  • Cingular
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
February 28, 2005 12:22:31 PM

Does Sprint have coverage in the Grand Canyon (either native or roaming
coverage)? I am planning a trip there later this month.

-mij

Surprisingly, still no Verizon
coverage in Grand Canyon, and no roaming possible on Alltel's site there now
on the AC2 plan. Cingular does have coverage there, now.

More about : grand canyon coverage

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 4:38:37 PM

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
> Does Sprint have coverage in the Grand Canyon (either native or roaming
> coverage)? I am planning a trip there later this month.

Sprint tower maps =
http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/coverage/towermaps.ht...
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 6:32:46 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> Does Sprint have coverage in the Grand Canyon (either native or roaming
> coverage)? I am planning a trip there later this month.

There's partial native, partial roaming coverage.

Mij, perhaps you should check the SPCS website for these things? The
site does allow you to pick a state, and then select cities in that
state to get a map view of coverage.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
February 28, 2005 6:32:47 PM

I do not trust the Sprint cell map site. It will not even display the
coverage map for the LA area. When I click on LA, I do not see a map and
therefore I question the accuracy of the maps for other areas.

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>> Does Sprint have coverage in the Grand Canyon (either native or roaming
>> coverage)? I am planning a trip there later this month.
>
> There's partial native, partial roaming coverage.
>
> Mij, perhaps you should check the SPCS website for these things? The site
> does allow you to pick a state, and then select cities in that state to
> get a map view of coverage.
>
> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 7:23:20 PM

I can view the LA map. Maybe you need a newer java program or
something? I remember I couldn't view the maps until I downloaded a
special program for it.
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 8:16:00 PM

Larry,

Please tell me how you can view the LA map? I downloaded and installed the
latest JAVA and have tired with both Internet Explorer and the Firefox
browsers. I would really like to see that map because I live in the OC area.

Thanks,

-mij

<larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I can view the LA map. Maybe you need a newer java program or
> something? I remember I couldn't view the maps until I downloaded a
> special program for it.

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 8:47:55 PM

I can view it on both internet explorer 6.0 and netscape 7.2. I also
have the latest java web start program (version 1.4.2_06). All of the
maps work for me. I have no idea why they don't work for everyone.
But I've heard others complain about not being able to view them
either.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 11:47:07 AM

I can view some of the maps in other states however I cannot view most of
the California maps. Does anyone have any idea what is up with this?

>I can view it on both internet explorer 6.0 and netscape 7.2. I also
> have the latest java web start program (version 1.4.2_06). All of the
> maps work for me. I have no idea why they don't work for everyone.
> But I've heard others complain about not being able to view them
> either.

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 6:39:48 PM

Did you try deleting all history and cache files in your web browser
then restarting your computer? Sometimes that works for me.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 6:58:05 PM

I'm pretty sure there is no Sprint native coverage at the Grand Canyon.
Only roaming on Alltel.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 7:12:35 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> I do not trust the Sprint cell map site.

But you trust usenet? Curious, that.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
March 2, 2005 7:12:36 PM

I trust the actual experience of people that have been in the Grand Canyon
with a Sprint Phone. :-)
From what I understand on sprintusers.com, those maps are wayu out-of-date.

> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>> I do not trust the Sprint cell map site.
>

> But you trust usenet? Curious, that.
>

> --
> E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
> Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 8:39:29 PM

Is the roaming in digital or analog mode?

> I'm pretty sure there is no Sprint native coverage at the Grand Canyon.
> Only roaming on Alltel.

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 8:46:07 AM

The Coverage Locator on the Verizon Wireless website shows "Extended
Digital" coverage at Grand Canyon Village, AZ (the south rim).
"Extended Digital" means digital roaming on some other carrier. So
someone has CDMA there.

It could be Alltel, who is the A-side CDMA carrier there and with whom
Sprint has roaming arrangements elsewhere. Or it could be the B-side
CDMA carrier Mohave Wireless. There is a current thread about them in
the alt.cellular.verizon newsgroup. They're 40% owned by Verizon, so
Verizon is probably roaming on them.

The Flagstaff, AZ map on the Sprint website just shows roaming (west of
Tuba City). So I guess none of this indicates if Sprint has analog or
digital roaming there. Have a nice trip and let us know what you find.

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> Is the roaming in digital or analog mode?
>
> <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm pretty sure there is no Sprint native coverage at the Grand Canyon.
>>Only roaming on Alltel.

March 6, 2005 4:34:11 AM

In article <qsIUd.89326$bu.37621@fed1read06>, "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:
>Does Sprint have coverage in the Grand Canyon (either native or roaming
>coverage)? I am planning a trip there later this month.

I was in the Grand Canyon about 2 years ago (South Rim). I vaguely remember
that Sprint's coverage was very spotty, but there was roaming available, even
part way down into the canyon itself. So make sure you have a roaming
option set up on your Sprint account before you go, either FCA or at least
a roaming bundle.
!