Dragoon review

In the April issue of Computer Games magazine, reviewer Troy S. Goodfellow
awards Dragoon: The Prussian War Machine 4 out of 5 stars. Mr. Goodfellow
calls the game "another fine chapter in an already fine series."

Gandalf Parker

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:55:25 GMT, Gandalf Parker
<gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:

> In the April issue of Computer Games magazine, reviewer Troy S. Goodfellow
>awards Dragoon: The Prussian War Machine 4 out of 5 stars. Mr. Goodfellow
>calls the game "another fine chapter in an already fine series."
>
>Gandalf Parker

Demo didn't give me the impression it was a 4/5 game.

"Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
> In the April issue of Computer Games magazine, reviewer Troy S. Goodfellow
> awards Dragoon: The Prussian War Machine 4 out of 5 stars. Mr. Goodfellow
> calls the game "another fine chapter in an already fine series."
>
> Gandalf Parker

Has anyone seen a list of differences between this and the older Horse &
Musket game by the same company. I know there were a bunch of graphical
improvements but those don't interest me.

Bob W.

"Gandalf Parker" <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote in message
> In the April issue of Computer Games magazine, reviewer Troy S. Goodfellow
> awards Dragoon: The Prussian War Machine 4 out of 5 stars. Mr. Goodfellow
> calls the game "another fine chapter in an already fine series."
>
> Gandalf Parker

This may be of help.

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/dragoon/

Magnus

Here is an answer to a similiar question like yours from Dave Erickson
regarding the differencies between HnM and Dragoon Prussian War
Machine.

Besides vastly improved graphics, animation and interface, there are
some substantial differences between old and new Dragoons. We've added
a layer of leadership and have made the game scaleable. In the old
one, you were pretty much locked in to that 150 yds/hex, 15 min/turn
scale which made modeling smaller battles difficult. Now by tailoring
movement factors and firing ranges (and virtually anything else you
can think of), you can play scenarios at a variety of scales. Our
first game includes battles at anywhere from 75 yds/hex up to 150.
This has allowed us to make some really great little scenarios from
the big battles. For example, we've culled 5 scenarios from the Battle
of Hohenfreideberg, including Zieten's attack on the Austrian right
wing cavalry and the famous charge of the Bayreuth Dragoons. I think
the old game only had one scenario in addition to the main battle. The
new system has really opened up the possibilities. (Oh, and by the
way, Mollwitz and Leuthen [to be released at a future date] now have
snowy fields to fight on.)

We've also allowed for more finely tuned unit and leader stats (all
modifiable). Leaders now have separate attributes for Command, Rally,
Initiative, Radius and Orders (for the 2 highest levels of
leadership). Combat units have all sorts of stats so we (and you) can
easily create a wide variety of distinct unit types (including
allowable formations, separate fire and assault modifiers, morale
checks, marching ability, movement points, and allowing mounted
cavalry to fire, among others).

Technical improvements are too numerous to mention. A big deal for
everyone will be that PBEM capability is vastly enhanced.

I'm probably forgetting something important but suffice it to say that
if you're a fan of the era (and who isn't, really?), it's going to be
hard to pass this one up. I'm excited about it, and I think old
Dragooners will be thrilled (and I love old Dragooners!).

pettersson72@hotmail.com (Magnus) wrote in

> Technical improvements are too numerous to mention. A big deal for
> everyone will be that PBEM capability is vastly enhanced.

Interesting. Im always happy to see a good PbEM strategy game (not that
many get actually played by email but the structure has many advantages for
strategy games).

Gandalf Parker

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I would have been happy
with a boardgame-type appearance so graphics weren't important to me. The
list of changes below make it much more interesting. I will consider it
once I have completed my HOI2 infatuation.

Bob W.