Sign in with
Your question

Wireless keyboards and mice

Last response: in Components
April 17, 2003 11:09:12 PM

Could people who have had experiance with them please post how they like them. Also please post the manufacturer and model. I would like to be able to use the keyboard/mice 7ft from my computer, is that possible? Also how often do you have to change their batteries?
April 17, 2003 11:31:30 PM

I have the Logitech Cordless Optical mouse. Works great for me. Product number 930616-0403. $34 at newegg. Replace batteries every 2-2.5 months. No wireless keyboard, though.

War Eagle<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Auburn9698 on 04/17/03 06:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 18, 2003 1:49:56 AM

Even better get the cordless, optical, rechargable MX 700 from Logitech. I just tried it from 10 feet away and it works.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
Related resources
April 18, 2003 2:24:12 AM

HI there

I've tried a lot of "PC" mice :-)

For wireless Mice, I would really recommend the Logitech MX700, the main reason is being it comes with a base station where you place the mouse to recharge the batteries, so when you goto bed or step away from the computer just place it there, and never worry about swapping batteries :-) The Microsoft wireless has a nice ergonomic shape that I really like but then it has no charging station like the Logitech and not as responsive too. Some reviews mentioned that the rechargable batteries that come with the MX700 are not the best, you get some lithium brand name batteries that will last longer. Without recharging the previous Logitech mice (the version before the MX700) can work for some 2 1/2 - 3 weeks not more with heavy use on a single charge.

But at the moment I'm using the old trusty version of the MS Explorer, not the 3.0 version ;-)

Keyboards do not need batteries to swapped as often as mice, you can on a single charge run for about 3 or more months and the ones I've tried work through doors/walls(as long as its not metal or thick wood) and surley work over 7ft, that's for the Logitech keyboards, have not tried any MS wireless ones.
April 18, 2003 5:10:36 AM

Do not get Logitech. Their driver sucks.
April 18, 2003 6:53:24 AM

Logitech MX700 is the best out there by far, but do not install Logitech's drivers--use the Microsoft drivers. If you play games, the MX700 is the only way to go for cordless...

<-----Insert witty sig line here.
April 18, 2003 7:14:11 AM

You cannot customize the buttons if you do not install the driver.
April 18, 2003 7:53:37 AM

Depends. You can still customize controls within games. You do lose a bit of functionality in Windows, but, for now, the Logitech drivers are too buggy to use.

That's what stinks. Logitech's drivers suck big-time, but the actual mouse is the best out there. If you don't play games, then the MX700 probably isn't worth it for you anyway. But if you play FPS games, and you really want a cordless, the MX700 really is the only way to go until Microsoft releases something new.

<-----Insert witty sig line here.
April 18, 2003 2:18:05 PM

I got the Logitech Cordless Elite Duo about a week after it came out, and it was wonderful.....for about eight months. First the keyboard died, then a couple of months later the mouse. I guess that not many people have problems with them, so my experience is isolated. The drivers always sucked though. I have the Microsoft wireless setup now, and it is only OK (I still hate the drivers).
April 18, 2003 4:13:14 PM

My brother has a Logitech cordless desktop... it works fine it only sucks the batteries empty pretty fast.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
April 18, 2003 6:39:33 PM

See my system specs for the kb/mouse I have. Highly recommend it, unless you're using a KVM. KVMs are picky and need 102-104 keys and don't support fancy drivers.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=32..." target="_new">System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:
April 18, 2003 11:09:10 PM

Thanx everyone for all of the posts. But i do have 2 remaining questions. What do people mean when they say buggy drivers, what abnormal things do the devices do? And secondly i will be gaming but probibly not with a keyboard/mouse (either a steering wheel or the Logitech Cordless RumblePad) but i still wonder why they are bad for games (do they create bad frame rates or are they not quickly responsive)?
April 18, 2003 11:20:07 PM

The only time I have had trouble with Logitech drivers is when they conflict with MS mouse drivers. Believe it or not, I'm using 2 cordless mice concurrently. I have the old Logitech cordless kb/mouse combo which I've been using for about 5 years without a problem. I also use the MX 700.

Some people find a slight delay when it comes to the responsiveness of a cordless mouse. I use the old mouse for games because I feel I have more control with it. I use the MX 700 for everything else. I don't notice any lag with either of them.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
April 20, 2003 1:29:49 PM

Some people reports problems with the Logitech drivers... ie. crashing drivers, problems with the mouse in games.

I have a Logitech MX500 mice with the latest Logitech drivers and so far I had no problems.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
!