Found in the Wargamer forum :)

http://www.milweb.net/webverts/17343/

no word yet on the fuel economy :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Peter Fisla wrote:
> so I can't
> use it for drving to work :(

Damn shame, as you can always *make* room to park ...

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Giftzwerg wrote:

> What does UPS charge to freight ~40 tons back to the States?

UPS : It's slightly over 70 Kg so it's 6.47 euro/kg assuming you're
sending it from Brussels to New York.

Roughly 320000$

I think it's cheaper if you use regular mail - but then you run the
risk of it getting lost.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

> --
> Giftzwerg
> ***
> "The Islamists have been clear all along about their plans to form
> an Islamic caliphate and inhabit the entire world with burqas,
> stonings, amputations, honor killings and a lack of religious and
> political freedom. Whether or not to oppose such a movement should
> have been a no-brainer, especially for self-proclaimed
'progressives.'
> Instead, they have extended their misguided sympathies to tyrants
> and terrorists."
> - Cinnamon Stillwell

jp

<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Found in the Wargamer forum :)
>
> http://www.milweb.net/webverts/17343/
>
> no word yet on the fuel economy :)
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

Well, it's kinda/sorta a Tiger................ <g>

Giftzwerg wrote:

> Wasn't there some bloke over in the UK who was driving his surplus
> Scorpion all around as though it were a car?

Maybe you're referring to this :

http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/clarkson_136/02/

Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear) on his wife's new car. And this guy is not
kidding ...

Top Gear is hands down the best comical entertainment show around -
while officially being just another "new cars on the market" program.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

It's not a real Tiger :) Oh and those tank engines don't last long (few thousdand kms) so I can't
use it for drving to work :(

Peter

In article <1109682713.331681.209690@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...

> > What does UPS charge to freight ~40 tons back to the States?
>
> UPS : It's slightly over 70 Kg so it's 6.47 euro/kg assuming you're
> sending it from Brussels to New York.
>
> Roughly 320000$
>
> I think it's cheaper if you use regular mail - but then you run the
> risk of it getting lost.

Looks like any replicas I have will be based around a surplus M551.

--
Giftzwerg
***
"The Islamists have been clear all along about their plans to form
an Islamic caliphate and inhabit the entire world with burqas,
stonings, amputations, honor killings and a lack of religious and
political freedom. Whether or not to oppose such a movement should
have been a no-brainer, especially for self-proclaimed 'progressives.'
Instead, they have extended their misguided sympathies to tyrants
and terrorists."
- Cinnamon Stillwell

In article <Y6adnUYBrrOO9bnfRVn-hQ@rogers.com>, pfisla@rogers.com
says...

> It's not a real Tiger :) Oh and those tank engines don't last long (few thousdand kms) so I can't
> use it for drving to work :(

To the good, though, you'd only have to drive it to work *once* to
cement your reputation as someone-not-to-be-seriously-screwed-with.

--
Giftzwerg
***

In article <1109682447.480722.180900@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,

In article <1109657543.191738.147440@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
eddysterckx@hotmail.com says...
> Hi,
>
> Found in the Wargamer forum :)
>
> http://www.milweb.net/webverts/17343/
>
> no word yet on the fuel economy :)
>
> Greetz,
>
> Eddy Sterckx

I swear. If I had the money to get it, and the place to put it, that
would just be too much fun.
--
Epi

Do you get off on pain? Like to feel it coursing
through your body? Are you a masochist? Do you
like to play with a sore? It's only a matter of
degrees. I guess degrees matter.

In article <MPG.1c8dfd13954cbf29896b3@news.east.earthlink.net>,
epicat1212@hotmail.com says...

> > http://www.milweb.net/webverts/17343/
> >
> > no word yet on the fuel economy :)
> >
> > Greetz,
> >
> > Eddy Sterckx
>
> I swear. If I had the money to get it, and the place to put it, that
> would just be too much fun.

If you're just looking for the ultimate SUV, and uncaring about that
Tiger I cachet, GBP30,000+ sounds like a lot. I'm willing to bet that
there are any number of places around the world where $500 American
dollars placed in some sweaty, trembling palm would buy you a rusty T-55
tank in reasonable running order.

"Giftzwerg" <giftzwerg999@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1c8e40314a20dade98a1df@news-east.giganews.com...
> In article <Y6adnUYBrrOO9bnfRVn-hQ@rogers.com>, pfisla@rogers.com
> says...
>
>> It's not a real Tiger :) Oh and those tank engines don't last long (few thousdand kms) so I can't
>> use it for drving to work :(
>
> To the good, though, you'd only have to drive it to work *once* to
> cement your reputation as someone-not-to-be-seriously-screwed-with.
>

> --
> Giftzwerg
> ***
> "The Islamists have been clear all along about their plans to form
> an Islamic caliphate and inhabit the entire world with burqas,
> stonings, amputations, honor killings and a lack of religious and
> political freedom. Whether or not to oppose such a movement should
> have been a no-brainer, especially for self-proclaimed 'progressives.'
> Instead, they have extended their misguided sympathies to tyrants
> and terrorists."
> - Cinnamon Stillwell

No more bumper to bumper accidents; door scratches; no more people cutting you off on the highway :)
Insurance bill would be pain though...

Peter

> epicat1212@hotmail.com says...
>
>> > http://www.milweb.net/webverts/17343/
>> >
>> > no word yet on the fuel economy :)

That is a pretty impressive replica.

> If you're just looking for the ultimate SUV, and uncaring about that
> Tiger I cachet, GBP30,000+ sounds like a lot. I'm willing to bet that
> there are any number of places around the world where $500 American
> dollars placed in some sweaty, trembling palm would buy you a rusty T-55
> tank in reasonable running order.

Possibly, IIRC the going rate for a T-62 is around 8,000 GBP - various
farmers have discovered it is more lucrative to run 'drive a tank' days
than actually grow anything in their fields.... great fun it is too. 30k is
a fair bit for a mock up, no idea what Bovingdon tank museum are going to
insure their Tiger for now it is fianlly working again - it is one of the
very early models captured in Tunisia.

http://www.tiger-tank.com/

Cheers
Martin

>> Wasn't there some bloke over in the UK who was driving his surplus
>> Scorpion all around as though it were a car?
>
> Maybe you're referring to this :
>
> http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/clarkson_136/02/
>
> Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear) on his wife's new car. And this guy is not
> kidding ...
>
> Top Gear is hands down the best comical entertainment show around -
> while officially being just another "new cars on the market" program.
>
> Greetz,

Clarkson is the most politically incorrect person in the universe, but he's
fun to watch ... It's a guilty pleasure watching "lads havin' a bit of fun
...."

Fun being playing darts with cars in an old quarry or playing conkers with
caravans, or playing hide and seek with a Lotus against an Apache gunship

hermann

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004

> Wasn't there some bloke over in the UK who was driving his surplus
> Scorpion all around as though it were a car?

Wouldn't surprise me the least. IIRC, in UK private owners can drive any
former military vehicle everywhere on public roads, once all armaments have
been removed/disabled.

In article <0wYVd.18855$d5.145230@newsb.telia.net>, hr_hesse@yahoo.com
says...

> > Wasn't there some bloke over in the UK who was driving his surplus
> > Scorpion all around as though it were a car?
>
> Wouldn't surprise me the least. IIRC, in UK private owners can drive any
> former military vehicle everywhere on public roads, once all armaments have
> been removed/disabled.

<shrug>

I don't think there's any broad-based law against it here in the USA.

--
Giftzwerg
***

Ignoring, fortunately, the assault from clever world opinion on
America=3Fs motives, its credibility and its ambitions, the Bush
Administration set out not only to eliminate immediate threats
but also to remake the Middle East."
- Gerard Baker

Giftzwerg wrote:
> In article <0wYVd.18855$d5.145230@newsb.telia.net>,
hr_hesse@yahoo.com
> says...
>
> > > Wasn't there some bloke over in the UK who was driving his
surplus
> > > Scorpion all around as though it were a car?
> >
> > Wouldn't surprise me the least. IIRC, in UK private owners can
drive any
> > former military vehicle everywhere on public roads, once all
armaments have
> > been removed/disabled.
>
> <shrug>
>
> I don't think there's any broad-based law against it here in the USA.

wheeled armored cars like saladins , M-8s and M-20s are street legal in
the USA
tracked vehicles are not because they tear up the roads, although back
in the 70s i did encounter a platoon of M-60s cruising up rte 3 in
billerica mass heading to ft devens. they were coming from cape cod ,
they took 3 to i495 to rte 2.

In article <1109976282.142237.240500@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
reoh@comcast.net says...

> > I don't think there's any broad-based law against it here in the USA.
>

> wheeled armored cars like saladins , M-8s and M-20s are street legal in
> the USA
> tracked vehicles are not because they tear up the roads, although back
> in the 70s i did encounter a platoon of M-60s cruising up rte 3 in
> billerica mass heading to ft devens. they were coming from cape cod ,
> they took 3 to i495 to rte 2.

You used to regularly find the M1s of the Vermont Guard trucking on down
Interstate 89 here in Podunk, heading from Camp Johnson to the firing
range at Underhill Center. IIRC, the only concession they made was
crossing the bridges at extreme intervals.

In fact, a buddy of mine used to be a muni cop 'round here, and he got a
fabulous cruisercam video of him blue-lighting an M1 right before the
Burlington exits. He puts on the rotators and blips the siren, and the
tank commander turns around and starts talking into his mike. As the
tank pulls over to the side of the highway, the turret swiiiiiings
around and the gun levels right into the camera. All you can hear is
the cop and his partner laughing[1] as the camera looks down a 105mm
black hole.

[1] Perhaps the slightest hint of nervous laughter? Nah.

--
Giftzwerg
***
"Little more than three years after US forces, backed by their faithful
British allies, set foot in Afghanistan, the entire historical dynamic
of this blighted region has already shifted.

Ignoring, fortunately, the assault from clever world opinion on
America=3Fs motives, its credibility and its ambitions, the Bush
Administration set out not only to eliminate immediate threats
but also to remake the Middle East."
- Gerard Baker

Ok, curious minds want to know. What was he pulling the tank over for and
did he actually write a ticket?

Frank

In article <Eu9Wd.573802$8l.380346@pd7tw1no>,
fvnews@DIE.SPAM.DIE.shaw.ca says...

> Ok, curious minds want to know. What was he pulling the tank over for and
> did he actually write a ticket?

He [ha-ha] thought it would make a funny video to pull over a tank [ha-
ha].

But the tank commander had a better visual in mind, and got the better
of the deal.

The actual question of probable cause for a motor-vehicle stop never
came up.

--
Giftzwerg
***
"Little more than three years after US forces, backed by their faithful
British allies, set foot in Afghanistan, the entire historical dynamic
of this blighted region has already shifted.

Ignoring, fortunately, the assault from clever world opinion on
America=3Fs motives, its credibility and its ambitions, the Bush
Administration set out not only to eliminate immediate threats
but also to remake the Middle East."
- Gerard Baker

hermann

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004

> I don't think there's any broad-based law against it here
> in the USA.

From what I understand, this is pretty unique for the UK.

Most countries place limitations on what kind of tracked vehicle (in terms
of weight) a private owner can use on public roads in general, and which
roads he can use (in terms of population density).

I'm sure that driving a M1A2 through Manhattan would violate at least one
law, whereas doing the same in downtown London is perfectly fine.

In article <whDWd.131890$dP1.470637@newsc.telia.net>, hr_hesse@yahoo.com
says...

> > I don't think there's any broad-based law against it here
> > in the USA.
>
> From what I understand, this is pretty unique for the UK.
>
> Most countries place limitations on what kind of tracked vehicle (in terms
> of weight) a private owner can use on public roads in general, and which
> roads he can use (in terms of population density).
>
> I'm sure that driving a M1A2 through Manhattan would violate at least one
> law, whereas doing the same in downtown London is perfectly fine.

Well, that's what I mean by "broad-based." Just about every bridge and
most roadways have *weight* restrictions assigned to them by state or
municipal engineers. But a tracked vehicle isn't looked at any
differently than, say, a tractor-trailer truck, except that it's not
allowed to present metal track-links on an improved roadway. Again,
though, this affects tracked construction vehicles, not tanks, which
have rubber pads on their tracks for exactly this reason.

--
Giftzwerg
***
"Little more than three years after US forces, backed by their faithful
British allies, set foot in Afghanistan, the entire historical dynamic
of this blighted region has already shifted.

Ignoring, fortunately, the assault from clever world opinion on
America=3Fs motives, its credibility and its ambitions, the Bush
Administration set out not only to eliminate immediate threats
but also to remake the Middle East."
- Gerard Baker

TRENDING THREADS