Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mackie 1202 + 2 sound cards

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:04:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I have a Mackie 1202 mixer (yes it's the old one).
I have two sound cards, a cheapie and the AMIII.

Can someone please tell me how to hook up the sound cards to the
mixer? If you could be as specific as possible that would be great.

I tried the following:
Cheap sound card:
Out to Tape In
In to Tape Out
AMIII:
Out to Stereo Aux returns
In to Aux send

Couldn't hear the AMIII (that was with the Tape In /aux 2 activated or
unactivated).

Ideally I'd like to have both sound cards available at the same time,
but I'd settle for one at a time.

I'm using Win 98SE on an older PC.

Thanks!!
Eric
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:04:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

the best thing to do is throw your weak computer, outdated OS, and
inferior soundcards in the trash and start fresh.

perhaps harsh, certainly true
March 16, 2005 10:42:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Eric G wrote:
> I have a Mackie 1202 mixer (yes it's the old one).
> I have two sound cards, a cheapie and the AMIII.
>
> Can someone please tell me how to hook up the sound cards to the
> mixer? If you could be as specific as possible that would be great.
>
> I tried the following:
> Cheap sound card:
> Out to Tape In
> In to Tape Out
> AMIII:
> Out to Stereo Aux returns
> In to Aux send
>
> Couldn't hear the AMIII (that was with the Tape In /aux 2 activated
or
> unactivated).
>
> Ideally I'd like to have both sound cards available at the same time,
> but I'd settle for one at a time.
>
> I'm using Win 98SE on an older PC.
>
> Thanks!!
> Eric


Are you trying to playback the computer (2 ch or 4 ch) through the
mixer or are you trying to record (2 ch or 4 ch) the output of the
mixer on the computer, or both? What exactly are you trying to do?

Mark
Related resources
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:44:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I'm not familiar with the soundcard but you should be able to go from the
mixer's inserts or aux sends out the the soundcard's inputs (assuming they
are line level)....then from the soundcard's outputs to two channel (stereo)
on the mixer, you can use the tape in's if you want but that gives you less
flexibility as far as EQ, buses, etc. If all else fails, read the f'ing
manual........if that fails, I'd agree with the previous poster, get a real
system with a real soundcard (ie m-audio, motu)

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com



"Eric G" <EricG@ether.net> wrote in message
news:e3ih31tb19psuoevtjpgs550k23d4qsegg@4ax.com...
> I have a Mackie 1202 mixer (yes it's the old one).
> I have two sound cards, a cheapie and the AMIII.
>
> Can someone please tell me how to hook up the sound cards to the
> mixer? If you could be as specific as possible that would be great.
>
> I tried the following:
> Cheap sound card:
> Out to Tape In
> In to Tape Out
> AMIII:
> Out to Stereo Aux returns
> In to Aux send
>
> Couldn't hear the AMIII (that was with the Tape In /aux 2 activated or
> unactivated).
>
> Ideally I'd like to have both sound cards available at the same time,
> but I'd settle for one at a time.
>
> I'm using Win 98SE on an older PC.
>
> Thanks!!
> Eric
>
>
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 1:10:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 16 Mar 2005 18:40:25 -0800, genericaudioperson@hotmail.com wrote:

>the best thing to do is throw your weak computer, outdated OS, and
>inferior soundcards in the trash and start fresh.
>
>perhaps harsh, certainly true

I don't mind the criticism, especially of my computer and operating
system.
I hope to buy a new one soon.
But I'll likely be keeping my sound cards.

So I'll still need to know how to hook them up to the mixer.

Eric
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 1:49:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Eric,

It is about 99% likely that the sound card situation is going to be
either/or. I don't know all audio applications, but the ones I do know will
only work with one driver at a time and if you are trying to use Windows in
a standalone mode of some sort (can't imagine why, but just assuming) then
Windows will only allow you to use one or the other card as either an input
or an output (you can use one as an input and one as an output, but.if
you're using two different sound cards, then no application that I know of
will allow you to use both for recording/playback so you're SOL using both
sound cards if they don't share the same driver.

My advice is to get the best of the two sound cards working and use it until
you can afford something more suited to your needs as you continue to define
them.

As far as hooking either of them up to your mixer, that will depend on what
you are trying to accomplish but outputs of the sound card will go to inputs
of the mixer in order to hear what is being played back and inputs of the
sound card will receive signal from mixer outputs. The 1202 is pretty
flexible and there are a few different scenarios for this as well. Your
*cheapie sound card, if it's that old, may not be full duplex and you will
need that to achieve simultaneous record and playback.

There are other issues you will likely have (like audible latency with older
drivers, less CPU horsepower and outdated audio hardware and Win 98) but
with an analog mixer these can be mitigated..

Regards,

Doug Joyce
Animix Productions
Durango,CO

"Eric G" <EricG@ether.net> wrote in message
news:e3ih31tb19psuoevtjpgs550k23d4qsegg@4ax.com...
> I have a Mackie 1202 mixer (yes it's the old one).
> I have two sound cards, a cheapie and the AMIII.
>
> Can someone please tell me how to hook up the sound cards to the
> mixer? If you could be as specific as possible that would be great.
>
> I tried the following:
> Cheap sound card:
> Out to Tape In
> In to Tape Out
> AMIII:
> Out to Stereo Aux returns
> In to Aux send
>
> Couldn't hear the AMIII (that was with the Tape In /aux 2 activated or
> unactivated).
>
> Ideally I'd like to have both sound cards available at the same time,
> but I'd settle for one at a time.
>
> I'm using Win 98SE on an older PC.
>
> Thanks!!
> Eric
>
>
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 7:57:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

<genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1111027225.630987.204830@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

> the best thing to do is throw your weak computer, outdated OS, and
> inferior soundcards in the trash and start fresh.


Bullshit.



< Sorry, but you asked for that one... even though there are no asterisks >


--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com
Morgan Audio Media Service
Dallas, Texas (214) 662-9901
_______________________________________
http://www.artisan-recordingstudio.com
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 8:14:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Eric G" <EricG@ether.net> wrote in message news:76th31lvdr8f5cnssontejffb5f7v731tg@4ax.com...
> On 16 Mar 2005 18:40:25 -0800, genericaudioperson@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >the best thing to do is throw your weak computer, outdated OS, and
> >inferior soundcards in the trash and start fresh.
> >
> >perhaps harsh, certainly true
>
> I don't mind the criticism, especially of my computer and operating
> system.
> I hope to buy a new one soon.
> But I'll likely be keeping my sound cards.
>
> So I'll still need to know how to hook them up to the mixer.
>
> Eric


You haven't said anything about your computer, and right now you
don't need to... but every workstation that I currently have access
to in ANY studio I work in, runs 98SE .....except one. (As I've been
noticed mentioning, the XP system has random glitches).

The AudioMedia III was a great little sound card.

I just threw a 33mghz Apple Mac IIci (and a IIvx chassis) with a whopping
20 meg of ram and a couple of 1 gig hard drives, into the trash this past
Christmas. They were *still working* dedicated audio workstations
running some very powerful stereo editing and MIDI sequencing programs.

DM
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 1:49:03 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Eric,

> please tell me how to hook up the sound cards to the mixer? <

See "Using a Mixer with a DAW" first in the list on my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

This article was written especially for you.

--Ethan
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:50:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your response.

>My advice is to get the best of the two sound cards working and use it until
>you can afford something more suited to your needs as you continue to define
>them.

I started to have a little more success today. I can now get some
sound out of the AMIII card. But one channel isn't working yet.

I had the AMIII for years but used it only with Logic Audio because it
didn't have a decent driver for Windows (but I never hooked it up
properly to my mixer).. Digidesign wrote a few drivers for the card to
be used with generic Windows apps but they always cautioned about
using the Windows driver simultaneously with the DAE driver dedicated
to the card.

So a few years ago I bought a new cheap sound card ($25) the AMIII
was over $1000. I've been using the cheap one with its own Windows
drivers and it actually has a decent sound.

Recently (I just started recording again finally) I wanted to be able
to use the AMIII with its DAE driver with Logic and the cheap card
with Windows the rest of the time. And naturally have them both hooked
up to the mixer at the same time, instead of swapping cables all the
time.


>Your
>*cheapie sound card, if it's that old, may not be full duplex and you will
>need that to achieve simultaneous record and playback.

It is full duplex.

>There are other issues you will likely have (like audible latency with older
>drivers, less CPU horsepower and outdated audio hardware and Win 98) but
>with an analog mixer these can be mitigated..

I did have slight latency problems with both cards using Windows
drivers. But when I use the AMIII with its DAE driver there are no
latency problems at all.

Eric


>
>"Eric G" <EricG@ether.net> wrote in message
>news:e3ih31tb19psuoevtjpgs550k23d4qsegg@4ax.com...
>> I have a Mackie 1202 mixer (yes it's the old one).
>> I have two sound cards, a cheapie and the AMIII.
>>
>> Can someone please tell me how to hook up the sound cards to the
>> mixer? If you could be as specific as possible that would be great.
>>
>> I tried the following:
>> Cheap sound card:
>> Out to Tape In
>> In to Tape Out
>> AMIII:
>> Out to Stereo Aux returns
>> In to Aux send
>>
>> Couldn't hear the AMIII (that was with the Tape In /aux 2 activated or
>> unactivated).
>>
>> Ideally I'd like to have both sound cards available at the same time,
>> but I'd settle for one at a time.
>>
>> I'm using Win 98SE on an older PC.
>>
>> Thanks!!
>> Eric
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:51:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:49:03 -0500, "Ethan Winer" <ethanw at
ethanwiner dot com> wrote:

>Eric,
>
>> please tell me how to hook up the sound cards to the mixer? <
>
>See "Using a Mixer with a DAW" first in the list on my Articles page:
>
>www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html
>
>This article was written especially for you.
>
>--Ethan
>


Thanks Ethan, I'll read the article shortly.

Eric
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:55:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:14:57 GMT, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)"
<mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote:


Hi David,

I have a P233 that runs quite nicely with Win98SE
Only 64 Megs RAM but it works.

It pained me greatly to see my $1000 AMIII selling for a pittance
these days on eBay, and also that I resorted to using my cheap sound
card because the Windows drivers for the AMIII were always flaky.

But now I want to rejuvenate the AMIII card to use it with Logic
Audio. (using its dedicated DAE driver).

Eric


>You haven't said anything about your computer, and right now you
>don't need to... but every workstation that I currently have access
>to in ANY studio I work in, runs 98SE .....except one. (As I've been
>noticed mentioning, the XP system has random glitches).
>
>The AudioMedia III was a great little sound card.
>
>I just threw a 33mghz Apple Mac IIci (and a IIvx chassis) with a whopping
>20 meg of ram and a couple of 1 gig hard drives, into the trash this past
>Christmas. They were *still working* dedicated audio workstations
>running some very powerful stereo editing and MIDI sequencing programs.
>
>DM
>
>
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:59:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 16 Mar 2005 19:42:19 -0800, "Mark" <makolber@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Mark,

I'm trying to record the output (two channels) of either card A or
Card B on the computer and not have to re-cable either of the two
cards each time.

Today I started to have some success when I switched drivers on the
AMIII card. I switched to its DAE driver to be used with Logic Audio.
But one channel wasn't working. I hope I didn't blow something on the
card.

Eric

>
>Are you trying to playback the computer (2 ch or 4 ch) through the
>mixer or are you trying to record (2 ch or 4 ch) the output of the
>mixer on the computer, or both? What exactly are you trying to do?
>
>Mark
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:21:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Eric G wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:14:57 GMT, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)"
> <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote:
>
>
> Hi David,
>
> I have a P233 that runs quite nicely with Win98SE
> Only 64 Megs RAM but it works.
>
> It pained me greatly to see my $1000 AMIII selling for a pittance
> these days on eBay, and also that I resorted to using my cheap sound
> card because the Windows drivers for the AMIII were always flaky.
>
> But now I want to rejuvenate the AMIII card to use it with Logic
> Audio. (using its dedicated DAE driver).
>
> Eric
>
>
> >You haven't said anything about your computer, and right now you
> >don't need to... but every workstation that I currently have access
> >to in ANY studio I work in, runs 98SE .....except one. (As I've
been
> >noticed mentioning, the XP system has random glitches).
> >
> >The AudioMedia III was a great little sound card.
> >
> >I just threw a 33mghz Apple Mac IIci (and a IIvx chassis) with a
whopping
> >20 meg of ram and a couple of 1 gig hard drives, into the trash this
past
> >Christmas. They were *still working* dedicated audio workstations
> >running some very powerful stereo editing and MIDI sequencing
programs.
> >
> >DM
> >
> >

The earliest 'DAW' PC's I worked with were 8 track
I/O using 4 similar stereo cards.
You should be able to accomplish what you are tying to
do. To prove it I tried an experiment on my 98SE
machine: I enabled the on-board generic AC97 sound chip
in addition to my Echo Mia that I normally use on this
machine. Generic AC97 drivers. I am able to record
4 tracks _at the same time_ in Audition, with the 2
tracks from the AC97 chip recording at 16bit and 2
tracks from Mia at 24/32bit. The files are saved
correctly - 2 16bit mono files and 2 32bit mono files.
Playback is also 4 tracks at the same time through
2 computer speakers and 2 through my main monitors.

Check for the lastest drivers for the AM III.
There may be some other issues you are having
but it's not because it can't be done in Win98SE.

good luck
rd
March 18, 2005 1:19:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Eric G wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2005 19:42:19 -0800, "Mark" <makolber@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> I'm trying to record the output (two channels) of either card A or
> Card B on the computer and not have to re-cable either of the two
> cards each time.
>
> Today I started to have some success when I switched drivers on the
> AMIII card. I switched to its DAE driver to be used with Logic Audio.
> But one channel wasn't working. I hope I didn't blow something on the
> card.
>
> Eric
>
> >
> >Are you trying to playback the computer (2 ch or 4 ch) through the
> >mixer or are you trying to record (2 ch or 4 ch) the output of the
> >mixer on the computer, or both? What exactly are you trying to do?
> >
> >Mark

I guess you are trying to use one card for 2 ch playback out of the
computer and the other card for 2 ch record into the computer at the
same time. Sounds like you have computer driver issues that I cannot
help with. But I suggest you get another known good working audio
source into the mixer and phones pluged into the mixer just to help you
troubleshoot.

Mark
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 10:50:54 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I know what you mean... The external 1gig SCSI hard drives for
the Macs II's were over $1000 each when new. My first audio
workstation on PC was *exactly* the same as the PC you are
using now, totally dedicated to 2-track editing and pre-mastering
with Sound Forge (4.xx) , CD Architect (4.xx) and a few of the
Sonic Foundry plugs that came along at the same time as version
4 of Forge. This box is slow, as all editing was destructive and
requires re-writing of the files, but it still works just fine... as in
virtually glitchless. Unfortunately, when the burner goes on this
box, it will be reformatted and relegated to some friend's child
as an internet learning tool.

I don't know how much success you will have trying to run two
cards this way. With this age card, "full duplex" just meant that
you could record and playback from the same ports (digitally)
or as appropriate with analog connections. I don't think there
were facilities for monitoring thru-put while recording in either
card, only input or playback, and I know multitracking was
almost impossible.

Why am I thinking there should be drivers for that card in Logic?

DM


"Eric G" <EricG@ether.net> wrote in message news:p 32l311gpkvaubjh7r2dbauofrordvmvne@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 05:14:57 GMT, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)"
> <mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote:
>
>
> Hi David,
>
> I have a P233 that runs quite nicely with Win98SE
> Only 64 Megs RAM but it works.
>
> It pained me greatly to see my $1000 AMIII selling for a pittance
> these days on eBay, and also that I resorted to using my cheap sound
> card because the Windows drivers for the AMIII were always flaky.
>
> But now I want to rejuvenate the AMIII card to use it with Logic
> Audio. (using its dedicated DAE driver).
>
> Eric
>
>
> >You haven't said anything about your computer, and right now you
> >don't need to... but every workstation that I currently have access
> >to in ANY studio I work in, runs 98SE .....except one. (As I've been
> >noticed mentioning, the XP system has random glitches).
> >
> >The AudioMedia III was a great little sound card.
> >
> >I just threw a 33mghz Apple Mac IIci (and a IIvx chassis) with a whopping
> >20 meg of ram and a couple of 1 gig hard drives, into the trash this past
> >Christmas. They were *still working* dedicated audio workstations
> >running some very powerful stereo editing and MIDI sequencing programs.
> >
> >DM
> >
> >
>
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 10:58:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Eric G" <EricG@ether.net> wrote in message...

You may also have some DMA and IRQ issues with these cards
in this OS. What does "System Information" tell you about the
two sound cards and usage of the above?

DM
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:28:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 18 Mar 2005 08:21:30 -0800, "RD Jones" <annonn@juno.com> wrote:


Hi RD,

>
>The earliest 'DAW' PC's I worked with were 8 track
>I/O using 4 similar stereo cards.
>You should be able to accomplish what you are tying to
>do. To prove it I tried an experiment on my 98SE

>.....Check for the lastest drivers for the AM III.
>There may be some other issues you are having
>but it's not because it can't be done in Win98SE.
>
>good luck
>rd


I went back to the DAE dedicated driver for the AMIII in Logic audio.
It works, but I think I screwed up the card big-time when I was trying
to route the mixer correctly.
I probably broke rule no. 1 for making mixer connections: always turn
off your PC first!
Now only one channel is working on my AMIII card.

I guess that solves my problem. :( 

Eric
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:34:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Hi David,

>I don't know how much success you will have trying to run two
>cards this way. With this age card, "full duplex" just meant that
>you could record and playback from the same ports (digitally)
>or as appropriate with analog connections. I don't think there
>were facilities for monitoring thru-put while recording in either
>card, only input or playback, and I know multitracking was
>almost impossible.
>
>Why am I thinking there should be drivers for that card in Logic?
>
>DM


I'd just settle for using one card at a time, but I think I screwed
things up royally a couple of days ago when I was plugging/unplugging
cables into my mixer.
I think the whole issue now is mute, no pun intended.
I can only get sound from one channel using the AMIII.

I'm trying to console myself saying "Hey it was only $100 card in
today's market".

Anybody need an AMIII with one channel Analog out, two in, and one
channel Digital in/out?

Eric
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:43:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 18 Mar 2005 10:19:10 -0800, "Mark" <makolber@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>I guess you are trying to use one card for 2 ch playback out of the
>computer and the other card for 2 ch record into the computer at the
>same time. Sounds like you have computer driver issues that I cannot
>help with. But I suggest you get another known good working audio
>source into the mixer and phones pluged into the mixer just to help you
>troubleshoot.
>
>Mark


Thanks Mark I'll look into that. Right now I'm grieving over a
screw-up I think I made with the AMIII card.
I think I blew one output channel. Tests are bearing this out. :( 

Eric
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:52:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:58:13 GMT, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)"
<mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote:

>
>"Eric G" <EricG@ether.net> wrote in message...
>
>You may also have some DMA and IRQ issues with these cards
>in this OS. What does "System Information" tell you about the
>two sound cards and usage of the above?
>
>DM
>



A naive question:

Does the quality of the sound card affect the quality of the
recording, or is just a matter of mics, speed of recording, 16,
32-bit?

If the sound card has some effect I'm thinking maybe I can salvage the
AMIII by using it to record and then listen through one speaker for
the output.

Eric
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:52:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:52:13 -0500, Eric G <EricG@ether.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:58:13 GMT, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)"
><mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>"Eric G" <EricG@ether.net> wrote in message...
>>
>>You may also have some DMA and IRQ issues with these cards
>>in this OS. What does "System Information" tell you about the
>>two sound cards and usage of the above?
>>
>>DM
>>
>
>
>
> A naive question:
>
> Does the quality of the sound card affect the quality of the
>recording, or is just a matter of mics, speed of recording, 16,
>32-bit?
>
>If the sound card has some effect I'm thinking maybe I can salvage the
>AMIII by using it to record and then listen through one speaker for
>the output.

The quality of the converters on the card are definitely connected to
the quality of the recording.

Al
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 1:15:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 18 Mar 2005 08:21:30 -0800, "RD Jones" <annonn@juno.com> wrote:

>Check for the lastest drivers for the AM III.
>There may be some other issues you are having
>but it's not because it can't be done in Win98SE.
>
>good luck
>rd


It's still alive! Yippeee!

See post to Dave.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 1:22:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:50:54 GMT, "David Morgan \(MAMS\)"
<mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com> wrote:
>
>Why am I thinking there should be drivers for that card in Logic?
>
>DM

It's still alive!!! Yeah!!! What a relief.

I've got both channels working now.
The one channel problem stemmed from my initial posting.
I still hadn't plugged in properly to my mixer (there are so many
possible configurations).

Well now it seems to be working very nicely (using the DAE driver for
Logic + the AMIII) , and the cheap sound card with its Windows driver
for all else.

However I still am not sure if I've hooked up optimally to the mixer.
I'm using Stereo Aux send/returns for the AMIII card and Tape In/Out
for the generic sound card (I'm obviously plugged in differently to
the Aux channels than I was earlier when I first posted).

Things are looking brighter now.

Eric
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 11:49:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>> A naive question:
>>
>> Does the quality of the sound card affect the quality of the
>>recording, or is just a matter of mics, speed of recording, 16,
>>32-bit?
>>
>>If the sound card has some effect I'm thinking maybe I can salvage the
>>AMIII by using it to record and then listen through one speaker for
>>the output.
>
>The quality of the converters on the card are definitely connected to
>the quality of the recording.
>
>Al


Thanks AL. So the sound card affects both the recorded signal and the
signal that is later outputted from the card?

So would this mean that the sound listened to on a good sound card
that was initially recorded using a cheap sound card would be _about
the same_ as the sound listened to on a cheap sound card that was
recorded initially using a good sound card?

Eric
!