Downloading PRL

Last response: in Network Providers
February 25, 2005 8:32:45 PM

I understand that the latest PRL that was just released is 10026. I
currently have 10025. How do I download PRL 10028. On Verizon I would use
*228. What is the number to download PRL for SprintPCS?

Thanks,

-mij

More about : downloading prl

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 10:06:35 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:

> I understand that the latest PRL that was just released is 10026. I
> currently have 10025. How do I download PRL 10028. On Verizon I would use
> *228. What is the number to download PRL for SprintPCS?

Huh?

If the latest is 10026, why do you want 10028? <g>

If you meant 10026, just call CS and ask them to "flag your
phone for the latest PRL."

Notan
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 11:45:00 PM

Thanks, I really want 10026. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain.
-mij

> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>>
>> I understand that the latest PRL that was just released is 10026. I
>> currently have 10025. How do I download PRL 10028. On Verizon I would use
>> *228. What is the number to download PRL for SprintPCS?
>
> Huh?
>
> If the latest is 10026, why do you want 10028? <g>
>
> If you meant 10026, just call CS and ask them to "flag your
> phone for the latest PRL."
>
> Notan
February 26, 2005 12:08:10 AM

I just called *2 and immediately was told by an automated message that my
phone needed an update. After the update completed I now have PRL 10026.
This is VERY COOL. I did not even have to talk with a customer support
representative. I hope that Sprint will also push new firmware in the same
manner. That would be even cooler.

-mij

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, I really want 10026. Sometimes my fingers get ahead of my brain.
> -mij
>

> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>>>
>>> I understand that the latest PRL that was just released is 10026. I
>>> currently have 10025. How do I download PRL 10028. On Verizon I would
>>> use
>>> *228. What is the number to download PRL for SprintPCS?
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> If the latest is 10026, why do you want 10028? <g>
>>
>> If you meant 10026, just call CS and ask them to "flag your
>> phone for the latest PRL."
>>
>> Notan

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 8:53:38 AM

In article <421FD9AB.A329E01D@ddress.com>, Notan <notan@ddress.com>
wrote:

> If you meant 10026, just call CS and ask them to "flag your
> phone for the latest PRL."

I did this today and was told "okay, just call *2 and you'll have the
option for a prl update"

so I waited & waited -- every time I called the option was there, so I
stayed on the line and talked to another rep.

he told me that because I have an employee plan, I'm not allowed to get
prl updates. He told me they don't do anything to help with dropped
calls or bad service areas.

I don't care! My phone shows the prl as 10019, and I want it updated.

/tommy
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:25:20 AM

In article
<skyway-C1D9B6.21533825022005@newssvr21-ext.news.prodigy.com>,
tommy <skyway@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't care! My phone shows the prl as 10019, and I want it updated.

update (already!)..

I just called them again (3rd attempt) and the rep updated my phone
without a problem.

WHY are they always so damn inconsistent?!

I'm not just talking about sprint, but tech support in general. They all
know/do different things. There's no standard operating procedure. I'm
glad they did it, but it shouldn't have taken 3 calls.

/tommy
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 5:36:28 PM

I just updated my phone to PRL 10026. I had to call CS in order to get this
done. I was wondering why some people can get the PRL update downloaded
automatically while others can't. The CS guy told me that the Sprint
software is set to only provide 1 automatic PRL update each year to each
phone, otherwise you will have to request it. I'm not sure if this means
calendar year or the time since the last PRL was installed. Not sure if this
is true but it kinda makes sense.

Thanks,
Tony
For replies, please correct my address.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 5:49:59 PM

> Mij Adyaw wrote:
> >
> > I understand that the latest PRL that was just released is 10026. I
> > currently have 10025. How do I download PRL 10028. On Verizon I would
use
> > *228. What is the number to download PRL for SprintPCS?
>
> Huh?
>
> If the latest is 10026, why do you want 10028? <g>
>
> If you meant 10026, just call CS and ask them to "flag your
> phone for the latest PRL."
>
> Notan

This morning, I had to jump through a few hoops to get them to do that. My
first call into *2 just went to the voice prompt, to where I said PRL ...
three times. After 2 min. hold time, a CS rep comes on. I ask her to flag
all three phones on my account. Instead of doing it, she tells me to call
back and say UPDATE. After she asks whether her service was satisfactory, I
said no ... it wasn't.

Called back into *2, and said UPDATE three times, went on hold for 4
minutes, and spoke to another rep, who told me I needed to say PRL UPDATE
.... I explained the other call, she said she couldn't help me, but would
transfer me to their "trouble" dept. After another 4 minute hold, a rep
comes on, and I start to request he flag all three phones, and he interrupts
me and says I don't need new PRLs for my area.

I say, hey ... that's great, but what about when I travel and am roaming? He
still stands by his original comments. I asked him whether he even knew what
a PRL was, he said he did, but didn't explain. I re-explained it to him,the
purpose, and that even if I didn't need it in my home area, I may need it
when roaming. He says he flagged all three phones.

Called *2 5 minutes later, and the update went through.

Considering I probably know more about SPCS, than the three reps I spoke to
this morning, I'm not a happy camper with the steps it took to get all three
phones flagged, especially with the last rep.

I don't know whether it's a lack of training on their part, a change in how
PRL updates are handled, or whether the voice prompt system was not working,
but in either case, it needs to be fixed.

Bob
February 26, 2005 11:22:41 PM

Bob Smith wrote:
> "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
>
>>Mij Adyaw wrote:
>>
>>>I understand that the latest PRL that was just released is 10026. I
>>>currently have 10025. How do I download PRL 10028. On Verizon I would
>
> use
>
>>>*228. What is the number to download PRL for SprintPCS?
>>
>>Huh?
>>
>>If the latest is 10026, why do you want 10028? <g>
>>
>>If you meant 10026, just call CS and ask them to "flag your
>>phone for the latest PRL."
>>
>>Notan
>

> This morning, I had to jump through a few hoops to get them to do that. My
> first call into *2 just went to the voice prompt, to where I said PRL ...
> three times. After 2 min. hold time, a CS rep comes on. I ask her to flag
> all three phones on my account. Instead of doing it, she tells me to call
> back and say UPDATE. After she asks whether her service was satisfactory, I
> said no ... it wasn't.
>
> Called back into *2, and said UPDATE three times, went on hold for 4
> minutes, and spoke to another rep, who told me I needed to say PRL UPDATE
> ... I explained the other call, she said she couldn't help me, but would
> transfer me to their "trouble" dept. After another 4 minute hold, a rep
> comes on, and I start to request he flag all three phones, and he interrupts
> me and says I don't need new PRLs for my area.
>
> I say, hey ... that's great, but what about when I travel and am roaming? He
> still stands by his original comments. I asked him whether he even knew what
> a PRL was, he said he did, but didn't explain. I re-explained it to him,the
> purpose, and that even if I didn't need it in my home area, I may need it
> when roaming. He says he flagged all three phones.
>
> Called *2 5 minutes later, and the update went through.
>
> Considering I probably know more about SPCS, than the three reps I spoke to
> this morning, I'm not a happy camper with the steps it took to get all three
> phones flagged, especially with the last rep.
>
> I don't know whether it's a lack of training on their part, a change in how
> PRL updates are handled, or whether the voice prompt system was not working,
> but in either case, it needs to be fixed.
>
> Bob

For months the *2 number has been ignoring PRL update requests when
asked for vocally, yet the CS people say to call *2.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:36:27 AM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:49:59 GMT, "Bob Smith"
<usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

>This morning, I had to jump through a few hoops to get them to do that. My
>first call into *2 just went to the voice prompt, to where I said PRL ...
>three times. After 2 min. hold time, a CS rep comes on. I ask her to flag
>all three phones on my account. Instead of doing it, she tells me to call
>back and say UPDATE. After she asks whether her service was satisfactory, I
>said no ... it wasn't.
>
>Called back into *2, and said UPDATE three times, went on hold for 4
>minutes, and spoke to another rep, who told me I needed to say PRL UPDATE
>... I explained the other call, she said she couldn't help me, but would
>transfer me to their "trouble" dept. After another 4 minute hold, a rep
>comes on, and I start to request he flag all three phones, and he interrupts
>me and says I don't need new PRLs for my area.

I had the same experience, and the "trouble tech" explained
that the reason he didn't feel I needed 10026 is that all it added to
10025 was capability for roaming in Australia. He suggested that
unless I was on my way to Australia it was superfluous. I didn't argue
it.

DGI
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 1:45:13 AM

Bob Smith wrote:

> Called back into *2, and said UPDATE three times, went on hold for 4
> minutes, and spoke to another rep, who told me I needed to say PRL UPDATE

Same here, neither UPDATE nor PRL UPDATE was understood by the
automated system. Does anyone have the correct keyword?

--
John Richards
Anonymous

John Richards wrote:

> Bob Smith wrote:
> >
> > Called back into *2, and said UPDATE three times, went on hold for 4
> > minutes, and spoke to another rep, who told me I needed to say PRL UPDATE
>
> Same here, neither UPDATE nor PRL UPDATE was understood by the
> automated system. Does anyone have the correct keyword?

My experience says their isn't one.

Press "0" to leave the automated system and speak with a CS Rep.

Notan
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 1:45:15 AM

Notan wrote:

> John Richards wrote:
> >
> > Bob Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > Called back into *2, and said UPDATE three times, went on hold for 4
> > > minutes, and spoke to another rep, who told me I needed to say PRL UPDATE
> ?
> ? Same here, neither UPDATE nor PRL UPDATE was understood by the
> ? automated system. Does anyone have the correct keyword?
>
> My experience says their isn't one.
>
> Press "0" to leave the automated system and speak with a CS Rep.
>
> Notan

Ooops! That shoulda been "there isn't one."

Notan
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:59:32 PM

Notan wrote:

>>My experience says their isn't one.
>>
>>Press "0" to leave the automated system and speak with a CS Rep.
>>
>>Notan
> Ooops! That shoulda been "there isn't one."
>
> Notan

I've found tht if you add the America Option to your plan (free and
clear america, or fair and flexible amera) the system prompts them to
flag your account for a prl update, regardless of the version you
currently have.

Maybe it might be worth it to ask to have the option added, to take
effect the next billing cycle, and thena fter you get the update, call
back and "change your mind?"

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
March 2, 2005 4:49:38 AM

I too had problems with new prl 10026
I called CS and was told my phone didn't need a new prl if I didn't get a
voice prompt
I asked if their was a new prl out.
She informed me I should call #2 and request a prl update
I told I did and it didn't work
She told me again I don't need a PRl update
I could tell my her tone of voice she was a bitch
So I said thanks and goodbye and hung up the phone
I then called my local Sprint store and they flagged my account and told me
to call #2
Now I have 10026 on my phone
Where do they get these CS people
It took me 3 months to stop the autopay on my account too
They kept telling me it was stopped and yet they didn't do a thing to stop
it

>I understand that the latest PRL that was just released is 10026. I
>currently have 10025. How do I download PRL 10028. On Verizon I would use
>*228. What is the number to download PRL for SprintPCS?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -mij

March 13, 2005 4:51:37 PM

"cr" <cr_resources@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I too had problems with new prl 10026
> I called CS and was told my phone didn't need a new prl if I didn't get a
> voice prompt
> I asked if their was a new prl out.
> She informed me I should call #2 and request a prl update
> I told I did and it didn't work
> She told me again I don't need a PRl update
> I could tell my her tone of voice she was a bitch
> So I said thanks and goodbye and hung up the phone
> I then called my local Sprint store and they flagged my account and told me
> to call #2
> Now I have 10026 on my phone
> Where do they get these CS people
> It took me 3 months to stop the autopay on my account too
> They kept telling me it was stopped and yet they didn't do a thing to stop
> it

I don't know what the whole deal is/was, but I had had a hard time trying
to find out what version I had on my 3 phones (Sanyo 8200 with so confusing
menu). I heard about the *2 (STAR-2 *not* #2) and didn't get to nowhere.

Since Sprint store is just few blocks from my house, I stopped there and
asked how to upgrade the PRL version. Well, she just asked for my Phone #'s
then enabled the option in the computer (without touching my phone), then
all I need to do is pressing *2 to get PRL upgraded (upgrading PRK was the
first thing it did, before asking to chose between English/Spanish etc..)

I still don't know how to check for PRL version on my Sanyo 8200.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:00:41 AM

"Joel" <joe@Nospam.com> wrote in message

I don't know what the whole deal is/was, but I had had a hard time trying
to find out what version I had on my 3 phones (Sanyo 8200 with so confusing
menu). I heard about the *2 (STAR-2 *not* #2) and didn't get to nowhere.

Since Sprint store is just few blocks from my house, I stopped there and
asked how to upgrade the PRL version. Well, she just asked for my Phone #'s
then enabled the option in the computer (without touching my phone), then
all I need to do is pressing *2 to get PRL upgraded (upgrading PRK was the
first thing it did, before asking to chose between English/Spanish etc..)

I still don't know how to check for PRL version on my Sanyo 8200.

--------------------

Most, if not all the recent Sanyos have similar menus. On my 5300, the
option to find it is under "Phone Info", click OK. The sub menu shows
"Version". Have you scrolled all the way down your menu?

Bob
March 19, 2005 11:33:21 AM

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "Joel" <joe@Nospam.com> wrote in message
>
> I don't know what the whole deal is/was, but I had had a hard time trying
> to find out what version I had on my 3 phones (Sanyo 8200 with so confusing
> menu). I heard about the *2 (STAR-2 *not* #2) and didn't get to nowhere.
>
> Since Sprint store is just few blocks from my house, I stopped there and
> asked how to upgrade the PRL version. Well, she just asked for my Phone #'s
> then enabled the option in the computer (without touching my phone), then
> all I need to do is pressing *2 to get PRL upgraded (upgrading PRK was the
> first thing it did, before asking to chose between English/Spanish etc..)
>
> I still don't know how to check for PRL version on my Sanyo 8200.
>
> --------------------
>
> Most, if not all the recent Sanyos have similar menus. On my 5300, the
> option to find it is under "Phone Info", click OK. The sub menu shows
> "Version". Have you scrolled all the way down your menu?
>
> Bob

Thanks for the reply. But I can only be able to find the "My Phone #" but
can't find the "Phone Info". Yes, I scrolled Up/Down many times and
selected many options under Setting & Extra/Tools etc. but can't be able to
locate it.

I had 3 Verizon phones (don't remember the brands) and they were all so
easy to find just about any information I wanted. But this Sanyo is just
another story <g>
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 4:51:36 AM

"Joel" <joe@Nospam.com> wrote in message news:15319272.15316104@anonymous.com...

> Thanks for the reply. But I can only be able to find the "My Phone #" but
> can't find the "Phone Info". Yes, I scrolled Up/Down many times and
> selected many options under Setting & Extra/Tools etc. but can't be able to
> locate it.
>
> I had 3 Verizon phones (don't remember the brands) and they were all so
> easy to find just about any information I wanted. But this Sanyo is just
> another story <g>

Joel, I don't have an 8200, but the PRL (and more) on my older Sanyo
is under Menu > Settings > Display > Version.
March 21, 2005 12:41:05 AM

"John R. Copeland" <jcopelan@columbus.rr.aol.com> wrote:

> "Joel" <joe@Nospam.com> wrote in message news:15319272.15316104@anonymous.com...
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. But I can only be able to find the "My Phone #" but
> > can't find the "Phone Info". Yes, I scrolled Up/Down many times and
> > selected many options under Setting & Extra/Tools etc. but can't be able to
> > locate it.
> >
> > I had 3 Verizon phones (don't remember the brands) and they were all so
> > easy to find just about any information I wanted. But this Sanyo is just
> > another story <g>
>
> Joel, I don't have an 8200, but the PRL (and more) on my older Sanyo
> is under Menu > Settings > Display > Version.

Thanks, but still can't find it. Here is what I see.

Menu -> Settings -> Display

BackLight, Font Size, Background, Animation, Incoming Calls, Match Area
Code, and Standby Display

Sounds, Display, PCS Vision, Ready Link, Location, Roaming, Messaging,
Security, Others

Others = Any Key, Open/Close Flip, Abbr. Dial, Headset Mode, TTY, Side Key
Guard, My Shortcut, Airplane Mode, Set Time/Date, Language.

Well, I have this phone for over a year, but just can't find much from the
menu, so just use the option to enter the phone #'s, dial #'s etc..
April 1, 2005 10:59:15 AM

Hello Joel... I have three phones on my account (all Sanyo) (6400, 7400, &
8200).. You can look up your PRL version this way: Menu-Settings--Phone
Info--Version.. (Phone info is # 0 in settings) You can't see it
initially.. you have to scroll down one from "others".
Hope this helps..

Jason
Sprint PCS user Las Vegas, NV
April 1, 2005 11:01:44 AM

If anybody needs help with their Sanyo 7400, 8200, or 6400 (if people still
use the 6400) Just ask me and I'll try to help you out!

Jason
Sprint PCS user--Las Vegas, NV
April 2, 2005 3:31:05 AM

Jason <kenneyjason@sprintpcs.com> wrote:

> Hello Joel... I have three phones on my account (all Sanyo) (6400, 7400, &
> 8200).. You can look up your PRL version this way: Menu-Settings--Phone
> Info--Version.. (Phone info is # 0 in settings) You can't see it
> initially.. you have to scroll down one from "others".
> Hope this helps..
>
> Jason
> Sprint PCS user Las Vegas, NV

Still can't find it. I checked the the "Setting" -> "Others" and these
are what I see.

MENU
#7 = Setting
#9 = Others

Any Key Answer
Auto Answer
Open/Close Flip
Abbrev Dial
Headset Mode
TTY
Side Key Guard
My Shortcut
Airplane Mode
Set Time/Date
Language

That's it!
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 6:08:04 PM

"Joel" <joe@Nospam.com> wrote in message

Joel, per the Sanyo 7400 model, available on SPCS's site in PDF format, it
says:
Displaying the Version Information
To display the version number of the software,hardware,PRL
(Preferred Roaming List), PRI (Product Release Instructions), etc.,
installed on your Sprint PCS Phone:
1. Press Menu/OK to access the main menu.
2. Select Settings and press Menu/OK.
3. Select Phone Info and press Menu/OK.
4. Select Version and press Menu/OK.

That was on page 125 of 326.

The manual can be downloaded via http://tinyurl.com/4hmv5 . I suggest you
download the file and save it.

Bob
April 3, 2005 8:44:02 AM

Don't go into Others.... In the settings menu "Phone Info" is #0 (scroll
PAST others...) You'll find Phone Info there... then you'll find "Version"
April 5, 2005 8:37:40 PM

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

> "Joel" <joe@Nospam.com> wrote in message
>
> Joel, per the Sanyo 7400 model, available on SPCS's site in PDF format, it
> says:
> Displaying the Version Information
> To display the version number of the software,hardware,PRL
> (Preferred Roaming List), PRI (Product Release Instructions), etc.,
> installed on your Sprint PCS Phone:
> 1. Press Menu/OK to access the main menu.
> 2. Select Settings and press Menu/OK.
> 3. Select Phone Info and press Menu/OK.
> 4. Select Version and press Menu/OK.
>
> That was on page 125 of 326.
>
> The manual can be downloaded via http://tinyurl.com/4hmv5 . I suggest you
> download the file and save it.
>
> Bob

Thanks for the information and the link. But the problem that I have
Sanyo 8200, and I can't find the "Phone Info" from the "Setting" menu. I
believe I have PDF format for the phone (I download PDF manuals for many
hardwares to remember which one I have) and I don't think the manual cover
the "PRL"?? I will try to search for "PRL" again later see if I missed the
last time.

Thanks.
April 5, 2005 8:39:45 PM

Jason <kenneyjason@sprintpcs.com> wrote:

> Don't go into Others.... In the settings menu "Phone Info" is #0 (scroll
> PAST others...) You'll find Phone Info there... then you'll find "Version"

Argggggg... I hit the JACKPOT! thanks for opening my blinded eyes <g>
!