Sign in with
Your question

Problems enabling 5.1 in PowerDVD

Last response: in Components
April 23, 2003 4:26:18 AM

While trying to set up PowerDVD to play 5.1 surround through my Audigy sound card I have run into some troubles. The audio options panel in power dvd configuration menu allows you to specify several 2 speaker set ups or alternately use the spdif out. As I have an 5.1ch analog speaker set up connected to my audigy I selected the spdif out, however after doing this Powerdvd will only allow me to enable the lpcm 2.0 stereo format and not dolby digital 5.1. I try to select 5.1 through the several dvd's audio menu's but then it immediately reverts back to lcpm. Any help would be greatly appreciated

There is no right and wrong. There's only fun and boring.
April 23, 2003 8:39:19 AM

S/PDIF is not for analog output but digital output. You should only enable this option if you connect your speaker by coaxial or optical input. If you are using 5.1 analog you should set to 6 speakers.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
April 23, 2003 1:48:55 PM

Yeah well thats what I thought and why I specified I was using analog out in the post but seeing as that was the only option given other then the 2 speaker modes I thought Id try it, and as it did produce sound I wasnt sure about its meaning. Perhaps with nothing connected to the optical out on the audigy it just reverts back to default settings or something and thus I still got sound output. In anycase Ill have a look on the Power DVD site see if I cant find something about its surround options

Related resources
April 23, 2003 2:04:41 PM

Sorry my bad! turns out the version I have dont support multi-channel sound (duh). Was just in the bundled software that came with videocard so is just lamoid bottom of the range version, need to download an audio pack.

April 23, 2003 2:56:29 PM

As I think. I have four software DVD Players, all bundled, only the one bundled along Asus DVD-ROM is 2ch version while others are all 6ch version.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
!