Sign in with
Your question

Wifi router buying advice

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 24, 2013 4:15:00 PM

I am planning to buy a new wifi router. My purpose is for home use. Maximum i'll connect 2 laptops and 2 desktops and may be a couple of mobile and tablets and more importantly my new LED smart TV. so max of 8 devices. I'm looking for a coverage of 1500sq. ft area. my budget is 200$ max. If router comes with modem ( ADSL) it an added advantage. Pls suggest me a good router. I heard that cisco's linksys is a best buy. I'm not a techie or a pro in networking. so pls suggest me a good one.
February 24, 2013 5:51:29 PM

You will find little difference between the brands. Key to selection is what support you current equipment has.

First if you have anything that cannot run N then you are wasting your time since even a single G device will degrade the performance. If you have a old router you should keep that to run these old G devices.

The best router for you is likely a mid priced router. Again it does little good to buy features your other equipment does not support. So buying routers that can do things like mimo (normally they say 300m or 450m for the uneducated consumer) don't help. Even dual band does you no good if none of your equipment supports 5g. Note if you have equipment that supports 5g and you want to use you need to look for a router that supports the ability to run 2.4g and 5g at the same time. Many times they say 150m+150m or 300m+300m it will use the word simultaneous in the description. Generally if you do not know or understand why a feature benefits you then you don't need it.

Which exact router is a moving target. Linksys used to be a favorite before cisco went to "cloud configuration" on some models....and now linksys is not even cisco so who knows. Still netgear,asus, and even tp-link or buffalo work well for most people. All vendors have crap in their product lines though. Unless you absolutely need some of the advanced features I would look at routers in the $100-$125 range.
m
l
March 6, 2013 3:32:38 AM

john-b691 said:
You will find little difference between the brands. Key to selection is what support you current equipment has.

First if you have anything that cannot run N then you are wasting your time since even a single G device will degrade the performance. If you have a old router you should keep that to run these old G devices.

The best router for you is likely a mid priced router. Again it does little good to buy features your other equipment does not support. So buying routers that can do things like mimo (normally they say 300m or 450m for the uneducated consumer) don't help. Even dual band does you no good if none of your equipment supports 5g. Note if you have equipment that supports 5g and you want to use you need to look for a router that supports the ability to run 2.4g and 5g at the same time. Many times they say 150m+150m or 300m+300m it will use the word simultaneous in the description. Generally if you do not know or understand why a feature benefits you then you don't need it.

Which exact router is a moving target. Linksys used to be a favorite before cisco went to "cloud configuration" on some models....and now linksys is not even cisco so who knows. Still netgear,asus, and even tp-link or buffalo work well for most people. All vendors have crap in their product lines though. Unless you absolutely need some of the advanced features I would look at routers in the $100-$125 range.

Thanks john.
m
l
March 9, 2013 8:08:38 AM

I have an Amped Wireless R20000G and I really like it. It's been very stable, has HARDCORE coverage. and it also has stuff like QoS, VLANs, USB sharing (local or Internet), Dual band (2.4/5Ghz) 4 guest networks per band with client isolation and B/W limiting, and lots of other stuff. 140 off amazon.com ;) 
m
l
!