I did it! I bought Squad Battles Eagles Strike

Hi All,
After all your feedback to my last post about squad battles I went out and
bought it. My initial impressions of the game are very good indeed. Whilst
steel panthers (probably) models all the squad leader type things for
infantry, it does so in the background with no real input from the player.
With squad battles you get to make the decisions with the weapons (this is
actually more detailed than squad leader as there only support weapons are
modelled separately from the squad counters). This game is the nearest I
have seen to the spirit of squad leader (not including the web based java
apps which I'm having trouble running).
Did the first tutorial and only managed to get a draw, although I didn't
know how to recrew a German mg42 we had captured (that is if you can). The
graphics seem a lot better than when viewed in a review, although I only
play it in 2d mode. Thoroughly enjoyed the tutorial mission and look forward
to going through the others!

RobP
6 answers Last reply
More about bought squad battles eagles strike
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    ROBERT POLLARD wrote:
    > Did the first tutorial and only managed to get a draw, although I
    didn't
    > know how to recrew a German mg42 we had captured (that is if you
    can).

    > RobP

    Just like loading any weapon, you highlight the weapon and the squad to
    carry it, but they must have the capacity (and be in the same hex, of
    course). It will be placed to the right (or below, if you are using
    that orientation for the detail display) of the unit, indicating the
    unit is "carrying" it.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "ROBERT POLLARD" <RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > After all your feedback to my last post about squad battles I went out
    > and bought it. My initial impressions of the game are very good indeed.
    > Whilst steel panthers (probably) models all the squad leader type things
    > for infantry, it does so in the background with no real input from the
    > player. With squad battles you get to make the decisions with the weapons
    > (this is actually more detailed than squad leader as there only support
    > weapons are modelled separately from the squad counters). This game is the
    > nearest I have seen to the spirit of squad leader (not including the web
    > based java apps which I'm having trouble running).
    > Did the first tutorial and only managed to get a draw, although I didn't
    > know how to recrew a German mg42 we had captured (that is if you can). The
    > graphics seem a lot better than when viewed in a review, although I only
    > play it in 2d mode. Thoroughly enjoyed the tutorial mission and look
    > forward to going through the others!
    >
    > RobP
    Anyone want to trade for Squad Battles....I have TOAW-COW with manual, no
    box or Korsum Pocket, complete or Rome Total War, complete
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "ROBERT POLLARD" <RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    > After all your feedback to my last post about squad battles I went out
    > and bought it. My initial impressions of the game are very good indeed.
    > Whilst steel panthers (probably) models all the squad leader type things
    > for infantry, it does so in the background with no real input from the
    > player. With squad battles you get to make the decisions with the weapons
    > (this is actually more detailed than squad leader as there only support
    > weapons are modelled separately from the squad counters). This game is the
    > nearest I have seen to the spirit of squad leader (not including the web
    > based java apps which I'm having trouble running).
    > Did the first tutorial and only managed to get a draw, although I didn't
    > know how to recrew a German mg42 we had captured (that is if you can). The
    > graphics seem a lot better than when viewed in a review, although I only
    > play it in 2d mode. Thoroughly enjoyed the tutorial mission and look
    > forward to going through the others!
    >
    > RobP
    I ordered mine today...
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    I've now played around 4 scenarios with this and have enjoyed each one. This
    has now made it to the top of my computer wargames chart. I might have to
    look at the others in the series...
    RobP

    "Norm" <Here@here.com> wrote in message

    > "ROBERT POLLARD" <RobertAPollard@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi All,
    >> After all your feedback to my last post about squad battles I went out
    >> and bought it. My initial impressions of the game are very good indeed.
    >> Whilst steel panthers (probably) models all the squad leader type things
    >> for infantry, it does so in the background with no real input from the
    >> player. With squad battles you get to make the decisions with the weapons
    >> (this is actually more detailed than squad leader as there only support
    >> weapons are modelled separately from the squad counters). This game is
    >> the nearest I have seen to the spirit of squad leader (not including the
    >> web based java apps which I'm having trouble running).
    >> Did the first tutorial and only managed to get a draw, although I didn't
    >> know how to recrew a German mg42 we had captured (that is if you can).
    >> The graphics seem a lot better than when viewed in a review, although I
    >> only play it in 2d mode. Thoroughly enjoyed the tutorial mission and look
    >> forward to going through the others!
    >>
    >> RobP
    > I ordered mine today...

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    "ROBERT POLLARD" <
    > I've now played around 4 scenarios with this and have enjoyed each one.
    This
    > has now made it to the top of my computer wargames chart. I might have to
    > look at the others in the series...
    > RobP

    http://www.embis.net/mbcfront.html

    Is a good spot for email opponents, which make the game even more enjoyable.

    Mike
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical (More info?)

    > I've now played around 4 scenarios with this and have enjoyed each one.
    > This has now made it to the top of my computer wargames chart. I might
    > have to look at the others in the series...
    > RobP

    I like the game mechanics of Squad Battles, I just wish the AI was decent :
    (

PC gaming Video Games