Manual for Sennheiser K3U/ME80 anyone?

Last response: in Home Audio
March 21, 2005 9:03:44 AM

Anyone have a manual for the Sennheiser K3U mic body/PSU or the ME80
capsule? I'm trying to find the manufacturer's "recommended" phantom
power requirement. I want to know whether they actually require 48V or
if they'll work to spec with less (and if less, how *much* less).

Thanks!

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 11:09:37 AM

In article <4tt%d.83484$fc4.62210@edtnps89>,
"Lorin David Schultz" <Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote:

> Anyone have a manual for the Sennheiser K3U mic body/PSU or the ME80
> capsule? I'm trying to find the manufacturer's "recommended" phantom
> power requirement.

Specs for K3U in my Revue 13 say "12-48v".

--
Regards,

Klay Anderson
http://www.klay.com
+801-942-8346
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:02:37 PM

In article <4tt%d.83484$fc4.62210@edtnps89>,
Lorin David Schultz <Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote:
>Anyone have a manual for the Sennheiser K3U mic body/PSU or the ME80
>capsule? I'm trying to find the manufacturer's "recommended" phantom
>power requirement. I want to know whether they actually require 48V or
>if they'll work to spec with less (and if less, how *much* less).

Won't the ME80 run on a battery?
--scott

March 21, 2005 12:21:41 PM

news:D 1mk5t$gp3$1@panix2.panix.com...
> In article <4tt%d.83484$fc4.62210@edtnps89>,
> Lorin David Schultz <Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote:
>>Anyone have a manual for the Sennheiser K3U mic body/PSU or the ME80
>>capsule? I'm trying to find the manufacturer's "recommended" phantom
>>power requirement. I want to know whether they actually require 48V or
>>if they'll work to spec with less (and if less, how *much* less).
>
> Won't the ME80 run on a battery?

Yes. An SPX23, IIRC. 3.6 volts.

Steve King
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 6:09:42 PM

Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
> In article <4tt%d.83484$fc4.62210@edtnps89>,
> Lorin David Schultz <Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote:
>>Anyone have a manual for the Sennheiser K3U mic body/PSU or the ME80
>>capsule? I'm trying to find the manufacturer's "recommended" phantom
>>power requirement. I want to know whether they actually require 48V or
>>if they'll work to spec with less (and if less, how *much* less).

> Won't the ME80 run on a battery?

Yes, those 4.5 V mercury things which are difficult to get. In fact, an
AV guy once told me that trick around that was you could put in three
button cells in a pinch since they just about fit right.

Rob R.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 6:09:43 PM

In article <d1mo3m$tvk$1@news1.chem.utoronto.ca>,
Rob Reedijk <reedijk@hera.med.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>Scott Dorsey <kludge@panix.com> wrote:
>> In article <4tt%d.83484$fc4.62210@edtnps89>,
>> Lorin David Schultz <Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote:
>>>Anyone have a manual for the Sennheiser K3U mic body/PSU or the ME80
>>>capsule? I'm trying to find the manufacturer's "recommended" phantom
>>>power requirement. I want to know whether they actually require 48V or
>>>if they'll work to spec with less (and if less, how *much* less).
>
>> Won't the ME80 run on a battery?
>
>Yes, those 4.5 V mercury things which are difficult to get. In fact, an
>AV guy once told me that trick around that was you could put in three
>button cells in a pinch since they just about fit right.

I _think_ that a Eveready PX12 is a reasonable replacement. It will not
last as long, though. But since the mercury cells are no longer legal to
make or import in the US, the supply has mostly dried up.
--scott
March 21, 2005 7:55:46 PM

"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> Won't the ME80 run on a battery?

Sure, if you can find one.

The fact that it *will* run on a battery is what makes me suspect I can
get away with less than 48V. I just don't know how much less.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 7:56:56 PM

"Klay Anderson" <klay@klay.com> wrote:

> Specs for K3U in my Revue 13 say "12-48v".

Thanks a million Klay. That's what I was looking for.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 7:56:57 PM

"Lorin David Schultz" <Lorin@DAMNSPAM!v5v.ca> wrote in message
> "Klay Anderson" <klay@klay.com> wrote:
>>
>> Specs for K3U in my Revue 13 say "12-48v".
>

> Thanks a million Klay. That's what I was looking for.

The sticker inside my K3U specifies the PX23 battery, a mercury type which
is no longer available. The PX23, according to the Sennheiser sticker
inside the K3U specifies the battery voltage as 5.6 volts. As I said in my
earlier post, the SPX23, is a perfect fit. It is rated at 6 volts, not the
3.6 volts I erroneously stated earlier. The K3U also works perfectly on
standard 48 volt phantom power. As far as battery life, I've used the
microphone on location for about 15 hours since putting in a new battery.
The battery still measures 6 volts. So, I think battery life should be
pretty good. I hope this helps.

Steve King
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 12:58:19 PM

> Anyone have a manual for the Sennheiser K3U mic body/PSU or the ME80
> capsule? I'm trying to find the manufacturer's "recommended" phantom
> power requirement. I want to know whether they actually require 48V or if
> they'll work to spec with less (and if less, how *much* less).

I run one from my desk with 48Vphanton powering. You do need any old PE23
battery in the battery slot though.

Peter Hill
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 6:44:36 PM

"Peter Hill" <foxgloveaudio@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I run one from my desk with 48Vphanton powering.

I run mine fine with 48V too. I was trying to find out whether it would
work with a device I was considering purchasing on eBay that only
delivers 12V phantom.

> You do need any old PE23 battery in the battery slot though.

Mine works fine with no battery inserted.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)
March 23, 2005 3:45:04 AM

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:58:19 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Hill"
<foxgloveaudio@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I run one from my desk with 48Vphanton powering. You do need any old PE23
>battery in the battery slot though.

Same here.
April 20, 2008 11:18:04 PM

I have severael old K3u/ME40 mics. They dont require a battery if you have teh powering switch in the correct position. They did make some K3 powering units with no phantom. I think they were marginally cheaper than the phantom capable units.
Anonymous
November 30, 2009 6:23:23 PM

I have a Sennheiser ME 80 with K3U power plug, and have worked it on both 48V and 18V fantom power.
December 23, 2009 3:39:25 AM

Good news dudes! I got a Sennheiser ME 80 with the camera I bought on ebay and needed new batteries, but it turns out that on ebay a place called Batteries In A Flash has a battery called the Exell Silver Oxide S23PX which is a direct replacement for the mercury battery. I was just using the mic a few hours ago when recording my guitar onto the Mac and the sound clarity is fantastic. The battery clearly is doing the job that the old mercury battery was meant to be doing.

Best of luck..

Michael Daeché
!