Sprint to sell signal towers for $1.2B

By Jennifer Inez Ward, Marke****ch
Last Update: 12:10 AM ET Feb. 8, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO (Marke****ch) -- Sprint Corp. plans to sell more than
6,000 cellular-phone towers to Global Signal Inc. for about $1.2
billion to raise cash that may be used for network upgrades while it
leases back the towers, according to published reports late Monday.

The agreement for the signal-transmission towers may be announced as
early as Tuesday, according to published reports citing unnamed people
familiar with the matter.

According to published reports, Sprint, which has agreed to buy Nextel
Communications (NXTL: news, chart, profile) for $35 billion, said in
June that it would spend $1 billion through early 2006 on equipment for
providing high-speed wireless data services.

"It definitely frees up a lot of cash," Bloomberg News Service quoted
Clayton Moran, an analyst at Stanford Group Co. as saying. Sprint
could, "use the proceeds of a sale to reinvest in its network."

According to published reports, Sprint (FON: news, chart, profile) long
has wanted to sell its towers and then lease them. A deal with Global
Signal could be used to help Sprint reduce its debt.

Sarasota, Fla.-based Global Signal (GSL: news, chart, profile) and
Sprint reportedly declined to comment. Global owns, leases and manages
wireless communications towers and other communications sites,
according to its Web site. According to published reports, Global
Signal, which owns more than 3,000 towers, has bought three tower
companies since emerging from bankruptcy in November 2002.

Sprint, which has said at least since 2000 that it might sell its
towers, is beefing up other wireless operations as local- and
long-distance calling businesses decline, according to published
reports

According to the reports, mobile phone companies like Sprint are
building third generation networks, which help turn mobile phones and
laptop computers into devices that provide rapid wireless Internet
access.

Besides its third-generation project, Sprint could use sale proceeds to
improve the scope and quality of its voice network, Bloomberg quotes
Moran as saying

Bank of America Corp. (BAC: news, chart, profile) and Citigroup Inc.
(C: news, chart, profile) are advising Sprint on the sale, according to
reports.

According to reports, Sprint's network includes the towers it plans to
sell as well as about 16,000 rented from other companies.

On Monday Sprint shares closed down 60 cents to $23.95. Global Signal
shares closed at $28.02, up 23 cents or 0.83 percent.

http://cbs.marke****ch.com/news/sto...amp;dist=google

What does this mean to users of SprintPCS cell phones? Since Sprint is going
to lease-back the towers, I would assume that there would be no change in
cellular service. What does everyone think?

-mij

<larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sprint to sell signal towers for $1.2B
> By Jennifer Inez Ward, Marke****ch
> Last Update: 12:10 AM ET Feb. 8, 2005
>
> SAN FRANCISCO (Marke****ch) -- Sprint Corp. plans to sell more than
> 6,000 cellular-phone towers to Global Signal Inc. for about $1.2
> billion to raise cash that may be used for network upgrades while it
> leases back the towers, according to published reports late Monday.
>
> The agreement for the signal-transmission towers may be announced as
> early as Tuesday, according to published reports citing unnamed people
> familiar with the matter.
>
> According to published reports, Sprint, which has agreed to buy Nextel
> Communications (NXTL: news, chart, profile) for $35 billion, said in
> June that it would spend $1 billion through early 2006 on equipment for
> providing high-speed wireless data services.
>
> "It definitely frees up a lot of cash," Bloomberg News Service quoted
> Clayton Moran, an analyst at Stanford Group Co. as saying. Sprint
> could, "use the proceeds of a sale to reinvest in its network."
>
> According to published reports, Sprint (FON: news, chart, profile) long
> has wanted to sell its towers and then lease them. A deal with Global
> Signal could be used to help Sprint reduce its debt.
>
> Sarasota, Fla.-based Global Signal (GSL: news, chart, profile) and
> Sprint reportedly declined to comment. Global owns, leases and manages
> wireless communications towers and other communications sites,
> according to its Web site. According to published reports, Global
> Signal, which owns more than 3,000 towers, has bought three tower
> companies since emerging from bankruptcy in November 2002.
>
> Sprint, which has said at least since 2000 that it might sell its
> towers, is beefing up other wireless operations as local- and
> long-distance calling businesses decline, according to published
> reports
>
> According to the reports, mobile phone companies like Sprint are
> building third generation networks, which help turn mobile phones and
> laptop computers into devices that provide rapid wireless Internet
> access.
>
> Besides its third-generation project, Sprint could use sale proceeds to
> improve the scope and quality of its voice network, Bloomberg quotes
> Moran as saying
>
> Bank of America Corp. (BAC: news, chart, profile) and Citigroup Inc.
> (C: news, chart, profile) are advising Sprint on the sale, according to
> reports.
>
> According to reports, Sprint's network includes the towers it plans to
> sell as well as about 16,000 rented from other companies.
>
> On Monday Sprint shares closed down 60 cents to $23.95. Global Signal
> shares closed at $28.02, up 23 cents or 0.83 percent.
>

> http://cbs.marke****ch.com/news/sto...amp;dist=google

There will be no changes in coverage. In fact this deal will allow
Sprint to free up money to invest in the network so it's a win-win
situation.

It means the upkeep of the towers will be in the hands of others. Yhis
could not be good

> [...]
>> reports
>>
>> According to the reports, mobile phone companies like Sprint are
>> building third generation networks, which help turn mobile phones and
>> laptop computers into devices that provide rapid wireless Internet
>> access.
>>
>> Besides its third-generation project, Sprint could use sale proceeds
>> to improve the scope and quality of its voice network, Bloomberg
>> quotes Moran as saying
>>
>> Bank of America Corp. (BAC: news, chart, profile) and Citigroup Inc.
>> (C: news, chart, profile) are advising Sprint on the sale, according
>> to reports.
>>
>> According to reports, Sprint's network includes the towers it plans
>> to sell as well as about 16,000 rented from other companies.
>>
>> On Monday Sprint shares closed down 60 cents to $23.95. Global Signal
>> shares closed at $28.02, up 23 cents or 0.83 percent.

I do not believe that your statement is correct. Sprint will still have to
maintain the equipment that is installed on the towers. Sprint will be
leasing the towers, but will still need to maintain the equipment.

Ski wrote:
> It means the upkeep of the towers will be in the hands of others. Yhis
> could not be good

I think you're worrying too much. Most other cell carriers don't own their own
towers. I don't think we'll see any changes in the level of service.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)

Ski wrote:
> It means the upkeep of the towers will be in the hands of others. Yhis
> could not be good

Your statement is proven wrong by the fact that Nextel has had its
towers int he hands of Crown Castle communications for yers, as has
Verizon. Most of the big cellular companies do this and it works out
well for them. It's cheaper to lease a tower that is shared by many
carriers, than it is to own and maintain a tower that only has one
carrier (you) on it. And the revenue from multiple carriers renting
the same facilitiy makes upkeep of such a tower very profitable for the
tower leasing company.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.