Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question on phone use in cold temps

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 12:46:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I have noticed in the past few days that people I call are saying that I'm
breaking up when I call them (or when they call me). I have the Sanyo RL2000
(7200) Is it possible that this is due to the cold temps we're experiencing
in NYC the past few days? It seems only when I'm outside or just come in
from the cold that this happens. If there's something wrong with the phone I
have no problem buying a new one but I just want to know before I do that
this is the case. If so, I'll deal with it for the next few weeks (since
winter is more than half over) until next year.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 12:46:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:46:36 +0000, Scooterflex wrote:

> I have noticed in the past few days that people I call are saying that I'm
> breaking up when I call them (or when they call me). I have the Sanyo RL2000
> (7200) Is it possible that this is due to the cold temps we're experiencing
> in NYC the past few days? It seems only when I'm outside or just come in
> from the cold that this happens. If there's something wrong with the phone I
> have no problem buying a new one but I just want to know before I do that
> this is the case. If so, I'll deal with it for the next few weeks (since
> winter is more than half over) until next year.

Never had a problem with my sanyo 4900 in cold weather, around -8C, other
then the display's response rate dropping dramatically. The phone's
reception and call quality didn't appear to change.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 3:27:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I didn't think it would either but it seems like a big cooincidence that
it's been only happening in the cold or when coming right in from outside.
I've used other devices in the cold and experienced what you have noted but
never the issue I have now with the phone but this is the first time I've
had this phone in weather like this.

"Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.02.19.11.34.33.520657@central.2y.net...
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:46:36 +0000, Scooterflex wrote:
>
> > I have noticed in the past few days that people I call are saying that
I'm
> > breaking up when I call them (or when they call me). I have the Sanyo
RL2000
> > (7200) Is it possible that this is due to the cold temps we're
experiencing
> > in NYC the past few days? It seems only when I'm outside or just come in
> > from the cold that this happens. If there's something wrong with the
phone I
> > have no problem buying a new one but I just want to know before I do
that
> > this is the case. If so, I'll deal with it for the next few weeks (since
> > winter is more than half over) until next year.
>
> Never had a problem with my sanyo 4900 in cold weather, around -8C, other
> then the display's response rate dropping dramatically. The phone's
> reception and call quality didn't appear to change.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 8:57:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Scooterflex" <scootertrasher@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:0WDRd.3098$SY5.258@fe07.usenetserver.com...
> I have noticed in the past few days that people I call are saying that I'm
> breaking up when I call them (or when they call me). I have the Sanyo
RL2000
> (7200) Is it possible that this is due to the cold temps we're
experiencing
> in NYC the past few days? It seems only when I'm outside or just come in
> from the cold that this happens. If there's something wrong with the phone
I
> have no problem buying a new one but I just want to know before I do that
> this is the case. If so, I'll deal with it for the next few weeks (since
> winter is more than half over) until next year.

A couple of things I can think of. First off, your phone might need to get
checked out by a tech at your local SPCS store. Secondly, are you holding
the phone any differently outside, to where your hand is touching the
antenna? If you are, then don't ...

Bob
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 1:16:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:27:58 +0000, Scooterflex wrote:

> I didn't think it would either but it seems like a big cooincidence that
> it's been only happening in the cold or when coming right in from outside.
> I've used other devices in the cold and experienced what you have noted but
> never the issue I have now with the phone but this is the first time I've
> had this phone in weather like this.
>

I would check the battery contacts to make sure they are clean. The phones
today are pretty solid state devices with embedded electronics that should
still operate down to -20c. The only thing that comes to mind is either
that the cold is hurting your battery/power circuits causing the voltage
to drop which can cause a lot of different issues or, and this depends on
how the voice sounds on the other end, the cold is effecting the
microphone's assembly. The main issue is that cell phones these days are
so compact it may not be easy to determine what specifically is causing
the problem. Your best bet would be to grab a cordless phone at your house
then sit outside doing some test calls to see if you can
reproduce/pin-down the problem.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 3:30:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Not holding it dofferently but I was thinking of getting it checked out by
the store. I think that's my next course of action. Thanks

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:y6LRd.1121$Ba3.252@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
> "Scooterflex" <scootertrasher@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:0WDRd.3098$SY5.258@fe07.usenetserver.com...
> > I have noticed in the past few days that people I call are saying that
I'm
> > breaking up when I call them (or when they call me). I have the Sanyo
> RL2000
> > (7200) Is it possible that this is due to the cold temps we're
> experiencing
> > in NYC the past few days? It seems only when I'm outside or just come in
> > from the cold that this happens. If there's something wrong with the
phone
> I
> > have no problem buying a new one but I just want to know before I do
that
> > this is the case. If so, I'll deal with it for the next few weeks (since
> > winter is more than half over) until next year.
>
> A couple of things I can think of. First off, your phone might need to get
> checked out by a tech at your local SPCS store. Secondly, are you holding
> the phone any differently outside, to where your hand is touching the
> antenna? If you are, then don't ...
>
> Bob
>
>
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 6:30:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:46:36 GMT, "Scooterflex"
<scootertrasher@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have noticed in the past few days that people I call are saying that I'm
>breaking up when I call them (or when they call me). I have the Sanyo RL2000
>(7200) Is it possible that this is due to the cold temps we're experiencing
>in NYC the past few days?

I'm in NYC and my wife insists that the battery drains quicker
or fails to work properly on both her phone and her digital camera
when the weather is this cold. Our phones are both Sanyo 4920's btw.

I would tend to agree with the poster who wrote that solid
state technology should not be affected by this cold (which, after
all, isn't as bad as the cold in some parts of the country).

However, solid state circuitry may not have anything to do
with rechargeable battery chemistry, and she may have a point.

I have not heard that I've been breaking up when speaking to
people lately, nor have I had problems when my wife called me from
outside on her 4920.

My first thought, when I read your post, was that it's also
been pretty windy the past few days. That could certainly cause audio
break up. Just a thought.

DGI
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:05:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

I haven't thought of the wind... thanks but on second thought.one time was
when I first came in from outside, the phone and I both were still very cold
and it still was breaking up. I could hear the people on the other end fine
but they couldn't hear me. One person put it where it wasn't so muych
breaking up... more like I was fading in and out.

Thanks for the advice though.... any little bit helps.

"David G. Imber" <imber@maniform.com> wrote in message
news:rhsh115q60vnbl7lpact1mf3ehl40sq6f8@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:46:36 GMT, "Scooterflex"
> <scootertrasher@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I have noticed in the past few days that people I call are saying that
I'm
> >breaking up when I call them (or when they call me). I have the Sanyo
RL2000
> >(7200) Is it possible that this is due to the cold temps we're
experiencing
> >in NYC the past few days?
>
> I'm in NYC and my wife insists that the battery drains quicker
> or fails to work properly on both her phone and her digital camera
> when the weather is this cold. Our phones are both Sanyo 4920's btw.
>
> I would tend to agree with the poster who wrote that solid
> state technology should not be affected by this cold (which, after
> all, isn't as bad as the cold in some parts of the country).
>
> However, solid state circuitry may not have anything to do
> with rechargeable battery chemistry, and she may have a point.
>
> I have not heard that I've been breaking up when speaking to
> people lately, nor have I had problems when my wife called me from
> outside on her 4920.
>
> My first thought, when I read your post, was that it's also
> been pretty windy the past few days. That could certainly cause audio
> break up. Just a thought.
>
> DGI
>
>
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:07:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

The battery contacts look a little dirty/worn but they are too small for me
to get anything in there to clean them.

I'll try your other idea with the cordless outside and do some testing.

Thanks for the advice .... any little bit helps.

"Central" <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.02.20.03.16.24.986335@central.2y.net...
> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:27:58 +0000, Scooterflex wrote:
>
> > I didn't think it would either but it seems like a big cooincidence that
> > it's been only happening in the cold or when coming right in from
outside.
> > I've used other devices in the cold and experienced what you have noted
but
> > never the issue I have now with the phone but this is the first time
I've
> > had this phone in weather like this.
> >
>
> I would check the battery contacts to make sure they are clean. The phones
> today are pretty solid state devices with embedded electronics that should
> still operate down to -20c. The only thing that comes to mind is either
> that the cold is hurting your battery/power circuits causing the voltage
> to drop which can cause a lot of different issues or, and this depends on
> how the voice sounds on the other end, the cold is effecting the
> microphone's assembly. The main issue is that cell phones these days are
> so compact it may not be easy to determine what specifically is causing
> the problem. Your best bet would be to grab a cordless phone at your house
> then sit outside doing some test calls to see if you can
> reproduce/pin-down the problem.
>
!