ATTENTION: What are they thinking??

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
February 15, 2005 9:37:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,tx.forsale,dfw.forsale,austin.forsale (More info?)

Thought I'd pass this along ...

> Google.com has implemented a new feature wherein you can type
someone's
> telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and then you will
be
> given a map to their house.
>
> Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. Before
> forwarding this, I tested it by typing my telephone number in
> google.com. My address came up, and when I clicked on the MapQuest
link,
> it actually mapped out where I live. Quite scary. Please look up your
> home number. Read below for details.
>
> Think about it--if a child, ANYONE gives out his/her phone number,
> someone can actually now look it up to find out where he/she lives.
>
> Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e.555-555-1212) and hit
> enter.
>
> If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information,
> simply click on phonebook results link above your phone number and
> scroll down. I removed my name, but it takes 48-hours.
>
> If you are unlisted in the phone book, you might not be in there, but
it
> is a good idea just to check.
>
> You might want to pass this on to friends and family.

More about : attention thinking

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 11:55:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,tx.forsale,dfw.forsale,austin.forsale (More info?)

Reverse lookup with maps has been around for years....

"Robert" <prejazz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thought I'd pass this along ...
>>
>> Google.com has implemented a new feature wherein you can type
> someone's
>> telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and then you will
> be
>> given a map to their house.
>>
>> Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. Before
>> forwarding this, I tested it by typing my telephone number in
>> google.com. My address came up, and when I clicked on the MapQuest
> link,
>> it actually mapped out where I live. Quite scary. Please look up your
>> home number. Read below for details.
>>
>> Think about it--if a child, ANYONE gives out his/her phone number,
>> someone can actually now look it up to find out where he/she lives.
>>
>> Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e.555-555-1212) and hit
>> enter.
>>
>> If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information,
>> simply click on phonebook results link above your phone number and
>> scroll down. I removed my name, but it takes 48-hours.
>>
>> If you are unlisted in the phone book, you might not be in there, but
> it
>> is a good idea just to check.
>>
>> You might want to pass this on to friends and family.

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 12:10:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,tx.forsale,dfw.forsale,austin.forsale (More info?)

Robert <prejazz@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thought I'd pass this along ...

Don't. Google has been offering the feature for ages. It only works on
listed numbers and thus you could do it yourself with a call to number
Information (555-1212) and a map. And besides, what are you selling here?

FS: My opinion $0.02.

--
Mike B
February 15, 2005 12:32:34 PM

Robert wrote:
> Thought I'd pass this along ...
>
>>Google.com has implemented a new feature wherein you can type
>
> someone's
>
>>telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and then you will
>
> be
>
>>given a map to their house.
>>
>>Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. Before
>>forwarding this, I tested it by typing my telephone number in
>>google.com. My address came up, and when I clicked on the MapQuest
>
> link,
>
>>it actually mapped out where I live. Quite scary. Please look up your
>>home number. Read below for details.
>>
>>Think about it--if a child, ANYONE gives out his/her phone number,
>>someone can actually now look it up to find out where he/she lives.
>>
>>Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e.555-555-1212) and hit
>>enter.
>>
>>If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information,
>>simply click on phonebook results link above your phone number and
>>scroll down. I removed my name, but it takes 48-hours.
>>
>>If you are unlisted in the phone book, you might not be in there, but
>
> it
>
>>is a good idea just to check.
>>
>>You might want to pass this on to friends and family.

WOW! Late breaking news that's only several years old.
News film at 11:00.

Compaq pent III 500 mz $200.00
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 1:25:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,tx.forsale,dfw.forsale,austin.forsale (More info?)

So basically, what your saying, is that google has maliciously cross
referenced the public phone books listed address's in order to automatically
fill out the address field in their map search so that you can do in a few
clicks, what normally took several page turns from several reference
materials to accomplish?

Yet another attack on our 1st amendment right to ignorant
bliss....................................

Get a clue............................

"Robert" <prejazz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thought I'd pass this along ...
>>
>> Google.com has implemented a new feature wherein you can type
> someone's
>> telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and then you will
> be
>> given a map to their house.
>>
>> Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. Before
>> forwarding this, I tested it by typing my telephone number in
>> google.com. My address came up, and when I clicked on the MapQuest
> link,
>> it actually mapped out where I live. Quite scary. Please look up your
>> home number. Read below for details.
>>
>> Think about it--if a child, ANYONE gives out his/her phone number,
>> someone can actually now look it up to find out where he/she lives.
>>
>> Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e.555-555-1212) and hit
>> enter.
>>
>> If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information,
>> simply click on phonebook results link above your phone number and
>> scroll down. I removed my name, but it takes 48-hours.
>>
>> If you are unlisted in the phone book, you might not be in there, but
> it
>> is a good idea just to check.
>>
>> You might want to pass this on to friends and family.

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 1:40:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,tx.forsale,dfw.forsale,austin.forsale (More info?)

"Get a clue"

Get a new cliche.

F.S. one cliche, older than googles telephone mapping algorithm, hell,
older than dirt itself. $10.00
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 3:32:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,tx.forsale,dfw.forsale,austin.forsale (More info?)

The authority on information you seek would be your 13 yo. Of course
if you wanna impress her, don't ask her first, find one of her friends
and pay her off not to tell. Who is Hilllary Duff anyway.

F.S. Incomplete knowledge of current pop culture due to checking out
of after the Dukes of Hazard was cancelled from network television.
However extensive knowledge of NFL football still maintained. Only 50
duckies.
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 4:05:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,tx.forsale (More info?)

Mapanarii wrote:

> "Robert" <prejazz@hotmail.com> wrotenews:1108478275.891792.220070
> @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Thought I'd pass this along ...
> >>
> >> Google.com has implemented a new feature wherein you can type
> > someone's
> >> telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and then you will
> > be
> >> given a map to their house.
> >>
> >> Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. Before
> >> forwarding this, I tested it by typing my telephone number in
> >> google.com. My address came up, and when I clicked on the MapQuest
> > link,
> >> it actually mapped out where I live. Quite scary. Please look up your
> >> home number. Read below for details.
> >>
> >> Think about it--if a child, ANYONE gives out his/her phone number,
> >> someone can actually now look it up to find out where he/she lives.
> >>
> >> Type your phone number in the search bar (i.e.555-555-1212) and hit
> >> enter.
> >>
> >> If you want to BLOCK Google from divulging your private information,
> >> simply click on phonebook results link above your phone number and
> >> scroll down. I removed my name, but it takes 48-hours.
> >>
> >> If you are unlisted in the phone book, you might not be in there, but
> > it
> >> is a good idea just to check.
> >>
> >> You might want to pass this on to friends and family.
> >

> Do you know there are still morons around who write their ss numbers, have
> their home address, home phone and DL numbers on their checks??????
>
> Some illegal alien on probation for rape is working the cash register and
> you're going to GIVE him all that info?
> Or the women who makes copies of those checks and takes them home for her
> ex-con hubby for id theft?

SS#s, I'll agree with... There's never a need to put it on a check.

But, a large number of sellers *require* phone numbers or drivers
license numbers... Whether they're printed on the check, or written
by hand, they're still available to those same people you're afraid
of.

Notan
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 5:07:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,tx.forsale,dfw.forsale,austin.forsale (More info?)

Of course your right... Because nothing is more impressive than a 39
year old white male attempting to sound like a "Yo MTV Raps"
reject.......................

Please, enlighten me!!! What is the latest Hilary Duff wannabe cliché? I'd
love to impress my 13 year old with my inept understanding of teenage psycho
babble.............

"Doggus" <D0ggus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Get a clue"
>
> Get a new cliche.
>
> F.S. one cliche, older than googles telephone mapping algorithm, hell,
> older than dirt itself. $10.00

February 15, 2005 5:38:56 PM

Robert wrote:
> Thought I'd pass this along ...

Next time, don't.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 8:20:46 AM

"Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message news:42125617.A6AD7261@ddress.com...
> But, a large number of sellers *require* phone numbers or drivers
> license numbers... Whether they're printed on the check, or written
> by hand, they're still available to those same people you're afraid
> of.

There are still people who pay for retail purchases by check?
How quaint. I haven't carried a checkbook for about 10 years now.
Don't you hate being in a checkout line behind someone who
doesn't even begin to fill out their check until all the purchases
are tallied up? Considerate people who insist on using a check
should fill out everything but the amount by the time they get
to the cashier. Unfortunately, most check writers are not
considerate of their fellow human beings or else they'd use a
credit card.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

John Richards wrote:

> to the cashier. Unfortunately, most check writers are not considerate of
> their fellow human beings or else they'd use a
> credit card.

Well, that's... unrealistic.

Not everyone qualifies for or wants to pay the interest on a credit card. And
at least at the grocery store, where I still see a decent number of people
paying with checks, the process has been speeded up to the point that it's not
a big deal.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 8:20:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,tx.forsale (More info?)

They could pay with ATM cards rather than checks. I do not understand why
they do not use ATM cards.

> John Richards wrote:
>
>> to the cashier. Unfortunately, most check writers are not considerate of
>> their fellow human beings or else they'd use a
>> credit card.
>
> Well, that's... unrealistic.
>
> Not everyone qualifies for or wants to pay the interest on a credit card.
> And at least at the grocery store, where I still see a decent number of
> people paying with checks, the process has been speeded up to the point
> that it's not a big deal.
>

> --
> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
>
> "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
> Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
> amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 8:45:18 AM

"Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
> Not everyone qualifies for or wants to pay the interest on a credit
card.

Steve, I'm suprised to hear you say that, as sharp as you usually are. ;)
We're talking about ATM cards here, not unsecured credit cards. No one
who has a checking account is denied an ATM card if they ask (at least
I've never heard of anyone being denied, nor would I understand why anyone
would be denied one) so it would stand to reason that everyone should keep
their damn checkbooks at home and embrace the 20th century and use their
ATM cards.

> And at least at the grocery store, where I still see a decent number of
people
> paying with checks, the process has been speeded up to the point that
it's not
> a big deal.

Now, some people just CAN'T understand how to use a checking account
without having the checkbook (specifically, the ledger part) in front of
them for EVERY transaction (I know a guy like this) and that's STILL not a
problem. You just bring the ledger with you and keep the damn checks at
home. Easy!

It isn't difficult unless one wishes to make it difficult for oneself.

> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET
(4638)
> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
> "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
> Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
> amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)

Kevin M.
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:32:58 PM

Yes, the first time someone writes a check on one of our stores, we
have to write their DL# on the check and enter it into our computer.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:36:02 PM

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
> They could pay with ATM cards rather than checks. I do not understand why
> they do not use ATM cards.

Best go back and read the fine print on your debit card. On the first one a
bank sent me, it's clearly stated that you have two days to report it or ALL
the money drained out of your account is your responsibility.

As for credit cards, few merchants have upgraded to the devices that print
only the last four digits of your credit card number. That leaves a copy for
clerks that may have been screened for drugs but not for other things that
would constitute 'violation of their rights'. In a department store I most
frequently visit, the keypad for pins can be read from ten feet away in a
180 degree circle. That's not secure.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:41:42 PM

I take many checks a day, and I am only one of the cashiers. Almost
all are not begun to be filled out in advance. I pay extra
attention/scrutiny if I notice a check is filled out in advance,
especially if it is signed in advance.
I do take more credit/debit card sales than paper checks and we now
have Pay By Touch which can be credit, debit, or express checking.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:45:05 PM

I am under the impression that it is much safer not to pre endorse
checks in case they are lost or stolen.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:45:06 PM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:

> I am under the impression that it is much safer not to pre endorse
> checks in case they are lost or stolen.

I'm not suggesting that they be endorsed *too* early, but how
'bout before leaving home/work, on the way to the bank?

The other killer is the people, who, undoubtedly aren't very
good at math, having to balance their checkbooks while in line! <g>

Notan
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 7:58:20 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> They could pay with ATM cards rather than checks. I do not understand why
> they do not use ATM cards.

I do. ATM card fees are outrageous.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 8:01:30 PM

Kevin M. wrote:
> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
>
>>Not everyone qualifies for or wants to pay the interest on a credit
>
> card.
>
> Steve, I'm suprised to hear you say that, as sharp as you usually are. ;)
> We're talking about ATM cards here, not unsecured credit cards.

Then the proper term is "debit cards" - the person to whom I was replying said
"credit cards."

And the fees for using ATM cards can be very high, even on POS purchases (as
opposed to ATM withdrawals at a bank that isn't yours). Depends on the bank and
the merchant. We have a Bank of America CampusEdge Checking account because my
wife was in the process of getting her bachelor's degree when it was opened.
Was free back then. Is still free because now we're doing direct deposit.
However, merchant fees vary widely from free to over a dollar per transaction...

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 8:40:03 PM

"Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:cuupg8$bsh$2@ratbert.glorb.com...
> John Richards wrote:
>
>> to the cashier. Unfortunately, most check writers are not considerate of
>> their fellow human beings or else they'd use a
>> credit card.
>
> Well, that's... unrealistic.
>
> Not everyone qualifies for or wants to pay the interest on a credit card. And

I've never paid a penny in credit card finance charges since I always pay
the monthly balance in full. If one is used to 'pay as you go' (checks or debit
card), it should not be a hardship to pay up once a month.

> at least at the grocery store, where I still see a decent number of people
> paying with checks, the process has been speeded up to the point that it's not
> a big deal.

The grocery store checkout line is the most common place where I wait and
fume as check writers slowly begin to write out all the check info AFTER the
purchases have been tallied.
I like the new credit card readers they have at modern checkouts,
where you can swipe and sign right on the screen as the purchases are
being entered by the cashier -- a real time saver.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

John Richards wrote:

> I've never paid a penny in credit card finance charges since I always pay
> the monthly balance in full.

You obviously have credit cards that have grace periods. Not all cards do. Some
charge interest the day after you make the purchase.

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 8:51:30 PM

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:uQIQd.1613$kU3.156@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Yes, the first time someone writes a check on one of our stores, we
> have to write their DL# on the check and enter it into our computer.

Many merchants also want a home telephone number and address, if
it's not already preprinted on the check. If I was a merchant, I'd insist
on that type of ID because without it, they'd get burned with many bad
checks.

From a consumer privacy standpoint, I'd rather have the merchant get
my credit card number or ATM/debit card number. If any fraud is
committed with that information, the bank guarantees to cover me.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:R%IQd.1619$kU3.284@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> I am under the impression that it is much safer not to pre endorse
> checks in case they are lost or stolen.

Agreed, but endorsing just before you get to the cashier should be safe.
Usually there is a wait at the checkout line anyway.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:02:52 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
>John Richards wrote:

>> I've never paid a penny in credit card finance charges since I always pay
>> the monthly balance in full.

>You obviously have credit cards that have grace periods. Not all cards do. Some
>charge interest the day after you make the purchase.

Can you name a single example?
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 10:13:31 PM

TCS wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 17:02:52 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
> >John Richards wrote:
>
> >> I've never paid a penny in credit card finance charges since I always pay
> >> the monthly balance in full.
>
> >You obviously have credit cards that have grace periods. Not all cards do. Some
> >charge interest the day after you make the purchase.
>
> Can you name a single example?

The only time I've ever heard of such a thing is for a "cash advance."

Notan
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 10:13:31 PM

TCS wrote:

>>>I've never paid a penny in credit card finance charges since I always pay
>>>the monthly balance in full.
>
>>You obviously have credit cards that have grace periods. Not all cards do. Some
>>charge interest the day after you make the purchase.
>
> Can you name a single example?

The one I've been carrying. :)

Granted, my credit isn't wonderful. (Actually, it's pretty bad.) So the APR
isn't exactly low either.

But not everyone has FICO scores of 650 or 700. There are plenty of other
people in my shoes. (Damn, it's getting crowded in there.)

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:04:10 AM

"Thurman" <thurman@bigplanet.com> wrote in message news:leOQd.10143$fc2.9690@fe03.lga...

> As for credit cards, few merchants have upgraded to the devices that print
> only the last four digits of your credit card number. That leaves a copy for
> clerks that may have been screened for drugs but not for other things

I don't know what mom 'n pop stores you frequent, but probably 100%
of the major stores and 95% of smaller merchants that I use print only
the last 4 digits. In the past 35 years of credit card use, I experienced
only two cases of that type of fraud. Both happened on out-of-town trips,
and both were quickly resolved by the card issuer. The credit card also
gets me a 5% rebate on purchases at gas stations, drug stores and
grocery stores, and a 1% rebate on everything else. It certainly beats
carrying a lot of cash or messing with checks.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

"Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JvstThe.net> wrote in message

> >>Yov obviovsly have credit cards that have grace periods. Not all cards
do. Some
> >>charge interest the day after yov make the pvrchase.
> >
> > Can yov name a single example?
>
> The one I've been carrying. :)
>
> Granted, my credit isn't wonderfvl. (Actvally, it's pretty bad.) So the
APR
> isn't exactly low either.
>
> Bvt not everyone has FICO scores of 650 or 700. There are plenty of other
> people in my shoes. (Damn, it's getting crowded in there.)

Yov're still in the wrong portfolio. Plenty of CC prodvcts ovt there that
aren't svcking people dry. What FI is yovr card throvgh? Try yovr local
Credit Union. If yov can get qvalified for membership try a CU inside the
state of Texas. Interest rates over 18% are considered vsvry and being a CU
they are often more forgiving of credit issves. I walked a credit
challenged friend of mine throvgh the process and into a $500 (yea, small,
bvt a start) vnsecvred card with Cap1. Standard 25 day grace period and (I
think) a fixed 15.9% APR. Not bad actvally for a <600 beacon. I tried to
point her to her credit vnion bvt she has a vehicle there and she's worried
abovt them cross collateralizing her debt if she gets into trovble.

BTW a FICO of 650 is OK, bvt nothing to get too excited abovt. Above 680
things start getting better, 750+ and companies start fighting over yov.
800+ and yov write yovr own ticket, especially if yov have decent D/I
nvmbers..
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 1:57:36 PM

That is why when I use my visa check card, I pick credit instead of
debit. No one sees my pin and I don't get hit with fees.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 2:03:54 PM

We don't need the phone number, but the address on the check and DL
better match.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 5:28:38 AM

I like to watch the people with checking accounts enter the amount and
payee in their ledger.

I just keep a lot of money in my checking account and check my balance
when the statement comes.

CC's get paid in full when statements come.

I've got plenty of money and plan to get more.

Budgets are for poor people.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 11:29:59 AM

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:28:38 -0600, Kelo Graham <since1955@aol.com> wrote:
>I like to watch the people with checking accounts enter the amount and
>payee in their ledger.

>I just keep a lot of money in my checking account and check my balance
>when the statement comes.

>CC's get paid in full when statements come.

>I've got plenty of money and plan to get more.

>Budgets are for poor people.

You're confusing reconciling an account with budgeting. If you don't live
on a budget, you'll be poor pretty soon. If you're not poor, then you're
living on a budget whether you know it or not.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 8:57:27 PM

"John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote in message
> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>> John Richards wrote:
>>
>>> to the cashier. Unfortunately, most check writers are not considerate of
>>> their fellow human beings or else they'd use a
>>> credit card.
>>
>> Well, that's... unrealistic.
>>
>> Not everyone qualifies for or wants to pay the interest on a credit card.
>> And
>
> I've never paid a penny in credit card finance charges since I always pay
> the monthly balance in full. If one is used to 'pay as you go' (checks or
> debit
> card), it should not be a hardship to pay up once a month.
>
>> at least at the grocery store, where I still see a decent number of
>> people paying with checks, the process has been speeded up to the point
>> that it's not a big deal.
>
> The grocery store checkout line is the most common place where I wait and
> fume as check writers slowly begin to write out all the check info AFTER
> the
> purchases have been tallied.

I got so ticked one time--while on an "express" line--when someone waited
till they were fully rung up to *begin* getting out the checkbook that I
just went ahead and told the cashier I'd pay the measly $3.42 (not kidding).
God forbid they observe the "No Checks" sign (for the express line).

But ATM users aren't all brain surgeons either. My peeve on that one are
against the inconsiderate slobs who pull up to the ATM--without pulling all
the way up. They sit there, oblivious to the cars piling up behind them, and
proceed to treat their car like a mobile office--they do everything *except*
prepare the actual deposit (which they don't begin to do until they actually
fully pull up to the ATM). God forbid they get their act together *before*
going to the ATM in the first place. My guess is that they were expecting to
wait in line, and would use that delay to do their paperwork. Since there
was no line the most logical choice (to them) is to begin one by taking 15
minutes to complete a 30-second transaction.

I feel better now.

--
Mike
Anonymous

PHILLIP COYLE wrote:

> About the woman that paid with pennies and nickels. Have you ever stopped to
> think that she had dug down to her last money for what ever she had gotten.
> Not everyone has more money then they need when they want something. Just
> try living on S.S. disaiblty and you will find out what it means to be down
> to your last pennies by the second week of the month. I could say a lot mory
> but I get so upset with people that can work and still complain about others
> instead of stopping to think why did they do something like this. So you got
> ticked off and slowed down, well tuff s##t

It had nothing to do with small change being the only thing she had.

In order to get to the small change, she first had to remove the wad
of bills from her purse.

The "Express Lane" is for people who just need to "get in and get out."

Don't like my answer? "well tuff s##t"

Notan
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 5:32:32 AM

"Michael Lynch" <mlynch@nospamhere.ctaz.com> wrote in message news:b6LRd.8208$6p7.5698@news01.roc.ny...
> But ATM users aren't all brain surgeons either. My peeve on that one are
> against the inconsiderate slobs who pull up to the ATM--without pulling all
> the way up. They sit there, oblivious to the cars piling up behind them, and
> proceed to treat their car like a mobile office--they do everything *except*
> prepare the actual deposit (which they don't begin to do until they actually
> fully pull up to the ATM). God forbid they get their act together *before*
> going to the ATM in the first place. My guess is that they were expecting to
> wait in line, and would use that delay to do their paperwork. Since there
> was no line the most logical choice (to them) is to begin one by taking 15
> minutes to complete a 30-second transaction.

I avoid having to use an ATM by:
a) having my paycheck direct deposited
b) not needing much cash since I pay for everything by CC
c) once a week I get cash by using a debit card at the grocery store
for $50 over the amount of purchase. Grocery stores don't charge debit
card fees, unlike the local Arco gas stations which I won't patronize
for that reason.

--
John Richards
February 20, 2005 5:32:33 AM

John Richards wrote:
> "Michael Lynch" <mlynch@nospamhere.ctaz.com> wrote in message
>> But ATM users aren't all brain surgeons either. My peeve on that one
>> are against the inconsiderate slobs who pull up to the ATM--without
>> pulling all the way up. They sit there, oblivious to the cars piling
>> up behind
>> them, and proceed to treat their car like a mobile office--they do
>> everything
>> *except* prepare the actual deposit (which they don't begin to do
>> until they
>> actually fully pull up to the ATM). God forbid they get their act
>> together
>> *before* going to the ATM in the first place. My guess is that they
>> were
>> expecting to wait in line, and would use that delay to do their
>> paperwork. Since
>> there was no line the most logical choice (to them) is to begin one
>> by
>> taking 15 minutes to complete a 30-second transaction.
>
> I avoid having to use an ATM by:
> a) having my paycheck direct deposited

I don't have to deposit paychecks, but do get the occasional rebate
check, gift check, etc. and if it's after-hours I'll use the ATM lane to
make the deposit. Even so, I always grab a spare deposit envelope so
that I can have it prepared before driving up to the ATM, on the next
trip.

> b) not needing much cash since I pay for everything by CC
> c) once a week I get cash by using a debit card at the grocery store
> for $50 over the amount of purchase.

I prefer to not mix a purchase and a withdrawal into one transaction,
regardless of how many places offer that option. When I see "Safeway
$142.18" I know for sure it was groceries.

> Grocery stores don't charge debit
> card fees, unlike the local Arco gas stations which I won't patronize
> for that reason.

Well, at least you can pay at the pump with cash. And their gas prices
are pretty cheap. Although I don't usually fill up there due to the
debit-card-only (with a fee) policy, I would use cash more often if the
machines were able to give change (I see no point in paying with cash at
the pump--at least for a fill-up--if you must then go inside to get
change).

--
Mike
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,tx.forsale (More info?)

Most of the larger grocery stores have machines that will change
coins into larger denominations. Many banks will do this also.
Just because one is poor doesn't give one the right to
inconvenience everyone else waiting in line.

--
John Richards

"PHILLIP COYLE" <phillip.coyle@verizon.net> wrote in message news:J0PRd.44781$Dc.42793@trnddc06...
> About the woman that paid with pennies and nickels. Have you ever stopped to
> think that she had dug down to her last money for what ever she had gotten.
> Not everyone has more money then they need when they want something. Just
> try living on S.S. disaiblty and you will find out what it means to be down
> to your last pennies by the second week of the month. I could say a lot mory
> but I get so upset with people that can work and still complain about others
> instead of stopping to think why did they do something like this. So you got
> ticked off and slowed down, well tuff s##t
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 6:13:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,tx.forsale (More info?)

Can we say "anal"....?

Bill
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 6:13:38 AM

Bill Viverette wrote:

> Can we say "anal"....?

Just out of curiosity, how is that "anal?"

Notan
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 7:19:28 AM

Our grocery store chain does not restrict payment methods for the
express line.
February 20, 2005 7:19:29 AM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> Our grocery store chain does not restrict payment methods for the
> express line.

Well aren't they special. My primary grocery store doesn't have that
problem anymore though: all of the express lanes are self-serve. The
machines have no means to accept checks. The I-live-out-of-my-checkbook
crowd can either join the 21st century or get on a non-express line.

'Course I don't even want to get into what it's like watching people
fail at operating the brain-dead-simple self-serve equipment (the thing
*talks* to you for crying out loud--all ya' have to do is pay
attention).

--
Mike
Anonymous

But they keep some of the money too.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:59:29 PM

Tinman wrote:
> Well, at least you can pay at the pump with cash. And their gas prices
> are pretty cheap. Although I don't usually fill up there due to the
> debit-card-only (with a fee) policy, I would use cash more often if the
> machines were able to give change (I see no point in paying with cash at
> the pump--at least for a fill-up--if you must then go inside to get
> change).

The whole reason (or at least the major reason) Arco gas is as cheap as it is
is because they don't have the expense of accepting credit cards. Debit cards
are cheaper to accept in the first place, and they're offsetting the cost
further by charging the fee. None of the company-owned stores accept credit,
and only a couple of the dealers in this area do.

Personally, I don't mind paying the fee. Valero/Beacon/Ultramar is usually
within a couple cents and they do accept credit, but there are a lot more Arco
stations in this area. But I don't mind paying the fee because the alternative
is patronizing a certain company that can be 15-20 cents per gallon more
expensive... and this is the oil company that reportedly tripled their profits
last year...

"In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 5:08:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,tx.forsale (More info?)

Endlessly analytical, perhaps?

Okay....maybe they are just chatty. And these are, after all, the
alt.ATMchat and ATM.forsale newsgroups, no?

Bill
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 5:08:35 PM

Bill Viverette wrote:

> Endlessly analytical, perhaps?
>
> Okay....maybe they are just chatty. And these are, after all, the
> alt.ATMchat and ATM.forsale newsgroups, no?

It's not at all uncommon to go off on tangents in this,
and many other, newsgroups.

I suspect that this thread will die off, very soon....
Some go on for months!

Notan
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 3:48:16 AM

"Tinman" <mlynch@REMOVEMEcitlink.net> wrote in message news:37r15vF5c7nlrU1@individual.net...
> Jerome Zelinske wrote:
>> Our grocery store chain does not restrict payment methods for the
>> express line.
>
> Well aren't they special. My primary grocery store doesn't have that
> problem anymore though: all of the express lanes are self-serve. The
> machines have no means to accept checks. The I-live-out-of-my-checkbook
> crowd can either join the 21st century or get on a non-express line.
>
> 'Course I don't even want to get into what it's like watching people
> fail at operating the brain-dead-simple self-serve equipment (the thing
> *talks* to you for crying out loud--all ya' have to do is pay
> attention).

Yes, I really like the self-serve checkouts. Not only is there no
waiting for check writers, there also are no chatty cashiers who
want to talk about the weather, their latest medical problems, etc.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

John Richards wrote:
> Most of the larger grocery stores have machines that will change
> coins into larger denominations. Many banks will do this also.
> Just because one is poor doesn't give one the right to inconvenience
> everyone else waiting in line.

Most of those machines charge about 7 cents out of each dollar to do
that.

I agree, it wasn't the most considerate thing for that woman to do
and I'd be annoyed, too. HOWEVER, (a) it doesn't happen every day,
and (b) We don't know anything else about her life or why she's
paying with small change.

--
Steven M - unspam@hal-pc.orgwax.invalid
remove wax and invalid to reply)

"The scientific theory I like best is that the rings of
Saturn are composed entirely of lost airline luggage."
-- Mark Russell
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 10:50:34 PM

"Steven M (remove wax and invalid to reply)" wrote:

> John Richards wrote:
> > Most of the larger grocery stores have machines that will change
> > coins into larger denominations. Many banks will do this also.
> > Just because one is poor doesn't give one the right to inconvenience
> > everyone else waiting in line.
>
> Most of those machines charge about 7 cents out of each dollar to do
> that.
>
> I agree, it wasn't the most considerate thing for that woman to do
> and I'd be annoyed, too. HOWEVER, (a) it doesn't happen every day,
> and (b) We don't know anything else about her life or why she's
> paying with small change.

Point taken.

But there's also the possibility that she wasn't even aware that
anyone else was in the store.

Aaahh, ignorance is bliss! <g>

Notan
!