Sign in with
Your question

Connecting a wireless router to another wireless router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 23, 2013 5:14:05 PM

Hi guys, I'm trying to add another wireless router to my network. It's a home network using a Charter cable modem/wireless router in the main house. To connect a second building to the router I have used a CAT-6 cable to connect to the modem/router combo, I need to do this because the second building has a metal roof and doesn't allow wireless connection to the cable modem. I want to be able to use wireless in the second building.

My question is, the CAT-6 cable coming into the second building from the cable modem/router is coming from a LAN port. Would I connect that cable into the WAN port of the second wireless router or into a LAN port?

Cable modem LAN ---->second building----> Second Wireless router

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
February 23, 2013 10:00:31 PM

steeltimberwolf said:
Hi guys, I'm trying to add another wireless router to my network. It's a home network using a Charter cable modem/wireless router in the main house. To connect a second building to the router I have used a CAT-6 cable to connect to the modem/router combo, I need to do this because the second building has a metal roof and doesn't allow wireless connection to the cable modem. I want to be able to use wireless in the second building.

My question is, the CAT-6 cable coming into the second building from the cable modem/router is coming from a LAN port. Would I connect that cable into the WAN port of the second wireless router or into a LAN port?

Cable modem LAN ---->second building----> Second Wireless router

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Couldnt you just try both ports when you're wiring it up to see which one works? Plugging one router into another will work fine as long as its plugged in correctly.
m
l
Related resources
!