PC is somehow blocking connection

NomadCZ

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
Hello, I have a problem.
I have 2 computers, one desktop and a laptop. My father has a laptop too. We are all connected to a wireless network. Our internet is UPC Fiber Power 120 (up to 120mbps). On mine and father's laptops, we can get up to 80 mbps, but on my desktop PC, I can't get past 20. Usually I get around 14. It's really annoying, because while playing games on my desktop pc, everything is lagging and I have very high ping (usually up to 300), while on my laptop everything's fine and fast.

Our Router is D-Link Dir-605l, my wireless card in my desktop PC is Edimax EW-7128g.
My specs are:
Win 7 64 bit
Core 2 Duo E8400
GTX 560
6 GB DDR2 RAM

Not even restarting the router helps.

That would be close to the expected rate for a 802.11g connection. You seldom get much more than 1/2 the maximum speed. I would suspect the 2 laptops have newer wireless cards that support 802.11n.

First you could try a direct cable to the router to ensure you don't have a software issue like a virus or malware. Then I would replace the wireless card. 802.11g can run a maximum of 54m and you will almost never actually get that. It also if you try to run it at the same time as the laptops will cause them to slow down also because they will not be allowed to use the advanced N features.

NomadCZ

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I left a full scan by malware bytes overnight, it found 2 trojans, but that hasn't solved anything. I'll buy a new card and see if the problem persists. They seem to be very cheap, that's good. Thank you for your advices :)

TRENDING THREADS