Q: Data Connection

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
February 3, 2005 9:17:56 PM

A friend of mine uses T-Mobile (GSM) and can stay logged into his Internet
connection and still receive calls. When I use my SprintPCS phone and I'm
connected to Vision, calls go straight to voice mail. Does Sprint's voice
and data use the same connection?

More about : data connection

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 9:26:50 PM

"Steve" <stteve@NOSPAMyahoo..com> wrote in message
>A friend of mine uses T-Mobile (GSM) and can stay logged into his Internet
>connection and still receive calls. When I use my SprintPCS phone and I'm
>connected to Vision, calls go straight to voice mail. Does Sprint's voice
>and data use the same connection?

As far as I'm aware, yes. I don't believe that any Sprint phones will let
you 'take the call' while using Vision, where other less 'intrusive'
functions such as SMS message receipt or voice mail notification are
different depending on the particular phone model (i.e., newer phones tend
to allow it, older phones will wait until your Vision session is finished to
notify you).
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 12:40:33 AM

Yes, when in a PCS Vision session (while the 2 arrows are solid or
flashing) you can't receive a voice call or a VM notification. But
during pauses in the session (when the arrows go gray), you can receive
a call, which then prevents you from continuing your PCS Vision session.

This is different than T-Mobile GSM/GPRS method.

Steve wrote:
> A friend of mine uses T-Mobile (GSM) and can stay logged into his Internet
> connection and still receive calls. When I use my SprintPCS phone and I'm
> connected to Vision, calls go straight to voice mail. Does Sprint's voice
> and data use the same connection?

February 4, 2005 5:43:13 PM

"Steve" <stteve@NOSPAMyahoo..com> wrote in message
> A friend of mine uses T-Mobile (GSM) and can stay logged into his Internet
> connection and still receive calls. When I use my SprintPCS phone and I'm
> connected to Vision, calls go straight to voice mail. Does Sprint's voice
> and data use the same connection?

Not that I'm aware of. Last month, while up in NYC / Brooklyn for the
holidays, I was on Vision connected to my laptop, and got a call midstream
while downloading email. I completed the call in a minute or two, and my
email was still downloading.

Bob
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:45:32 PM

"Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message
> Yes, when in a PCS Vision session (while the 2 arrows are solid or
> flashing) you can't receive a voice call or a VM notification. But
> during pauses in the session (when the arrows go gray), you can receive
> a call, which then prevents you from continuing your PCS Vision session.
>
> This is different than T-Mobile GSM/GPRS method.
>
> Steve wrote:
> > A friend of mine uses T-Mobile (GSM) and can stay logged into his
Internet
> > connection and still receive calls. When I use my SprintPCS phone and
I'm
> > connected to Vision, calls go straight to voice mail. Does Sprint's
voice
> > and data use the same connection?
> >

> --
> Frank Harris in San Francisco with an A680

My circumstances I just posted were a bit different Frank. I had an active
Vision connection and still received a voice call last month. I was a bit
surprised to see that happen ... :) .

Bob
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 1:40:03 AM

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:45:32 +0000, Bob Smith wrote:

> My circumstances I just posted were a bit different Frank. I had an active
> Vision connection and still received a voice call last month. I was a bit
> surprised to see that happen ... :) .
>
> Bob

Are you sure it was active? When I first got vision I thought that was the
case but what happened was that I would get the call between active
sessions the phone just didn't update it's icons.
!