Sign in with
Your question

Connecting PC both wired AND wirelessly

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 23, 2013 7:24:42 PM

I am trying to do something which seems like it should be simple as pie on paper, but is turning out to be a logistical nightmare.

I need to connect a PC to a wireless network. The router, however, is several floors up... too far for even a repeater to send a strong enough signal, especially since the floors and walls are quite thick. I can go wired with an ethernet cable, however, due to aesthetic reasons and the nature of the room where the router is located, I cannot run the cable from the PC all the way to the router -- I have to stop about 12 feet short of the router and go wireless the rest off the distance.

The first thing I did was buy an Anker repeater, plug it into the AC outlet in the same room as the router where it got 100% signal strength, and ran an ethernet cable from the repeater down through the walls to the PC. When run in Client Mode, the Anker product was supposed to do exactly what I needed it to do, except it didn't work. (Long story short.... tech support couldn't get it to work, deemed it defective, sent out another unit, ran into the same problems, returned both units.)

So my next plan was to use a USB network adapter and connect it to my PC via active USB cables chained together. But then I read that Wi-Fi devices do not work on active USB cables.

So then I was looking at USB-to-Ethernet adapters, and found some powered ones that run in the $300+ range. Seriously?

I'm an audio recording engineer, not a computer networking whiz, so I'm a little bit out of my league here. I'm hoping someone out there knows of the right products that will get me the internet connection I need.

What would you do in my situation? If you had a computer on the bottom floor of a building and needed a strong internet connection to a wireless router on the top floor, and although you were allowed to run any kind of cabling between the floors as needed, you were NOT allowed to physically run the cabling into the router, what would you do?

Thanks!
!