Sign in with
Your question

Poor Sound quality (Asus u36jc)

Last response: in Windows 7
June 24, 2012 11:20:15 AM

Hello Tom's Hardware Oracle,
I've got an issue and you guys are the sharpest forum on the web...

The sound on my laptop is HORRIBLE!
It sounds like everything is coming through a tube or from the other room. Especially bad on music with lyrics. The tune jumps out and the vocals sound like they're almost missing. With movies it's a bit better.

I'm on a Asus U36JC, windows 7, 64*, with Realtek HD- which is where I'm guessing the problem lies...
I've opened the Realtek HD Audio Manager and I notice that there are "sounds effects" that, when selected, makes the issue worse (seemingly in the same direction as the original issue) with effects like: "bathroom" and "cave".

Yes I've turned that option to "none" and yes I've tried to adjust the EQ as well. No good.

I've noticed that in my programs list, I've got 2 realtek programs running: "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver", and "Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver For Windows 7".
Maybe this is the issue?
What do you guys think?

Thank you all for any help you can offer=)
Anonymous
June 25, 2012 6:28:45 PM

It could be a driver problem. Follow this link to try and see if it helps: http://bit.ly/Kz4CTu
m
l
June 28, 2012 9:48:50 AM

Ok... Here's a weird addition...
Before the last (and only) reply, I had updated all of the drivers. Then I'm thinking that it wouldn't hurt to try that again...
So I go to update in device manager... sure enough windows has an update for it. Weird, (I think) but ok. I update.
Then, my Asus update manager pops and says I have another update for the same Realtek audio driver. O, k... and done.
Then, windows again has an up date for the same driver!
and then Asus again...
I record the info each is giving upon update and come to find that they are each "updating" back and forth or, competing for updates!
I've never experienced this before.
Any suggesting now?
(I'm wondering if anyone will read this thread now that it's a bit old... should I re-post?)
m
l
July 3, 2012 4:35:31 AM

I can't be of any help to you, but I'm interested in hearing what others suggest as I'm having what I think are similar problems with my audio. It's a new computer (Windows XP Pro), and the shop said everything was fine when they put it together, but when I got it home there was no sound at all (I use headphones). After much fiddling about with the settings I finally got some sound, but it is terrible. On vocal music it's as if I'm only hearing the instrumental track (and poor quality at that) with the vocals practically inaudible.

Looking foward to hearing from others!

onlinepersona said:
Hello Tom's Hardware Oracle,
I've got an issue and you guys are the sharpest forum on the web...

The sound on my laptop is HORRIBLE!
It sounds like everything is coming through a tube or from the other room. Especially bad on music with lyrics. The tune jumps out and the vocals sound like they're almost missing. With movies it's a bit better.

I'm on a Asus U36JC, windows 7, 64*, with Realtek HD- which is where I'm guessing the problem lies...
I've opened the Realtek HD Audio Manager and I notice that there are "sounds effects" that, when selected, makes the issue worse (seemingly in the same direction as the original issue) with effects like: "bathroom" and "cave".

Yes I've turned that option to "none" and yes I've tried to adjust the EQ as well. No good.

I've noticed that in my programs list, I've got 2 realtek programs running: "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver", and "Realtek Ethernet Controller Driver For Windows 7".
Maybe this is the issue?
What do you guys think?

Thank you all for any help you can offer=)

m
l
!