New System Instability

I just built a new system with a Gigabyte 8inxp motherboard, 1 gig of DDR RAM, DVD-RW, Western Dig IDE Hard Drive, and ATI 9000 pro video. I am having some minor stability issues especially with Internet Explorer. Could this be memory related? I have generic host DDR 3200 memory running in dual memory mode. I got the memory with the rest of my components from Motherboards.com.
Stability is my number one priority.
I am running Windows XP, Office, and some web development Apps. As far as hardware: GA 8InXP, Pioneer DVD ROM, Pioneer DVD-RW, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro AGP video, and Western Digital IDE 60 GB internal hard drive.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by grpj on 04/23/03 05:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
6 answers Last reply
More about system instability
  1. Can you share as many details about your rig and the software you are using? That would help us figure out what is causing the stability issue.

<A HREF="http://www.millionmanlan.com/MMLDefault.asp" target="_new">Million Man LAN 2 is June 25-29, 2003 in Louisville Kentucky... Be there!</A>
  2. I am running Windows XP, Office, and some web development Apps. As far as hardware: GA 8InXP, Pioneer DVD ROM, Pioneer DVD-RW, ATI Radeon 9000 Pro AGP video, and Western Digital IDE 60 GB internal hard drive. I am using a P4 2.4gb chip and I don't overclock.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by grpj on 04/23/03 05:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  3. Can you describe the "instability issue?" Just calling it an instability issue is a little vague, since there are thousands of things that can cause instability issues.

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:
  4. Programs take an unusually long time to load, and the system freezes during internet explorer sessions. Like I said in my original post, stability is my main priority.
  5. Ok I have the same board and may be able to help. Fist do you have SP1. If so you must know that this mobo does not like sp1 and big memory. I was having the same problems and was forced to uninstall sp1. There is a problem with the memory handling. It will be fixed in sp2 so i'm told, or you can contact microsoft and they will send you a patch.

If not what timings are your ram modules running in and what slots are they in?

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!
  6. Thanks for the advice. Aren't there several drawbacks to running XP without SP1? Also, how do I go about getting this microsoft patch?

To answer your question, I have 1GB of RAM running at 266MHZ in slots 1 and 2.

Also, of the memory subject, do you get a message during POST stating the ATA133 BIOS was not installed because no drives were found? How do you get rid of this?
    Thanks again for your help.
    GRPJ
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory