Do I need to reinstall windows?

kaelinronkus

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I just finished my first build. Very satisfying experience for someone who has never owned a desktop computer before.

In the initial Windows 7 64 bit home premium boot CD I decided to partition my 2 TB HDD into 2 parts.

30GB to C: for Windows to boot and ALL the rest to D:

Anyway, my problem is I want the PC to recognize the D: drive as the main drive for all my downloads and data.

Is there a way I can make D: my "Main" drive without reinstalling windows 7? Or do I have to format my HDD and start from scratch?

First off I think your C partition is a bit mean, you'll need more space than that! You can direct all your downloads to D as they arrive using the 'Save as' option in the window at the bottom of your screen. I manage to run Windows on a 64Gb SSD but I have to be careful. 100+Gb would make life easier!
Use Easeus Partition Manager to extend C to a manageable size
http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

kaelinronkus

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

Thanks! Will I be able to make C: drive use the entire HDD storage (2TB) and just delete D: altogether using this program?

kaelinronkus

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Great! I merged my C: drive with the D: drive and all went well.

However, now my PC is running really slow. Is there something I can do to speed it back up?

Should I defrag?

(Like I said, it's a new build so I have nothing on the HDD except for some updates/drivers and the OS)