Would the DX-4D work with the TEAC 3440 ?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
March 18, 2005 3:20:15 PM

Hello,

I know that the TEAC 3440 was orginally paired up with the RX-9 dbx NR unit
but they're pretty hard to find. The TASCAM DX-4D, on the other hand, is
relatively easy to find on the used market. It was originally used with the
TASCAM 34 and 38 recorders. Does anyone know for sure if the DX-4D will work
with the TEAC 3440 as well ? Your help is much appreciated.

~Daniel

More about : work teac 3440

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 3:20:16 PM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:20:15 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I know that the TEAC 3440 was orginally paired up with the RX-9 dbx NR unit
>but they're pretty hard to find. The TASCAM DX-4D, on the other hand, is
>relatively easy to find on the used market. It was originally used with the
>TASCAM 34 and 38 recorders. Does anyone know for sure if the DX-4D will work
>with the TEAC 3440 as well ? Your help is much appreciated.
>
>~Daniel

The DX-4D will work fine with a any decent reel to reel. 2 caveats:
1. the dx units are type I while the rx units are type which means
that they cannot decode one another's encoded tapes.
2. The dx-40 was not meant to be a "stand-alone" device because it
has a contol cable that was connected to the dbx contoll interface on
the Tascam 34 & 38's. the interface would turn either the encode or
decode section (can't remember which) on & off as needed. The dx-4
needs to have the center leg of each control transistor shorted to one
of the exterior legs to have all functions on thereby eliminating the
need for an outside controller.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 3:20:16 PM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:20:15 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I know that the TEAC 3440 was orginally paired up with the RX-9 dbx NR unit
>but they're pretty hard to find. The TASCAM DX-4D, on the other hand, is
>relatively easy to find on the used market. It was originally used with the
>TASCAM 34 and 38 recorders. Does anyone know for sure if the DX-4D will work
>with the TEAC 3440 as well ? Your help is much appreciated.

I do not think you can use Type I NR with the 3440. I think the low end
response is too rough for it to track properly. You're going to have to
find a used Type II machine. Or a Dolby B box for that matter.
--scott

Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 3:20:17 PM

On 18 Mar 2005 08:35:34 -0500, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:20:15 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>I know that the TEAC 3440 was orginally paired up with the RX-9 dbx NR unit
>>but they're pretty hard to find. The TASCAM DX-4D, on the other hand, is
>>relatively easy to find on the used market. It was originally used with the
>>TASCAM 34 and 38 recorders. Does anyone know for sure if the DX-4D will work
>>with the TEAC 3440 as well ? Your help is much appreciated.
>
>I do not think you can use Type I NR with the 3440. I think the low end
>response is too rough for it to track properly. You're going to have to
>find a used Type II machine. Or a Dolby B box for that matter.
>--scott

Gotta disagree with you on this one. I've used tpe I dbx on 3440's
and the arlier 3340's with no problems. Proper alignment is
paramount, though.

Rick Ruskin
Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
http://liondogmusic.com
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 3:20:17 PM

news:D 1elf6$qfn$1@panix2.panix.com...
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:20:15 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >I know that the TEAC 3440 was orginally paired up with the RX-9 dbx NR
unit
> >but they're pretty hard to find. The TASCAM DX-4D, on the other hand, is
> >relatively easy to find on the used market. It was originally used with
the
> >TASCAM 34 and 38 recorders. Does anyone know for sure if the DX-4D will
work
> >with the TEAC 3440 as well ? Your help is much appreciated.
>
> I do not think you can use Type I NR with the 3440. I think the low end
> response is too rough for it to track properly. You're going to have to
> find a used Type II machine. Or a Dolby B box for that matter.
> --scott

Type-I will work with the 1/4" 4-track. That's what was sold with the 1/2"
8-track machines from Tascam. Just be careful with recording bass...and
alignment. Don't hit it hard with bass tones and it sould work reasonably
well. If you hit it too hard, it will pump like mad. And if the bass is next
to a drum track and hit hard, it will pump in sync with the drums...yuk!
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 3:20:17 PM

In article <d1elf6$qfn$1@panix2.panix.com>, kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey)
wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:20:15 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >I know that the TEAC 3440 was orginally paired up with the RX-9 dbx NR unit
> >but they're pretty hard to find. The TASCAM DX-4D, on the other hand, is
> >relatively easy to find on the used market. It was originally used with the
> >TASCAM 34 and 38 recorders. Does anyone know for sure if the DX-4D will work
> >with the TEAC 3440 as well ? Your help is much appreciated.
>
> I do not think you can use Type I NR with the 3440. I think the low end
> response is too rough for it to track properly. You're going to have to
> find a used Type II machine. Or a Dolby B box for that matter.
> --scott

I used type I dbx on the 3300SX-2T for years and it worked fine. (Well, as good
as dbx ever worked...) And if it works on an 80-8, it should work on a 3440.

-Jay
March 19, 2005 1:47:29 AM

"Rick Ruskin" <liondog@isomedia.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:20:15 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I know that the TEAC 3440 was orginally paired up with the RX-9 dbx NR
>>unit
>>but they're pretty hard to find. The TASCAM DX-4D, on the other hand, is
>>relatively easy to find on the used market. It was originally used with
>>the
>>TASCAM 34 and 38 recorders. Does anyone know for sure if the DX-4D will
>>work
>>with the TEAC 3440 as well ? Your help is much appreciated.
>>
>>~Daniel
>>

> The DX-4D will work fine with a any decent reel to reel. 2 caveats:
> 1. the dx units are type I while the rx units are type which means
> that they cannot decode one another's encoded tapes.
> 2. The dx-40 was not meant to be a "stand-alone" device because it
> has a contol cable that was connected to the dbx contoll interface on
> the Tascam 34 & 38's. the interface would turn either the encode or
> decode section (can't remember which) on & off as needed. The dx-4
> needs to have the center leg of each control transistor shorted to one
> of the exterior legs to have all functions on thereby eliminating the
> need for an outside controller.

Thank you Rick but the 3440 does indeed have a dbx "control signal"
interface so I'm not sure what you mean ...

~Daniel

> Rick Ruskin
> Lion Dog Music - Seattle WA
> http://liondogmusic.com
March 19, 2005 1:49:45 AM

news:D 1elf6$qfn$1@panix2.panix.com...
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:20:15 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>I know that the TEAC 3440 was orginally paired up with the RX-9 dbx NR
>>unit
>>but they're pretty hard to find. The TASCAM DX-4D, on the other hand, is
>>relatively easy to find on the used market. It was originally used with
>>the
>>TASCAM 34 and 38 recorders. Does anyone know for sure if the DX-4D will
>>work
>>with the TEAC 3440 as well ? Your help is much appreciated.
>
> I do not think you can use Type I NR with the 3440. I think the low end
> response is too rough for it to track properly. You're going to have to
> find a used Type II machine. Or a Dolby B box for that matter.
> --scott

Actually, the rx-9, which originally was an accessory for the 3440, was a
dbx type 1 NR.

~Daniel

March 19, 2005 1:50:47 AM

"Michael Putrino" <putrino@juno.com> wrote in message
news:D 1eue1$rva$1@news01.intel.com...

> "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:D 1elf6$qfn$1@panix2.panix.com...
>> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:20:15 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >I know that the TEAC 3440 was orginally paired up with the RX-9 dbx NR
> unit
>> >but they're pretty hard to find. The TASCAM DX-4D, on the other hand, is
>> >relatively easy to find on the used market. It was originally used with
> the
>> >TASCAM 34 and 38 recorders. Does anyone know for sure if the DX-4D will
> work
>> >with the TEAC 3440 as well ? Your help is much appreciated.
>>
>> I do not think you can use Type I NR with the 3440. I think the low end
>> response is too rough for it to track properly. You're going to have to
>> find a used Type II machine. Or a Dolby B box for that matter.
>> --scott
>>

>> --
>> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
>
> Type-I will work with the 1/4" 4-track. That's what was sold with the 1/2"
> 8-track machines from Tascam. Just be careful with recording bass...and
> alignment. Don't hit it hard with bass tones and it sould work reasonably
> well. If you hit it too hard, it will pump like mad. And if the bass is
> next
> to a drum track and hit hard, it will pump in sync with the drums...yuk!

Note taken. Thanks! :) )

Daniel
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:44:04 AM

Daniel,

If you need an RX-9 DBX for a 3340, I have one that works. (I barely used
it) Hell, I'm looking to get rid of the recorder too if anyone's interested.

Mike T.

"Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D WI_d.716951$8l.92214@pd7tw1no...

> "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:D 1elf6$qfn$1@panix2.panix.com...
> > On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:20:15 GMT, "Daniel" <NotReal@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>I know that the TEAC 3440 was orginally paired up with the RX-9 dbx NR
> >>unit
> >>but they're pretty hard to find. The TASCAM DX-4D, on the other hand, is
> >>relatively easy to find on the used market. It was originally used with
> >>the
> >>TASCAM 34 and 38 recorders. Does anyone know for sure if the DX-4D will
> >>work
> >>with the TEAC 3440 as well ? Your help is much appreciated.
> >
> > I do not think you can use Type I NR with the 3440. I think the low end
> > response is too rough for it to track properly. You're going to have to
> > find a used Type II machine. Or a Dolby B box for that matter.
> > --scott
>
> Actually, the rx-9, which originally was an accessory for the 3440, was a
> dbx type 1 NR.
>
> ~Daniel
>

> > --
> > "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

March 20, 2005 9:52:14 AM

Hi Mike,

How much are you wanting for the RX-9 ? I tried your email but it doesn't
work.

Thanks,

Daniel

!