Service in San Clemente California

Last response: in Network Providers
March 10, 2005 1:37:20 AM

I was driving through San Clemente California this evening and was surprised
to find no sprint coverage east of the 5 FWY. One of the main streets in SC
is Camino De Las Mares. There was no Sprint Coverage. My phone was set to
Sprint Only. The next time that I am in that area I will set my phone to
roaming to determine if it will roam on Verizon in digital mode.

Does anyone know of any Sprint plans to upgrade service in San Clemente
California?

-mij
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 7:40:36 PM

Yes there are improvements coming to San Clemente! Sprint has ordered
a new tower at the Shorecliffs Mobile Home Park which is located at
right off of Camino De Las Mares. Should be up in about two months.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:55:21 PM

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
> I was driving through San Clemente California this evening and was
surprised
> to find no sprint coverage east of the 5 FWY. One of the main streets in
SC
> is Camino De Las Mares. There was no Sprint Coverage. My phone was set to
> Sprint Only. The next time that I am in that area I will set my phone to
> roaming to determine if it will roam on Verizon in digital mode.
>
> Does anyone know of any Sprint plans to upgrade service in San Clemente
> California?
>
> -mij

I have no answers for you. I'm only replying as that was my old neighborhood
23 years ago ... Maybe Larry might have some info, as seems to know more
about new tower installations that the rest of us.

Bob
March 11, 2005 12:30:12 AM

That is great news! I was visiting a fried in that area this evening and
this time I put my phone in roaming mode rather than Sprint only. Much to my
surprise, I found that the phone bounced back and forth between Sprint's
network and Verizon digital coverage. Verizon performance was not any better
then Sprint. This is just a bad cell area.

<larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes there are improvements coming to San Clemente! Sprint has ordered
> a new tower at the Shorecliffs Mobile Home Park which is located at
> right off of Camino De Las Mares. Should be up in about two months.

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:55:58 AM

Yes it's always been a bad area for cell service. The residents have
fought off attempts by carriers to build towers for years. But Sprint
was persistent this time and won a 2 1/2 year long battle with the city
and will finally get their tower built. I believe the GSM carriers
have service there from a tower that Pacific Bell (now Cingular) got
way back before there were NIMBY's.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:18:40 AM

It is too bad that the state legislature cannot make a law that will prevent
local communities from blocking the installation of cell towers. I used to
live in the city of Yorba Linda. About 8 years ago, a woman was raped in a
Yorba Linda shopping center. She tried to call 911 before the rape occurred
and got dead air due to the Yorba Linda city council anti-cell-tower policy.
Needless to say, that policy has now been changed and there is a cell tower
in that shopping center that is disguised within an ornate structure.

-mij

> Yes it's always been a bad area for cell service. The residents have
> fought off attempts by carriers to build towers for years. But Sprint
> was persistent this time and won a 2 1/2 year long battle with the city
> and will finally get their tower built. I believe the GSM carriers
> have service there from a tower that Pacific Bell (now Cingular) got
> way back before there were NIMBY's.

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:06:59 AM

Wow are you talking about the Sprint/Verizon water tower in the
Eastlake Village shopping center? I remember how lucky Sprint was to
get that one back in 1998. Didn't know the history behind it though!
Yorba Linda has since changed their policy to allow cell sites in more
places. Sprint also has a new one disguised as a pine tree at a church
at Yorba Linda Blvd. & Ohio St.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:29:48 PM

That is the correct tower. I am amazed that you know that exact locations of
these towers and the how that are disguised.

> Wow are you talking about the Sprint/Verizon water tower in the
> Eastlake Village shopping center? I remember how lucky Sprint was to
> get that one back in 1998. Didn't know the history behind it though!
> Yorba Linda has since changed their policy to allow cell sites in more
> places. Sprint also has a new one disguised as a pine tree at a church
> at Yorba Linda Blvd. & Ohio St.

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:55:53 PM

I've been to pretty much all of the towers in Orange County. :)
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:59:29 PM

I still cannot find the towers that are providing service to my om
> I've been to pretty much all of the towers in Orange County. :)

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:04:44 PM

Larry,

I would like to satisfy my curiosity. I have not been able to locate the
towers that are providing service to my home in Laguna Niguel. I drove past
the baseball diamond in the park and could not find the tower. Maybe I
should put my phone into test mode an follow the signal using the DBm signal
strength indication. Is this tower concealed in some type of structure?

I would also like to locate the tower that is located on Towne Center drive.

Do you have pictures of these towers?

Thanks

-mij

<larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been to pretty much all of the towers in Orange County. :)

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 4:11:21 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:

> Larry,
>
> I would like to satisfy my curiosity. I have not been able to locate the
> towers that are providing service to my home in Laguna Niguel. I drove past
> the baseball diamond in the park and could not find the tower. Maybe I
> should put my phone into test mode an follow the signal using the DBm signal
> strength indication. Is this tower concealed in some type of structure?
>
> I would also like to locate the tower that is located on Towne Center drive.
>
> Do you have pictures of these towers?

When I worked on a City Planning Committee, we were frequently
approached by cell phone providers, asking to erect additional
towers.

*None* of them looked like towers. (They were all hidden behind
building facades, within existing lighting structures, etc.)

Notan
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 4:11:22 PM

I have seen several Verizon towers, one of them while it was being serviced
by Verizon. The tower is located at the Verizon Amphitheatre in Irvine
California. The tower is located in an industrial area and is HUGH!! Are all
Verizon towers this large? What is the size of Sprint towers?

-mij

> Mij Adyaw wrote:
>>
>> Larry,
>>
>> I would like to satisfy my curiosity. I have not been able to locate the
>> towers that are providing service to my home in Laguna Niguel. I drove
>> past
>> the baseball diamond in the park and could not find the tower. Maybe I
>> should put my phone into test mode an follow the signal using the DBm
>> signal
>> strength indication. Is this tower concealed in some type of structure?
>>
>> I would also like to locate the tower that is located on Towne Center
>> drive.
>>
>> Do you have pictures of these towers?
>
> When I worked on a City Planning Committee, we were frequently
> approached by cell phone providers, asking to erect additional
> towers.
>
> *None* of them looked like towers. (They were all hidden behind
> building facades, within existing lighting structures, etc.)
>
> Notan
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 4:24:18 PM

Mij Adyaw wrote:

> I have seen several Verizon towers, one of them while it was being serviced
> by Verizon. The tower is located at the Verizon Amphitheatre in Irvine
> California. The tower is located in an industrial area and is HUGH!! Are all
> Verizon towers this large? What is the size of Sprint towers?

Again, I think it varies.

With Planning Committees (hopefully) becoming more discerning as to where
towers are placed, more and more are "hidden."

I'd imagine, in the old(?) days, towers all looked like towers.

These days, everything is encouraged to "blend in with the environment."

Notan
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:18:25 PM

The tower at Crown Valley Park in the ballfield is a well disguised
antenna but is very visible. It's basically an antenna mounted on the
very top of a light pole (about 60-70 ft high) right on the field. The
equipment boxes for utility reading purposes are located in front of
the ball field right on the sidewalk/street of Crown Valley Pkwy. and
is labeled "Sprint PCS". I did take pictures of this tower last year
when it was almost complete. I'll be happy to send you one if I can
find your e-mail address.
!