alesis masterlink hard drives

Last response: in Home Audio
March 20, 2005 9:01:18 AM

please help me. i just recieved a masterlink and the harddrive is
missing. i could go into detail but i dont think it is important.
anyway, i would like to replace the drive but the manual does'nt give
specs. i also heard the unit can only support 40 gig drives. please
help.
i allready know about the yahoo group dedicated to the masterlink. and
i might get involved.
garf cooper
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 7:23:20 PM

In article <1111327278.528276.242910@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> egckooper@aol.com writes:

> please help me. i just recieved a masterlink and the harddrive is
> missing. i could go into detail but i dont think it is important.

Of course the details aren't important. Why are you even considering
installing a new hard drive? Or did you "receive" it for free? Oh,
yeah, you weren't going into the details.

If you bought it thinking it was complete and it came without a disk
drive, there's no reason to believe that this is the only thing wrong
with it (even if the seller told you so). And if you bought it with
the knowledge that it was missing the hard drive, I'd think you'd have
been clever enough to research what you were getting into before
buying it.

It's certainly replaceable, but I think you're a fool for going down
this path. But then I don't know you, I don't know about your years as
a computer/electronic/audio technicial or 30 years playing guitar, and
I don't know how or why you even obtained it. So don't mind me.

> i also heard the unit can only support 40 gig drives.

I thought it was 20 GB, but there may have been some updates.

> i allready know about the yahoo group dedicated to the masterlink. and
> i might get involved.

If you're going to keep the unit, I think this would be the best place
to get involved. Usually user-to-user support for things like this is
much better than factory support. And a specialized forum is better
than a general audio newsgroup. You'll find people there who are more
sympathetic to your situation than I am.

March 21, 2005 3:11:11 AM

On 20 Mar 2005 06:01:18 -0800, "Garf" <egckooper@aol.com> wrote:

>please help me. i just recieved a masterlink and the harddrive is
>missing.

Any disk with 5200 rpm and ATA-33 is supported, the size
depends on the OS. You can download the newest version of the
OS and burn it on CD - but I don't know if the boot loader of
the ML can partition a virgin disk and put the OS onto it.

Norbert
March 21, 2005 11:22:00 PM

"Garf" <egckooper@aol.com> wrote in message
> please help me. i just recieved a masterlink and the harddrive is
> missing. i could go into detail but i dont think it is important.
> anyway, i would like to replace the drive but the manual does'nt give
> specs. i also heard the unit can only support 40 gig drives. please
> help.
> i allready know about the yahoo group dedicated to the masterlink. and
> i might get involved.
> garf cooper

Here you go...very simple to do:

http://www.alesis.com/support/faqs/swappingdrives.pdf
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 6:56:28 PM

Garf wrote:

> i would like to replace the drive but the manual does'nt give
> specs. i also heard the unit can only support 40 gig drives.

See if you can find a Maxtor 2F040L0 drive. Low profile 40 gig, has the
32 mbyte capacity limitation jumper, and as quiet as a laptop drive
(also only draws ~13 Watts.)
!