Why do I need a microphone, anyway?

Last response: in Home Audio
March 18, 2005 2:24:58 AM

Can't I just hook up the wires to my tongue?

Please, EVERYONE be sure to jump in and explain.

More about : microphone

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 2:24:59 AM

Joe Sensor wrote:
> Can't I just hook up the wires to my tongue?

Yes. Don't forget to engage phantom power. ;-) Let us know how it turns out!

Do I sense a little RAP burnout here?

-Naren
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 2:24:59 AM

> Can't I just hook up the wires to my tongue?

Yes but you'll need vocal chords to amplify the tongue level signal to
professional line =P

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

"Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote in message
> Can't I just hook up the wires to my tongue?
>
> Please, EVERYONE be sure to jump in and explain.
March 18, 2005 3:30:33 AM

Naren wrote:

> Do I sense a little RAP burnout here?

Me thinks you have good sense.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 7:35:55 AM

I have a pdf available of my experience with t. leary
trying to short cuircut the interface

pzzzzzzzzzzt!!!

dale
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 8:36:47 AM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:24:58 -0600, Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net>
wrote:

>Can't I just hook up the wires to my tongue?

Have you read the FAQ (Frequenly Asked Questions) on DC (Direct
Connection)? http://www.recaudiopro.net and buy a copy of the RAP CD
set while you're there and they're still available.

But don't connect to your tongue, but rather your spinal c(h)ord.
What kind of connector do you have at the back of your neck? MIDI
(DIN-5)? XLR? Ethernet? Some have the connector further down, at the
base of their spine, and on others it's lower still.

>Please, EVERYONE be sure to jump in and explain.

Hope this helps. Have a nice night.

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
March 18, 2005 9:03:41 AM

In article <39v71aF66fv2nU1@individual.net>,
Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net> wrote:

> Can't I just hook up the wires to my tongue?
>
> Please, EVERYONE be sure to jump in and explain.

This depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

If its my entertainment.. please set up a video cam and hit record, take
the opposite ends of the wires connected to your tongue and shove them
into an electrical wall receptacle. Thank you.

Often times, stupid questions receive equally stupid answers. Just
trying to follow protocol.

Although I am waiting for the day to install female XLR plugs at the
back of my head connected to the 'sound' receptors in my brain. Wonder
how music will differ without reproduction through transducers, air and
inherently lossy ears.

hth,

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 9:03:45 AM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 05:36:47 GMT, Ben Bradley
<ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:24:58 -0600, Joe Sensor <crabcakes@emagic.net>
>wrote:
>>Can't I just hook up the wires to my tongue?

> But don't connect to your tongue, but rather your spinal c(h)ord.
>What kind of connector do you have at the back of your neck? MIDI
>(DIN-5)? XLR? Ethernet? Some have the connector further down, at the
>base of their spine, and on others it's lower still.
>
>>Please, EVERYONE be sure to jump in and explain.
>
> Hope this helps. Have a nice night.

The glorious day is almost begone, so I'll just say
don't bother wi' the spinal chord blarney. Go for te
di-rect brain ploogin. S'a charm.

Chris Hornbeck
Father Lonergan:
"Well, then. Now. I'll begin at the beginnin'. A fine soft day in the spring,
it was, when the train pulled into Castletown, three hours late as usual, and
himself got off. He didn't have the look of an American tourist at all about him.
Not a camera on him; what was worse, not even a fishin' rod."
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 9:58:17 AM

Ben Bradley wrote:
> But don't connect to your tongue, but rather your spinal c(h)ord.
> What kind of connector do you have at the back of your neck? MIDI
> (DIN-5)? XLR? Ethernet?

EDAC.

And *man* is that thing uncomfortable when I'm trying to sleep...

- Logan
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:56:45 AM

In article <d_u_d.9890$Ux.5131@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Ben Bradley wrote:
> > But don't connect to your tongue, but rather your spinal c(h)ord.
> > What kind of connector do you have at the back of your neck? MIDI
> > (DIN-5)? XLR? Ethernet?
>
> EDAC.
>
> And *man* is that thing uncomfortable when I'm trying to sleep...
>
> - Logan

You guys are SO 20th century! A SQUID (superconducting quantum interference
device) can directly detect the magnetic fields of your neurons without wires at
all. You might need a little magnetic shielding. Oh, and some liquid helium.

-Jay
March 18, 2005 11:57:40 AM

Joe Sensor wrote:

> Can't I just hook up the wires to my tongue?

You risk elicktrocution.

--
ha
Anonymous

John Lennon tried this and he's been shot...
I'd think about it twice...

"Joe Sensor" <crabcakes@emagic.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Can't I just hook up the wires to my tongue?
>
> Please, EVERYONE be sure to jump in and explain.
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 10:52:44 PM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:56:45 -0800, Jay Kadis <jay@ccrma.stanford.edu>
wrote:
> In article <d_u_d.9890$Ux.5131@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
> Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Ben Bradley wrote:
>> > But don't connect to your tongue, but rather your spinal c(h)ord.
>> > What kind of connector do you have at the back of your neck? MIDI
>> > (DIN-5)? XLR? Ethernet?
>>
>> EDAC.
>>
>> And *man* is that thing uncomfortable when I'm trying to sleep...
>>
>> - Logan
>

> You guys are SO 20th century! A SQUID (superconducting quantum interference
> device) can directly detect the magnetic fields of your neurons
> without wires at all. You might need a little magnetic shielding.
> Oh, and some liquid helium.

Wny not just use the medical tricorder to scan your brainwaves and
massage the output for transmission via your subspace transceiver?
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 10:52:45 PM

In article <gkG_d.149697$Th1.124494@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
Charles Krug <cdkrug@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:56:45 -0800, Jay Kadis <jay@ccrma.stanford.edu>
> wrote:
> > In article <d_u_d.9890$Ux.5131@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
> > Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> >> EDAC.
> >>
> >> And *man* is that thing uncomfortable when I'm trying to sleep...
> >>
> >> - Logan
> >

> > You guys are SO 20th century! A SQUID (superconducting quantum
> > interference
> > device) can directly detect the magnetic fields of your neurons
> > without wires at all. You might need a little magnetic shielding.
> > Oh, and some liquid helium.
> >

> Wny not just use the medical tricorder to scan your brainwaves and
> massage the output for transmission via your subspace transceiver?

I just hate that 1/8" TRS jack on the tricorder!

-Jay
March 18, 2005 10:52:45 PM

Charles Krug wrote:

> Wny not just use the medical tricorder to scan your brainwaves and
> massage the output for transmission via your subspace transceiver?

Tricorder latency renders your suggestion highly illogical.

-Naren (so much ignorance, so little space-time)
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 1:04:45 AM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:42:38 -0800, Naren <naren99@aol.com> wrote:
> Charles Krug wrote:
>
>> Wny not just use the medical tricorder to scan your brainwaves and
>> massage the output for transmission via your subspace transceiver?
>>

> Tricorder latency renders your suggestion highly illogical.
>
> -Naren (so much ignorance, so little space-time)

BAH . . the same tripe they claimed about MIDI latency, when it was
really slow-responding devices.

If you optimize your tricorder by disabling unneeded services, it's
PLENTY fast enough.
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:34:50 AM

Charles Krug wrote:

> If you optimize your tricorder by disabling unneeded services, it's
> PLENTY fast enough.

Yeah, but then you don't get coffee in bed.

--
ha
Anonymous

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 06:03:45 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
<chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:
>> But don't connect to your tongue, but rather your spinal c(h)ord.
>>What kind of connector do you have at the back of your neck? MIDI
>>(DIN-5)? XLR? Ethernet? Some have the connector further down, at the
>>base of their spine, and on others it's lower still.

Go direct to your brain. Be sure to use at least 220 volts with 100
amps.

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 10:53:23 PM

"Willie K.Yee, M.D." wrote:

>Go direct to your brain. Be sure to use at least 220 volts with 100
>amps.

So, the impedance of the brain is 2.2 ohms, huh?

;-)

| two, one and one make one."
mkesti@gv.net | - The Who, Bargain
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 12:29:22 AM

On 3/18/05 3:48 PM, in article jay-006C0E.12480818032005@news.stanford.edu,
"Jay Kadis" <jay@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote:

> In article <gkG_d.149697$Th1.124494@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> Charles Krug <cdkrug@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:56:45 -0800, Jay Kadis <jay@ccrma.stanford.edu>
>> wrote:

>>> You guys are SO 20th century! A SQUID (superconducting quantum
>>> interference
>>> device) can directly detect the magnetic fields of your neurons
>>> without wires at all. You might need a little magnetic shielding.
>>> Oh, and some liquid helium.
>>>

>> Wny not just use the medical tricorder to scan your brainwaves and
>> massage the output for transmission via your subspace transceiver?
>>

> I just hate that 1/8" TRS jack on the tricorder!

Oh hell those are a TREAT...
YOU try getting data out of a TOS 'corder with the sub-mini trs jack with
that whacky simplex power!!!!
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 1:00:38 AM

Anybody have a pinout for hacking into an Interociter?

>> I just hate that 1/8" TRS jack on the tricorder!
>
> Oh hell those are a TREAT...
> YOU try getting data out of a TOS 'corder with the sub-mini trs jack with
> that whacky simplex power!!!!

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 5:33:41 AM

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 13:21:34 -0800, "Michael R. Kesti" <mkesti@gv.net>
wrote:

>"Willie K.Yee, M.D." wrote:
>
>>Go direct to your brain. Be sure to use at least 220 volts with 100
>>amps.
>
>So, the impedance of the brain is 2.2 ohms, huh?

If the electrodes are properly wetted.

If you survive trying it a half a dozen times or so, I guarantee you
you will not be depressed.

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 7:54:26 PM

According to L Ron Hubbard, the quiescent electrical impedance is some
specific figure, I forget the numbers, but it differs for males and
females. Now he did not specify if XXY or XYY males, the surgically
transgendered, or hemaphrodites are different. Actually he never
specified how he determined this nor has it been independently
verified, but thousands of Scientologists who pay several thousand
dollars for E-meters can hardly be wrong.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 5:20:00 AM

On 3/20/05 7:54 PM, in article
1111366466.880149.170110@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
"calcerise@hotmail.com" <calcerise@hotmail.com> wrote:

> According to L Ron Hubbard, the quiescent electrical impedance is some
> specific figure, I forget the numbers, but it differs for males and
> females. Now he did not specify if XXY or XYY males, the surgically
> transgendered, or hemaphrodites are different. Actually he never
> specified how he determined this nor has it been independently
> verified, but thousands of Scientologists who pay several thousand
> dollars for E-meters can hardly be wrong.

http://www.funklogic.com/failures.html

The Spinalizer
Remember how cool EARTHQUAKE was in "Sensurround"?  We figured
that there should be a way to interface your mastering gear
directly to your spine, so EVERY one of the senses could feel
the power of the mix, at the core level.  We also felt
that 120VAC and even 220VAC, was entirely insufficient to
achieve an accurate mix.  (Again, our attorneys.....)
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:43:51 AM

In article <1111366466.880149.170110@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:

> According to L Ron Hubbard, the quiescent electrical impedance is some
> specific figure, I forget the numbers, but it differs for males and
> females. Now he did not specify if XXY or XYY males, the surgically
> transgendered, or hemaphrodites are different. Actually he never
> specified how he determined this nor has it been independently
> verified, but thousands of Scientologists who pay several thousand
> dollars for E-meters can hardly be wrong.

I had a physiology professor who was into Scientology. He showed us how to make
an E-meter from a Grass polygraph and two metal cans. The amazing thing was
that he could get volunteers to generate a response to a remembered pinch by
instructing them to recall the pinch. He never managed to recruit anyone based
on it, but it was a head scratcher.

-Jay
March 21, 2005 7:37:32 PM

In article <1111366466.880149.170110@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:

> According to L Ron Hubbard, the quiescent electrical impedance is some
> specific figure, I forget the numbers, but it differs for males and
> females. Now he did not specify if XXY or XYY males, the surgically
> transgendered, or hemaphrodites are different. Actually he never
> specified how he determined this nor has it been independently
> verified, but thousands of Scientologists who pay several thousand
> dollars for E-meters can hardly be wrong.

When I was involved in safety designs, we assumed it was 1500Ohms, but
based on measurement it was always quite a bit more.

Of course, we used a DVOM, not a proper resistance bridge, which would
have increased the voltage when the resistance was over (iirc) 20kOhms,
which might have been rather a Bad Thing connected to a live human.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 1:17:26 AM

If you are recording sound for an "Oxy-something" TV
commercial with Billy Mays, you likely don't need a
microphone. He yells so loud, we're probably hearing
the output form a microphonic cable.
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 1:09:37 PM

In article <114f4r89efqkbc@corp.supernews.com>,
Richard Crowley <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
>If you are recording sound for an "Oxy-something" TV
>commercial with Billy Mays, you likely don't need a
>microphone. He yells so loud, we're probably hearing
>the output form a microphonic cable.

They're advertising oxycontin on TV now?
--scott
March 28, 2005 4:18:41 PM

In article <d29371$kou$1@panix2.panix.com> kludge@panix.com writes:

> They're advertising oxycontin on TV now?

Could be. I often see drugs advertised that I have no idea what
they're for. Sort of like some DAW plug-ins.

March 28, 2005 8:32:26 PM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:17:26 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>If you are recording sound for an "Oxy-something" TV
>commercial with Billy Mays, you likely don't need a
>microphone. He yells so loud, we're probably hearing
>the output form a microphonic cable.

Is that one of them new, fancy, triboelectric cables?

What's the best microphonic non-microphone device to use as a
microphone? Here are a few offhand ideas:

The above-mentioned cable
A microphonic vacuum tube
A ceramic disk capacitor

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:19:02 PM

<rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:

>If you are recording sound for an "Oxy-something" TV
>commercial with Billy Mays, you likely don't need a
>microphone. He yells so loud, we're probably hearing
>the output form a microphonic cable.

Is that one of them new, fancy, triboelectric cables?

What's the best microphonic non-microphone device to use as a
microphone? Here are a few offhand ideas:

The above-mentioned cable
A microphonic vacuum tube
A ceramic disk capacitor

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 10:31:26 AM

news:D 29371$kou$1@panix2.panix.com...
> In article <114f4r89efqkbc@corp.supernews.com>,
> Richard Crowley <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote:
>>If you are recording sound for an "Oxy-something" TV
>>commercial with Billy Mays, you likely don't need a
>>microphone. He yells so loud, we're probably hearing
>>the output form a microphonic cable.
>
> They're advertising oxycontin on TV now?

I think he means Oxy-clean: http://www.ascleanedontv.com/oxyclean.html
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 4:10:08 PM

In article <znr1112021698k@trad>, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

>In article <d29371$kou$1@panix2.panix.com> kludge@panix.com writes:
>
>> They're advertising oxycontin on TV now?
>
>Could be. I often see drugs advertised that I have no idea what
>they're for. Sort of like some DAW plug-ins.

OXYCONTIN: ASK YOUR PUSHER.
--scott
March 29, 2005 4:27:18 PM

Joe Sensor wrote:
> Can't I just hook up the wires to my tongue?
>
> Please, EVERYONE be sure to jump in and explain.

All seriousness aside, this very matter came up with John Lennon and
George Martin. It is best told by Mark Lewisohn.

Lennon hated his voice and ALWAYS wanted some kind of effect on it.
When Geoff Emerick started DI-ing bass, guitars and other instruments,
Lennon (possibly a bit buzzed) asked if his voice could be DI-ed.
Martin said Sure, right after we install the jack in your neck.

Can you imagine Lennon hating HIS voice? I'd kill to have a voice half
that good.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 8:00:26 PM

Re: Why do I need a microphone, anyway?

Group: rec.audio.pro Date: Sun, Mar 27, 2005, 9:17pm (EST-3) From:
rcrowley7@xprt.net (Richard Crowley)

If you are recording sound for an "Oxy-something" TV commercial with
Billy Mays, you likely don't need a microphone. He yells so loud, we're
probably hearing the output from a microphonic cable.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

A friend does the location sound for those. What you're hearing is a
Countryman B6 lav into a Lectro wireless into a Sound Devices 442 mixer
feeding the camera. And yes Billy is really loud.

Eric
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 4:02:32 PM

<blackburst@aol.com> wrote:

> Can you imagine Lennon hating HIS voice?

I can't imagine he hated it as much as I do...

> I'd kill to have a voice half that good.

Damn, your voice must be *really* bad! <g>

Lennon was a lot of things, but a great singer wasn't one of 'em (in my
very humble opinion, with due respect to the man's amazing
accomplishments).

"Blackburst" huh? You sure you haven't spent too much in TV, thus
eliminating your ability to consider audio at all except when it isn't
there? <g>

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 10:00:39 AM

Lorin David Schultz wrote:
> <blackburst@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > Can you imagine Lennon hating HIS voice?
>
> I can't imagine he hated it as much as I do...

I suspet tht yours is a minority opinion. Lennon had, by my count,
about 7 different timbres to his voice, and he used them in ways nobody
had up to that time. He was raw and untrained, but used his instrument
with wild abandon. Twist and Shout with a bad cold? "I can't hide, I
can't hide"? The quasi-Dylan Norwegian Wood? The rawness of I Am The
Walrus? Lewisohn relates that the staff of an independent studio used
by the Beatles marvelled at his voice.

> > I'd kill to have a voice half that good.
>
> Damn, your voice must be *really* bad! <g>

Funny you should mention it- I used to be a good, popular singer, but
as I got older, I started having serious pitch problems, possibly
hearing-related. Antares Auto-Tune saved me for my personal recordings!
I hate to admit it.

> Lennon was a lot of things, but a great singer wasn't one of 'em (in
my
> very humble opinion, with due respect to the man's amazing
> accomplishments).

I respect your opinion, but my opinion is that his was THE voice of the
Beatles.

> "Blackburst" huh? You sure you haven't spent too much in TV, thus
> eliminating your ability to consider audio at all except when it
isn't
> there? <g>

Oh damn, you figured out the meaning of my screen name. Hey, just ask
Will or Danny- we TV guys are still plugged in to audio!!!!

Lorin David Schultz- sounds familiar. Are you famous?

> --
> "It CAN'T be too loud... some of the red lights aren't even on yet!"
> - Lorin David Schultz
> in the control room
> making even bad news sound good
>
> (Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 11:52:24 PM

You don't. just wire up an old tv speaker or something :p

Joe Sensor wrote:
> Can't I just hook up the wires to my tongue?
>
> Please, EVERYONE be sure to jump in and explain.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:04:14 AM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:52:24 -0400, mr_anderson <jboy3223@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>You don't. just wire up an old tv speaker or something :p
>
>Joe Sensor wrote:
>> Can't I just hook up the wires to my tongue?
>>
>> Please, EVERYONE be sure to jump in and explain.

Just when everyone decided this thread was a joke:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7247
-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:53:00 PM

Speech is one thing, Singing is another!

Tom

"Ben Bradley" <ben_nospam_bradley@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:52:24 -0400, mr_anderson <jboy3223@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >You don't. just wire up an old tv speaker or something :p
> >
> >Joe Sensor wrote:
> >> Can't I just hook up the wires to my tongue?
> >>
> >> Please, EVERYONE be sure to jump in and explain.
>

> Just when everyone decided this thread was a joke:
>
> http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7247
> -----
> http://mindspring.com/~benbradley
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:53:01 PM

In article <MIt7e.6286$An2.815@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Tommy B" <mrtomm@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Speech is one thing, Singing is another!
>
> Tom

I bet this thing sounds at least as good as Cher.

-Jay
April 14, 2005 4:53:02 PM

"Jay Kadis" <jay@ccrma.stanford.edu> wrote in message
> In article <MIt7e.6286$An2.815@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> "Tommy B" <mrtomm@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Speech is one thing, Singing is another!
> >
> > Tom
> >

> I bet this thing sounds at least as good as Cher.

Oh, the miracle of speech recognition, "Effect a torn back tine!"

dtk
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 10:45:23 PM

Jay, I thought I said singing.
dt, sound more like a cover by "Buckwheat".

Tom

!