U160 or SATA?

AMD_Fanboy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
I currently have an adaptec U160 SCSI controller card with a single 15K RPM HD. Do you think switching to 2 SATA drives with RAID 0 would be faster? I understand that the bandwidth would be 160 vs 300 (150 x 2), but the SCSI drives spin up much faster, 15k RPM as opposed to dual 7200. Would it be worth it or should I keep my current setup?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Its much like comparing apples and pears really.
The raid 0 may achieve higher sustained transfer rates, but your 15k scsi will whoop ass with seek times... plus you allready have the 15k scsi unit.

I personally would keep your 15k scsi drive as the bootup OS drive... then use the raid 0 array as the working drive for media encoding and games etc.

<b>Now can someone explain how we ever got the idea that baby bunnies lay multicolored eggs made of chocolate in our living rooms?" :lol: </b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images</A>

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
You can get an LSI Logic MegaRaid Express 500 Ultra 160 card for $199 at www.scsi4me.com
Add another 15,000 rpm disk to the one you have and it would fly!!!
I just bought an IBM 36.7 GB 3.4 ms 15,000 rpm SCSI disk for $ 162 at www.pcprogress.com

AMD_Fanboy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
Ok, I am going to put one more question onto this thread.

Is the speed of 160 mb/s really cut down to 100 mb/s because of the speed limitations of the 32bit PCI bus? I mean, only hardcore server mainboards have the 64bit PCI's and they are the ones that look really long. So does a U160 card really mean U100 in a standard PCI slot where SATA is a true 150 mb/s? Thanks for all your help everyone.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AMD_Fanboy on 04/24/03 11:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
The theoretical limit of 32-bit PCI slots is 133 MB/S. I read somewhere that the real limit is somewhere around 106 MB/S, I guess there is always some unaccounted for overhead. This means that all devices connected to 32-bit PCI slots (ATA, SATA and SCSI controllers) are limited to this speed.
However, to reach this transfer speed you need at least 3 to 4 disks, so if you only have 2 then there is nothing to worry about. The most important thing to consider here is that this limit refers only to transfer speed, which is what you need when working with large files, like watching/editing several simultaneous video files, or copying large files from one disk to another.
On real life use, on the other hand, seek times are more important. Operating systems and applications need to find, open, read/write and close lots of files, and in this kind of operations transfer speeds are not as important as seek times, and this is where SCSI has the advantage. Most 7,200 rpm ATA and SATA drives have seek times of aprox. 9 ms. The new 10,000 rpm Raptors have seek times of 5.2 ms. SCSI 15,000 rpm drives have seek times of 3.4 - 3.6 ms.
One more thing to consider is that RAID 0 improves transfer speeds, but worsens seek times. So for your system/applications drive its better to have a single 15,000 rpm SCSI disk, and use RAID for your data, especially if your work with large video or database files.

It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gaviota on 04/24/03 01:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

AMD_Fanboy

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
Is there a limitation to EIDE and SATA that prevents manufacturers from making 15K RPM Hard Drives?

(I really should be paying you all for your help.)

gaviota

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Its probably a cost issue...the whole idea of IDE is to be economical, and a 15K rpm IDE drive would be just as expensive a SCSI one, just as a 10K rpm Raptor costs as much (or more?) than a 10K rpm SCSI drive.