palm does not power up/charge

June 27, 2004 6:43:34 PM

Hi,

I have recently acquired a Palm IIIc which does not start up. I have
checked the power adaptor and the cradle. There is 5V dc on the cradle
between the last 2 pins on the right of the connector which presumably
means that the cradle is providing power to the palm. I do not know
how should proceed to isolate the problem in the palm. It could be a
dead battery or a damaged part. How can I find out? Is there any
details/troubleshooting guide that I can use. I am adaquately adept
with electronics with accessible tools and would like to repair this
unit myself.

Any advice or pointer to useful information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rahul

More about : palm power charge

Anonymous
June 28, 2004 3:30:06 AM

On 27 Jun 2004 14:43:34 -0700, Rahul Agarwal had this to say...

> Hi,
>
> I have recently acquired a Palm IIIc which does not start up. I have
> checked the power adaptor and the cradle. There is 5V dc on the cradle
> between the last 2 pins on the right of the connector which presumably
> means that the cradle is providing power to the palm. I do not know
> how should proceed to isolate the problem in the palm. It could be a
> dead battery or a damaged part. How can I find out? Is there any
> details/troubleshooting guide that I can use. I am adaquately adept
> with electronics with accessible tools and would like to repair this
> unit myself.
>
> Any advice or pointer to useful information will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Rahul

The battery charge controller is located in the PalmC. It uses registers
to store 'charge profiles' that do get corrupted from time to time.
Set the PalmC in the cradle and poke the reset hole and leave it in the
cradle for 4 hours without turning it on. This procedure is supposed to
replace the corrupted registers with a know good profile.
The usable life of the batteries is 3-4 years, they may be history.
Goto <http://tinyurl.com/2dzf7&gt; (GetHighTech) have replacements in stock
and directions on how to replace them.
A google search will find other vendors.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

gethightech.com has parts for many Palm dirivatives and the provide
instructions for various repairs. They are probably a good source for
what will probably turn out to be a totaly dead battery.

--
Thank a veteran

Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b49145bb5e8291f989777@news.frontiernet.net>...
> Set the PalmC in the cradle and poke the reset hole and leave it in the
> cradle for 4 hours without turning it on. This procedure is supposed to
> replace the corrupted registers with a know good profile.

Thanks for the tip. The hard reset revived my palm which I had assumed was dead.

Thanks again,
Rahul
!