Bought my Sanyo 7400 today ..and

I can actually hear the person calling me :) Sprint had a 150 rebate
and then I get a $50.00 credit for my old phone. They do make you get
the vision thing for 2 months for free and when I get my rebate I can
cancel it. I don't really know what the vision is and they were waaay
to busy to answer any questions today.

Can anyone tell me how the text message program works? Can you text
other carriers or only Sprint people?

I love the voice activated calling feature...voice recognition is
extra $$$...what does that do different..

Thanks to anyone that answers me..I don't mean to be a pain asking too
many questions..

I guess I need to call a Sprint service person

nicki
19 answers Last reply
More about bought sanyo 7400 today

    Smiling Wickedly, nicki8801@yahoo.com answered:

    > I can actually hear the person calling me :) Sprint had a 150 rebate
    > and then I get a $50.00 credit for my old phone. They do make you get
    > the vision thing for 2 months for free and when I get my rebate I can
    > cancel it. I don't really know what the vision is and they were waaay
    > to busy to answer any questions today.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me how the text message program works? Can you text
    > other carriers or only Sprint people?

    I asked the same question a couple of days ago.
    for verizon, apparently you can. You send a message to

    yourfriendscellNumber@vtext.com
    replace the obvious above with the actual phone #

    > I love the voice activated calling feature...voice recognition is
    > extra $$$...what does that do different..

    I use the built in Voice recognition too. I don't exactly know why one
    would want to PAY for voice command either.

    > Thanks to anyone that answers me..I don't mean to be a pain asking too
    > many questions..
    >
    > I guess I need to call a Sprint service person
    >
    > nicki
    That might help Nicki, Although, I have got more answers here, than I
    have any where else.

    --
    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

    Michael Arends wrote:

    > yourfriendscellNumber@vtext.com
    > replace the obvious above with the actual phone #

    On Verizon, you can also set up an alias. I used to be sjsobol [AT] vtext.com,
    for example, and that email address delivered text messages to my phone just
    like MyOldVerizonNumber [at] vtext.com. You should ask the person receiving the
    message if they have an alias and if they prefer you to use it.

    >>I love the voice activated calling feature...voice recognition is
    >>extra $$$...what does that do different..
    >
    > I use the built in Voice recognition too. I don't exactly know why one
    > would want to PAY for voice command either.

    a> I believe Voice Command allows for more voicedial entries than most phones
    b> You can do digit dialing for phone numbers you don't have saved (in other
    words, say "Dial 2 1 6 5 5 5 1 2 1 2" to dial 216/555-1212)

    However, Samsung handsets eliminate those two issues - and that's the number
    one reason I'm such a big fan of Samsung phones on Sprint, in spite of their
    shortcomings. You don't need to train the voice services, and you don't have to
    create distinct voice dial entries for each phonebook entry. And Sprint
    Samsungs do voice digit dialing on their own without requiring Voice Command.

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:45:39 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >However, Samsung handsets eliminate those two issues - and that's the number
    >one reason I'm such a big fan of Samsung phones on Sprint, in spite of their
    >shortcomings. You don't need to train the voice services, and you don't have to
    >create distinct voice dial entries for each phonebook entry. And Sprint
    >Samsungs do voice digit dialing on their own without requiring Voice Command.

    The built-in voice recognition on the Sanyo MM7400 does digit dialing,
    voice tags, and recognizes names from the contact list. It works very
    well...much better after I did the voice training, which took very
    little time.

    Joseph Huber
    Huber.Joseph@comcast.net

    Joseph Huber wrote:

    >>However, Samsung handsets eliminate those two issues - and that's the number
    >>one reason I'm such a big fan of Samsung phones on Sprint, in spite of their
    >>shortcomings. You don't need to train the voice services, and you don't have to
    >>create distinct voice dial entries for each phonebook entry. And Sprint
    >>Samsungs do voice digit dialing on their own without requiring Voice Command.
    >
    > The built-in voice recognition on the Sanyo MM7400 does digit dialing,
    > voice tags, and recognizes names from the contact list. It works very
    > well...much better after I did the voice training, which took very
    > little time.

    Sweet. I wasn't aware there were any non-Samsung phones that did digit dial.
    None of the older Sanyos apparently do. Sanyos have the advantage of having
    consistently better RF circuitry, so the additional voice dial features are
    definitely A Good Thing.

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)

    I have the 7400 and it RULES!!

    -mij

    "Joseph Huber" <huber.joseph@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:45:39 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>However, Samsung handsets eliminate those two issues - and that's the
    >>number
    >>one reason I'm such a big fan of Samsung phones on Sprint, in spite of
    >>their
    >>shortcomings. You don't need to train the voice services, and you don't
    >>have to
    >>create distinct voice dial entries for each phonebook entry. And Sprint
    >>Samsungs do voice digit dialing on their own without requiring Voice
    >>Command.
    >
    > The built-in voice recognition on the Sanyo MM7400 does digit dialing,
    > voice tags, and recognizes names from the contact list. It works very
    > well...much better after I did the voice training, which took very
    > little time.
    >
    > Joseph Huber
    > Huber.Joseph@comcast.net

    It does digit dialing very well, however, it must be expecting a 7 or 10
    digit number. For example, you cannot get the phone to digit dial "611".

    -mij

    > Joseph Huber wrote:
    >
    >>>However, Samsung handsets eliminate those two issues - and that's the
    >>>number one reason I'm such a big fan of Samsung phones on Sprint, in
    >>>spite of their shortcomings. You don't need to train the voice services,
    >>>and you don't have to create distinct voice dial entries for each
    >>>phonebook entry. And Sprint Samsungs do voice digit dialing on their own
    >>>without requiring Voice Command.
    >>
    >> The built-in voice recognition on the Sanyo MM7400 does digit dialing,
    >> voice tags, and recognizes names from the contact list. It works very
    >> well...much better after I did the voice training, which took very
    >> little time.
    >
    > Sweet. I wasn't aware there were any non-Samsung phones that did digit
    > dial. None of the older Sanyos apparently do. Sanyos have the advantage of
    > having consistently better RF circuitry, so the additional voice dial
    > features are definitely A Good Thing.
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >
    > "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    > Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    > amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)

    yourfriendscellNumber@vtext.com is for sending a SMS message from a
    computer's web browser. From the SMS client in your recent-model SPCS
    phone, you just enter the other person's 10-digit phone number. I've
    sent SMS messages to ATTWS and Cingular phones.

    Want more to read, Nicki, when you've finished that 300 page manual?
    Somewhere in the description of PCS Vision on the SPCS website is a
    downloadable 132-page manual all about Vision. Enjoy your new phone!

    Michael Arends wrote:
    >>Can anyone tell me how the text message program works? Can you text
    >>other carriers or only Sprint people?
    >

    > I asked the same question a couple of days ago.
    > for verizon, apparently you can. You send a message to
    >
    > yourfriendscellNumber@vtext.com
    > replace the obvious above with the actual phone #

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:44:21 -0600, Joseph Huber
    <huber.joseph@comcast.net> wrote:

    >On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:45:39 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    >wrote:
    >>
    >>However, Samsung handsets eliminate those two issues - and that's the number
    >>one reason I'm such a big fan of Samsung phones on Sprint, in spite of their
    >>shortcomings. You don't need to train the voice services, and you don't have to
    >>create distinct voice dial entries for each phonebook entry. And Sprint
    >>Samsungs do voice digit dialing on their own without requiring Voice Command.
    >
    >The built-in voice recognition on the Sanyo MM7400 does digit dialing,
    >voice tags, and recognizes names from the contact list. It works very
    >well...much better after I did the voice training, which took very
    >little time.
    >
    >Joseph Huber
    >Huber.Joseph@comcast.net

    It seems to recognize strong voices better..I am having a bit of a
    problem.....so I need to talk lower. I said home and it tried dialing
    Pam and I tried to call my husband's cell number.... I have him down
    as - Boss ( though he isn't) in the phone book and it tried to dial
    Bomps ( my dad)

    I downloaded the instruction book from online and it had over 300
    pages..

    nicki
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:27:38 -0800, "Mij Adyaw"
    <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:

    >I have the 7400 and it RULES!!
    >
    >-mij

    I wish you would call me and tell me how to use it..I hate reading
    this downloaded 300 page book. Can you tell me one thing..how do I
    get it to vibrate and ring..I don't even see that in the Index

    nicki
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Open the phone and use the up-down button on the left side of the phone. You
    can set it to level-1 and vibrate (low ringer volume) or Level 4 and vibrate
    (high volume). That is all that there is to it.

    -mij

    <nicki@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:27:38 -0800, "Mij Adyaw"
    > <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have the 7400 and it RULES!!
    >>
    >>-mij
    >>

    > I wish you would call me and tell me how to use it..I hate reading
    > this downloaded 300 page book. Can you tell me one thing..how do I
    > get it to vibrate and ring..I don't even see that in the Index
    >
    > nicki

  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:38:39 -0800, "Mij Adyaw"
    <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:

    >Open the phone and use the up-down button on the left side of the phone. You
    >can set it to level-1 and vibrate (low ringer volume) or Level 4 and vibrate
    >(high volume). That is all that there is to it.
    >
    >-mij

    That was easy..on my old phone it was on the right side..but the
    camera is on here and I tried that little button at the top on the
    right and it didn't do it either. Thanks

    nicki
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:38:39 -0800, "Mij Adyaw"
    <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:

    >Open the phone and use the up-down button on the left side of the phone. You
    >can set it to level-1 and vibrate (low ringer volume) or Level 4 and vibrate
    >(high volume). That is all that there is to it.
    >
    >-mij
    >

    ><nicki@nomail.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:27:38 -0800, "Mij Adyaw"
    >> <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have the 7400 and it RULES!!
    >>>
    >>>-mij

    Last question..are there music song types of rings on here? I am
    reading what it says to do..but it seems to only have 4 tones and I am
    sure that isn't right..I'll keep reading but I like these short cuts
    better :)
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Voice Command holds more numbers.. I want to say it's 300, but I don't
    recall exactly, and supposedly Sprint's system will recognize any voice
    saying the name, not just your own voice. It's supposed to be more user
    friendly but I haven't bothered to pay for it to find out.

    Mark L.

    > I use the built in Voice recognition too. I don't exactly know why one
    > would want to PAY for voice command either.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    <nicki8801@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I can actually hear the person calling me :) Sprint had a 150 rebate
    > and then I get a $50.00 credit for my old phone. They do make you get
    > the vision thing for 2 months for free and when I get my rebate I can
    > cancel it.

    Actually, that rebate check may take 8 to 10 weeks to show up. If you find
    you don't like Vision and the pending addl extra expense after 60 days, Just
    cancel it in 30 days ...

    > I don't really know what the vision is and they were waaay
    > to busy to answer any questions today.

    It's the service that allows you do send and receive SMSs on your phone,
    download ringers & pictures & games, send pictures & videos you take to
    others, get news, scores, stock prices, weather, etc. via the internet on
    your phone.
    http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ueContent.jsp?scTopic=servicesFeatures

    > Can anyone tell me how the text message program works? Can you text
    > other carriers or only Sprint people?
    >
    > I love the voice activated calling feature...voice recognition is
    > extra $$$...what does that do different..
    >
    > Thanks to anyone that answers me..I don't mean to be a pain asking too
    > many questions..
    >
    > I guess I need to call a Sprint service person

    Well, others have piped in on SMS and Voice activated calling. As your
    particular phone has a lot of features, I'd suggest reading the manual you
    downloaded ... Enjoy that new phone :).

    Bob
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:26:34 -0800, Frank Harris
    <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote:

    >yourfriendscellNumber@vtext.com is for sending a SMS message from a
    >computer's web browser. From the SMS client in your recent-model SPCS
    >phone, you just enter the other person's 10-digit phone number. I've
    >sent SMS messages to ATTWS and Cingular phones.
    >
    >Want more to read, Nicki, when you've finished that 300 page manual?
    >Somewhere in the description of PCS Vision on the SPCS website is a
    >downloadable 132-page manual all about Vision. Enjoy your new phone!

    I did get the text part to work. My daughter doesn't have a text
    phone so I will probably cancel it...I don't think my husband would
    like me to be texting him at work all day.

    Instead of reading that dang long manual..I would like you all to tell
    me your fav part of the 7400 and how to get it to work :)

    nicki
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    nicki8801@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I can actually hear the person calling me :) Sprint had a 150 rebate
    > and then I get a $50.00 credit for my old phone. They do make you get
    > the vision thing for 2 months for free and when I get my rebate I can
    > cancel it. I don't really know what the vision is and they were waaay
    > to busy to answer any questions today.

    Vision is basically data services. From a absic point of view, it's
    what allows you to view web sites, sports scores, news headlines,
    weather updates, etc from your Sprint phone as well as download
    ringtones and graphics. Of course depending on your phone and how tech
    savvy you are, Vision can be used to give toher things data services too
    (not "legally" though).

    > Can anyone tell me how the text message program works? Can you text
    > other carriers or only Sprint people?

    You can text other US carriers and SOME international carriers. If you
    have a Vision pack added to your plan, then you can send or receive 100
    text messages a month. For $5 more, you can get unlimtied messaging.

    > I love the voice activated calling feature...voice recognition is
    > extra $$$...what does that do different..

    There's two types of voice recognition: one that's phone based, and one
    that's a network-based add-on. There difference is that the network
    version (the one you pay $5 a month for) is more sophisitcated, allows
    you to hold many more contacts, can be updated over the web, will follow
    you to a new phone when you upgrade or change handsets, AND it is not
    tied to a single person's voice (i.e., anyone who can speak can use
    voice dial on your phone).

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:08:00 -0500, Isaiah Beard
    <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:

    >nicki8801@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> I can actually hear the person calling me :) Sprint had a 150 rebate
    >> and then I get a $50.00 credit for my old phone. They do make you get
    >> the vision thing for 2 months for free and when I get my rebate I can
    >> cancel it. I don't really know what the vision is and they were waaay
    >> to busy to answer any questions today.
    >
    >Vision is basically data services. From a absic point of view, it's
    >what allows you to view web sites, sports scores, news headlines,
    >weather updates, etc from your Sprint phone as well as download
    >ringtones and graphics. Of course depending on your phone and how tech
    >savvy you are, Vision can be used to give toher things data services too
    >(not "legally" though).

    Not savvy at all. I'm even afraid to try and download a new ringer.
    I'm going to cancel the Vision in a month...I'm working on getting the
    camera to work this morning..

    Thank you for your answers

    nicki
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    do different..

    > There's two types of voice recognition: one that's phone based, and one
    > that's a network-based add-on. There difference is that the network
    > version (the one you pay $5 a month for) is more sophisitcated, allows
    > you to hold many more contacts, can be updated over the web, will follow
    > you to a new phone when you upgrade or change handsets, AND it is not
    > tied to a single person's voice (i.e., anyone who can speak can use
    > voice dial on your phone).

    The 7400 has two types of voice dialing built into the phone. One is a
    generic program that will try to recognize anyones voice, but is prone to
    errors in recognition, and will expect pronounciation based on the spelling
    of the name, which might not be accurate. The "contact" command can be
    followed by the name you want to dial, which makes this a slightly faster
    type of voice dialing than the other type in the phone. Using the "contact"
    command while driving can be both amusing and frustrating:
    "did you say bob?" "no"
    "did you say rob?" "no"
    "did you say mom?" "no, damn't, I wanted Todd"
    "did you say bob?" " &*%$*"

    The second type of voice dial uses the "call voice tag" command. Voice tags
    (names) must be pre-recorded and are more accurate IMO. The disadvantage, as
    mentioned, is that after saying "call voice tag" the the phone says "say
    name" , then you say the name, which can add a step.

    Since you asked about learning some features, here are some that you might
    overlook:
    1. the camera has a camcorder function
    2. the flash for the camera can double as a flashlight, just in case you
    have to open a padlock at midnight.
    3 pushing the talk button twice quickly will redial the last # you dialed.
    4. There is a call screening feature, so you can listen in to someone who is
    leaving a message on your voicemail, and then cut in to talk to them if its
    important.
    5. Three way calls work great. Everyone can hear loudly. I just want to
    figure out how to access the phone book while I'm talking to the first
    party.
    6. If you hear a beep while you are talking, it might be a call-waiting
    call incoming.
    7. If someone wants to give you a number while you are driving, you can
    record 18 seconds of their conversation for later use. I wish they would
    allocate more memory to this feature. 18 seconds isn't enough time to get
    directions, explanations, or a follow up question answered. Sure, you can
    record another memo, but the total is only 72 seconds. How much memory does
    a voice memo take, compared to a picture?
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 04:13:18 GMT, "Floyd in Tampa"
    <Flooydomit@prodigy.net> wrote:

    > do different..
    >>
    >> There's two types of voice recognition: one that's phone based, and one
    >> that's a network-based add-on. There difference is that the network
    >> version (the one you pay $5 a month for) is more sophisitcated, allows
    >> you to hold many more contacts, can be updated over the web, will follow
    >> you to a new phone when you upgrade or change handsets, AND it is not
    >> tied to a single person's voice (i.e., anyone who can speak can use
    >> voice dial on your phone).
    >>
    >The 7400 has two types of voice dialing built into the phone. One is a
    >generic program that will try to recognize anyones voice, but is prone to
    >errors in recognition, and will expect pronounciation based on the spelling
    >of the name, which might not be accurate. The "contact" command can be
    >followed by the name you want to dial, which makes this a slightly faster
    >type of voice dialing than the other type in the phone. Using the "contact"
    >command while driving can be both amusing and frustrating:
    >"did you say bob?" "no"
    >"did you say rob?" "no"
    >"did you say mom?" "no, damn't, I wanted Todd"
    >"did you say bob?" " &*%$*"
    >
    >The second type of voice dial uses the "call voice tag" command. Voice tags
    >(names) must be pre-recorded and are more accurate IMO. The disadvantage, as
    >mentioned, is that after saying "call voice tag" the the phone says "say
    >name" , then you say the name, which can add a step.
    >
    >Since you asked about learning some features, here are some that you might
    >overlook:
    >1. the camera has a camcorder function
    >2. the flash for the camera can double as a flashlight, just in case you
    >have to open a padlock at midnight.
    >3 pushing the talk button twice quickly will redial the last # you dialed.
    >4. There is a call screening feature, so you can listen in to someone who is
    >leaving a message on your voicemail, and then cut in to talk to them if its
    >important.
    >5. Three way calls work great. Everyone can hear loudly. I just want to
    >figure out how to access the phone book while I'm talking to the first
    >party.
    >6. If you hear a beep while you are talking, it might be a call-waiting
    >call incoming.
    >7. If someone wants to give you a number while you are driving, you can
    >record 18 seconds of their conversation for later use. I wish they would
    >allocate more memory to this feature. 18 seconds isn't enough time to get
    >directions, explanations, or a follow up question answered. Sure, you can
    >record another memo, but the total is only 72 seconds. How much memory does
    >a voice memo take, compared to a picture?

    I really am happy to have all of these feature hints..the features are
    over whelming and so is the manual

    nicki

Sprint PCS Sanyo Voice Recognition Internet Service Providers