Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Calling from US sprint pcs to canada

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:06:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

if i am not in the sprint pcs international plan, how much do i get charged
per min. (+the air minutes)

thx
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:53:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

fox13 wrote:
> if i am not in the sprint pcs international plan, how much do i get charged
> per min. (+the air minutes)

$.42 per minute. Generally, you're going to get gouged on any
international call unless you have the international calling add-on.
That's pretty much the case on all carriers.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 3:26:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 23:53:37 -0500, Isaiah Beard wrote:

> fox13 wrote:
>> if i am not in the sprint pcs international plan, how much do i get charged
>> per min. (+the air minutes)
>
> $.42 per minute. Generally, you're going to get gouged on any
> international call unless you have the international calling add-on.
> That's pretty much the case on all carriers.

In this case that isn't true. Verizon, for example, offered a special
promotion for their north east regional customers calling to Canada free.
I can't recall the specific add-on/plan but came across it because I do
a lot of international calls to Canada. Luckily my home phone service
offers a 5dollar add-on for free long distance to Canada but I wish I had
it with my Sprintpcs phone. You can try the solution I found. I use a
voip/asterisk setup for work pbx that has North America calling free. I
just dial into it from my Sprintpcs phone then dial the people I need to
talk to in Canada. You can of course put a calling card on speed dial as
well. There are cards that for a fixed fee allow near unlimited or
unlimited calling to Canada monthly. It all depends on your usage
patterns. Keep in mind the rechargeable calling card's minutes usually
expire after a set period of months.

I hope my rambling has helped.
Related resources
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 2:13:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Central wrote:

>>$.42 per minute. Generally, you're going to get gouged on any
>>international call unless you have the international calling add-on.
>>That's pretty much the case on all carriers.

> In this case that isn't true. Verizon, for example, offered a special
> promotion for their north east regional customers calling to Canada free.

They USED to. Near as I can tell, they don't anymore, and I think they
even went so far as to wean users off that add-on whenever they cnaged
plans or renewed a contract. The game with VZW is that once you have
something good, you need to avoid EVER having ANY reason to call
customer care ever again for fear that you'll lose it. :) 

> I can't recall the specific add-on/plan but came across it because I do
> a lot of international calls to Canada. Luckily my home phone service
> offers a 5dollar add-on for free long distance to Canada but I wish I had
> it with my Sprintpcs phone. You can try the solution I found. I use a
> voip/asterisk setup for work pbx that has North America calling free. I
> just dial into it from my Sprintpcs phone then dial the people I need to
> talk to in Canada.

Presently, I do just about the same thing, only I have VoIP service
through Packet8. I can log in to the packet8 website either on a nearby
computer or through the browser in my Treo 650, then set that phone to
forward calls to whichever number in Canada I'd like to dial. Then,
whiel I'm on the phone, I can use a computer to switch my accoutn back
to normal. :) 




--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
April 16, 2005 5:26:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

but if you have "sprint pcs call canada" it's $.09/ minute


"fox13" <pspice13@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:a97d24e0bd7fcbe2a02162103e7054f5@localhost.talkaboutelectronicequipment.com...
> if i am not in the sprint pcs international plan, how much do i get
> charged
> per min. (+the air minutes)
>
> thx
>
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 5:39:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:26:54 -0500, "pb" <whoz@centuryNOSPAMtel.net>
wrote:

>but if you have "sprint pcs call canada" it's $.09/ minute

Plus $3.00/month if I recall, is that correct?

DGI
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 6:24:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

David G. Imber wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:26:54 -0500, "pb" <whoz@centuryNOSPAMtel.net>
> wrote:
>
>
>>but if you have "sprint pcs call canada" it's $.09/ minute
>
>
> Plus $3.00/month if I recall, is that correct?

Correct.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
April 18, 2005 9:22:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

$7/ month


"David G. Imber" <imber@maniform.com> wrote in message
news:95s76159ees1pp7ci5nviqgr3hcr5aig1t@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 13:26:54 -0500, "pb" <whoz@centuryNOSPAMtel.net>
> wrote:
>
>>but if you have "sprint pcs call canada" it's $.09/ minute
>
> Plus $3.00/month if I recall, is that correct?
>
> DGI
>
>
April 19, 2005 4:08:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <wICdnWs94eVyxfzfRVn-ig@centurytel.net>,
"pb" <whoz@centuryNOSPAMtel.net> wrote:

> but if you have "sprint pcs call canada" it's $.09/ minute
>
>
> "fox13" <pspice13@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:a97d24e0bd7fcbe2a02162103e7054f5@localhost.talkaboutelectronicequipment.c
> om...
> > if i am not in the sprint pcs international plan, how much do i get
> > charged
> > per min. (+the air minutes)
> >
> > thx


Try using www.onesuite.com

I use them to call Mexico, Cuba and S. America regularly. Occasionally
Canada and Europe. They have great rates and since you dial a US local
(or 800) phone number (depending on your location) you use a cell minute
plus pay onesuite whatever their charge is.

I have no financial interest in the company other than a satisfied
customer. I used to use them when I had a wired phone in my home.

HTH IMO YMMV


Jai
April 19, 2005 4:50:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Joshua wrote:
> In article <wICdnWs94eVyxfzfRVn-ig@centurytel.net>,
> "pb" <whoz@centuryNOSPAMtel.net> wrote:
>
>> but if you have "sprint pcs call canada" it's $.09/ minute
>>
>>
>> "fox13" <pspice13@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:a97d24e0bd7fcbe2a02162103e7054f5@localhost.talkaboutelectronicequipment.c
>> om...
>>> if i am not in the sprint pcs international plan, how much do i get
>>> charged
>>> per min. (+the air minutes)
>>>
>>> thx
>
>
> Try using www.onesuite.com
>
> I use them to call Mexico, Cuba and S. America regularly. Occasionally
> Canada and Europe. They have great rates and since you dial a US local
> (or 800) phone number (depending on your location) you use a cell
> minute
> plus pay onesuite whatever their charge is.
>
> I have no financial interest in the company other than a satisfied
> customer. I used to use them when I had a wired phone in my home.
>

I use Onesuite too. You can assign several of your numbers as "ZIPDial"
numbers. When you call Onesuite's 800#, your ZIPDial number is
identified via the ANI, so you don't need to enter any PIN number at
all. Very convenient. If you place Onesuite's 800# on speed-dial, it's
really no trouble at all (IMO).

Plus, unlike prepaid calling cards, everything with Onesuite is done
online. So you can track calls, recharge minutes, etc. I've used them
since 2002 and have never once needed to speak with a human.

I even had my LD removed from my home phone lines, so that I only use
Onesuite (both lines setup for ZIPDial, with Onesuite's 800# on
speed-dial). I think I was paying around 5 cents per minute, which
wasn't bad. But once I added up the surcharges and fees and other stuff
(just for LD) I found my actual price was closer to 7 cents or more.
With Onesuite I pay 2.9 cents per minute--no other charges, taxes, or
fees are added on.

And I also have no affiliation with the company. I just think they're a
pretty good deal, and don't really have any "gotchas." YMMV.


--
Mike
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 7:40:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> wrote in message
news:3cl5ooF6m1o4pU1@individual.net...
> I use Onesuite too. You can assign several of your numbers as "ZIPDial"
> numbers. When you call Onesuite's 800#, your ZIPDial number is identified
> via the ANI, so you don't need to enter any PIN number at all. Very
> convenient. If you place Onesuite's 800# on speed-dial, it's really no
> trouble at all (IMO).

Isn't this an opportunity, like the cellualar voice mail, now the Caller ID
can be spoofed, so someone can spoof their way into your long distance
account?
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 7:42:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

In article <%0e9e.2919$Gq6.1403@fe02.lga>, Thurman
<thurman@bigplanet.com> wrote:

> "Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> wrote in message
> news:3cl5ooF6m1o4pU1@individual.net...
> > I use Onesuite too. You can assign several of your numbers as
> > "ZIPDial" numbers. When you call Onesuite's 800#, your ZIPDial
> > number is identified via the ANI, so you don't need to enter any
> > PIN number at all. Very convenient. If you place Onesuite's 800# on
> > speed-dial, it's really no trouble at all (IMO).
>
> Isn't this an opportunity, like the cellualar voice mail, now the
> Caller ID can be spoofed, so someone can spoof their way into your
> long distance account?

Good question, but the answer is no. They aren't using Caller ID,
they're using ANI, which is far more difficult to spoof.

Anybody with a PBX can spoof Caller ID with trivial effort. However,
spoofing ANI is both more difficult and more likely to be detected.

ANI (Automatic Number Identification) is the telcos' internal billing
mechanism. For ordinary residential and single-line business customers,
your ANI and Caller ID will be the same. If you're behind a PBX, your
ANI is the line identification number for your trunk line from the
local telco. In some cases, ANI can even be a non-customer-dialable
number, like 770-123-4567 (local prefix beginning with 0 or 1).

--
Linc Madison * San Francisco, California * lincmad@suespammers.org
<http://www.LincMad.com&gt; * primary e-mail: Telecom at LincMad dot com
All U.S. and California anti-spam laws apply, incl. CA BPC 17538.45(c)
This text constitutes actual notice as required in BPC 17538.45(f)(3).
DO NOT SEND UNSOLICITED E-MAIL TO THIS ADDRESS. You have been warned.
April 20, 2005 12:16:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Thurman wrote:
> "Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> wrote in message
> news:3cl5ooF6m1o4pU1@individual.net...
>> I use Onesuite too. You can assign several of your numbers as
>> "ZIPDial" numbers. When you call Onesuite's 800#, your ZIPDial
>> number is identified via the ANI, so you don't need to enter any PIN
>> number at all. Very convenient. If you place Onesuite's 800# on
>> speed-dial, it's really no trouble at all (IMO).
>
> Isn't this an opportunity, like the cellualar voice mail, now the
> Caller ID can be spoofed, so someone can spoof their way into your
> long distance account?

As Linc answered, and I mentioned originally, it uses ANI not CSID. And
while I suppose, if someone were that determined, and had the resources,
they might be able to spoof ANI, methinks they'd be wasting a heck of a
lot of time trying to find the statistically insignificant percentage of
people that not only use Onesuite (or similar), but use ZIPDial too.

And for what? Since it's prepaid, I rarely have more than $20-$30 on my
account (that's over 800 minutes), so the most they can do is use up my
minutes (you can't do anything else but make calls with
ZIPDial--everything else is handled on the Web; passwords, PIN changes,
recharging, etc.). And that of course would leave me with a detailed
record of every number dialed. But I seriously doubt I'll ever run into
that.


--
Mike
!