Sign in with
Your question

How to setup two routers so u got encrypted & open wifi?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 23, 2013 9:56:03 PM

I want to have an encrypted secure wifi ap for my place but i want to also offer open wifi for everyone else, and i got two wireless routers, can i just plug one open router into an encrypted one? How can i do this so that i dont compromise the security of my encrypted wifi?
February 28, 2013 7:27:20 AM

What a useless forum.
m
l
February 28, 2013 7:28:06 AM

Oh wait, cue forum cheerleader to tell me how wrong i am and that now they're not going to answer my question.
m
l
January 8, 2014 10:05:17 AM

You can configure both routers to have a different ip address range and even use mac addressing on the encrypted router so noone can connect to the encrypted router except for the computers that are added to the mac address table. (If your router has this feature)

For the router you want to have as an open wifi access, you can stillprogram it to have a low level of security so your avergae joe schmoe doesnt get to use your internet access. If they do it still shows as coming from your ip address and you are the one responsible for it. It really comes down to how much access you want to let people have, also keeping in mind that if you leave the guest wireless unsecured, you can walk around and check how far out the signal goes and maybe it doesn't really leave your yard/house. In that case it would be pretty obvious if someone was standing outside on their laptop or smartphone using it. There are always options, many of them come down to how much you know and ho wmuch you want to protecct your access. If you are in an apartment or condo, I would strongly recommend locking it down as best you can because you would never really be able to tell who is accessing it.
m
l
!