Treo 650, VersaMail -- Can't send mail

Although it's worked fine in the past, today cannot send email from
Treo 650 with VersaMail. In Boston.

Symptom: "Relaying Not Allowed"

Anyone else seeing this?

-- Sally

--
Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
SallyShears@gmail.com -or- Sally@Shears.org

    "Sally Shears" <SallyShears@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Although it's worked fine in the past, today cannot send email from
    > Treo 650 with VersaMail. In Boston.
    >
    > Symptom: "Relaying Not Allowed"

    I have a treo 650 using versamail and have no prob with this. Have you
    entered smtp.sprintpcs.com as your outgoing server?

    Sounds like you've got a different "reply to" in your config (as
    mentioned by previous reply) and ISP just blocked this functionality
    (typically to block spammers).

    In article <060220052001501399%SallyShears@gmail.com>, Sally Shears
    <SallyShears@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Although it's worked fine in the past, today cannot send email from
    > Treo 650 with VersaMail. In Boston.
    >
    > Symptom: "Relaying Not Allowed"
    >
    > Anyone else seeing this?

    Following up my own post...

    Thanks Zen and labboypro for comments.

    I looked into this a bit and have a solution that applies whenever you
    have a non-sprintpcs mail account on your Treo. I'm posting in case
    this helps someone else.

    My Treo 650 Versamail has two accounts, sprintpcs and a corporate email
    account. I don't want people to start using the sprintpcs email
    address, I just use the phone to collect the corporate account email
    via POP. I want outgoing messages to be "From:" the corporate account.

    The sprintname@sprintpcs.com account works fine. Sends mail OK. To do
    it's set-up, I used the screens through the "Basic Setup Complete...
    click Done" page in Versamail.

    I also have a mail account in Versamail for a corporate mail system. It
    is set up this way
    - username@corp.com
    - incoming mail server: my corporate mail server (this works)
    - outgoing mail server: smtp.sprintpcs.com
    - Again, set-up through "Basic Setup Complete"

    This used to work. Now, it appears to us that Sprint has changed their
    policy and no longer allows relaying through smtp.sprintpcs.com for
    other accounts without smtp auth.

    Solution:
    - Versamail
    - Accounts... Account setup
    - Pick the non-sprintpcs account
    - Edit
    - Next, Next to the last "Basic" screen. Tap "Advanced," not "Done"
    - Next... Outgoing Server Settings
    - Check "Use authentication (ESMTP)"
    - Username... enter sprintpcs username
    - Password... enter sprintpcs email password, not the corporate mail
    system password
    - Done

    Now, I can send mail from the Treo which is "From:" the corporate email
    address.

    I'm sure this is a policy change at Sprint over the past two months.
    But, Sprint support says "It's always been this way."

    -- Sally

    --
    Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
    SallyShears@gmail.com -or- Sally@Shears.org
    http://theWorld.com/~sshears

    Well, what you don't say is who do you have it config for, roadrunner, ATT,
    yahoo etc.
    Assuming its sprintpcs acct, make sure your id/pass are good.

    try dialing ##3382 enter to check your settings or call the vision helpdesk
    for sure 888-211-4727

    In article <090220051045232746%SallyShears@gmail.com>, SallyShears@gmail.com wrote:
    >In article <060220052001501399%SallyShears@gmail.com>, Sally Shears
    ><SallyShears@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Although it's worked fine in the past, today cannot send email from
    >> Treo 650 with VersaMail. In Boston.
    >>
    >> Symptom: "Relaying Not Allowed"

    As you've noted, the problem is SMTP authentication of your chosen SMTP
    server. I believe, in fact, smtp.sprintpcs.com *has* always
    required name/password authentication. BUT I have observed in the past 6
    months or so a change as well: Sprint/Vision (at least in most locales) is
    now blocking port 25 (SMTP) for anything other than smtp.sprintpcs.com.
    That is, whereas a while ago, you could use your own SMTP server to
    send out emails from a Vision phone, now you MUST use smtp.sprintpcs.com.
    That is kinda annoying to say the least, but I understand its for further spam
    control and one has to live with this...

    If you use yahoo mail they have opened up a new port that can be used for
    smtp mail. If port 25 is blocked by your isp, you can use this special port
    number. This is one of the reasons that I like yahoo mail.

    -mij

    Daniel Tso wrote:
    > In article <090220051045232746%SallyShears@gmail.com>, SallyShears@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>In article <060220052001501399%SallyShears@gmail.com>, Sally Shears
    >><SallyShears@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Although it's worked fine in the past, today cannot send email from
    >>>Treo 650 with VersaMail. In Boston.
    >>>
    >>>Symptom: "Relaying Not Allowed"
    >

    > As you've noted, the problem is SMTP authentication of your chosen SMTP
    > server. I believe, in fact, smtp.sprintpcs.com *has* always
    > required name/password authentication. BUT I have observed in the past 6
    > months or so a change as well: Sprint/Vision (at least in most locales) is
    > now blocking port 25 (SMTP) for anything other than smtp.sprintpcs.com.
    > That is, whereas a while ago, you could use your own SMTP server to
    > send out emails from a Vision phone, now you MUST use smtp.sprintpcs.com.
    > That is kinda annoying to say the least, but I understand its for further spam
    > control and one has to live with this...

    I have never used the Sprint SMTP server, and I've had my Treo 600 for
    over a year. In fact, I don't I've ever managed to get SPCS's smtp
    server to work.

    I suppose it's possible that they haven't closed that port in San Diego,
    but it's hard to imagine a reason why SPCS would give a hoot whether you
    use their SMTP server or your own!

    rlsusenet@NOSPAMPUHLEEZschnapp.org wrote:
    > Daniel Tso wrote:
    >> As you've noted, the problem is SMTP authentication of your chosen
    >> SMTP server. I believe, in fact, smtp.sprintpcs.com *has* always
    >> required name/password authentication. BUT I have observed in the
    >> past 6 months or so a change as well: Sprint/Vision (at least in most
    >> locales) is now blocking port 25 (SMTP) for anything other than
    >> smtp.sprintpcs.com. That is, whereas a while ago, you could use your
    >> own SMTP server to
    >> send out emails from a Vision phone, now you MUST use
    >> smtp.sprintpcs.com. That is kinda annoying to say the least, but I
    >> understand its for
    >> further spam control and one has to live with this...
    >
    > I have never used the Sprint SMTP server, and I've had my Treo 600 for
    > over a year. In fact, I don't I've ever managed to get SPCS's smtp
    > server to work.
    >
    > I suppose it's possible that they haven't closed that port in San
    > Diego, but it's hard to imagine a reason why SPCS would give a hoot
    > whether
    > you use their SMTP server or your own!

    Many, if not most, ISPs--and in this case SPCS is an ISP--block port 25
    nowadays. It's rather trivial to create your own SMTP server to send
    HUGE amounts of mail (spam). And on the PC side of things, many viruses
    contain their own SMTP server in order to propagate, without needing to
    hijack your email program.

    While these things may not be common on a Treo (though I would assume
    there are SMTP server apps for it), it's still treated the same as it's
    all part of "Vision."

    In my case, using a phone-to-laptop setup, I don't recall port 25 being
    blocked in the past. However, I kinda figured it was only a matter of
    time.

    --
    Mike
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message news:KlqPd.65652$bu.38350@fed1read06...
    > If you use yahoo mail they have opened up a new port that can be used for
    > smtp mail. If port 25 is blocked by your isp, you can use this special port
    > number. This is one of the reasons that I like yahoo mail.

    You must be referring to a premium (paid) version of Yahoo mail, since the
    free version doesn't have pop/smtp access.
    Gmail now has free pop/smtp access using non-standard (unblocked) ports.

    --
    John Richards
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    It only costs about $25 per year. It is worth the $$.

    "John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
    >> If you use yahoo mail they have opened up a new port that can be used for
    >> smtp mail. If port 25 is blocked by your isp, you can use this special
    >> port number. This is one of the reasons that I like yahoo mail.
    >
    > You must be referring to a premium (paid) version of Yahoo mail, since the
    > free version doesn't have pop/smtp access.
    > Gmail now has free pop/smtp access using non-standard (unblocked) ports.
    >
    > --
    > John Richards

Sprint PCS Email Treo Internet Service Providers