Should I get treo 650?

Last response: in Network Providers
March 2, 2005 8:17:00 AM

I've been putting off getting the Treo 650 because the reviews have not
been great. The main reasons why I wanted the phone:

1. It has bluetooth DUN (if you hack it)
2. Check e-mail
3. Don't want to carry around PDA and cell phone.
4. PDA functionality is good

The main downsides I can see:

1. Reception is questionable
2. Dialing contacts is slow (this would really annoy me)
3. Software is not good, causes OS reboots
4. New memory scheme is stupid and wasteful

I have two questions, 1. does anyone have general input on what they
think about this device, and 2. is there any alternative choice from
sprint that does all of 1-4?

More about : treo 650

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 7:29:14 PM

jljackson wrote:
> I've been putting off getting the Treo 650 because the reviews have not
> been great. The main reasons why I wanted the phone:
>
> 1. It has bluetooth DUN (if you hack it)
> 2. Check e-mail
> 3. Don't want to carry around PDA and cell phone.
> 4. PDA functionality is good
>
> The main downsides I can see:
>
> 1. Reception is questionable

Questionable? I have a Treo 650 and reception has been better than my
previous Sanyo phones.

> 2. Dialing contacts is slow (this would really annoy me)

It's a one second delay. If this annoys you, welll, you need to slow
down in life. :)

> 3. Software is not good, causes OS reboots

This seems to be a problem on any Palm device if you just upgrade to a
ew model and the force-sync all of your old apps and information onto
the new device. I started resh wtih my 650, and I know tohers who have,
and they are not getting the reboots.

> 4. New memory scheme is stupid and wasteful

I'll be sure to try and remember that when I swap batteries and don't
have to re-sync to restore the data I didn't lose. :)

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
March 2, 2005 10:48:55 PM

"jljackson" <jackson.jon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been putting off getting the Treo 650 because the reviews have not
> been great.

I've been reading almost nothing but raves about this device. That said, I
have one and it's good but AFAIC doesn't quite live up to the hype.

is there any alternative choice from
> sprint that does all of 1-4?

You might consider the PPC-6600 if you don't mind Windows. I've toyed with
it and it's pretty nice, though I'm not sure I want something even larger
than the Treo. Looks like they have camera and non-camera versions now, too
http://www.sprint.com/business/products/phones/ppc6600_...
March 4, 2005 2:07:06 PM

Is there any plan to bring the 7100t to Sprint? I like the form
factor, and I like push e-mail. I didn't want to get a blackberry
because I didn't want to have to use 2 devices, and that blackberry
that sprint offers is too bulky.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 7:41:45 PM

jljackson wrote:
> Is there any plan to bring the 7100t to Sprint?

I hope not! I tried the 7100t. What a terrible design.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
March 6, 2005 2:40:41 PM

On 2 Mar 2005 05:17:00 -0800, "jljackson" <jackson.jon@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I've been putting off getting the Treo 650 because the reviews have not
>been great. The main reasons why I wanted the phone:
>
>1. It has bluetooth DUN (if you hack it)
>2. Check e-mail
>3. Don't want to carry around PDA and cell phone.
>4. PDA functionality is good

I purchased one 6 weeks ago and LOVE it. It's the best phone purchase
I ever made. (I needed to replace my PDA since it got destroyed -
long story.) For just a tad bit more than a new Tungsten I got a
phone as well.

1. DUN Works fine with the hack. You may have to reboot the phone to
turn off Vision services first, but it's not a big deal. (I only use
this if I have to download a file and I happen to be sitting in an
airport.) For e-mail it's easier to just download it to the phone.

2. I can't say how much better e-mail is on this phone in comparision
to any device I've used in the past. I can't stress enough how nice
it is to actually have a KEYBOARD and not have to deal with the T9
stuff from traditional phones.

3. Yes .... I no longer look like "Batman" with a gazillion devices
and cables.

4. PDA functionality is fantastic. (It's a PalmOS device afterall!)
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 8:54:17 PM

On of the main causes of resets was found by a developer named Jeff Gibson.
There is a bug in the Palm OS that is triggered when you have the phone set
to get the time from the network. This will cause apps that check the time
for alarms, etc. to crash. When you disable the network time, most
everything works just fine.
Check the discussion forums at http://www.treocentral.com . Most of your
questions/concerns will be addressed there.
Zane

!