LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Having received no help from anyone regarding my poor hard disk performance and since maxtor sucks... I have decided to replace my current main HD. I was wondering if anyone out there actually baught the raptor yet so I can see what their oppinions are.

It's either that or 2 40 gig WDJB drives in raid...

Any ideas??

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I doubt you need a new hard disk...

When's the last time you defragmented it?
Fragmentation slows drives down quite noticeably.

If you use one of the advanced defragmenting tools it can also re-order the files and further reduce head travel (seek) which also hits performance pretty hard.

you didn't say which os you are on so I'm gonna guess it's not 9x.
Here's a link to a good defrag tool for Win2k or XP
<A HREF="http://www.oo-software.com/english/products/oodefragv4/index.html" target="_new">http://www.oo-software.com/english/products/oodefragv4/index.html</A>

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
here is my first post...

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=76867#76867

The drive is performing considerably poorly. It's litterally slowing my system down. Win XP. Yes I know I'm not a rookie. Full defrag using windows and norton. I clean swept unused sectors. Ran every type of burn test I could. It passes the factory test, all be it slowly. Re-installed chipset drivers and IAA several times both cd and web versions. All other drives function at regular speeds. I don't know what's going on...

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Ok... silly question... did you check your IDE controllers to be sure UDMA is enabled?

You wouldn't be the first person to get sideswiped by a driver installation that defaults to off instead of on.

Same thing in the BIOS... try re-detecting the drive.

The reason I'm suggesting this is that, as a rule, hard disks don't tend to slow down over time... when it's hardware they usually just quit.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Well according to IAA that drive is currently using UDMA4. Everything looks fine there. In the bios all pio and udma modes are enabled. Cabling type is on auto, altough I set it explicitly to ATA 133 to make sure.

I agree with you it's very strange problem I will try switching the cable and redetecting the drive. Although I boubt that is the problem...

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Update... I have tried fiddling with bios settings to no avail. Used auto detect and manual input of drive parameters....

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
What is IAA?
and what actualy speed is the drive?

<b>Now can someone explain how we ever got the idea that baby bunnies lay multicolored eggs made of chocolate in our living rooms?" :lol: </b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images</A>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
specs of the hdd would be useful
Also, since it can't hurt, in command prompt under c (assuming that's ur 20 gig's letter) chkdsk/f and select y when prompted to do it next time u restart. Alos, what is the exact cable config?

Hilbert space is a big place.

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
IAA = Intel Application Accelerator: Some program that runs the DMA devices.

Ok well my drive is running at udma4 which apparently is only ata66 which is surprising. The drive specs are

ATA 100
20 gig
7200 rpm
Maxtor

My WDJB HD are running under udma 5 which sounds right at ATA100. According to the IAA that HD does not support ATA100!!
This is very strange because according to the Maxtor web site it should.

So I guess the question now is what should I trust. Both IAA and benchmarks support the fact that this drive is either ata 33 or 66 while the maxtor dissagrees. Mislabeled drive perhaps? The warranty is good for another month and a half so hopefully I can figure this out soon...

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Oops ok cable config.
Primary = master hd with the problem + slave other hard disk that I removed when the problems began
Secondary = master LG burner + slave
Raid slots = 2 x 100WDJB drives in raid.
All cables are ata 133 that came with my mobo. I tried switching cable to no avail.

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
hehe sorry the end of model umber is H4 not U4...

Well hopefully a second e-mail will get their attention.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I noticed some troubleshooting thing on their website and then poor performance. Check that out, and also if it doesn't work, I think it may get a tech's attention faster that way.

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Hehe.. maybe.. I ran all the special certicifaction stuff and it passes it. I also ran that special program to turn off the write protection or whatever...

It seems that this drive has decided to wake up and realise that it is slower than it should be... oh well...

Ok.. in preparation for a long and arduous fight with Maxtor, what recommendations can you make for a replacement primary HD. My system specs should be above. I don't care about space but performance... I do a lot of video and graphics redering...hence my large secondary drives...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Just tell them that the drive itself is not performing up to par as you have followed all their technical advice, everything checks out in settings and their utilities, yet the drive does not act like it should, hence your conclusion that it is a hardware defect.

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Thanks... I defenitely will call tech support tommorow and complain. With any luck i will get a replacement...