Matrix games and alienware?

Hi All,
I have purchased my 3rd digital download from these chaps and have one
complaint. Its not about the games, as they are fine. Its about the
downloads. I have just noticed that our downloads are extended for us
courtesy of Matrix so that they can include a 17Mbyte video advertising
Alienware! I now have three copies of this video.

I don't mind advertising, but what is the sense of including a 17Mbyte file
in a digital download which should be made as small as possible? Its not
even that you need Alienware to run wargames!

RobP

"ROBERT POLLARD" <RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I have purchased my 3rd digital download from these chaps and have one
> complaint. Its not about the games, as they are fine. Its about the
> downloads. I have just noticed that our downloads are extended for us
> courtesy of Matrix so that they can include a 17Mbyte video advertising
> Alienware! I now have three copies of this video.
>
> I don't mind advertising, but what is the sense of including a 17Mbyte
> file in a digital download which should be made as small as possible? Its
> not even that you need Alienware to run wargames!
>
> RobP

Thanks, Rob. You just saved me 68 MB of HD space. I didn't see them in the
earlier games.

ROBERT POLLARD wrote:
> that they can include a 17Mbyte video advertising Alienware!

> I don't mind advertising, but what is the sense of including a
17Mbyte file
> in a digital download

eh, as an advertisement :)

> which should be made as small as possible?

Well, that's the theory - in practice most wargames today contain a lot
of multimedia stuff that takes up space - lot's of it - so most end up
being a 300 MB+ download. Matrixgames must have figured that the extra
revenue generated by the advertisement made up for the minor (in
comparison) increase in download size and that few would complain about
it. It's one of those things I can live with - just like commercials on
tv - if that brings the total cost of games down.

> Its not even that you need Alienware to run wargames!
Can't hurt either :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

On 30 Jan 2005 10:31:36 -0800, "eddysterckx@hotmail.com"
<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote:

> if that brings the total cost of games down.

We are talking Matrix here. Get a grip on reality, son. :)

It's me wrote:

> We are talking Matrix here. Get a grip on reality, son. :)

Trying ... missed again ... didn't try real hard, because reality has a
habit of biting back :)

In a competitive environment game developers will flock to the
publisher that gives them the best deal. As Matrixgames seems to be
doing very well on the "getting developers on board" front, my guess is
they're using the extra cash generated by the advertisements on
developer's deals and not on buying ferrari's - which is 100% ok with
me

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

It's me wrote:
> On 30 Jan 2005 10:31:36 -0800, "eddysterckx@hotmail.com"
> <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > if that brings the total cost of games down.
>
> We are talking Matrix here. Get a grip on reality, son. :)

Trying ... missed again ... didn't try real hard, because reality has a
habit of biting back :)

In a competitive environment game developers will flock to the
publisher that gives them the best deal. As Matrixgames seems to be
doing very well on the "getting developers on board" front, my guess is
they're using the extra cash generated by the advertisements on
developer's deals and not on buying ferrari's - which is 100% ok with
me

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Interesting. I just went back and checked my WITP directory and found not
only the Alienware avi but also a 75MB pdf advertising the magazine
"Armchair General". Oh well, I guess I will simply regard this as the cost
levied for the convenience of not having to insert a cd to play.

Frank

"ROBERT POLLARD" <RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I have purchased my 3rd digital download from these chaps and have one
> complaint. Its not about the games, as they are fine. Its about the
> downloads. I have just noticed that our downloads are extended for us
> courtesy of Matrix so that they can include a 17Mbyte video advertising
> Alienware! I now have three copies of this video.
>
> I don't mind advertising, but what is the sense of including a 17Mbyte
> file in a digital download which should be made as small as possible? Its
> not even that you need Alienware to run wargames!
>
> RobP

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:18:48 GMT, "F. Voros"
<fvnews@DIE.SPAM.DIE.shaw.ca> wrote:

>Interesting. I just went back and checked my WITP directory and found not
>only the Alienware avi but also a 75MB pdf advertising the magazine
>"Armchair General". Oh well, I guess I will simply regard this as the cost
>levied for the convenience of not having to insert a cd to play.
>
>Frank

75mb pdf to advertise a mag? Either they are lunatics or you are
reading the file size wrong.

In article <_49Ld.19129$B5.12995@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk says...

> I don't mind advertising, but what is the sense of including a 17Mbyte file
> in a digital download which should be made as small as possible? Its not
> even that you need Alienware to run wargames!

I would imagine that Alienware is paying some sort of advertising
charge, and the software would be more expensive without the additional
17MB.

The way I figure it, virtually no one who is worried about an additional
17MB is going to opt for digital download of an almost 300 MB game
anyhow.

--
Giftzwerg
***

In article <6rfrv09ep4v4d9rkjavquvb6bvlb5sjcj4@4ax.com>, me@here.noemail
says...

> > if that brings the total cost of games down.
>
> We are talking Matrix here. Get a grip on reality, son. :)

Hmmm. Given that we're talking about a game that they're selling for
$35 - considerably *less* than some competing products at <insert
company here>, I'm not sure what you mean.

--
Giftzwerg
***
" haven=3Ft the time or inclination to argue with people who
think 'No WMD!' is the argument equivalent of a spreading a
full house on the green felt table. It may seem so, but
unfortunately we=3Fre playing chess."
- James Lileks

FYI, the Armchair General full-size preview was in a few releases, then
reduced in size and finally has now been removed from future digital
downloads. Similarly, the Alienware video has been converted to a
format that, without any loss in quality or video size, allows it to
use up less space in the download. We've done the same in some cases
for sound files and other game videos. For example, the initial
digital download of War in the Pacific was 463Mb zipped, whereas the
new 1.40 full digital download version (just uploaded and made live
last week) is only 316Mb. We've been listening over the whole year and
reducing size where we can while maintaining relationships that help us
promote and fund our games.

Regards,

- Erik

"It's me" <me@here.noemail> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:18:48 GMT, "F. Voros"
> <fvnews@DIE.SPAM.DIE.shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> >Interesting. I just went back and checked my WITP directory and found not
> >only the Alienware avi but also a 75MB pdf advertising the magazine
> >"Armchair General". Oh well, I guess I will simply regard this as the
cost
> >levied for the convenience of not having to insert a cd to play.
> >
> >Frank
>
> 75mb pdf to advertise a mag? Either they are lunatics or you are
> reading the file size wrong.

He's not reading the file size wrong.

--
Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:24:00 -0500, Giftzwerg
<giftzwerg999@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hmmm. Given that we're talking about a game that they're selling for
>$35 - considerably *less* than some competing products at <insert
>company here>, I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm talking about their other "out of this world" priced games. And my
ISP limits my downloads to 10gb per month so I certainly don't
appreciate the extra fodder added to my game download purchases.

It's me,

I just wanted to point out that our price list is actually not out of
this world and the large ACG file was only a few initial releases
before we pared it down, based on customer feedback and our own
requests to the magazine. Here's a summary of our current titles, 2005
pricing for downloads:

Across The Dnepr (SSG) $14.99
Battles In Normandy (SSG) $49.99
Campaigns On The Danube (Adanac) $19.99
Case Blue (X1) $19.99
Firefight (O'Connor) $19.99
Flashpoint: Germany (Matrix) $34.99
Gates Of Troy (Slitherine) $19.99
Highway To The Reich (Panther) $39.99
Korsun Pocket (SSG) $39.99
Massive Assault (Wargaming.Net) $24.99
Mega-Campaign: Desert Fox (Matrix) $24.99
Mega-Campaign: Lost Victories (Matrix) $24.99
Mega-Campaign: Screaming Eagles (Matrix) $24.99
Mega-Campaign: Watchtower (Matrix) $24.99
Operation Barbarossa (X1) $19.99
Starshatter (Destroyer) $29.99
Starships Unlimited: Divided Galaxies (Apezone) $24.99
Steel Panthers: World At War General's Edition (Matrix) $69.99
The Last Days (X1) $19.99
Tin Soldiers: Alexander The Great (Koios) $29.99
Titans Of Steel: Warring Suns (Vicious Byte) $29.99
Uncommon Valor (2 by 3) $39.99
War In The Pacific (2 by 3) $69.99

You'll notice most of our titles are $40 or less, with many at the $30
or less price point, including new full game releases such as Gates of
Troy ($19.99) and Alexander the Great ($29.99) and Flashpoint Germany
($34.99).

Regards,

- Erik

In article <kpvvv09du5objv9qri2alsge5sojqvi2md@4ax.com>, me@here.noemail
says...

> >Hmmm. Given that we're talking about a game that they're selling for
> >$35 - considerably *less* than some competing products at <insert
> >company here>, I'm not sure what you mean.

> I'm talking about their other "out of this world" priced games.

Which one, specifically? The only Matrix wargame I can think of that's
priced above the middlin' point for game software ($40-%40) is WAR IN
THE PACIFIC, a true monster in every sense of the word.

I just purchased CAMPAIGNS ON THE DANUBE and FLASHPOINT GERMANY, and in
both cases I noted that the price was entirely reasonable; lower, in
fact, than my expectations.

> And my
> ISP limits my downloads to 10gb per month so I certainly don't
> appreciate the extra fodder added to my game download purchases.

Here my suggestions would be to (a) run screaming to a reputable ISP, or
(b) opt for the game distribution on CD.

--
Giftzwerg
***

Frank E wrote:

> The operative words here being 'pricing for downloads'. ... and you
> left out some words, it should be 'pricing for a one-time download'.

Well, if you buy a game cd from a company it's also technically the
price for a one-time cd ... and given the current level of copy
protection on games I doubt many people will even manage to make a 1:1
backup of this.

Just try to get a replacement for that damaged TOAW cd ... luckily I
had a (probably illegal) 1:1 backup when it happened to me.

I gather that the $5 download insurance is what's really bugging you
and here I have to agree - I don't think the extra revenue here is
worth the bad mojo.

The printed manual, well - it would be nice - but printed manuals are
on the way out, even in the big bucks software development market. Last
$3000 product I installed at the company didn't even have the usual
short installation manual, the previous version did, and the version
before that even had all the manuals. I've actually come to prefer
pdf-based manuals. You can quickly do some key-word search, have it on
<alt><tab> stand-by while gaming and if you really want to, you can
even print it out :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

On 2 Feb 2005 08:00:08 -0800, "eddysterckx@hotmail.com"
<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Frank E wrote:
>
>> The operative words here being 'pricing for downloads'. ... and you
>> left out some words, it should be 'pricing for a one-time download'.
>
>Well, if you buy a game cd from a company it's also technically the
>price for a one-time cd ... and given the current level of copy
>protection on games I doubt many people will even manage to make a 1:1
>backup of this.

True, although if I manage to screw up a preburned CD, I tend to shrug
it off as my fault and move on. Backups tend not to be that dependable
ime.

>Just try to get a replacement for that damaged TOAW cd ... luckily I
>had a (probably illegal) 1:1 backup when it happened to me.
>
>I gather that the $5 download insurance is what's really bugging you
>and here I have to agree - I don't think the extra revenue here is
>worth the bad mojo.

Yeah, that really was the part that bugged me. Charging me $70 for a
download and then telling me that you're cheap to spring for a
nickel's worth of bandwidth in case I ever need it agian seriously
rubs me the wrong way.

>The printed manual, well - it would be nice - but printed manuals are
>on the way out, even in the big bucks software development market. Last
>$3000 product I installed at the company didn't even have the usual
>short installation manual, the previous version did, and the version
>before that even had all the manuals. I've actually come to prefer
>pdf-based manuals. You can quickly do some key-word search, have it on
><alt><tab> stand-by while gaming and if you really want to, you can
>even print it out :)

I tend to prefer online manuals for things where I have to look stuff
up while I'm using a program. Something like a C compiler would be a
good example where an online manual is 10x as useful as a printed
version.

With a wargame, I tend to be the type that will sit down and read the
manual after playing around with the program a bit. Reading a 100page
manual on the PC just isn't something I enjoy doing. But yeah, that's
not something to bash Matrix over, good wargame manuals worth reading
have gone out of style and I need to get over it <g>.

Rgds. Frank

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:51:36 -0500, Giftzwerg
<giftzwerg999@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Speaking for myself, important files - as well as relatively unimportant
>stuff like my installation copy of CAMPAIGNS ON THE DANUBE - get
>mirrored on a RAID, hot-backuped on an additional hard disk, copied to a
>server, archived to tape, archived to DVD, archived to CD, and copies of
>the tape, DVD, and CD are all stored off-site.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that that's an extreme
example. :p

I've had it happen to me where backup CDs that I'd burned worked fine
when I read them on that CD drive but when I upgraded computers I just
couldn't restore the full disks without random errors. It wasn't a big
deal at the time but if that had happened with my WitP backup after I
bought a new computer last month, there would have been a lot of
bitching and righteous indignation.

Rgds, Frank

Frank,

>>Yeah, that really was the part that bugged me. Charging me $­70 for
download and then telling me that you're cheap to spring for­ a
nickel's worth of bandwidth in case I ever need it agian ser­iously
rubs me the wrong way.

Ok, understood. FYI this is entirely a Digital River thing - we don't
see even a nickel of that $5 charge. It seems like the best thing to
do would be to make more information on post-purchase support options
available up front. We had no objection to DR offering this because
it's up to the customer if they want the extra download time or not.
Personally, I would never use it - just download once, backup and done
(or order the physical copy, make a backup and done).

I can see there are some misconceptions out there on how our system
works though and I hope I've made things a bit more clear. We're
always improving the store and trying to make things more customer
friendly (actually, I believe the download insurance was part of one
such attempt by DR).

Regards,

- Erik

In article <9A0BQrXbwxtaWzreUcf8gtm=Lr2R@4ax.com>,
fakeaddress@hotmail.com says...

> >Speaking for myself, important files - as well as relatively unimportant
> >stuff like my installation copy of CAMPAIGNS ON THE DANUBE - get
> >mirrored on a RAID, hot-backuped on an additional hard disk, copied to a
> >server, archived to tape, archived to DVD, archived to CD, and copies of
> >the tape, DVD, and CD are all stored off-site.
>
> I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that that's an extreme
> example. :p

Perhaps. But how would you protect 55,000 digital "negatives?"

And how "extreme" is it, really? CDs and DVDs are practically free;
anyone not backing their important files up on these is brain-damaged.
Likewise, hard-disk real estate is going for about 50 cents a Gig; why
not have hot-backups? Tape backup is the most expensive, but even there
the costs are pretty low considering the nightmare scenario of a house
burned flat and every file one ever amassed up in smoke. My DAT setup
can stream 60GB a day, and a rotating system is just common sense.

To put it simply, my *business* is being sure of stuff like this. So
I'm sure.

--
Giftzwerg
***

Frank E <fakeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in

>>I gather that the $5 download insurance is what's really bugging you
>>and here I have to agree - I don't think the extra revenue here is
>>worth the bad mojo.
>
> Yeah, that really was the part that bugged me. Charging me $70 for a
> download and then telling me that you're cheap to spring for a
> nickel's worth of bandwidth in case I ever need it agian seriously
> rubs me the wrong way.

You're not alone - it's a psychological issue - I'm sure the "powers
that be" at Matrixgames are reading this as Erik Rutins seems to keep a
close eye on this ng - they're constantly reviewing what works and what
doesn't, so we might get a policy change.

#1 law of printed programming manuals : the concept/word you're looking
for is not in the 2 page index of a 1000 page book.

> With a wargame, I tend to be the type that will sit down and read the
> manual after playing around with the program a bit.

Just admit you like to read wargame manuals on the toilet too :) - the
only place where you can get some peace and quiet and you can *really*
focus.

> Reading a 100page
> manual on the PC just isn't something I enjoy doing. But yeah, that's
> not something to bash Matrix over, good wargame manuals worth reading
> have gone out of style and I need to get over it <g>.

Might I plug the strategy guide of HTTR here - a great read.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 10:51:36 -0500, Giftzwerg
> <giftzwerg999@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Speaking for myself, important files - as well as relatively
unimportant
>>stuff like my installation copy of CAMPAIGNS ON THE DANUBE - get
>>mirrored on a RAID, hot-backuped on an additional hard disk, copied to
>>server, archived to tape, archived to DVD, archived to CD, and copies
of
>>the tape, DVD, and CD are all stored off-site.
>
> I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that that's an extreme
> example. :p

Extreme yes, but did you *really* expect something different giving
*his* track record :)

> I've had it happen to me where backup CDs that I'd burned worked fine
> when I read them on that CD drive but when I upgraded computers I just
> couldn't restore the full disks without random errors.

As cd burners have become cheaper this problem is indeed cropping up
more and more. I've pretty much resolved it by backing up to dvd at slow
(2x) speed. At this point in time dvd's seem to be more 'compatible'
with new equipment. Your mileage may vary - no warranties :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:00:22 -0500, Giftzwerg
<giftzwerg999@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In article <9A0BQrXbwxtaWzreUcf8gtm=Lr2R@4ax.com>,
>fakeaddress@hotmail.com says...
>
>> >Speaking for myself, important files - as well as relatively unimportant
>> >stuff like my installation copy of CAMPAIGNS ON THE DANUBE - get
>> >mirrored on a RAID, hot-backuped on an additional hard disk, copied to a
>> >server, archived to tape, archived to DVD, archived to CD, and copies of
>> >the tape, DVD, and CD are all stored off-site.
>>
>> I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that that's an extreme
>> example. :p
>
>Perhaps. But how would you protect 55,000 digital "negatives?"

I don't need to. Nor, for that matter, do I have anything else of any
importance on my home PC.

>And how "extreme" is it, really? CDs and DVDs are practically free;
>anyone not backing their important files up on these is brain-damaged.

True.

>Likewise, hard-disk real estate is going for about 50 cents a Gig; why
>not have hot-backups? Tape backup is the most expensive, but even there
>the costs are pretty low considering the nightmare scenario of a house
>burned flat and every file one ever amassed up in smoke. My DAT setup
>can stream 60GB a day, and a rotating system is just common sense.
>
>To put it simply, my *business* is being sure of stuff like this. So
>I'm sure.

Translation: I have triple redundent backups in place with off-site
storage because my business depends on it. I have no sympathy for any
gamer who doesn't jump through the same hoops when he downloads a
game.

.... this would be one of those (rare <g>) times when I'm quite willing
to just walk away from the discussion without further comment and let
people draw their own conclusions.

Rgds, Frank

On 2 Feb 2005 12:30:45 -0800, "ERutins" <erikr@matrixgames.com> wrote:

>Regarding your complaint about re-downloading, I can say several
>things. First, you can download the game multiple times in the first
>30 days if you lose your copy (we do advise putting a backup in a safe
>place once you download it). If you lose it after that, as long as you
>have your order number and/or customer info, e-mail us at
>support@matrixgames.com and we can allow a one time re-download.

Ya know, if that had been made plain to me when I downloaded WitP, I
would have had a different attitude about the whole thing. I did look
at the options at the time because I didn't have a CD burner in my PC
when I downloaded it so there was some concern on my part as to what
would happen if something screwed up.

No mention was made about contacting Matrix, no mention was made about
having 30 days in case something went wrong. As a matter of fact, I'm
pretty sure you're wrong about that one, seems like the people I
downoladed from went out of their way to explain that I couldn't
download more than once unless I paid the $5.

>The manuals that come with the game in PDF format are top notch and
>include both printer friendly versions and e-book version that have a
>searchable index, an advantage print manuals don't have.

My main beef with the manual is that I never could alt-tab out of WitP
because there was about a 50/50 chance that my map will be corrupted
when I went back to the game. There's few things more annoying than
an online manual that you can't look at while running the program.

>> That last point is the one that really bugs me, btw. Paying $70 for a
>> download only version of WitP and then being asked if I want to spend
>> $5(?) for download insurance.
>
>I'm not sure what the affront here is - that's a service offered by our
>online store, Digital River, to allow unlimited downloads (IIRC) up to
>one year after purchase.

It's annoying in the way that the salesman at Best Buy was annoying
when he offered me an $50 extended service plan on a $40 DVD player.
My inital reaction was "Do they really think I'm that big of an
idiot?". In other words, I find it insulting.

Also, it rubs in the fact that Matrix felt the need to charg $5 for
the nickel's worth of bandwidth required to download the files again.

I'll try to explain why I found it so annoying. At around the same
time I ordered WitP, I also ordered two other games online from small
publishers/developers.

The first was Dominions 2 (from shrapnel?). I log onto their website,
pay the list price, and it's in the mail to me. ... even came with a
useful printed manual. No fuss, no hassles, no problems.

Second was GalCiv from Stardock. I log onto their website to buy the
game and find out that I can download and play the game immediately
and included in the price is a CD that they'll mail to me.

Now I get to Matrix. I know ahead of time that the price of WitP is
$20 or $30 higher than the other two I bought. Not really a problem
but there;s still some degree of sticker shock.

Log onto the website to buy the game Now I'm greeted by a list of
Want a physical disk? KACHING!, $10 please
Do you think you might ever need to download the files again? KACHING!
$5 please
I want to say there was one more item along those lines to but now I
can't remember it.

Rightly or wrongly, I walked away from that purchase with the feeling
that Matrix was one of those annoying companies that spends a lot of
time playing all the angles, trying to squeeze the last dollar out of
my wallet. In other words, a company that I tend to view very
sceptically whenever I deal with them.

Rgds, Frank

Frank,

> Ya know, if that had been made plain to me when I downloaded WitP, I
> would have had a different attitude about the whole thing.

Yeah, we need to make that more clear. FYI, I don't know when you had
this experience, but we have added more explanation to the store since
and I know that the 30 day limit is explained now.

> No mention was made about contacting Matrix, no mention was made
about
> having 30 days in case something went wrong. As a matter of fact, I'm
> pretty sure you're wrong about that one, seems like the people I
> downoladed from went out of their way to explain that I couldn't
> download more than once unless I paid the $5.

With respect, I know I'm right about that and that has always been the
case, but it was no doubt not explained clearly.

> My main beef with the manual is that I never could alt-tab out of
WitP
> because there was about a 50/50 chance that my map will be corrupted
> when I went back to the game. There's few things more annoying than
> an online manual that you can't look at while running the program.

I've never had that problem here - I can alt-tab all day long without
map corruption. As long as your video drivers are up to day, the other
thing you can try is running it in windowed mode by adding a "-w" to
the command line in the quick start shortcut.

> It's annoying in the way that the salesman at Best Buy was annoying
> when he offered me an $50 extended service plan on a $40 DVD player.
> My inital reaction was "Do they really think I'm that big of an
> idiot?". In other words, I find it insulting.

I don't think this is an issue we can really make an entirely right
decision on. We are bound by certain rules when dealing with Digital
River. One is that if we want our customers to have the _option_ to
download on their own after 30 days, DR requires a $5 charge. Again,
we don't see any of that and it's not something we can change. We felt
it was better to offer the option than not.

> The first was Dominions 2 (from shrapnel?). I log onto their
website,
> pay the list price, and it's in the mail to me. ... even came with a
> useful printed manual. No fuss, no hassles, no problems.

I've also bought that title from them, also had no problems. But I've
also "test bought" titles from us and had a similarly smooth
experience.

> Second was GalCiv from Stardock. I log onto their website to buy the
> game and find out that I can download and play the game immediately
> and included in the price is a CD that they'll mail to me.

Stardock has a unique, proprietary system that they spent (IIRC) 2
years developing in a somewhat open beta. We don't have that option,
unfortunately. I agree that it's very nice setup and I haven't had any
problems with them either.

> Now I get to Matrix. I know ahead of time that the price of WitP is
> $20 or $30 higher than the other two I bought. Not really a problem
> but there;s still some degree of sticker shock.

Keep in mind WitP is a unique product. It's priced at that level
because we couldn't justify development otherwise. As I've posted in
this newsgroup, WitP is our _only_ game priced at that level. The only
other product at that price is the collection of four mega-campaigns
that normally sell separately for $25 each, available in the General's
Edition for $70. The vast majority of our games are $40 or less.

> Log onto the website to buy the game Now I'm greeted by a list of
> Want a physical disk? KACHING!, $10 please
> Do you think you might ever need to download the files again?
KACHING!
> $5 please
> I want to say there was one more item along those lines to but now I
> can't remember it.

All I can say is that we provide as many options as we can, with
declared prices on each option. War in the Pacific is our most
expensive product, but many gamers feel that it is still a bargain at
that price.

> Rightly or wrongly, I walked away from that purchase with the feeling
> that Matrix was one of those annoying companies that spends a lot of
> time playing all the angles, trying to squeeze the last dollar out of
> my wallet. In other words, a company that I tend to view very
> sceptically whenever I deal with them.

I hope that's not still the impression that you have, as it could not
be further from the truth. Wargaming is a niche hobby and no one's
getting rich doing this. For companies like you describe, in my
opinion you need to look again at some of the more mainstream cookie
cutter games.

If you have any questions regarding our store options in the future,
please drop us an e-mail to support@matrixgames.com and we'll be happy
to answer.

Regards,

- Erik