Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is this upgrade to 7 possible from OEM XP?

Last response: in Windows 7
June 24, 2012 8:37:20 PM

So, I've got an OEM version of XP from a previous computer whose mobo died. I'm able to get a good deal on an upgrade version of 7 Pro, but after plowing through a lot of licensing info, I'm still not clear on whether this would work or not.

I understand that the OEM install is tied to the original mobo. But, from what I've read, when upgrading from a previous version of windows to 7, you are basically giving up the use of the previous one for 7.

So, my question is (and bear with me on this one): If I were to install the OEM in a new system, would it be compatible with an upgrade pack to 7 Pro? (Keeping in mind the fact that I would be "giving up" the use of the OEM in favour of 7, so the OEM would never actually get used except as a redeeming code for the upgrade pack)

Does this actually make sense to anyone else? I don't want to use the OEM in the new system, just use it to get the upgrade pack to 7, then stick with that OS.

More about : upgrade oem

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 24, 2012 8:40:34 PM

dont install the old windows. simply install the windows 7 upgrade on the brand new system. do not connect to the internet. Once the installation is completed, put the windows 7 upgrade disc in the drive while windows is running, and run the upgrade procedure again. once it is completed you can activate your windows with microsoft.
June 24, 2012 8:47:02 PM

I've never used an upgrade before. I thought during the installation it would require/detect a previous version in order to complete it?

So if I do the install of the upgrade, keeping the system offline, do you mean to just re-install the upgrade, and it would somehow count itself as the previous version? Then use the OEM key to activate?

Sorry just a bit confused :) 
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 24, 2012 8:47:57 PM

yep that is correct.
Score
June 24, 2012 8:52:08 PM

Fantastic. Thanks a million.
Score
June 24, 2012 8:52:12 PM

Best answer selected by Soth897.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
June 24, 2012 8:53:13 PM

Hi :) 

Its also NOT LEGAL....

AND there is NO upgrade path from XP to 7 (unless you upgrade to Vista first)

All the best Brett :) 
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
June 24, 2012 8:54:36 PM

Plus 1 ^
Score
!