just installed a new HD and now my CDRW isn't ther

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I just installed a new hard drive as the slave on my second IDE channel. The master was a LG CD-RW CED-8080B and now the CDRW isn't recognized in My Computer. When I go to the Device Mangler it has an error on the CD-RW. The error reads

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)"

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the device, but the error message remains the same. I have searched online and there are some people that say a registry change fixes the problem but I would prefer to not mess with the registry unless someone can tell me that it will fix my problem, hehe.

Thanks.

Oh, and my system is:
PIII - 1GHz 133MHz fsb
LG CD-RW 8080B
primary HD - 40 GB IBM on its own channel
secondary HD - 60 GB Maxtor newly installed and on channel
with CD-RW
256 MB SDRAM
Radeon 7500 PCI
OS - WinXP Home

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a descision for myself.</b>

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Check the jumper pins on the back of the drive, I bet the CDrom unit is set to master and the drive is also set as master or "CS". Set the drive on the end of the IDE ribbon to master and the other to slave with those little jumpers, the drives should have the pin map printed on them.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=326&s=24cd3646ec584db36d180555f4d4e868" target="_new">My PC</A>

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
I have the HD set as slave, I was especially careful when I set it up. Any other idea.

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a descision for myself.</b>

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
Ok, sometimes I have found by physically removing the CDrom drive after shutdown from the IDE ribbon, then re-boot, shutdown, re-connect the CD drive and boot again, also check the bios on bootup to see if it is reconised in there as well.
After trying that you could just try the new HDD on its own which you will be doing with the above anyway and/or placing the CDrom drive on the primary IDE channel as well as swapping the master slave relationship on the secondary channel.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=326&s=24cd3646ec584db36d180555f4d4e868" target="_new">My PC</A>