internet through LAN

G

i'm having trouble connecting my new system to my home LAN to connect to the internet. i have 2 other computers on the network and they both work fine. my old computer also worked fine. all the settings seem correct, but nada. i have two 3com NIC onboard my motherboard and they seem to be working properly. i have installed the drivers and they show no conflicts or anything. however running the diagnostics i cannot complete a network detection. also in network neighborhood the other computers do not appear. thirdly i seem to be able to send data but my network monitor never shows that i am recieving any.

i have also tried installing a pci network card but i get the same problem.

please help

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
This should be moved.

Are you using a gateway? Have it DHCPing? More info necessary?

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

G

so should 3/4 of the other posts in this section... at least this one is hardware related.

the router is setup as a DCHP server and i have my tcp/ip settings set to be assigned by a dhcp server. lmhhost lookup is enabled.

i believe the gateway is 10.0.0.1 as that is what the other systems on the network say. i don't really remember i set them up a long time ago. any way i have tried with and with out to no avail.

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
Hmm... I think this should be posted in peripherals/communications...

It doesn't matter that 3/4 of these posts might need to be moved (which is totally incorrect in the first place). You should follow the rules. Being a smartass will get you nowhere.

- I need someone to think me up a good sig...

Jusphil

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
can you ping the third machine?? use winipcfg to see what the adapter addresses are, then try to ping you gateway machine. the workgroups would keep it from appearing in network neighborhood, but searching for the PC name will show up regardless of the workgroup... to see the pc over the network for WIN you need to share a resource, make sure all of your protocols are the same,,, need more info

G

does winipcfg work in W2K? i tried it but it would go. ipconfig worked though. on the W2K machine i got a certain ip address and a certain subnet mask, but no default gateway.

on a different computer running Win98 i got an ip address a different subnet mask and a default gateway. also when i tried to renew the adapter i get a "DHCP server unavailable" error. however this machine seems to work fine over the network. at least i can connect to the internet, although i don't see the W2K machine on the network.

what other info should i provide? i'd be glad to supply it.

Red_Zealot

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Is your router canfigured to be a DHCP host for more than 2 systems?

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.

G

btw thanks for getting my thread bumped into a section no one reads. amazingly freddie has time to change the signature of the week about 3 times a year and does absolutely nothing about the huge flame wars that go on in the CPU thread not to mention all the threads about memory, chipsets and video cards. but somehow he has time to move a genuine question into an area with about 23x fewer visits to it. you are a real hero.

G

for anyone still interested i believe the problem to be a bad cable... unfortunately it runs through the wall of my house so i have to wait until saturday to have some one come check it out/replace it.