Uncommon Valor - patch 2.41

lupi wrote:
> So I take it they are abandoning support for the game.

There still are certainties in life : death, taxes and Lupi having
imaginary problems with Matrixgames :)

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

ME

Lupi

Give it a break, Matrix has supported the game less then a month short
of 3 years from when it was released.

Andrew

On 5 Apr 2005 06:58:11 -0700, "eddysterckx@hotmail.com"
<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Final patch for Uncommon Valor :
>
>ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/uncommonvalor/uv-patch-v241.zip
>
>Greetz,
>
>Eddy Sterckx

Yea, this is probably just a patch to break my nocd crack. And can
this patch be installed on top of v2.30?

lupi

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

Give me a break. Commercial game companies do this. I thought we were
supposed to support Matrix and their higher prices because of what they do
for the community.

lupi

In article <yuY4e.213$BM.87@lakeread05>, lupi@cox.net says...

> I thought we were supposed to support Matrix and their higher
> prices because of what they do for the community.

Rather an interesting sentence, this, in that it manages to combine - in
only 20 words - two of the most common and popular argumentative
fallacies: The Strawman and Begging The Question.

The strawman, of course, is contained in the phrase, "I thought we were
supposed to support Matrix" due to "what they do for the community." I
can't think of a single person who's argued that Matrix deserves any
special support (beyond our broad and self-serving desire to see *every*
wargame designer be generally prosperous) for any reason other than
exchanging money for a game someone wants to try.

Begging the question, obviously, is trotted out with the phrase, "and
their higher prices." Not only has it not been even *remotely* shown -
much less proven - that Matrix has "higher prices" than ... well,
anyone, but the best evidence (Mr. Rutins already posted a comprehensive
list of Matrix prices) demonstrates clearly that Matrix's prices are
rather *low* when contrasted with other industry standards.

Nice try, though! There might be one or two 12-year-olds who read the
group and will be swayed by such a laughable, dimwitted *melange*.

--
Giftzwerg
***

Aldwyn Edain wrote:

> Yea, this is probably just a patch to break my nocd crack. And can
> this patch be installed on top of v2.30?

According to the docs it's a comprehensive patch, no prior patches
needed - but I doubt it as the size of the 2.41 patch is too small
compared to the 2.40 patch. So I would advise installing the 2.40 patch
first.

nocd crack : a loaded disk image works just as well - check out Alcohol
120%

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

lupi

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

> The strawman, of course, is contained in the phrase, "I thought we were
> supposed to support Matrix" due to "what they do for the community." I
> can't think of a single person who's argued that Matrix deserves any
> special support (beyond our broad and self-serving desire to see *every*
> wargame designer be generally prosperous) for any reason other than
> exchanging money for a game someone wants to try.

Try reading their forums, particularly those where anyone critiques anything
about them.

> Begging the question, obviously, is trotted out with the phrase, "and
> their higher prices." Not only has it not been even *remotely* shown -
> much less proven - that Matrix has "higher prices" than ... well,
> anyone, but the best evidence (Mr. Rutins already posted a comprehensive
> list of Matrix prices) demonstrates clearly that Matrix's prices are
> rather *low* when contrasted with other industry standards.

Guess you have difficulty managing their website and websites such as
ebworld?

> Nice try, though! There might be one or two 12-year-olds who read the
> group and will be swayed by such a laughable, dimwitted *melange*.
>

> --
> Giftzwerg

As long as they don't see your writings as scripture, I guess it is okay.

lupi

In article <yuY4e.213$BM.87@lakeread05>, lupi@cox.net says...
> Give me a break. Commercial game companies do this. I thought we were
> supposed to support Matrix and their higher prices because of what they do
> for the community.
>

> lupi

Personally, I support them because of their great games. One I got is
Campaigns on the Danube. A really nice game, and I don't consider
$20.00 a high price.

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 17:41:27 -0400, "lupi" <lupi@cox.net> wrote:

>So I take it they are abandoning support for the game.

After only 2 1/2 years? The bastards! If we let them get away with
this, eventually we'll end up with companies that don't even bother to
patch their games! oh wait...

In article <%b25e.264$BM.124@lakeread05>, lupi@cox.net says...

> > The strawman, of course, is contained in the phrase, "I thought we were
> > supposed to support Matrix" due to "what they do for the community." I
> > can't think of a single person who's argued that Matrix deserves any
> > special support (beyond our broad and self-serving desire to see *every*
> > wargame designer be generally prosperous) for any reason other than
> > exchanging money for a game someone wants to try.

> Try reading their forums, particularly those where anyone critiques anything
> about them.

<laughter>

Here we have another fallacious construct (though not so formal as the
previously-cataloged duo...) I call The Handwave. You rhetorically flap
your hand in the vague direction of "their forums," as though there's a
steaming pile of fresh and useful and obvious evidence over there, just
off camera.

Sorry, but if your contention is that someone, somewhere, at some time
asserted that Matrix was deserving of support for anything beyond the
purchasing experience, then it's up to you to produce their argument so
it can be evaluated - starting with an analysis of whether you've even
characterized it fairly.

> > Begging the question, obviously, is trotted out with the phrase, "and
> > their higher prices." Not only has it not been even *remotely* shown -
> > much less proven - that Matrix has "higher prices" than ... well,
> > anyone, but the best evidence (Mr. Rutins already posted a comprehensive
> > list of Matrix prices) demonstrates clearly that Matrix's prices are
> > rather *low* when contrasted with other industry standards.

> Guess you have difficulty managing their website and websites such as
> ebworld?

Is this meant as an argument of some sort?

Because the only reasonable way to demonstrate that Matrix manifests
"higher prices" is to produce the economic data. My suggestion would be
simply finding the average price of a Matrix game, and contrast it with
the average price of, say, an HPS game, or a Shrapnel game, or a
Battlefront game with an eye to whether there's a statistically-
significant difference.

The mere fact that you haven't bothered to support this point with any
numbers admits to two possible conclusions on our part:

(1) You're too lazy to get the data you need, preferring another
handwave, this time in the direction in the direction of "ebworld."

(2) You've looked at (some of) the data and decided that the last thing
your "argument" can withstand is a discussion of actual numbers.

Oh, do tell us which is the correct one.

--
Giftzwerg
***

James Gassaway wrote:
> Am I the only one who remembers that the _correct_ state of affairs
is to
> have games that don't NEED to have patches?

No, but there are a few things at work. Unlike the 1980s, we have a
direct link to our customers in the form of internet forums and e-mail.
This results in constant discussion, feedback and suggestions. We
decided from the beginning that we wanted to participate with our
customers and take their feedback to heart in improving our games.

This has lead to many of our games receiving a lot of post-release
feature updates, directly based on customer feedback. Contrast this
with many mainstream titles that still don't receive patches or don't
receive enough to fix major bugs, not to mention add any significant
features.

Uncommon Valor went through so many revisions because the game is loved
by many, including ourselves and we have been improving it since the
original release. This could easily be called UV 3.0 or 4.0 at this
point as the latest release included some updates brought back from War
in the Pacific development as well.

The trade-off to continuing post-release feature updates is that,
inevitably, they introduce a few new bugs. It's not a never-ending
cycle, but it's a trade-off that is generally happily accepted by
gamers in exchange for some continuing development and the
participation of the devlopment team. 2.41 was in many ways a "tie up
loose ends" patch that is meant to leave the game in a stable state
with all the new features that have been added over time working as
intended.

In all of these cases, customers are also free to opt out of the
upgrade cycle but the vast majority look forward to it and expect it,
not just for bugs.

Regards,

- Erik

lupi

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

Then post price data between said companies and actually prove me wrong vice
continuing your superfluous rhetoric.

Sorry I don't have the time to keep up with your soliloquies but don't stop
them on account of me. Odds are an ad hominem retort follows without factual
data.

lupi

In article <Wvh5e.33$H53.27@lakeread05>, lupi@cox.net says...

> Then post price data between said companies and actually prove me wrong vice
> continuing your superfluous rhetoric.

Nope. Sorry. Your contention is that Matrixgames charges "high"
prices. That's something you need to justify/argue/demonstrate.

> Sorry I don't have the time to keep up with your soliloquies but don't stop
> them on account of me.

The good news is that you can spell "soliloquies." The bad news is that
you've missed the whole point of what it means.

> Odds are an ad hominem retort follows without factual
> data.

I don't need any "factual data," as I'm not the one with an unproven
assertion on the table.

--
Giftzwerg
***

"Frank E" <fakeaddress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 17:41:27 -0400, "lupi" <lupi@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >So I take it they are abandoning support for the game.
> >

> After only 2 1/2 years? The bastards! If we let them get away with
> this, eventually we'll end up with companies that don't even bother to
> patch their games! oh wait...

Am I the only one who remembers that the _correct_ state of affairs is to
have games that don't NEED to have patches?

--
Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.

In article <eLh5e.13693$m31.134957@typhoon.sonic.net>, dtravel@sonic.net
says...

> > After only 2 1/2 years? The bastards! If we let them get away with
> > this, eventually we'll end up with companies that don't even bother to
> > patch their games! oh wait...
> >

> Am I the only one who remembers that the _correct_ state of affairs is to
> have games that don't NEED to have patches?

In a perfect world, this might be the correct state of affairs. But
given the fact that the "target" for a game designer is five separate
versions of MS-Windows implemented on roughly 87 zillion combinations
and permutations of software and hardware ... well, a patch or two seems
almost inevitable, eh?

--
Giftzwerg
***
"The problem with the entire concept of 'international law'
is that it can ensnare a Tony Blair while never laying a
finger on a Saddam Hussein."
- Mark Steyn

> Am I the only one who remembers that the _correct_ state of affairs is to
> have games that don't NEED to have patches?

It may be, but almost anything will need some patch. I company that
addresses this need is much better than one that doesn't. Also, patches
don't just fix bugs, they also add features.

lupi

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2004

Thank you, case proven.

> In article <eLh5e.13693$m31.134957@typhoon.sonic.net>, dtravel@sonic.net
> says...
> > >
> > > After only 2 1/2 years? The bastards! If we let them get away with
> > > this, eventually we'll end up with companies that don't even bother to
> > > patch their games! oh wait...
> > >

> > Am I the only one who remembers that the _correct_ state of affairs is
> > have games that don't NEED to have patches?
>
> In a perfect world, this might be the correct state of affairs. But
> given the fact that the "target" for a game designer is five separate
> versions of MS-Windows implemented on roughly 87 zillion combinations
> and permutations of software and hardware ... well, a patch or two seems
> almost inevitable, eh?

I wouldn't be upset if patches were addressing issues with specific
platforms or drivers, but they're not. They address issues like the Axis
player being able to issue orders to Allied units in a WWII game or
improperly working database pointers causing units to disappear from the
map. They address issues that would be OBVIOUS code errors if even a single
competent person spent one week testing the code.

I did not take it as a good sign when a high-level tester on the Matrix
forums said that the reason why so many of the reported bugs weren't getting
fixed in one game was because the ones they were correcting kept turning out
to not be the ones reported. If your code is so bug-ridden that you can't
even find a specific, frequently reported error, it wasn't ready for
release.

And as someone who has done tech support and coding, IMO you shouldn't be
worrying about adding new features post-release until and unless what you
are adding to is already stable and working.

--
Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.

In article <ENo5e.13739$m31.135259@typhoon.sonic.net>, dtravel@sonic.net
says...

> > In a perfect world, this might be the correct state of affairs. But
> > given the fact that the "target" for a game designer is five separate
> > versions of MS-Windows implemented on roughly 87 zillion combinations
> > and permutations of software and hardware ... well, a patch or two seems
> > almost inevitable, eh?
> >
> I wouldn't be upset if patches were addressing issues with specific
> platforms or drivers, but they're not. They address issues like the Axis
> player being able to issue orders to Allied units in a WWII game or
> improperly working database pointers causing units to disappear from the
> map. They address issues that would be OBVIOUS code errors if even a single
> competent person spent one week testing the code.

You've got a point. No doubt about it. Just last week I was bitching
about HARPOON3 and the fact that the scenario selection screen is
flagrantly broken - a problem so profound and obvious that it's
impossible to believe that anyone even *ran* the update before they
threw it out on the net. Oh, and their troglodytic "licensing" schema
means you can't even go back to a working version of the code.

I'm just saying that I don't necessarily mind patches or believe that
it's reasonable to expect perfect code on release; the Cathedral *and*
the Bazaar routinely crank out buggy programs.

--
Giftzwerg
***

In article <kGm5e.60$H53.49@lakeread05>, lupi@cox.net says...

> Thank you, case proven.

How's that?

--
Giftzwerg
***

On 6 Apr 2005 23:39:26 -0700, "eddysterckx@hotmail.com"
<eddysterckx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>nocd crack : a loaded disk image works just as well - check out Alcohol
>120%
>
>Greetz,
>
>Eddy Sterckx

Quite a few games won't install with virtual drives installed now.
Namely EA and Ubisoft games (Safedisk). I'll have to get the v2.40
patch and then find a new cd crack for v2.41or just stick with my
already cracked version. Do these last two patches fix any *glaring*
holes in UV?

James,

That's really too general for me to reply to. I don't believe that it
represents in any way the reality of our coding and support. In the
case of UV, the first two patches and part of the third focused on
stability before significant new features are added. That's our
general rule and it's common sense. However, once we get past any
initial fixes, we are not against adding some customer-requested
features.

We test our titles before release, with many competent people testing
for more than a week, so anything that slips through definitely would
not have been caught by your rule. ;-) Some are easier to check all
permutations with than others. Seriously though, in my opinion the
real test of a company is not if a bug slips through testing.

Inevitably, a bug will slip through (given complex games and complex
target hardware). Obviously, the goal is not to have any slip through
and certainly not many. However, once a post-release bug is reported,
how is it addressed? Every company has to deal with this and I believe
our track record is good.

Regards,

- Erik

"James Gassaway" <dtravel@sonic.net> wrote in news:eLh5e.13693$m31.134957
@typhoon.sonic.net:

> Am I the only one who remembers that the _correct_ state of affairs is to
> have games that don't NEED to have patches?

Yes, you are. The rest of us have reconciled ourselves to life in the real
world.