Sprint PCS w/ VPN

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Hi-
Do any of the Sprint PCS smartphones have VPN capability? My company has an
exchange mail server that can only be accessed via VPN into the corporate
network. Suggestions for a phone that can access this?

Thanks
Scott
9 answers Last reply
More about sprint
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    "Scott" <witheld> wrote in message
    news:xb2dnZ-2isFlO7bfRVn-sQ@comcast.com...
    > Hi-
    > Do any of the Sprint PCS smartphones have VPN capability? My company has
    an
    > exchange mail server that can only be accessed via VPN into the corporate
    > network. Suggestions for a phone that can access this?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Scott

    Not that I'm aware of for the phone, but if you are trying to do this while
    tethered to your laptop, it's not big deal, as the VPN is on the laptop.

    Bob
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:44:22 GMT, "Bob Smith"
    <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >
    >"Scott" <witheld> wrote in message
    >news:xb2dnZ-2isFlO7bfRVn-sQ@comcast.com...
    >> Hi-
    >> Do any of the Sprint PCS smartphones have VPN capability? My company has
    >an
    >> exchange mail server that can only be accessed via VPN into the corporate
    >> network. Suggestions for a phone that can access this?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Scott
    >
    >Not that I'm aware of for the phone, but if you are trying to do this while
    >tethered to your laptop, it's not big deal, as the VPN is on the laptop.

    Also be advised that most VPN's over the well-known TCP ports,
    including TCP port 80, 25, 110, 143, etc., will not work correctly
    over the Vision network. If possible, configure the VPN to use other
    less well known TCP ports or any UDP port and you should be fine.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:44:22 +0000, Bob Smith wrote:

    >
    > "Scott" <witheld> wrote in message
    > news:xb2dnZ-2isFlO7bfRVn-sQ@comcast.com...
    >> Hi-
    >> Do any of the Sprint PCS smartphones have VPN capability? My company has
    > an
    >> exchange mail server that can only be accessed via VPN into the corporate
    >> network. Suggestions for a phone that can access this?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Scott
    >
    > Not that I'm aware of for the phone, but if you are trying to do this while
    > tethered to your laptop, it's not big deal, as the VPN is on the laptop.
    >
    > Bob

    Bob well if the phone is using some version of ppc2002 or ppc2003 it will
    support pptp vpns and if I recall the later version also has support for
    basic ipsec. There are also some ppc clients you can buy for vpn access
    but usually they are apart of a package deal (for use with a server
    product the company is also pushing)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:08:48 -0600, Paul Miner wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:44:22 GMT, "Bob Smith"
    > <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>"Scott" <witheld> wrote in message
    >>news:xb2dnZ-2isFlO7bfRVn-sQ@comcast.com...
    >>> Hi-
    >>> Do any of the Sprint PCS smartphones have VPN capability? My company has
    >>an
    >>> exchange mail server that can only be accessed via VPN into the corporate
    >>> network. Suggestions for a phone that can access this?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Scott
    >>
    >>Not that I'm aware of for the phone, but if you are trying to do this while
    >>tethered to your laptop, it's not big deal, as the VPN is on the laptop.
    >
    > Also be advised that most VPN's over the well-known TCP ports,
    > including TCP port 80, 25, 110, 143, etc., will not work correctly
    > over the Vision network. If possible, configure the VPN to use other
    > less well known TCP ports or any UDP port and you should be fine.

    Well first off you don't want to do any kind of vpn traffic over tcp
    because of the nature of tcp(can cause very bad packet loss due to
    retry/window resizing). If you just want to do simple traffic forwarding
    you should do what I do and just use ssh(port 22) and a remote proxy
    server(such as squid). I used to use stunnel, www.stunnel.org , and run
    the client on any workstation I want to have an encrypted tunnel to my
    http proxy but since I am usually connected to my remote machines via
    ssh I can just use the builtin support for port forwarding provided by
    ssh. Which works perfectly over vision and good to do when using public
    wifi hotspots.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:16:26 -0500, Central <spam2@central.2y.net>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 18:08:48 -0600, Paul Miner wrote:
    >
    >> Also be advised that most VPN's over the well-known TCP ports,
    >> including TCP port 80, 25, 110, 143, etc., will not work correctly
    >> over the Vision network. If possible, configure the VPN to use other
    >> less well known TCP ports or any UDP port and you should be fine.
    >
    >Well first off you don't want to do any kind of vpn traffic over tcp

    I agree, but some enterprises require their folks to use TCP port 80,
    for example, in order to take advantage of existing firewall rules.
    It's certainly not ideal, though.

    >because of the nature of tcp(can cause very bad packet loss due to
    >retry/window resizing). If you just want to do simple traffic forwarding
    >you should do what I do and just use ssh(port 22) and a remote proxy
    >server(such as squid). I used to use stunnel, www.stunnel.org , and run
    >the client on any workstation I want to have an encrypted tunnel to my
    >http proxy but since I am usually connected to my remote machines via
    >ssh I can just use the builtin support for port forwarding provided by
    >ssh. Which works perfectly over vision and good to do when using public
    >wifi hotspots.

    Good to know, thanks.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:15:53 -0600, Paul Miner wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:16:26 -0500, Central <spam2@central.2y.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    > I agree, but some enterprises require their folks to use TCP port 80,
    > for example, in order to take advantage of existing firewall rules.
    > It's certainly not ideal, though.
    >
    In that case you are using a proxy not a vpn. A proxy over tcp port 80 is
    fine because the applications are not only aware of the proxy's
    relationship in the connection but also are not adding another tcp layer
    on top of it.

    With a vpn you are tunneling a new network layer for running various
    frames over it such as ethernet or ppp. In those cases you would not use
    tcp for your tunnel's connection but something like gre(protocol 47),
    esp(protocol 50), or even udp (protocol 17) all of which can go over ip
    and do not have the burden or overhead that tcp (especially tcp over tcp)
    does. Keep in mind some vpn implementations, lets use pptp for example,
    use a tcp port(1723) to initiate the connection and begin the handshake
    for the vpn tunnel (gre in this case).

    I have not had any problems running pptp or ipsec vpn setups over vision
    in case anyone was wondering.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 05:57:52 -0500, Central <spam2@central.2y.net>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:15:53 -0600, Paul Miner wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 01:16:26 -0500, Central <spam2@central.2y.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> I agree, but some enterprises require their folks to use TCP port 80,
    >> for example, in order to take advantage of existing firewall rules.
    >> It's certainly not ideal, though.
    >>
    >In that case you are using a proxy not a vpn.

    No, a proxy is completely different, as you pointed out in the part
    that I snipped. I'm talking about using a VPN over TCP port 80, (for
    example), but ports 21, 110, and 143 provide the same bad results.

    Plenty of Vision users attempt to use a VPN over TCP port 80, and in
    most cases they discover that it doesn't work. Cisco for sure, and I
    believe Nortel also, are two VPN solutions that don't work over
    Vision's TCP port 80. I've never seen a complaint about it in this
    group, so it may not be that big a deal. Like you said, most people
    wisely choose to use UDP rather than TCP.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:49:43 -0600, Paul Miner wrote:
    >
    > No, a proxy is completely different, as you pointed out in the part
    > that I snipped. I'm talking about using a VPN over TCP port 80, (for
    > example), but ports 21, 110, and 143 provide the same bad results.
    >
    > Plenty of Vision users attempt to use a VPN over TCP port 80, and in
    > most cases they discover that it doesn't work. Cisco for sure, and I
    > believe Nortel also, are two VPN solutions that don't work over
    > Vision's TCP port 80. I've never seen a complaint about it in this
    > group, so it may not be that big a deal. Like you said, most people
    > wisely choose to use UDP rather than TCP.

    For good reason since sprintpcs does a transparent proxy over port 80 for
    image resizing and various speedups for their portable devices. Try port
    22/tcp(ssh), and I haven't checked sprintpcs but also port 53 is usually
    left open, esp 53/tcp since dns udp has it's size limit of the returned
    data. In my usage of vision/tethered laptop I haven't had any port
    issues, except for the before mentioned 80/tcp not that I would know if it
    has changed. Unless I did a port scan to see what can reach my remote
    machine these days I couldn't say with absolute certainty that anything
    was open except for the services I use regularly pptp/ssh/icmp. I did test
    it out before and was pretty impressed with how open it was maybe I should
    check again for my own benefit.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

    Hello Scott,
    Yes it will work.
    i've been using the sanyo 8100 and now the 7400 to VPN to work for over
    two years. it is slow but keeps me mobile.


    --
    Rustproof
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cell Phone Forums: http://cellphoneforums.net
    View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t168899.html
Ask a new question

Read More

Sprint PCS Smartphones VPN Internet Service Providers