xp password

i gotta problem.
i have a computer at the office running xp home edition. the person is logged on as the only user, administrator.
there is no password rescue disk.
however i don't know what the password is and the person just quit the company.
is there anyway i can bypass this setup so i can have access to all the programs & the files. the person won't tell us what it was. they left under bad circumstances.

i can't afford to wipe out the hard drive. i checked microsoft's web sit and i found nothing on it.

please help, my boss is getting very upset!!!!!
15 answers Last reply
More about password
  1. you said they're already logged on? What, is the screensaver password protecting it?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
  2. I assume XP is installed using the entire partition, in this case, try taking out the hard drive, install it into another computer with a NTFS OS, boot with the other computer's NTFS OS as an administrator, then you'll have full access to everything.
  3. you log on as admin? strange thing to do!, are there any other user accoutns at all?

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
  4. clarification:
    1st of all let me say the this is going on at another branch of the company and i was informed about it 2 days ago.

they are the only person that uses the computer. when he left he turned off the computer and left. i didn't know that no one else knew the password. the computer is currently off but no one can logg into it. the password hint does not help anyone.

there are no other users accounts on the machine because of the nature of what he does.

i happen to have access to just about every os, except me.
    i also have boot disks for everything includeing dos.

i'd appreciate any help.
  5. unfortunately, I think you are stuck, the password crackers I have seen all need you to be logged onto the pc as a user. Even if you carry out sensitive work, it is still good practice to create a user with apropriate rights rather than logging on as admin. All I can suggest at this time is to put the hdd(s) into a working system and try to recover the data that way.

6. ditto - just pop the drive into another box running 2K and grab what you need. Easy.

7. Isn't that what I posted...?
  8. thanks for the help. i have a computer at home that's running 2k, its one i'm selling to my nephew. the machine in question is a dell. i'll give it a shot.
  9. <A HREF="http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/erdcommander2002.asp" target="_new">This </A> is an expensive solution but it will work every time you need it. Also a lot of interesting freeware at this site.

Although it has a lot of good ideas, beer doesn't know anything about computers!!!
  10. no...the computer is probably locked (like in win 2k...you press ctrl + alt + del then click on lock computer to lock it)....even if you logged off (by hard reboot)...the computer will still lock you out...thats a tuffy...
    i personally dont know how to get around it....my guess...install win 98 onto the same HD and boot from win 98...that is if the driver is formatted with FAT32...if not...then i dunno what to say.

<b><font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s drivers are like a broken faucet, they both keep on leaking...</b> :cool:
  11. yup. Thats why I said "ditto"

12. I have just fixed the same problem for a friend. He only ever logs in as administrator (I think it's an ego thing) there are no other accounts on the system and he changed the password when drunk because one of his other friends had seen him type it. Well guess what, he had no idea what he had changed it to. I have a copy of the software I linked to earlier and it took me 2 mins to change the administrator password from what ever it was to imstupid. I’m surprised some of you don't have a copy of this as it is a wonderful tool; all you really need is the ability to boot from CD.

Although it has a lot of good ideas, beer doesn't know anything about computers!!!
  13. how big is this software? any chance of a copy of it ? (im sure I'll find something to trade if needed(, please drop me a mail if this is possible

calv@fuckyou.co.uk

14. No that would be illegal, just what kind of a guy do you think i am. For more about how i feel about this sort of thing, check your email.

He He

15. I'll check mail when I get home, thanks for the warning about it being illegal, I wasnt aware of this ;)

Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Office Windows XP