Should I get treo 650?

I've been putting off getting the Treo 650 because the reviews have not
been great. The main reasons why I wanted the phone:

1. It has bluetooth DUN (if you hack it)
2. Check e-mail
3. Don't want to carry around PDA and cell phone.
4. PDA functionality is good

The main downsides I can see:

1. Reception is questionable
2. Dialing contacts is slow (this would really annoy me)
3. Software is not good, causes OS reboots
4. New memory scheme is stupid and wasteful

I have two questions, 1. does anyone have general input on what they
think about this device, and 2. is there any alternative choice from
sprint that does all of 1-4?
6 answers Last reply
More about should treo

    jljackson wrote:
    > I've been putting off getting the Treo 650 because the reviews have not
    > been great. The main reasons why I wanted the phone:
    >
    > 1. It has bluetooth DUN (if you hack it)
    > 2. Check e-mail
    > 3. Don't want to carry around PDA and cell phone.
    > 4. PDA functionality is good
    >
    > The main downsides I can see:
    >
    > 1. Reception is questionable

    Questionable? I have a Treo 650 and reception has been better than my
    previous Sanyo phones.

    > 2. Dialing contacts is slow (this would really annoy me)

    It's a one second delay. If this annoys you, welll, you need to slow
    down in life. :)

    > 3. Software is not good, causes OS reboots

    This seems to be a problem on any Palm device if you just upgrade to a
    ew model and the force-sync all of your old apps and information onto
    the new device. I started resh wtih my 650, and I know tohers who have,
    and they are not getting the reboots.

    > 4. New memory scheme is stupid and wasteful

    I'll be sure to try and remember that when I swap batteries and don't
    have to re-sync to restore the data I didn't lose. :)

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    "jljackson" <jackson.jon@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've been putting off getting the Treo 650 because the reviews have not
    > been great.

    I've been reading almost nothing but raves about this device. That said, I
    have one and it's good but AFAIC doesn't quite live up to the hype.

    is there any alternative choice from
    > sprint that does all of 1-4?

    You might consider the PPC-6600 if you don't mind Windows. I've toyed with
    it and it's pretty nice, though I'm not sure I want something even larger
    than the Treo. Looks like they have camera and non-camera versions now, too
    http://www.sprint.com/business/products/phones/ppc6600_allPcsPhones.jsp

    Is there any plan to bring the 7100t to Sprint? I like the form
    factor, and I like push e-mail. I didn't want to get a blackberry
    because I didn't want to have to use 2 devices, and that blackberry
    that sprint offers is too bulky.

    jljackson wrote:
    > Is there any plan to bring the 7100t to Sprint?

    I hope not! I tried the 7100t. What a terrible design.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    On 2 Mar 2005 05:17:00 -0800, "jljackson" <jackson.jon@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I've been putting off getting the Treo 650 because the reviews have not
    >been great. The main reasons why I wanted the phone:
    >
    >1. It has bluetooth DUN (if you hack it)
    >2. Check e-mail
    >3. Don't want to carry around PDA and cell phone.
    >4. PDA functionality is good

    I purchased one 6 weeks ago and LOVE it. It's the best phone purchase
    I ever made. (I needed to replace my PDA since it got destroyed -
    long story.) For just a tad bit more than a new Tungsten I got a
    phone as well.

    1. DUN Works fine with the hack. You may have to reboot the phone to
    turn off Vision services first, but it's not a big deal. (I only use
    this if I have to download a file and I happen to be sitting in an
    airport.) For e-mail it's easier to just download it to the phone.

    2. I can't say how much better e-mail is on this phone in comparision
    to any device I've used in the past. I can't stress enough how nice
    it is to actually have a KEYBOARD and not have to deal with the T9
    stuff from traditional phones.

    3. Yes .... I no longer look like "Batman" with a gazillion devices
    and cables.

    4. PDA functionality is fantastic. (It's a PalmOS device afterall!)

    On of the main causes of resets was found by a developer named Jeff Gibson.
    There is a bug in the Palm OS that is triggered when you have the phone set
    to get the time from the network. This will cause apps that check the time
    for alarms, etc. to crash. When you disable the network time, most
    everything works just fine.
    Check the discussion forums at http://www.treocentral.com . Most of your
    questions/concerns will be addressed there.
    Zane

    jljackson wrote:

    > I've been putting off getting the Treo 650 because the reviews have not
    > been great. The main reasons why I wanted the phone:
    >
    > 1. It has bluetooth DUN (if you hack it)
    > 2. Check e-mail
    > 3. Don't want to carry around PDA and cell phone.
    > 4. PDA functionality is good
    >
    > The main downsides I can see:
    >
    > 1. Reception is questionable
    > 2. Dialing contacts is slow (this would really annoy me)
    > 3. Software is not good, causes OS reboots
    > 4. New memory scheme is stupid and wasteful
    >
    > I have two questions, 1. does anyone have general input on what they
    > think about this device, and 2. is there any alternative choice from
    > sprint that does all of 1-4?

Sprint PCS Treo Internet Service Providers