Mr_Flibbles

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
Hello. Built a new system that crashed whenever I tried to run 3D graphics-intensive applications (like games at high res) and finally determined the RAM was the problem by replacing the existing PC2700 chip with a PC2100 chip. Later, I decided to swap the PC2700 RAM from a different system into that computer to see if it was a bad chip or a compatibility issue (I have the GA-7VAXP mobo, which supposedly supports up to PC3200). With the new chip in it, the computer worked without a hitch.

However, when I put the chip back in my old system, that computer started doing the exact same thing, rendering two computers unusuable. How could temporarily switching RAM transfer such a problem? Is this completely off the wall?

Thanks.

So you swapped a stick of PC2700 from a known good computer to the problem computer and when you swapped it back, the good computer now has problems, thats interesting. I wonder if on the original problem computer theres a voltage problem with the DIMM slots, that may have damaged your good stick of RAM, thats a rare occurence but not impossible.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

TRENDING THREADS