Downloading PRL

I understand that the latest PRL that was just released is 10026. I
currently have 10025. How do I download PRL 10028. On Verizon I would use
*228. What is the number to download PRL for SprintPCS?

Thanks,

-mij
26 answers Last reply
More about downloading

    Mij Adyaw wrote:

    > I understand that the latest PRL that was just released is 10026. I
    > currently have 10025. How do I download PRL 10028. On Verizon I would use
    > *228. What is the number to download PRL for SprintPCS?

    Huh?

    If the latest is 10026, why do you want 10028? <g>

    If you meant 10026, just call CS and ask them to "flag your
    phone for the latest PRL."

    Notan

    Thanks, I really want 10026. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain.
    -mij

    > Mij Adyaw wrote:
    >>
    >> I understand that the latest PRL that was just released is 10026. I
    >> currently have 10025. How do I download PRL 10028. On Verizon I would use
    >> *228. What is the number to download PRL for SprintPCS?
    >
    > Huh?
    >
    > If the latest is 10026, why do you want 10028? <g>
    >
    > If you meant 10026, just call CS and ask them to "flag your
    > phone for the latest PRL."
    >
    > Notan

    I just called *2 and immediately was told by an automated message that my
    phone needed an update. After the update completed I now have PRL 10026.
    This is VERY COOL. I did not even have to talk with a customer support
    representative. I hope that Sprint will also push new firmware in the same
    manner. That would be even cooler.

    -mij

    In article <421FD9AB.A329E01D@ddress.com>, Notan <notan@ddress.com>
    wrote:

    > If you meant 10026, just call CS and ask them to "flag your
    > phone for the latest PRL."

    I did this today and was told "okay, just call *2 and you'll have the
    option for a prl update"

    so I waited & waited -- every time I called the option was there, so I
    stayed on the line and talked to another rep.

    he told me that because I have an employee plan, I'm not allowed to get
    prl updates. He told me they don't do anything to help with dropped
    calls or bad service areas.

    I don't care! My phone shows the prl as 10019, and I want it updated.

    /tommy

    In article
    <skyway-C1D9B6.21533825022005@newssvr21-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
    tommy <skyway@gmail.com> wrote:

    > I don't care! My phone shows the prl as 10019, and I want it updated.

    update (already!)..

    I just called them again (3rd attempt) and the rep updated my phone
    without a problem.

    WHY are they always so damn inconsistent?!

    I'm not just talking about sprint, but tech support in general. They all
    know/do different things. There's no standard operating procedure. I'm
    glad they did it, but it shouldn't have taken 3 calls.

    /tommy

    I just updated my phone to PRL 10026. I had to call CS in order to get this
    done. I was wondering why some people can get the PRL update downloaded
    automatically while others can't. The CS guy told me that the Sprint
    software is set to only provide 1 automatic PRL update each year to each
    phone, otherwise you will have to request it. I'm not sure if this means
    calendar year or the time since the last PRL was installed. Not sure if this
    is true but it kinda makes sense.

    Thanks,
    Tony
    For replies, please correct my address.

    > Mij Adyaw wrote:
    > >
    > > I understand that the latest PRL that was just released is 10026. I
    > > currently have 10025. How do I download PRL 10028. On Verizon I would
    use
    > > *228. What is the number to download PRL for SprintPCS?
    >
    > Huh?
    >
    > If the latest is 10026, why do you want 10028? <g>
    >
    > If you meant 10026, just call CS and ask them to "flag your
    > phone for the latest PRL."
    >
    > Notan

    This morning, I had to jump through a few hoops to get them to do that. My
    first call into *2 just went to the voice prompt, to where I said PRL ...
    three times. After 2 min. hold time, a CS rep comes on. I ask her to flag
    all three phones on my account. Instead of doing it, she tells me to call
    back and say UPDATE. After she asks whether her service was satisfactory, I
    said no ... it wasn't.

    Called back into *2, and said UPDATE three times, went on hold for 4
    minutes, and spoke to another rep, who told me I needed to say PRL UPDATE
    .... I explained the other call, she said she couldn't help me, but would
    transfer me to their "trouble" dept. After another 4 minute hold, a rep
    comes on, and I start to request he flag all three phones, and he interrupts
    me and says I don't need new PRLs for my area.

    I say, hey ... that's great, but what about when I travel and am roaming? He
    still stands by his original comments. I asked him whether he even knew what
    a PRL was, he said he did, but didn't explain. I re-explained it to him,the
    purpose, and that even if I didn't need it in my home area, I may need it
    when roaming. He says he flagged all three phones.

    Called *2 5 minutes later, and the update went through.

    Considering I probably know more about SPCS, than the three reps I spoke to
    this morning, I'm not a happy camper with the steps it took to get all three
    phones flagged, especially with the last rep.

    I don't know whether it's a lack of training on their part, a change in how
    PRL updates are handled, or whether the voice prompt system was not working,
    but in either case, it needs to be fixed.

    Bob

    Bob Smith wrote:
    > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Mij Adyaw wrote:
    >>
    >>>I understand that the latest PRL that was just released is 10026. I
    >>>currently have 10025. How do I download PRL 10028. On Verizon I would
    >
    > use
    >
    >>>*228. What is the number to download PRL for SprintPCS?
    >>
    >>Huh?
    >>
    >>If the latest is 10026, why do you want 10028? <g>
    >>
    >>If you meant 10026, just call CS and ask them to "flag your
    >>phone for the latest PRL."
    >>
    >>Notan
    >

    > This morning, I had to jump through a few hoops to get them to do that. My
    > first call into *2 just went to the voice prompt, to where I said PRL ...
    > three times. After 2 min. hold time, a CS rep comes on. I ask her to flag
    > all three phones on my account. Instead of doing it, she tells me to call
    > back and say UPDATE. After she asks whether her service was satisfactory, I
    > said no ... it wasn't.
    >
    > Called back into *2, and said UPDATE three times, went on hold for 4
    > minutes, and spoke to another rep, who told me I needed to say PRL UPDATE
    > ... I explained the other call, she said she couldn't help me, but would
    > transfer me to their "trouble" dept. After another 4 minute hold, a rep
    > comes on, and I start to request he flag all three phones, and he interrupts
    > me and says I don't need new PRLs for my area.
    >
    > I say, hey ... that's great, but what about when I travel and am roaming? He
    > still stands by his original comments. I asked him whether he even knew what
    > a PRL was, he said he did, but didn't explain. I re-explained it to him,the
    > purpose, and that even if I didn't need it in my home area, I may need it
    > when roaming. He says he flagged all three phones.
    >
    > Called *2 5 minutes later, and the update went through.
    >
    > Considering I probably know more about SPCS, than the three reps I spoke to
    > this morning, I'm not a happy camper with the steps it took to get all three
    > phones flagged, especially with the last rep.
    >
    > I don't know whether it's a lack of training on their part, a change in how
    > PRL updates are handled, or whether the voice prompt system was not working,
    > but in either case, it needs to be fixed.
    >
    > Bob

    For months the *2 number has been ignoring PRL update requests when
    asked for vocally, yet the CS people say to call *2.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:49:59 GMT, "Bob Smith"
    <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >This morning, I had to jump through a few hoops to get them to do that. My
    >first call into *2 just went to the voice prompt, to where I said PRL ...
    >three times. After 2 min. hold time, a CS rep comes on. I ask her to flag
    >all three phones on my account. Instead of doing it, she tells me to call
    >back and say UPDATE. After she asks whether her service was satisfactory, I
    >said no ... it wasn't.
    >
    >Called back into *2, and said UPDATE three times, went on hold for 4
    >minutes, and spoke to another rep, who told me I needed to say PRL UPDATE
    >... I explained the other call, she said she couldn't help me, but would
    >transfer me to their "trouble" dept. After another 4 minute hold, a rep
    >comes on, and I start to request he flag all three phones, and he interrupts
    >me and says I don't need new PRLs for my area.

    I had the same experience, and the "trouble tech" explained
    that the reason he didn't feel I needed 10026 is that all it added to
    10025 was capability for roaming in Australia. He suggested that
    unless I was on my way to Australia it was superfluous. I didn't argue
    it.

    DGI
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Bob Smith wrote:

    > Called back into *2, and said UPDATE three times, went on hold for 4
    > minutes, and spoke to another rep, who told me I needed to say PRL UPDATE

    Same here, neither UPDATE nor PRL UPDATE was understood by the
    automated system. Does anyone have the correct keyword?

    --
    John Richards
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    John Richards wrote:

    > Bob Smith wrote:
    > >
    > > Called back into *2, and said UPDATE three times, went on hold for 4
    > > minutes, and spoke to another rep, who told me I needed to say PRL UPDATE
    >
    > Same here, neither UPDATE nor PRL UPDATE was understood by the
    > automated system. Does anyone have the correct keyword?

    My experience says their isn't one.

    Press "0" to leave the automated system and speak with a CS Rep.

    Notan
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Notan wrote:

    > John Richards wrote:
    > >
    > > Bob Smith wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Called back into *2, and said UPDATE three times, went on hold for 4
    > > > minutes, and spoke to another rep, who told me I needed to say PRL UPDATE
    > ?
    > ? Same here, neither UPDATE nor PRL UPDATE was understood by the
    > ? automated system. Does anyone have the correct keyword?
    >
    > My experience says their isn't one.
    >
    > Press "0" to leave the automated system and speak with a CS Rep.
    >
    > Notan

    Ooops! That shoulda been "there isn't one."

    Notan
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Notan wrote:

    >>My experience says their isn't one.
    >>
    >>Press "0" to leave the automated system and speak with a CS Rep.
    >>
    >>Notan
    > Ooops! That shoulda been "there isn't one."
    >
    > Notan

    I've found tht if you add the America Option to your plan (free and
    clear america, or fair and flexible amera) the system prompts them to
    flag your account for a prl update, regardless of the version you
    currently have.

    Maybe it might be worth it to ask to have the option added, to take
    effect the next billing cycle, and thena fter you get the update, call
    back and "change your mind?"

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    I too had problems with new prl 10026
    I called CS and was told my phone didn't need a new prl if I didn't get a
    voice prompt
    I asked if their was a new prl out.
    She informed me I should call #2 and request a prl update
    I told I did and it didn't work
    She told me again I don't need a PRl update
    I could tell my her tone of voice she was a bitch
    So I said thanks and goodbye and hung up the phone
    I then called my local Sprint store and they flagged my account and told me
    to call #2
    Now I have 10026 on my phone
    Where do they get these CS people
    It took me 3 months to stop the autopay on my account too
    They kept telling me it was stopped and yet they didn't do a thing to stop
    it

    >I understand that the latest PRL that was just released is 10026. I
    >currently have 10025. How do I download PRL 10028. On Verizon I would use
    >*228. What is the number to download PRL for SprintPCS?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -mij

  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I too had problems with new prl 10026
    > I called CS and was told my phone didn't need a new prl if I didn't get a
    > voice prompt
    > I asked if their was a new prl out.
    > She informed me I should call #2 and request a prl update
    > I told I did and it didn't work
    > She told me again I don't need a PRl update
    > I could tell my her tone of voice she was a bitch
    > So I said thanks and goodbye and hung up the phone
    > I then called my local Sprint store and they flagged my account and told me
    > to call #2
    > Now I have 10026 on my phone
    > Where do they get these CS people
    > It took me 3 months to stop the autopay on my account too
    > They kept telling me it was stopped and yet they didn't do a thing to stop
    > it

    I don't know what the whole deal is/was, but I had had a hard time trying
    to find out what version I had on my 3 phones (Sanyo 8200 with so confusing
    menu). I heard about the *2 (STAR-2 *not* #2) and didn't get to nowhere.

    Since Sprint store is just few blocks from my house, I stopped there and
    asked how to upgrade the PRL version. Well, she just asked for my Phone #'s
    then enabled the option in the computer (without touching my phone), then
    all I need to do is pressing *2 to get PRL upgraded (upgrading PRK was the
    first thing it did, before asking to chose between English/Spanish etc..)

    I still don't know how to check for PRL version on my Sanyo 8200.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Joel" <joe@Nospam.com> wrote in message

    I don't know what the whole deal is/was, but I had had a hard time trying
    to find out what version I had on my 3 phones (Sanyo 8200 with so confusing
    menu). I heard about the *2 (STAR-2 *not* #2) and didn't get to nowhere.

    Since Sprint store is just few blocks from my house, I stopped there and
    asked how to upgrade the PRL version. Well, she just asked for my Phone #'s
    then enabled the option in the computer (without touching my phone), then
    all I need to do is pressing *2 to get PRL upgraded (upgrading PRK was the
    first thing it did, before asking to chose between English/Spanish etc..)

    I still don't know how to check for PRL version on my Sanyo 8200.

    --------------------

    Most, if not all the recent Sanyos have similar menus. On my 5300, the
    option to find it is under "Phone Info", click OK. The sub menu shows
    "Version". Have you scrolled all the way down your menu?

    Bob
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > "Joel" <joe@Nospam.com> wrote in message
    >
    > I don't know what the whole deal is/was, but I had had a hard time trying
    > to find out what version I had on my 3 phones (Sanyo 8200 with so confusing
    > menu). I heard about the *2 (STAR-2 *not* #2) and didn't get to nowhere.
    >
    > Since Sprint store is just few blocks from my house, I stopped there and
    > asked how to upgrade the PRL version. Well, she just asked for my Phone #'s
    > then enabled the option in the computer (without touching my phone), then
    > all I need to do is pressing *2 to get PRL upgraded (upgrading PRK was the
    > first thing it did, before asking to chose between English/Spanish etc..)
    >
    > I still don't know how to check for PRL version on my Sanyo 8200.
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    > Most, if not all the recent Sanyos have similar menus. On my 5300, the
    > option to find it is under "Phone Info", click OK. The sub menu shows
    > "Version". Have you scrolled all the way down your menu?
    >
    > Bob

    Thanks for the reply. But I can only be able to find the "My Phone #" but
    can't find the "Phone Info". Yes, I scrolled Up/Down many times and
    selected many options under Setting & Extra/Tools etc. but can't be able to
    locate it.

    I had 3 Verizon phones (don't remember the brands) and they were all so
    easy to find just about any information I wanted. But this Sanyo is just
    another story <g>
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Joel" <joe@Nospam.com> wrote in message news:15319272.15316104@anonymous.com...

    > Thanks for the reply. But I can only be able to find the "My Phone #" but
    > can't find the "Phone Info". Yes, I scrolled Up/Down many times and
    > selected many options under Setting & Extra/Tools etc. but can't be able to
    > locate it.
    >
    > I had 3 Verizon phones (don't remember the brands) and they were all so
    > easy to find just about any information I wanted. But this Sanyo is just
    > another story <g>

    Joel, I don't have an 8200, but the PRL (and more) on my older Sanyo
    is under Menu > Settings > Display > Version.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "John R. Copeland" <jcopelan@columbus.rr.aol.com> wrote:

    > "Joel" <joe@Nospam.com> wrote in message news:15319272.15316104@anonymous.com...
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply. But I can only be able to find the "My Phone #" but
    > > can't find the "Phone Info". Yes, I scrolled Up/Down many times and
    > > selected many options under Setting & Extra/Tools etc. but can't be able to
    > > locate it.
    > >
    > > I had 3 Verizon phones (don't remember the brands) and they were all so
    > > easy to find just about any information I wanted. But this Sanyo is just
    > > another story <g>
    >
    > Joel, I don't have an 8200, but the PRL (and more) on my older Sanyo
    > is under Menu > Settings > Display > Version.

    Thanks, but still can't find it. Here is what I see.

    Menu -> Settings -> Display

    BackLight, Font Size, Background, Animation, Incoming Calls, Match Area
    Code, and Standby Display

    Sounds, Display, PCS Vision, Ready Link, Location, Roaming, Messaging,
    Security, Others

    Others = Any Key, Open/Close Flip, Abbr. Dial, Headset Mode, TTY, Side Key
    Guard, My Shortcut, Airplane Mode, Set Time/Date, Language.

    Well, I have this phone for over a year, but just can't find much from the
    menu, so just use the option to enter the phone #'s, dial #'s etc..
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Hello Joel... I have three phones on my account (all Sanyo) (6400, 7400, &
    8200).. You can look up your PRL version this way: Menu-Settings--Phone
    Info--Version.. (Phone info is # 0 in settings) You can't see it
    initially.. you have to scroll down one from "others".
    Hope this helps..

    Jason
    Sprint PCS user Las Vegas, NV
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    If anybody needs help with their Sanyo 7400, 8200, or 6400 (if people still
    use the 6400) Just ask me and I'll try to help you out!

    Jason
    Sprint PCS user--Las Vegas, NV
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Jason <kenneyjason@sprintpcs.com> wrote:

    > Hello Joel... I have three phones on my account (all Sanyo) (6400, 7400, &
    > 8200).. You can look up your PRL version this way: Menu-Settings--Phone
    > Info--Version.. (Phone info is # 0 in settings) You can't see it
    > initially.. you have to scroll down one from "others".
    > Hope this helps..
    >
    > Jason
    > Sprint PCS user Las Vegas, NV

    Still can't find it. I checked the the "Setting" -> "Others" and these
    are what I see.

    MENU
    #7 = Setting
    #9 = Others

    Any Key Answer
    Auto Answer
    Open/Close Flip
    Abbrev Dial
    Headset Mode
    TTY
    Side Key Guard
    My Shortcut
    Airplane Mode
    Set Time/Date
    Language

    That's it!
  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Joel" <joe@Nospam.com> wrote in message

    Joel, per the Sanyo 7400 model, available on SPCS's site in PDF format, it
    says:
    Displaying the Version Information
    To display the version number of the software,hardware,PRL
    (Preferred Roaming List), PRI (Product Release Instructions), etc.,
    installed on your Sprint PCS Phone:
    1. Press Menu/OK to access the main menu.
    2. Select Settings and press Menu/OK.
    3. Select Phone Info and press Menu/OK.
    4. Select Version and press Menu/OK.

    That was on page 125 of 326.

    The manual can be downloaded via http://tinyurl.com/4hmv5 . I suggest you
    download the file and save it.

    Bob
  24. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Don't go into Others.... In the settings menu "Phone Info" is #0 (scroll
    PAST others...) You'll find Phone Info there... then you'll find "Version"
  25. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

    > "Joel" <joe@Nospam.com> wrote in message
    >
    > Joel, per the Sanyo 7400 model, available on SPCS's site in PDF format, it
    > says:
    > Displaying the Version Information
    > To display the version number of the software,hardware,PRL
    > (Preferred Roaming List), PRI (Product Release Instructions), etc.,
    > installed on your Sprint PCS Phone:
    > 1. Press Menu/OK to access the main menu.
    > 2. Select Settings and press Menu/OK.
    > 3. Select Phone Info and press Menu/OK.
    > 4. Select Version and press Menu/OK.
    >
    > That was on page 125 of 326.
    >
    > The manual can be downloaded via http://tinyurl.com/4hmv5 . I suggest you
    > download the file and save it.
    >
    > Bob

    Thanks for the information and the link. But the problem that I have
    Sanyo 8200, and I can't find the "Phone Info" from the "Setting" menu. I
    believe I have PDF format for the phone (I download PDF manuals for many
    hardwares to remember which one I have) and I don't think the manual cover
    the "PRL"?? I will try to search for "PRL" again later see if I missed the
    last time.

    Thanks.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Jason <kenneyjason@sprintpcs.com> wrote:

    > Don't go into Others.... In the settings menu "Phone Info" is #0 (scroll
    > PAST others...) You'll find Phone Info there... then you'll find "Version"

    Argggggg... I hit the JACKPOT! thanks for opening my blinded eyes <g>

Sprint PCS Download Verizon Internet Service Providers