MN-500 as an access point

Diego

Distinguished
May 28, 2004

I have a USB-DSL modem connected to my desktop, Here I am
sharing my network connection.
I am trying to use the MN-500 as an access point to
connect a wireles laptop through the shared internet
connction.
A ping from the laptop to the MN-500 works fine but a
ping to the desktop does not work.

The question is what do I need to do to make the MN-500
work properly as an access point? Meaning bridging
between the wireless ports and the wired ports within the
device?

Thanks

Diego

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Diego,

There are a couple issues you raise: (1) Access point
(bridging) and (2) Firewall settings for the MN-500.

I included a somewhat lengthy references (below) from the
MN-500 Configuration Guide. Make sure that you had
DISABLED the ping blocking on the MN-500 to the WAN
(i.e., your desktop) and set up the MN-500 properly as a
bridge. THis should do the trick.

Good Luck!

Firewall Settings

The Broadband Networking wireless Base Station provides a
firewall to protect your network against malicious
transmissions. Just as the name implies, a firewall acts
as a barrier or buffer zone between your local network and
the Internet. It checks data packets that are being
transmitted to your network and discards any suspicious
data.
The firewall is enabled by default, but you can choose to
disable it from the Base Station Management Tool. Do not
disable the firewall unless you have a good reason to do
so.
To change the firewall settings
1. Open the Base Station Management Tool, and then click
Security.
2. On the Security menu, click Firewall Settings.
3. Do one of the following:
O To enable the firewall, select the Enable the
integrated firewall check box.
O To disable the firewall, clear the Enable the
integrated firewall check box.
4. To save your changes, click Apply.

Block Ping Commands

You can configure the firewall to discard network ping
commands. A ping command is like a short conversation
between a device on the WAN and your base station. When a
device on the WAN sends a ping command, the base
station responds.

When you block ping commands, you are telling the base
station not to respond to a ping initiated from the WAN.
This security mechanism hides your network from hackers
who might be pinging random IP addresses to see where
they get a response. A response verifies your network
location, and a hacker can then use this information to
send malicious communications to your network.
In general, it is a good idea to discard ping commands
sent from the WAN. The only circumstances in which
blocking ping commands might present a problem are:

To block ping commands
1. Open the Base Station Management Tool, and then click
Security.
2. On the Security menu, click Firewall Settings.
3. Select the Discard pings check box.
4. To save your changes, click Apply.

Network Mode

You have the option to use the base station for routing
services or as a bridge between two networks. The
Broadband Networking Wireless Base Station is set to
routing mode by default.

When you change the base station to bridging mode, you
disable network address translation (NAT), which is an
important feature of your network. When NAT is enabled,
you can use the single IP address supplied by your ISP to
connect multiple computers to the Internet. Ordinarily,
if you wanted to connect multiple computers, you would
need to arrange additional addresses (for example, by
purchasing additional accounts). NAT enables multiple
clients to share a single connection to the Internet.
If you choose to use the base station as a bridge between
two networks or segments of a network, make sure that
another device on your network (such as a base station,
gateway, or router) is providing NAT service. If you do
not have a NAT service on your network, you should lease
an IP address for each computer on your network. Be aware
that each of these IP addresses will be exposed to the
Internet.
To change the base station network mode:

1. Open the Base Station Management Tool, and then click
Security.
2. On the Security menu, click Network Mode.
3. Select the Bridging Mode check box.