How to create a pc wargame

Hi,

Compared to designing a boardgame there is some significant additional
work required to create a computer wargame.

In essence it not only requires that you design a good wargame for
starters but then you have to enforce the rules in a computer program +
create a believable AI opponent. Top it of with computer wargamers not
being impressed with just a single battle but demanding a whole set of
scenarios and you can see why designing a computer wargame is so hard.

Can that workload be lessened somewhat ? Let's summarize the
work-factors :

- Design a game of your own
- Enforce the rules
- AI opponent
- Multitude of scenarios

And let's have a look at the current offerings :

On one end of the spectrum we have Cyberboard - a utility that
basically lets you play existing boardgames as pbem computer games.
There's no rules enforcement or AI opponent and most modules and
scenarios that exist for it have been created by the community. The
Vassal engine used for online ASL play is a modern equivalent of this.
Both are freeware and fine programs to boot, but they don't constitude
what we call a wargame.

On the other end of the spectrum we do have what we call computer
wargames - or better yet : what we demand that computer wargames are :
a good basic game, strict rules enforcement, good AI and a set of
scenarios that will keep us going till doomsday. Name any wargame
released in the past couple of years and it will fall in this category

But what about the middle ground ?

Computer games that dropped the "design a game of your own" requirement
by essentially using an existing boardgame design have been somewhat
less than successfull in the past. Empires in Arms is taking a new shot
at this and might change this commonly held view, so it might just be
that up to now the *wrong* games got selected for total pc conversion
projects. The main problem here is copyright issues so a developer
might be better off to design his own game.
Side note : "what boardgames would be successfull pc games" would be a
fascinating discussion too.

Computer wargames that drop the "AI opponent" requirement are rarities
- Kamikaze wargames comes to mind here - they are excellent designs and
well worth to check out if you're into pbem play but they're single
scenario games so they are lacking a bit in the replayability
department. They were successfull enough to get noticed (and bought) by
Matrixgames at one point in time but seem to have been going
independant again now.

Computer games that drop the "Enforce the rules" requirement are a
non-starter for the simple reason that that is what computer programs
are supposed to do : enforce rules on data.

Computer games that drop the "Multitude of scenarios" requirement would
get creamed commercially

So it sure looks like the only requirement that might get dropped to
lessen the workload is "Design a game of your own" - and even that is
iffy - so are pc wargame designers doomed to this workload for all
eternity ?

Not really. Wargame designers are tackling the "Multitude of scenarios"
requirement from a different angle. The Civil War - Bull Run game was
released with rather a sparse set of scenarios, but was designed from
the ground up to be extremely moddable. It's not even out a month, yet
additional user-created scenarios are to be found everywhere. In
essence the requirement didn't change, but the developer shifted part
of the workload onto the community. What made this possible : the
Internet which allows developers and gamers to work together more
closely.

And this also brings us to another new parameter introduced by the 'Net
: more and more gamers are playing online only - this was first noticed
in FPS and RPG types of games but it's now even invading the wargame
bastion. Playing online essentially means that an AI opponent isn't
needed anymore. Oh, it might come in handy to have a sparring partner
to get to grips with the game mechanics when you first buy the game,
but after the first week it's essentially a part of the software that
isn't used anymore. Before tackling the AI opponent problem, which
basically adds a year to the production time of a game - designers in
the future could have a cold hard look at the necessity of it and drop
it - going for online play or pbem play only.

So what would be my advise/suggestion to budding pc wargame designers ?
Create a game by combining design elements from various other games and
create a pc program that enforces these rules and allows for either
pbem or online play, sugar it with a minimal set of scenarios but make
sure it's moddable and drop the AI opponent. This way that wargame
you've been working on for the last couple of years might finally get
finished.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Gandalf Parker wrote:

> I would add one thing though. The "make sure it's moddable and drop
the
> AI" part. I agree that moddable can do much to increase the life of a
game.
> But as far as the AI... rather than trying to perfect it (and never
making
> the players happy with the results) before dropping it you might
consider
> if its possible to make it moddable also.

Problematic : a moddable AI can only take 2 forms

1) all AI code in scripts which get loaded on game-startup -> this is
fraught with danger as it will make pbem or online play impossible and
isn't any less work for the programmer than creating a closed AI.
Parsing that file and actually making the game logic dynamic is not for
the faint-hearted.

2) the game-parameters in ascii-files - this is how most games go about
it today - problem is that you need an AI then :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

kev9000 wrote:

<some excellent starting points for a manual on wargame design>

You could summarize your laws into 1 grand law on the necessity of a
design document. The functional analysis in programming terms.

A design document focuses the game design and contradictions and
superfluous stuff are more easily detected. Your point about to be
absolutely clear and realistic on the model you want to bring to the pc
is also covered by this, as is sticking to it.

Well, I agree entirely - the "design document" requirement gets added
to the "must have" category :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

I think it's fair to say that some people - and I know a few of them -
have started games which, if they had thought their concepts through,
would have been immediately identifiable as being outside their reach
in terms of time, resources, money, available skills, available tools,
technology. And it has caused some individuals some serious financial
and personal heartache. Things that never saw the light of day. Or
things that should never have seen the light of day, which is worse in
a way because reputations are ruined as well as wallets and dreams.

Also a bad case where they did think it through but feature and idea
creep bloated the project in terms of concept and size. I remember
raising the matter during early beta testing of a project a few years
ago, which had turned from a last pass quality check of a well-run
project into a democratic re-design of the whole thing at the worst
possible time (i.e. very, very late!). The bugs this injected into
what was once a pretty stable piece of code were catatrophic and every
fix created, as it often does, a few new bugs. And of course it was
hard to tell a bug from a new feature or a new slant on a new feature.

I don't want to discourage designers. As a wargamer I want to
encourage them! But people need to be realistic too. Early on.

But that doesn't stop me from dreaming! An odd evening I even crank up
VC++ and tinker around with my little private project that has been my
little hobby for a few years, utterly ignoring the part of my brain
that thinks about the project management of it all ;-)

Kev

"eddysterckx@hotmail.com" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in

> So what would be my advise/suggestion to budding pc wargame designers ?
> Create a game by combining design elements from various other games and
> create a pc program that enforces these rules and allows for either
> pbem or online play, sugar it with a minimal set of scenarios but make
> sure it's moddable and drop the AI opponent. This way that wargame
> you've been working on for the last couple of years might finally get
> finished.

Obviously not the only answer available in the field but I cant really flaw
your model. I happen to like that type of game. My present long LONG lived
favorites which are STILL selling to new converts would 90% fit into your
description.

I would add one thing though. The "make sure it's moddable and drop the
AI" part. I agree that moddable can do much to increase the life of a game.
But as far as the AI... rather than trying to perfect it (and never making
the players happy with the results) before dropping it you might consider
if its possible to make it moddable also.

Gandalf Parker

"eddysterckx@hotmail.com" <eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Top it of with computer
> wargamers not being impressed with just a single battle but
> demanding a whole set of scenarios

Some boardgames, not all, admittedly, also have lots of scenarios,
some in the hundreds. The days of Tactics II are far behind us.

*** rant on ***

This addresses the issue of replayability which is something fairly
intangible. How many A&A players are out there compared with ASL or
Europa? How much time are people willing to invest in learning new
strategies and tactics every day... It takes commitment to the
concept of gaming to be a decent wargamer. That would explain the
popularity of games like Medal of Honor [sic] and the use of
"engines" to create new games where people don't have to learn new
things, just do the same thing with a different view. Driving a jeep
in one of umpteen games is still driving a jeep.

*** rant off ***

All that being said, I am enjoying two and multiplayer board
wargaming more than ever and only interested in a few computer
wargames, Rome: Total War being one...sort of. The problem is
finding a group to play with. Once you have that problem licked, no
need for surrogates.

--

[...] remember when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth

Monty Python's Universe Song

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Kev/Eddy,

I agree on the need for a design doco - Prior Preparation and Planning
Prevents P*ss Poor Performance and all that. :)

However, a decade of designing and coding wargames has tought me that
this business is just like the conflict we try to model in that "no
plans survives contact with the enemy". You have to be flexible. It's
nigh impossible to conceive of every detail in advance, especially if
you are beaking new ground. We designed and implemented no less than
three versions of our command system for HTTR. We started off with what
looked like a great simple system on paper, but we soon realised that
it could not cater for the complexities we needed to model for the AI
to be effective.

So that's why I would advise you double whatever your initial time
estimates are - 30 to 40% just ain't going to be enough. :)

dave@panthergames.com wrote:
> However, a decade of designing and coding wargames has tought me
that
> this business is just like the conflict we try to model in that "no
> plans survives contact with the enemy". You have to be flexible. It's
> nigh impossible to conceive of every detail in advance, especially if
> you are beaking new ground.

Not really wargame specific - when I'm asked to come up with a
cost/timeline for a project I do a very sincere estimate and then
double everything. It's not that the planned stuff will take that much
extra time, it's the things that crop up during the design that do
this. [And triple it when anything Java is involved - whoever thought
Java increased productivity has never worked on a Java project - pet
peeve, my apologies]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

I once knew a software manager who used to do a tarot card reading at
the outset of each project to see what the future held in store for the
exercise. She was incredible, because not only did she successfully
predict that the projects would overrun but that there would be issues
and problems along the way as well :)

Sorry, am going OT.

I often wondered if part of the wargane community/industry could go
open-source... anybody know of any projects along these lines? Are
there enough hobbyist wargame developers out there who know their way
around a compiler and have a little extra time? Is there a GNU-like
library out there with basic code for things like Hex maps, CRTS,
high-level AI?

Kev

Heh as soon as I posted that I knew that's what you'd say! Hey you
guys wouldn't go open source would you? Oh and an SDK. And some
online tutorials ;-)

Kev

> I often wondered if part of the wargane community/industry could go
> open-source... anybody know of any projects along these lines?

Sure,

Advanced Axis & Allies - Java project - http://triplea.sourceforge.net/
is pretty good. - typing in the keyword "wargame" at the sourceforge
site will get you another couple of dozen hits.

Be sure to check out VASSAL as well - a lot of new games are being
developed for that platform (basically multiplayer-only games, no AI)

> Are there enough hobbyist wargame developers out there who know their
way
> around a compiler

A couple I know of in this ng - myself included - it used to be that
every pc-wargamer was a computer nerd but those days are long gone.

> and have a little extra time?

There's your problem :) - I know some people in here are working on
their own project - labour of love stuff - but time is always short and
they often like to work alone on their pet project (which is
understandable)

> Is there a GNU-like library out there with basic code for things like
Hex maps, CRTS,
> high-level AI?

Not really, but there is a lot of code floating around the net which
you then have to "translate" to your particular language/compiler. Or
adapt to your specific needs.

Often you have to look for building blocks instead of complete
solutions - for instance : afaik apart from some libs that claim neural
net capacity there's not really anything out there directly doing
high-level AI out of the box, but the building blocks *are* available :
you can find stuff on pathfinding using the A* algorythm, influence
mapping and scripting all over the web.

It's the same for hex maps : go a level lower and look for a graphical
lib that can easily bitblt polygons and start building your map from
there.

You *can* write everything from scratch - which is what I'm doing with
my pet project - but that is really a bit stupid and not a path I would
advise anyone to take.

I must say that I'm fascinated by all of this - could you elaborate
some more on your ideas ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

kev9000 wrote:
> Heh as soon as I posted that I knew that's what you'd say! Hey you
> guys wouldn't go open source would you? Oh and an SDK. And some
> online tutorials ;-)

Useless - nobody would be able to make sense of Dave's spaghetti-code
:)

To even get it compiled he needs to perform some Voodoo rituals
involving a virgin goat and the blood of a beta-tester. or the other
way around.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx