can I connect Sanyo MM-7400 to my laptop for internet?

I want to use my laptop to connect to an existing dial-up internet
connection, over my new Sanyo MM-7400 cell phone. Is there any way to do
this? What can I buy and what problems might I face?
20 answers Last reply
More about connect sanyo 7400 laptop internet

    "RN" <replyinthegroup@please.com> wrote in message
    > I want to use my laptop to connect to an existing dial-up internet
    > connection, over my new Sanyo MM-7400 cell phone. Is there any way to do
    > this? What can I buy and what problems might I face?

    First thing you need to know is that SPCS does not encourage tethered use to
    cruise the web. In fact, they officially say it's prohibited, or something
    close to that. That doesn't mean you can't do it though. For those of us
    that do it, we do it on occasion and for a limited time, to get email, etc.

    I'd recommend getting Vision on your account if you don't have it already.
    If you don't, it will cost you $0.01/KB for everything you down or upload,
    without Vision on your account.

    Next, you need a USB cable, available @ Radio Shack for appx $20. Then you
    need the phone drivers for your phone. You can get those @
    http://futuredial.com/support/download/USB_Drivers.htm . Once those drivers
    are installed, plug the USB cable into the phone, and then into the laptop.
    Your laptop should recognize new hardware, and you should be able to install
    it with the drivers you've already installed.

    Next, you need to create a new dial up. Leave the user and password fields
    blank, and use #777 as the dial up number. Once that is all done, you should
    be good to go.

    Just keep in mind to keep your usage low when you do this, to keep under
    SPCS's radar. If they do see continuous bandwidth usage coming from your
    phone, they could hit you with on line charges and or cancel the Vision
    option on your account.

    Bob

    Thanks for the helpful reply. But I don't understand the part about
    creating a new dial-up with #777 as the number and no username and password.
    In my case, using a fake example, I would need to dial:

    212-555-1111 (the dial up number to gets me into the company dial-up system)
    user: JohnSmith
    pass: secretpassword

    So where does the #777 and no username/password come in?

    Thanks.

    RN wrote:
    > Thanks for the helpful reply. But I don't understand the part about
    > creating a new dial-up with #777 as the number and no username and password.
    > In my case, using a fake example, I would need to dial:
    >
    > 212-555-1111 (the dial up number to gets me into the company dial-up system)
    > user: JohnSmith
    > pass: secretpassword
    >

    > So where does the #777 and no username/password come in?
    >

    > Thanks.
    >

    > "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>"RN" <replyinthegroup@please.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I want to use my laptop to connect to an existing dial-up internet
    >>>connection, over my new Sanyo MM-7400 cell phone. Is there any way to
    >
    > do
    >
    >>>this? What can I buy and what problems might I face?
    >>
    >>First thing you need to know is that SPCS does not encourage tethered use

    >>cruise the web. In fact, they officially say it's prohibited, or something
    >>close to that. That doesn't mean you can't do it though. For those of us
    >>that do it, we do it on occasion and for a limited time, to get email,
    >
    > etc.
    >
    >>I'd recommend getting Vision on your account if you don't have it already.
    >>If you don't, it will cost you $0.01/KB for everything you down or upload,
    >>without Vision on your account.
    >>
    >>Next, you need a USB cable, available @ Radio Shack for appx $20. Then you
    >>need the phone drivers for your phone. You can get those @
    >>http://futuredial.com/support/download/USB_Drivers.htm . Once those
    >
    > drivers
    >
    >>are installed, plug the USB cable into the phone, and then into the
    >
    > laptop.
    >
    >>Your laptop should recognize new hardware, and you should be able to
    >
    > install
    >
    >>it with the drivers you've already installed.
    >>
    >>Next, you need to create a new dial up. Leave the user and password fields
    >>blank, and use #777 as the dial up number. Once that is all done, you
    >
    > should
    >
    >>be good to go.
    >>
    >>Just keep in mind to keep your usage low when you do this, to keep under
    >>SPCS's radar. If they do see continuous bandwidth usage coming from your
    >>phone, they could hit you with on line charges and or cancel the Vision
    >>option on your account.
    >>
    >>Bob

    You need to creat a dial up networking session in windows with these
    settings. I cannot remember what it looks like anymore from my 5300 but
    I do remember that you needed to enter #777 in the phone number for
    the modem (in this case your 7400) to dial that out to the network. In
    looking at futuredial's website, the MM-7400 is not listed as having the
    dialer software available from them. I think this is because the
    MM-7400 has the modem feature built into the software of the phone. All
    you should need are the USB drivers so your laptop will see the 7400 as
    a modem.

    In your original post, you said you wanted to get on the internet, not to
    call your company dial-up. The #777 is the access number the phone
    recognizes to access the web.

    Most, if not all new phones, can't dial into anything but the web. My 5300
    doesn't have the capability of dialing into my home office's server. I don't
    know whether they have changed the new phones to allow dial up data calls.

    If your company has a web site, and you can sign in from a regular web page,
    then you should have no problems.

    Bob

    > Thanks for the helpful reply. But I don't understand the part about
    > creating a new dial-up with #777 as the number and no username and
    password.
    > In my case, using a fake example, I would need to dial:
    >
    > 212-555-1111 (the dial up number to gets me into the company dial-up
    system)
    > user: JohnSmith
    > pass: secretpassword
    >

    > So where does the #777 and no username/password come in?
    >

    > Thanks.
    >

    > "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "RN" <replyinthegroup@please.com> wrote in message
    > > > I want to use my laptop to connect to an existing dial-up internet
    > > > connection, over my new Sanyo MM-7400 cell phone. Is there any way
    > do
    > > > this? What can I buy and what problems might I face?
    > >
    > > First thing you need to know is that SPCS does not encourage tethered
    use
    > > cruise the web. In fact, they officially say it's prohibited, or
    something
    > > close to that. That doesn't mean you can't do it though. For those of us
    > > that do it, we do it on occasion and for a limited time, to get email,
    > etc.
    > >
    > > I'd recommend getting Vision on your account if you don't have it
    already.
    > > If you don't, it will cost you $0.01/KB for everything you down or
    upload,
    > > without Vision on your account.
    > >
    > > Next, you need a USB cable, available @ Radio Shack for appx $20. Then
    you
    > > need the phone drivers for your phone. You can get those @
    > > http://futuredial.com/support/download/USB_Drivers.htm . Once those
    > drivers
    > > are installed, plug the USB cable into the phone, and then into the
    > laptop.
    > > Your laptop should recognize new hardware, and you should be able to
    > install
    > > it with the drivers you've already installed.
    > >
    > > Next, you need to create a new dial up. Leave the user and password
    fields
    > > blank, and use #777 as the dial up number. Once that is all done, you
    > should
    > > be good to go.
    > >
    > > Just keep in mind to keep your usage low when you do this, to keep under
    > > SPCS's radar. If they do see continuous bandwidth usage coming from your
    > > phone, they could hit you with on line charges and or cancel the Vision
    > > option on your account.
    > >
    > > Bob

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:18:17 GMT, "Bob Smith"
    <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Most, if not all new phones, can't dial into anything but the web. My 5300
    >doesn't have the capability of dialing into my home office's server. I don't
    >know whether they have changed the new phones to allow dial up data calls.

    That surprises me, since you can dial any number with a data card and
    I don't know why/how it would be different with a handset. Wish I
    could do some testing...:-)

    The company's dial-up number I was referring to is an internet access
    dial-up number - like any of the $10 / month dial-up numbers you can use,
    but not a public one.

    So #777 will go through Sprint's Vision service, but I don't have a plan for
    that and I'm not crazy about subscribing or paying 1 penny per kb when I can
    just use the company's dial-up internet number for free. Heck, I'm paying
    Sprint for airtime already so I don't understand why they would disallow it.
    Do you think it will work for me to dial a local data/modem phone number
    like this or do you think the phone or Sprint will disallow anything but
    #777?

    > The company's dial-up number I was referring to is an internet access
    > dial-up number - like any of the $10 / month dial-up numbers you can use,
    > but not a public one.
    >
    > So #777 will go through Sprint's Vision service, but I don't have a plan
    for
    > that and I'm not crazy about subscribing or paying 1 penny per kb when I
    can
    > just use the company's dial-up internet number for free. Heck, I'm
    paying
    > Sprint for airtime already so I don't understand why they would disallow
    it.
    > Do you think it will work for me to dial a local data/modem phone number
    > like this or do you think the phone or Sprint will disallow anything but
    > #777?

    Voice calls are handled differently than data calls. Any data call you make
    will be charged. If you have Vision, you won't be charged any additional
    funds. If you don't, then it's $0.01 per KB. Vision only costs $15 month.

    On pre-Vision phones and plans, i.e. 2G phones, one was able to make data
    calls, with the WW option for $5 a month, where one could use their minutes
    when accessing the web or making a fax call. In saying that, the data speed
    was only 14KB/sec. Vision is much faster.

    What plan are you on now, and what phone do you have?

    Bob

    > "RN" <replyinthegroup@please.com> wrote in message
    > > The company's dial-up number I was referring to is an internet access
    > > dial-up number - like any of the $10 / month dial-up numbers you can
    use,
    > > but not a public one.
    > >
    > > So #777 will go through Sprint's Vision service, but I don't have a plan
    > for
    > > that and I'm not crazy about subscribing or paying 1 penny per kb when I
    > can
    > > just use the company's dial-up internet number for free. Heck, I'm
    > paying
    > > Sprint for airtime already so I don't understand why they would disallow
    > it.
    > > Do you think it will work for me to dial a local data/modem phone number
    > > like this or do you think the phone or Sprint will disallow anything but
    > > #777?
    >
    > Voice calls are handled differently than data calls. Any data call you
    make
    > will be charged. If you have Vision, you won't be charged any additional
    > funds. If you don't, then it's $0.01 per KB. Vision only costs $15 month.
    >
    > On pre-Vision phones and plans, i.e. 2G phones, one was able to make data
    > calls, with the WW option for $5 a month, where one could use their
    minutes
    > when accessing the web or making a fax call. In saying that, the data
    speed
    > was only 14KB/sec. Vision is much faster.
    >
    > What plan are you on now, and what phone do you have?
    >
    > Bob

    But effectively this would be a voice call because it is indeed like dialing
    a fax number. I wouldn't be connecting through Sprint's data service. It
    would be like me telling you to dial some fax number manually and hold it up
    to your fax machine. Unless Sprint monitors the calls listening for data,
    it would be a voice call as I see it.

    I just need the occasional connection. I could use the penny per KB and
    dial 777 but I don't know expensive it will turn out to be.

    I have a simple 300 minute / month plan and the Sanyo MM-7400.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    > "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "RN" <replyinthegroup@please.com> wrote in message
    > > > The company's dial-up number I was referring to is an internet access
    > > > dial-up number - like any of the $10 / month dial-up numbers you can
    > use,
    > > > but not a public one.
    > > >
    > > > So #777 will go through Sprint's Vision service, but I don't have a
    plan
    > > for
    > > > that and I'm not crazy about subscribing or paying 1 penny per kb when
    > > can
    > > > just use the company's dial-up internet number for free. Heck, I'm
    > > paying
    > > > Sprint for airtime already so I don't understand why they would
    disallow
    > > it.
    > > > Do you think it will work for me to dial a local data/modem phone
    number
    > > > like this or do you think the phone or Sprint will disallow anything
    but
    > > > #777?
    > >
    > > Voice calls are handled differently than data calls. Any data call you
    > make
    > > will be charged. If you have Vision, you won't be charged any additional
    > > funds. If you don't, then it's $0.01 per KB. Vision only costs $15
    month.

    > > On pre-Vision phones and plans, i.e. 2G phones, one was able to make
    data
    > > calls, with the WW option for $5 a month, where one could use their
    > minutes
    > > when accessing the web or making a fax call. In saying that, the data
    > speed
    > > was only 14KB/sec. Vision is much faster.
    > >
    > > What plan are you on now, and what phone do you have?
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >

    > But effectively this would be a voice call because it is indeed like
    dialing
    > a fax number. I wouldn't be connecting through Sprint's data service.

    Actually, you would be ... the system knows whether it's a voice or a data
    call. As I said before ...

    > It would be like me telling you to dial some fax number manually and hold
    it up
    > to your fax machine. Unless Sprint monitors the calls listening for data,
    > it would be a voice call as I see it.

    Then you need glasses ... :). One thing I didn't mention previously is that
    with Vision, you aren't using any minutes ... it's a flat monthly fee.

    > I just need the occasional connection. I could use the penny per KB and
    > dial 777 but I don't know expensive it will turn out to be.

    Well, you can monitor that from your account information on
    www.sprintpcs.com . Just keep in mind that if you download more than 1 meg,
    it's going to cost $10 ... and downloading 1 meg is nothing, when dealing
    with all those graphics and formatting on web pages.

    > I have a simple 300 minute / month plan and the Sanyo MM-7400.

    Yea, unless you add the Vision option to your account, you will be spending
    some money then.

    Bob
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Paul Miner" <pminer@elrancho.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:18:17 GMT, "Bob Smith"
    > <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Most, if not all new phones, can't dial into anything but the web. My
    5300
    > >doesn't have the capability of dialing into my home office's server. I
    don't
    > >know whether they have changed the new phones to allow dial up data
    calls.

    > That surprises me, since you can dial any number with a data card and
    > I don't know why/how it would be different with a handset. Wish I
    > could do some testing...:-)

    That's because a data card has different programming ... and is set up with
    it's own plan ... On the data plan, it costs $80/mo. for all you can eat
    internet ... faxing, or calls into a company server.

    Bob
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:17:38 GMT, "Bob Smith"
    <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >"Paul Miner" <pminer@elrancho.invalid> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:18:17 GMT, "Bob Smith"
    >> <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Most, if not all new phones, can't dial into anything but the web. My
    >5300
    >> >doesn't have the capability of dialing into my home office's server. I
    >don't
    >> >know whether they have changed the new phones to allow dial up data
    >calls.
    >>
    >> That surprises me, since you can dial any number with a data card and
    >> I don't know why/how it would be different with a handset. Wish I
    >> could do some testing...:-)
    >
    >That's because a data card has different programming ... and is set up with
    >it's own plan ... On the data plan, it costs $80/mo. for all you can eat
    >internet ... faxing, or calls into a company server.

    I did some digging and it turns out that you're mostly right. :-)
    OTOH, using Sprint's Connection Manager you should be able to dial any
    10-digit number you choose, and you can use either a data card or any
    Vision handset. I know most of the regulars here don't use CM, so
    those folks will be limited to #777 calls.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    The only way is to get a PCS Connection Card and for $40 per Mo. you
    get 20MB. For $80 per Mo. you get 300MB. To either you might want to
    add for $5 per Mo. the Business Connection Personal Edition.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    I thought that for $80 you get unlimited. I had the equivalent service with
    Verizon and it was unlimited. I am considering getting the Sprint data
    service and laptop card.

    -mij

    "Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > The only way is to get a PCS Connection Card and for $40 per Mo. you get
    > 20MB. For $80 per Mo. you get 300MB. To either you might want to add for
    > $5 per Mo. the Business Connection Personal Edition.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
    > I thought that for $80 you get unlimited. I had the equivalent service
    with
    > Verizon and it was unlimited. I am considering getting the Sprint data
    > service and laptop card.
    >
    > -mij

    You can, if you can qualify for a business account -
    http://www.sprint.com/business/products/products/pcsVisionPlan.jsp

    Bob
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:41:12 -0800, "Mij Adyaw"
    >I thought that for $80 you get unlimited. I had the equivalent service with
    >Verizon and it was unlimited. I am considering getting the Sprint data
    >service and laptop card.

    If all you want to do is #777 to access the Internet, before you buy
    the data card, ask Sprint whether you can just add a data plan for
    your MM-7400. When I was working out my retention deal, the customer
    service rep told me (via email) that since 12/20/2004, Sprint has been
    offering data plans to those with Vision phones so they don't have to
    buy data cards. However, I've not seen this advertised anywhere. The
    pricing emailed to me was as follows:
    $40.00/month- 20 MB
    $60.00/month- 40 MB
    $55.00/month- 50 MB
    $80.00/month- 300 MB

    Joe Huber
    huber.joseph@comcast.net
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "RN" <replyinthegroup@please.com> wrote in message
    > I want to use my laptop to connect to an existing dial-up internet
    > connection, over my new Sanyo MM-7400 cell phone. Is there any way to do
    > this? What can I buy and what problems might I face?

    There are, in general, three ways to connect a laptop to the internet using
    a cell phone:

    1. Dial up your dialup provider with the cell phone in analog mode. I used
    to use a special cellular modem card, and this worked with a nokia phone on
    AT&T. It had no end of problems, speeds were typically 9.6 kbps, and it
    was very difficult to find a provider I could dial into and establish a
    connection with. The only thing that worked most of the time with AT&T in
    analog mode was to dial into AT&T's dialup service. Even so, frequent
    disconnects would occur, or the internet connection would simply stop
    responding. You paid normal per minute cell phone usage charges.

    2. Dialup your dialup provider with cell phone in digital mode. I don't
    really understand this technically, but in order to work, your cell phone
    company had to have what was called CSD enabled on their digitial network,
    and you had to use the right phone to work with it. T-mobile used to have
    something like this, and I believe so did Sprint, didn't they call it the
    Wireless Web? But of course they knew when you were using as it was a
    special thing, and I heard the charges were 38 cents a minute Speeds were
    slightly faster, 14.4 was possible. I understand hardly any providers
    offer CSD service any more. Frustrated with poor performance in analog, I
    tried to make CSD work with T-Mobile and just had no ends of problems with
    drivers and gave up on them.

    3. The other way is to establish a direction IP connection (not sure this
    is quite the right term) , which Sprint uses with CDMA technology, other
    providers, like GSM, do with GPRS. Hands down, the CDMA is the best. I
    find the coverage quite good, and the speeds typically 112 kbs, and easy to
    establish a connection. GPRS they say is slower.

    The only thing I really don't like about using the laptop tethered to the
    phone is it feels like Russian Rouletter. Sprint has this you can use it a
    little but not too much policy or else you might get charged a bundle if you
    don't have vision. I could never figure out whether I was a high user or a
    low user, so I bought the modem card on the $80 unlimited a month plan, use
    it to my hearts content, and it has worked extremly well for me, and my
    bill has no surprises.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Frank Thomas wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > The only thing I really don't like about using the laptop tethered to the
    > phone is it feels like Russian Rouletter. Sprint has this you can use it a
    > little but not too much policy or else you might get charged a bundle if you
    > don't have vision. I could never figure out whether I was a high user or a
    > low user, so I bought the modem card on the $80 unlimited a month plan, use
    > it to my hearts content, and it has worked extremly well for me, and my
    > bill has no surprises.

    The "you might get charged a bundle" has nothing to do with having
    Vision, or not.

    It has to do with the fact that it's in direct violation of Sprint's
    TOA:

    "Other Sprint PCS Vision Terms. You will not receive voice calls
    while using Vision. Vision is not available for use with server
    devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive
    continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for
    private lines or frame relay connections. Unlimited Vision plans/
    options may not be used with Sprint PCS phones or smart phones
    being used as a modem in connection with other equipment (e.g.,
    computers, etc.) through use of connection kits or other phone-to
    computer/PDA accessories, or Bluetooth or other wireless technology.
    We may terminate services without notice for any misuse. You may have
    access to certain games, ringers, screen savers and other items on
    our Vision site ("Premium Services") that are available for an
    additional charge. You will be billed for Premium Service purchases
    on your Sprint PCS invoice based on the charges as specified at purchase.
    Subject to the terms of the content purchased, we may delete premium and
    non-premium items downloaded to any storage areas we may provide,
    including any pictures, games and other content. We may limit the amount
    of Premium Services you may purchase in a specific timeframe (month, week,
    day, or other time period)."

    As far as being "a high user or a low user," no one's been able to
    figure out where they stand... This subject been the basis of many
    a thread in this newsgroup.

    Notan
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    The way I read these contract terms, Sprint can terminate you for
    tethering to your computer, but there is nothing here about charging
    you. So the risk is really possible loss of your Sprint account. And
    that obviously costs Sprint as well, so I would guess they will only
    terminate very heavy users.

    If I were charged for modem use under these terms, I would point to the
    contract and refuse to pay.

    In article <4218AC86.DB36EB41@ddress.com>, Notan <notan@ddress.com>
    wrote:

    > Frank Thomas wrote:
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > The only thing I really don't like about using the laptop tethered to the
    > > phone is it feels like Russian Rouletter. Sprint has this you can use it a
    > > little but not too much policy or else you might get charged a bundle if you
    > > don't have vision. I could never figure out whether I was a high user or a
    > > low user, so I bought the modem card on the $80 unlimited a month plan, use
    > > it to my hearts content, and it has worked extremly well for me, and my
    > > bill has no surprises.
    >
    > The "you might get charged a bundle" has nothing to do with having
    > Vision, or not.
    >
    > It has to do with the fact that it's in direct violation of Sprint's
    > TOA:
    >
    > "Other Sprint PCS Vision Terms. You will not receive voice calls
    > while using Vision. Vision is not available for use with server
    > devices or host computer applications, other systems that drive
    > continuous heavy traffic or data sessions, or as substitutes for
    > private lines or frame relay connections. Unlimited Vision plans/
    > options may not be used with Sprint PCS phones or smart phones
    > being used as a modem in connection with other equipment (e.g.,
    > computers, etc.) through use of connection kits or other phone-to
    > computer/PDA accessories, or Bluetooth or other wireless technology.
    > We may terminate services without notice for any misuse. You may have
    > access to certain games, ringers, screen savers and other items on
    > our Vision site ("Premium Services") that are available for an
    > additional charge. You will be billed for Premium Service purchases
    > on your Sprint PCS invoice based on the charges as specified at purchase.
    > Subject to the terms of the content purchased, we may delete premium and
    > non-premium items downloaded to any storage areas we may provide,
    > including any pictures, games and other content. We may limit the amount
    > of Premium Services you may purchase in a specific timeframe (month, week,
    > day, or other time period)."
    >
    > As far as being "a high user or a low user," no one's been able to
    > figure out where they stand... This subject been the basis of many
    > a thread in this newsgroup.
    >
    > Notan
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Ian Lind wrote:

    > The way I read these contract terms, Sprint can terminate you for
    > tethering to your computer, but there is nothing here about charging
    > you. So the risk is really possible loss of your Sprint account. And
    > that obviously costs Sprint as well, so I would guess they will only
    > terminate very heavy users.
    >
    > If I were charged for modem use under these terms, I would point to the
    > contract and refuse to pay.

    And they, in turn, would terminate your account.

    Notan
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    You would point to the contract, which says you can not do what you are
    doing? hihi

Sprint PCS Laptops Connection Sanyo Dial Up Connection Internet Internet Service Providers