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
> but moderation in principle is always a vice.
> +Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792+
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 1:16:44 AM

stu wrote:
> Wonder what it costs Sprint. A customer that roams 650 min a month (all
> peak) on verizon or cellular one? They charge us $.40 or so a min, but what
> does the roaming partner charge Sprint?

No.

If you're using F&CA you DON'T get charged per minute. That's why Sprint
restricts the amount of airtime you use... With the 50% restriction, Sprint is
trying to minimize the amount of roaming airtime they're billed for, because
they can't charge the roaming fees to the customer (due to the way F&CA is set up.)

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 1:57:09 AM

The magic number is three months. Those who have reported here have had a
least SOME Sprint PCS minutes in that time, and even then weren't brick
walled. In this case, I would expect to be notified about this, some time
in the 4th month. Will he be "home" by then and say, "it'll never happen
again"? If not, then the best course of action is to accept a non-ETF
cancellation and switch to Verizon.

And even then, all of the reports of being dropped from Sprint I've heard
have been 2nd hand. I would expect at least probation from the company
that's king of retention.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

"stu" >
> How long can he get away with this?
> Will they call to warn him? Or just take the roaming feature off of his
> account?

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 2:04:58 AM

Bill Radio wrote:

> The magic number is three months. Those who have reported here have had a
> least SOME Sprint PCS minutes in that time, and even then weren't brick
> walled. In this case, I would expect to be notified about this, some time
> in the 4th month. Will he be "home" by then and say, "it'll never happen
> again"? If not, then the best course of action is to accept a non-ETF
> cancellation and switch to Verizon.
>
> And even then, all of the reports of being dropped from Sprint I've heard
> have been 2nd hand. I would expect at least probation from the company
> that's king of retention.

Why wouldn't they just bill him for his >50% roaming?

Notan
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 2:04:59 AM

Notan wrote:

> Why wouldn't they just bill him for his >50% roaming?

I think that would be a customer service nightmare -- "But you guys TOLD me I
wouldn't get charged roaming! Now I have $200 in roaming charges this month!"

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 2:12:07 AM

Steve Sobol wrote:

> Notan wrote:
>
> > Why wouldn't they just bill him for his >50% roaming?
>
> I think that would be a customer service nightmare -- "But you guys TOLD me I
> wouldn't get charged roaming! Now I have $200 in roaming charges this month!"

Not if the customer violated the terms of the agreement...

"Enjoy no additional charges for roaming in this expanded coverage area,
reaching more than 280 million people, as long as less than half of your
monthly call time is used while roaming."

Notan
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 2:51:53 AM

Notan wrote:
> Steve Sobol wrote:
>
>>Notan wrote:
>>

>>>Why wouldn't they just bill him for his >50% roaming?
>>
>>I think that would be a customer service nightmare -- "But you guys TOLD me I
>>wouldn't get charged roaming! Now I have $200 in roaming charges this month!"
>

> Not if the customer violated the terms of the agreement...
>
> "Enjoy no additional charges for roaming in this expanded coverage area,
> reaching more than 280 million people, as long as less than half of your
> monthly call time is used while roaming."

That'd be great if most people actually read their contracts.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
January 31, 2005 12:36:39 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> stu wrote:
>> Wonder what it costs Sprint. A customer that roams 650 min a month
>> (all peak) on verizon or cellular one? They charge us $.40 or so a
>> min,
>> but what does the roaming partner charge Sprint?
>
> No.
>
> If you're using F&CA you DON'T get charged per minute. That's why
> Sprint restricts the amount of airtime you use... With the 50%
> restriction,
> Sprint is trying to minimize the amount of roaming airtime they're
> billed for, because they can't charge the roaming fees to the customer
> (due to the way
> F&CA is set up.)

"No?" That's an invalid reply. (Did you actually read what the guy
wrote?) He specifically inquired how much *Sprint* gets charged for
roaming, by a roaming partner. The comment about .40 per minute was an
illustration--to show what SPCS charges people without a F&CA plan,
presumably to find out how much profit, if any, is in that .40. I don't
see how that post could be taken any other way.

--
Mike | Most people don't realize that large pieces of
| coral, attached to the skull by common wood
| screws, can make a child look like a deer.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 3:17:00 PM

I don't know. It could vary by carrier, analog or digital, capacity
per area.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 3:23:04 PM

Contracts?!? Contracts!?! We don read no steenking contracts!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 3:31:25 PM

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:51:53 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>Notan wrote:
>> Steve Sobol wrote:

>>>I think that would be a customer service nightmare -- "But you guys TOLD me I
>>>wouldn't get charged roaming! Now I have $200 in roaming charges this month!"
>>

>> Not if the customer violated the terms of the agreement...
>>
>> "Enjoy no additional charges for roaming in this expanded coverage area,
>> reaching more than 280 million people, as long as less than half of your
>> monthly call time is used while roaming."
>
>That'd be great if most people actually read their contracts.

Didn't Nehmo teach us anything? :-) Failure to read a contract is not
necessarily a customer service nightmare.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 3:31:26 PM

Spider wrote:

> Didn't Nehmo teach us anything? :-) Failure to read a contract is not
> necessarily a customer service nightmare.

I disagree. I used to work at a gas station, one of the first in Ohio to have
credit-card readers at the pumps, and you wouldn't believe how many people
failed to look at the simple picture on the pump showing which way to put the
card in, and then got really upset with us. :)

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 3:31:27 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Spider wrote:
>
>> Didn't Nehmo teach us anything? :-) Failure to read a contract is not
>> necessarily a customer service nightmare.
>

> I disagree. I used to work at a gas station, one of the first in Ohio to
> have credit-card readers at the pumps, and you wouldn't believe how many
> people failed to look at the simple picture on the pump showing which
> way to put the card in, and then got really upset with us. :)

I should have added,

"And if many people refuse to read a sticker with a single picture on it, what
makes you think they'll read a contract?"

Many people don't read instructions. On anything. At all.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 8:24:46 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:53:01 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>Steve Sobol wrote:
>> Spider wrote:
>>
>>> Didn't Nehmo teach us anything? :-) Failure to read a contract is not
>>> necessarily a customer service nightmare.
>>

>> I disagree. I used to work at a gas station, one of the first in Ohio to
>> have credit-card readers at the pumps, and you wouldn't believe how many
>> people failed to look at the simple picture on the pump showing which
>> way to put the card in, and then got really upset with us. :)

I don't consider that situation to be a customer service nightmare.
It's more like an opportunity for education, and I assume most people
were happy to be shown how to do it properly, although their pride may
not have let them show much appreciation at the time.

>I should have added,
>
>"And if many people refuse to read a sticker with a single picture on it, what
>makes you think they'll read a contract?"
>
>Many people don't read instructions. On anything. At all.

While I agree that most people don't read instructions, contracts,
fine print, etc., I fail to see how that automatically creates a
customer service nightmare. I guess I was reserving "nightmare" for
something far more drastic and dramatic. We may have to agree to
disagree on this one. :)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
January 31, 2005 10:51:06 PM

Spider wrote:

>>>I disagree. I used to work at a gas station, one of the first in Ohio to
>>>have credit-card readers at the pumps, and you wouldn't believe how many
>>>people failed to look at the simple picture on the pump showing which
>>>way to put the card in, and then got really upset with us. :)
>
> I don't consider that situation to be a customer service nightmare.
> It's more like an opportunity for education, and I assume most people
> were happy to be shown how to do it properly, although their pride may
> not have let them show much appreciation at the time.

I did educate them. I even did so politely and with a smile on my face most of
the time. :)  The problem is that they are still upset.

> While I agree that most people don't read instructions, contracts,
> fine print, etc., I fail to see how that automatically creates a
> customer service nightmare. I guess I was reserving "nightmare" for
> something far more drastic and dramatic. We may have to agree to
> disagree on this one. :)

Sure - and I'll concede that it doesn't ALWAYS cause a problem. It's just that
the people most stubborn about not reading things are the ones that will get
really upset with you when things don't go the way they expect. I probably
could have used a word other than 'nightmare' to describe that situation.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 1:32:41 AM

The actual amount charged for roaming mins. is $.50 + $.25 LD. They are
probably paying somewhere from $.20-.40/min plus $.05-.20/min LD if not on
Sprint LD. Thank God it's not like back in late 99/early 00 when they
lowered the roaming min from $.69 to $.39. They then arbitrarily lowered
the roaming partners fees and most of the roaming partners cut us off. When
you were roaming, you usually would only get the credit card prompt if
anything. That's when I had to get an Ameritech Nation Plan phone to cover
the area off the SPCS network.

Chris

"Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> wrote in message
> Steve Sobol wrote:
>> stu wrote:
>>> Wonder what it costs Sprint. A customer that roams 650 min a month
>>> (all peak) on verizon or cellular one? They charge us $.40 or so a min,
>>> but what does the roaming partner charge Sprint?
>>
>> No.
>>
>> If you're using F&CA you DON'T get charged per minute. That's why
>> Sprint restricts the amount of airtime you use... With the 50%
>> restriction,
>> Sprint is trying to minimize the amount of roaming airtime they're
>> billed for, because they can't charge the roaming fees to the customer
>> (due to the way
>> F&CA is set up.)
>
> "No?" That's an invalid reply. (Did you actually read what the guy wrote?)
> He specifically inquired how much *Sprint* gets charged for roaming, by a
> roaming partner. The comment about .40 per minute was an illustration--to
> show what SPCS charges people without a F&CA plan, presumably to find out
> how much profit, if any, is in that .40. I don't see how that post could
> be taken any other way.
>

> --
> Mike | Most people don't realize that large pieces of
> | coral, attached to the skull by common wood
> | screws, can make a child look like a deer.

February 1, 2005 1:32:42 AM

I posed the same question at phonescoop.com and got some very informativ info.
One guy says:
>I work for Sprint in the Indianapolis market -- right now we have just rolled
out a >trial package here where every single plan being sold, whether
Fair&Flexible or >Free&Clear comes with bundled no roaming charges, and it is no
longer for only >50%, but all the way to 100% can be roaming. There is no charge
either -- it used >to be a $5 add on to make a plan "America" for the 50% -- now
its 100% for free.

>It will be interesting to see if Sprint will move to roll this out nationally.

and some other dude says:
>I'm in the Philly market and we just launched it too. According to my rep it
isnt a >trial tho. No test market

> > "No?" That's an invalid reply. (Did you actually read what the guy wrote?)
> > He specifically inquired how much *Sprint* gets charged for roaming, by a
> > roaming partner. The comment about .40 per minute was an illustration--to
> > show what SPCS charges people without a F&CA plan, presumably to find out
> > how much profit, if any, is in that .40. I don't see how that post could
> > be taken any other way.

you've got a big 10-4 there. I was wonderin' what Sprint gets charged by
"partners"

Thanks to all
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 1, 2005 3:54:15 PM

Reminds me of a comedy movie where a WWI baron is up in his new biplane
paging through the book of instructions.
!