The book man again

Last response: in Home Audio
March 21, 2005 8:33:32 PM

My purpose is to make my computer able to record voice such that I can make
a book-on-tape of my novel. Great! Last week I posted and many of you
helped a lot. The problem is that there was soooooooooo much white nose
that I could hardly hear the voice. It was recomended that my first get a
mic preamp which I did. I folloowed the recomendations and got a M-Audio
mobile pre USB. Thjat is cool in that I can use it through my usb ports
rather than the sound card. Also, is XLR and that works with my mic without
and adapter.

THe noise has been cut to less than half, which is a big first step. But
there is still too much to make a descent recording. I'm hoping to get a
next step for the experts, you guys and gals.

Keep in mind, I am not looking for perfection, just something that is
reasonably good.

The mic is an Audiotechnia ATM41A. Sound Blaster Audigy 2 24 bit card.
software, SoundForge.

Thanks in advance

Holden

More about : book man

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 8:33:33 PM

Are you getting enough signal level into your sound card? In
Soundforge, does the waveform look pretty big?

Al

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:33:32 GMT, "Holden" <holden@powerverbs.com>
wrote:

>My purpose is to make my computer able to record voice such that I can make
>a book-on-tape of my novel. Great! Last week I posted and many of you
>helped a lot. The problem is that there was soooooooooo much white nose
>that I could hardly hear the voice. It was recomended that my first get a
>mic preamp which I did. I folloowed the recomendations and got a M-Audio
>mobile pre USB. Thjat is cool in that I can use it through my usb ports
>rather than the sound card. Also, is XLR and that works with my mic without
>and adapter.
>
>THe noise has been cut to less than half, which is a big first step. But
>there is still too much to make a descent recording. I'm hoping to get a
>next step for the experts, you guys and gals.
>
>Keep in mind, I am not looking for perfection, just something that is
>reasonably good.
>
>The mic is an Audiotechnia ATM41A. Sound Blaster Audigy 2 24 bit card.
>software, SoundForge.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Holden

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 8:33:33 PM

Holden wrote:

<snip>

>THe noise has been cut to less than half, which is a big first step. But
>there is still too much to make a descent recording. I'm hoping to get a
>next step for the experts, you guys and gals.

Your probelm could be a case of "garbage in, garbage out" in the form of
noise in the room. Is your mic located close enough to your computer that
the mic is hearing the noise created by the computer's fan(s)? Recordings
have a way of revealing environmental noises that most people ignore when
using only their ears.

<snip>

| two, one and one make one."
mkesti@gv.net | - The Who, Bargain
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:12:42 PM

"Holden" <holden@powerverbs.com> wrote in message

> THe noise has been cut to less than half, which is a big first step. But
> there is still too much to make a descent recording. I'm hoping to get a
> next step for the experts, you guys and gals.
>
> Keep in mind, I am not looking for perfection, just something that is
> reasonably good.
>
> The mic is an Audiotechnia ATM41A. Sound Blaster Audigy 2 24 bit card.
> software, SoundForge.

Where are you placing the microphone? And is the output of the preamp
running into the line input of the Audigy card?

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 6:21:14 AM

"Holden" <holden@powerverbs.com> wrote in message

> THe noise has been cut to less than half, which is a big first step. But
> there is still too much to make a descent recording. I'm hoping to get a
> next step for the experts, you guys and gals.

You need to learn about good "gain staging" (search Google).
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 10:49:02 AM

He said the M-Audio was using USB. My guess is it's his gain structuring,
which could be bettered by reading the RAP FAQ at www.recaudiopro.net.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio