Compact Flash v. Minidisc for simple "sketchpad"?

Hello all -

I realize this is a "pro" discussion forum, so please don't laugh too loudly
at my question....

I'm looking for something low-end to use as a multitrack recorder/sketchpad
that offers "fair-to-middlin'" (certainly not "pro") quality, for home use only.

I was considering either a used minidisc multitrack deck like the Yamaha MD-8
(these can be had for very attractive prices these days), or a CompactFlash
type recorder like the Fostex MR-8.

I already use consumer-level MD for recording music off the radio, internet,
and tv, and like the format (even though it's a niche market here in the US).
I realize MD is a "lossy" format, but it still sounds pretty good to my
(aging) ears.

Granted, the Fostex is a more modern format, but the Yamaha MD-8 looks to be a
more featured unit, nicely laid out.

I'm leaning towards the MD-8. Any reason why the Fostex would be a better choice?

Thanks,
- John
2 answers Last reply
More about compact flash minidisc simple sketchpad

    In article <42391060.51AB5199@snet.net> j.albert@snet.net writes:

    > I'm looking for something low-end to use as a multitrack recorder/sketchpad
    > that offers "fair-to-middlin'" (certainly not "pro") quality, for home use
    > only.
    >
    > I was considering either a used minidisc multitrack deck like the Yamaha MD-8
    > (these can be had for very attractive prices these days), or a CompactFlash
    > type recorder like the Fostex MR-8.

    Newer is better on many levels. But make sure it does everything you
    want and that it's not complicated to turn on and start recording that
    you don't lose the good ideas that you wanted to recorded.

    > I'm leaning towards the MD-8. Any reason why the Fostex would be a better
    > choice?

    Availability of media, for one. Is the MD-8 still a current model, or
    will you have to find a used one and take your chances on condition
    and repairability? I remember when the MD-8 first came out thinking
    that it was a nice implementation so I might still agree with your
    opinion about layout and features. The Fostex compact flash recorders
    are pretty basic, but they may be all you need. The more features you
    have, the more things you have to learn how to dodge when you don't
    need them.

    Have you looked at the new TASCAM "Portastudio" recorders with the
    internal hard drive? That's the company who pioneered the
    recorder/mixer paradigm more than 25 years ago and have kept with it
    through many evolutions of hardware (including a short-lived
    Minidisk-based version). I think they know what they're talking about
    when they build a unit designed for quick and easy operation. And the
    fact that with today's digital technology, unlike the original 4-track
    cassette, it might even just produce tracks good enough to use in a
    final product other than as a novelty is a nice bonus.

    > I realize this is a "pro" discussion forum, so please don't laugh too
    loudly
    > at my question....

    Hmmm..... I always thought the "pro" in rec.audio.pro was "production" ?

Pro Audio Compact Flash Audio Product