Sign in with
Your question

Can't open any program from start menu or task bar

Last response: in Windows 7
June 23, 2012 9:43:09 PM

Hello,
I can open any file from my saved files but can't open any program from start menu or taskbar
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
June 23, 2012 10:06:43 PM

Hi :) 

Virus ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
June 24, 2012 12:47:33 AM

You may wish to going back to a previous System Restore point if you have one. It will show the date. It won't remove any documents, but it will programs.

While you may have a virus, my advice is to do this:

1. Use System Restore and restore a point prior to your problem

2. then install and run Malwarebytes free version and Spybot Search and Destroy then scan your system for issues (S&D will find tracking bugs for your browsers which is normal)

3. Re-install any programs which System Restore may have removed if installed after the restore point.

4. If things work, create an IMAGE of your C-drive to a separate hard drive. I recommend Acronis True Image. There is a free version at Seagate and Western Digital if you have one if their drives (can be USB or internal).

Windows 7 has an Image tool but it's not as good. I bought the full version of Acronis TI and have an automated setup now.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
June 24, 2012 12:49:47 AM

FYI, its a good idea to periodically turn System Restore OFF then ON again if things are working. If a Restore point is too old it may be buggy itself if too many things have changed since then. I flush it every few months. This combined with my Acronis backups have led to a period of two years in which I didn't need to reinstall Windows!
m
l
!