cpcpatrick

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2001
I would like to buy a new DVD-ROM. I am now considering Liteon, Asus, Artec. Which one is reliable and excellent compatibility in reading disc?

Thank you for yr suggestions.
Regards

alejandrolanza

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2003
Yes, the Liteon (LTD\XJ HD 166s) is great and superfast for audio\DVD extraction. However I have a little quirk with it, for CD reading this drive is super noisy, this is not a problem for most tasks, but if you use MP3 CDs in your PC it's a problem as it always keeps CD reading speeds very high; if you are not in front of your PC or hear very loud music it's ok, but if you're close and want to hear something like Billie Holiday, you'll go back to your older CD-ROM. One other thing, this drive tends to get very very hot with CD's, even my other drive that is below it ends up very hot. And good luck finding support from the actual company.

A.Lanza

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Lite-On is good but I don't have one. Mine is Asus DVD-E616, which is good. Though it's RCP2 protected but I don't need any region killer software but simply hold down the two buttons durng POST then I can reset the region code, both software and hardware. Still I support Lite-ON, go for it.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
For quality, style, ease of use and region free firmware I would go for the slot loading Pioneer DVD106 every time.

Doesn't sound like an aircraft taking off either when in high speed mode + has good DAE performance.

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :)

leon_the_pro

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
hi, i had a liteon and its s**t , Most my cd's doesnot work on it . iam not the only guy having the problem many of my friends have it too.

TRENDING THREADS