MN-500 as an access point

I have a USB-DSL modem connected to my desktop, Here I am
sharing my network connection.
I am trying to use the MN-500 as an access point to
connect a wireles laptop through the shared internet
connction.
A ping from the laptop to the MN-500 works fine but a
ping to the desktop does not work.

The question is what do I need to do to make the MN-500
work properly as an access point? Meaning bridging
between the wireless ports and the wired ports within the
device?

Thanks

Diego
1 answer Last reply
More about access point

    Diego,

    There are a couple issues you raise: (1) Access point
    (bridging) and (2) Firewall settings for the MN-500.

    I included a somewhat lengthy references (below) from the
    MN-500 Configuration Guide. Make sure that you had
    DISABLED the ping blocking on the MN-500 to the WAN
    (i.e., your desktop) and set up the MN-500 properly as a
    bridge. THis should do the trick.

    Good Luck!

    Firewall Settings

    The Broadband Networking wireless Base Station provides a
    firewall to protect your network against malicious
    transmissions. Just as the name implies, a firewall acts
    as a barrier or buffer zone between your local network and
    the Internet. It checks data packets that are being
    transmitted to your network and discards any suspicious
    data.
    The firewall is enabled by default, but you can choose to
    disable it from the Base Station Management Tool. Do not
    disable the firewall unless you have a good reason to do
    so.
    To change the firewall settings
    1. Open the Base Station Management Tool, and then click
    Security.
    2. On the Security menu, click Firewall Settings.
    3. Do one of the following:
    O To enable the firewall, select the Enable the
    integrated firewall check box.
    O To disable the firewall, clear the Enable the
    integrated firewall check box.
    4. To save your changes, click Apply.

    Block Ping Commands

    You can configure the firewall to discard network ping
    commands. A ping command is like a short conversation
    between a device on the WAN and your base station. When a
    device on the WAN sends a ping command, the base
    station responds.

    When you block ping commands, you are telling the base
    station not to respond to a ping initiated from the WAN.
    This security mechanism hides your network from hackers
    who might be pinging random IP addresses to see where
    they get a response. A response verifies your network
    location, and a hacker can then use this information to
    send malicious communications to your network.
    In general, it is a good idea to discard ping commands
    sent from the WAN. The only circumstances in which
    blocking ping commands might present a problem are:

    To block ping commands
    1. Open the Base Station Management Tool, and then click
    Security.
    2. On the Security menu, click Firewall Settings.
    3. Select the Discard pings check box.
    4. To save your changes, click Apply.

    Network Mode

    You have the option to use the base station for routing
    services or as a bridge between two networks. The
    Broadband Networking Wireless Base Station is set to
    routing mode by default.

    When you change the base station to bridging mode, you
    disable network address translation (NAT), which is an
    important feature of your network. When NAT is enabled,
    you can use the single IP address supplied by your ISP to
    connect multiple computers to the Internet. Ordinarily,
    if you wanted to connect multiple computers, you would
    need to arrange additional addresses (for example, by
    purchasing additional accounts). NAT enables multiple
    clients to share a single connection to the Internet.
    If you choose to use the base station as a bridge between
    two networks or segments of a network, make sure that
    another device on your network (such as a base station,
    gateway, or router) is providing NAT service. If you do
    not have a NAT service on your network, you should lease
    an IP address for each computer on your network. Be aware
    that each of these IP addresses will be exposed to the
    Internet.
    To change the base station network mode:

    1. Open the Base Station Management Tool, and then click
    Security.
    2. On the Security menu, click Network Mode.
    3. Select the Bridging Mode check box.
    4. To save your changes, click Apply.

Routers Networking